• 5 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by arakissun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have very strange problems with my Apollo 13

Coils from connector J9,activate immediately after turn on the machine.All coils and diods are good and their transistors
Coils from connector J8,not active like these from J9,but not working from test.All coils and diods are good and their transistors
Flashes from connector J6,activate immediately after turn on the machine

Can it be the IC U2(J9),U1(J8),U4(J6)
I really don't know where to search

What is the road back after ICs?I think they go to MPU board,but I cannot read it from the manual

#2 10 years ago

I saw that the blanking LED on power board is not blink.I tried it with ribbon cable connect or disconnect from CPU board,no change.What can cause this?

#3 10 years ago

I think I have some progress
Replced U202-it was very very hot
Replaced DS1232 with TC1232

The result:
Now blanking led is flashing.That means that the I/O waiting for signal from CPU board.But when I connect the ribbon cable nothing-keeps flashing.If everything works normal it must be continuously on.

So I read that the two buffers 74LS138 must be in operation.I replaced them too and will test the board later
If this not work,I will change the connector for the ribbon cable or to take the CPU board from my working machine and place it on non working.That will give me the answer if CPU board now is the problem or still I/O have something failed

#4 10 years ago

Some step up and down or may be right way
I test MPU board on my w corking machine and the board is working.So the problem left on I/O board

After replacing the the LS138 IC board looks to work some normal
When ribbon cable is not connected,blanking led is flashing and when I press the switch for +50V and +20V,coils not firing and the flashers not flash.This is good.I have some progress again
When connect the ribbon cable,blanking led stay on.Very good.Looks like I/O get now information from MPU,but when I press power connector coils and flashes stays on

OK.I traced the ribbon cable and find U9 an U202(this that is near U10).So I replaced both.
But now machine working like before -led always flashing like before.

Any suggestions?
I think to replace the connectors on I/O board.

#5 10 years ago

Very,very good progress
Replaced all IC on I/O board and the long connector for -12V,+12V and etc.

The result:
Now coils working and not firing when +50v comes,same with the flashers-no problems
CPU control the playfield lights right
It need to be replaced 2 or 3 TIP122 and to adjust some switches
I think I/O board now work correctly

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apollo-13-coils-and-flashes-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.