(Topic ID: 258368)

Apollo 13 CPU/Power Board interface

By tomapollo13

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello, we have an Apollo 13 pin. The left slingshot solenoid went bad so I replaced it and the Q12 mosfet was shorted so I replace it as well. When I put the power board back in, the blanking light was blinking which I believe means the CPU board could not talk to the power board. I pulled and reseated the 20 pin ribbon cable, powered up and the shaker motor was going nuts. I then physically manipulated the ribbon cable a bit. Sometimes the shaker motor would go, sometimes teh left sling would fire and sometimes the moon would go round and round. I tried a different ribbon cable and the same result. I tested for other mosfet shorts and didn't find any, just q12 which we replaced. This seems like something on the CPU board, not the I/O board??? If I disconnect the ribbon cable all together, everything powers up okay (other than the blanking light blinking). I can't find details on the protocol between the boards. Could it be the upstream buffers??? What should I try next?

Tom

#2 4 years ago

It was working until you made the repair for the sling, right?
I’d examine the dual row headers that the ribbon between MPU and driver board connects to. Look for corrosion.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 4 years ago

Yes, for the most part. I actually started having some strange behavior a while ago when I removed the CPU board to install a remote battery holder. When I replaced it, at first the blanking light was blinking. I bought a new ribbon cable, installed it and the led was solid and the game played fine for a while and then the sling solenoid blew and the bad q12 mosfet. The machine is at a lake house so I can’t look at it now. I believe ther is some corrosion on the male headers for the 20 pin connections. Best way to clean it? Do we think that is the root cause?

#4 4 years ago

Yep. Those pins have to be perfect. There is no way to clean them. They must be removed (not trivial to do) and replaced.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apollo-13-cpu-power-board-interface and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.