Stenciled_(resized).JPG
Stencil_1_(resized).JPG
Base_Coat_Done_(resized).JPG
IMG_1461_(resized).JPG
IMG_1463_(resized).JPG
Apocalypse_Now_Art_LEFT_(resized).jpg
Cabinet_(resized).png
Apocalypse_BG_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SealClubber.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I bought a NOS complete Apocalypse Now playfield from my buddy. I figure I will never get a donor Jeutel game to put it in. However, MyPinballs.com is making a programmable Bally/Stern MPU. I started translation on the Owners Manual and began mapping the connectors. The switch matrix looks to be the same 5x8 as Bally. There is no lamp matrix or any other circuit boards under the playfield. I am pretty sure I can get the game to work if I drop the playfield in a Bally cabinet, redo the connectors and write the code.
I have the artwork concept done and a donor cabinet. I think the hardest part will be actually making a translite/Backglass as my skills are non-existant here. This will be a long project as I travel a lot and have two wee ones but here goes the beginning stages.
I am going to try using a handheld scanner to grab Rambolicious off the playfield and use that as the basis for my BG. I found Apocalypse Now font off the internet so that part is easy. I will have to clean up the image, complete the circle and get rid of the inserts and stuff. I foresee mapping the display windows so they line up correctly to be a major PITA but maybe I will be wrong. Here is a quick powerpoint mockup. The backbox will be solid burgundy with the black stenciling.

Apocalypse_BG_(resized).pngApocalypse_BG_(resized).png
Cabinet_(resized).pngCabinet_(resized).png

#2 7 years ago

I have a 6M$M cabinet which is complete and in pretty good shape, just missing the lock down bar and glass, which I am getting from my buddy. I have two backboxes for the game, though each have issues, together I can make one good one as long as I don't break anything when I knock them apart. Both are missing the transformer, displays and boards but they are easy to source. They do have all the other hardware and wiring harnesses which is nice. I like that the 6M$M's lamp/display panel has multiple choices to place the 5 displays and pretty much has the display holes where I want them. I am debating whether to just use the original and plug up the two unused display holes or cut a new panel using the original as a guide. Apocalypse Now used 7-digit displays but I am going to use 6 digit ones since I have a bunch of extras. I will just have to code the points values lower.

#4 7 years ago

Thank you. I originally wanted to put it in the sides of the backbox but it doesn't look good in the mockup.

#5 7 years ago

Jeff at PinballPimp was able to make me custom stencils from my concept art. I think the artwork looks great. Thank you Jeff. I can't wait to get started on the cabinet redo when I get back from my trip.

Apocalypse_Now_Art_LEFT_(resized).jpgApocalypse_Now_Art_LEFT_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Does anyone remember the guy who would cut custom plastic protectors? edit: Joe at Laseriffic is going to make me a set.

#7 7 years ago

Lower Cab is stripped and initial sanding, putty in place.
The lower cab was in pretty good shape but I am guessing it was stored on its bottom since much of the channel holding the bottom panel was missing or crumbling. I reglued the plies back together and installed 3/8" square dowel in the missing areas.

IMG_1463_(resized).JPGIMG_1463_(resized).JPG

IMG_1461_(resized).JPGIMG_1461_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

Base Coat Done on the lower cab. Now I have to wait for it to cure to start stenciling. I will have to build a backbox as my two doners are a delaminating mess. But at least I can use them as a template for my router. Base_Coat_Done_(resized).JPGBase_Coat_Done_(resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

Thank you, I hope so. This is my first time doing any of this.

1 week later
#11 7 years ago

First Stencil applied to the lower cab.

Stencil_1_(resized).JPGStencil_1_(resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

Couple of questions. What is the best way to freshen up the side rails? I know I read it before but I can't find it now. I think I remember a green scotchbrite pad but not sure.

When knocking down the sharp edges of the paint from the stencil, do you go high to low, along the edge, light to dark color etc...? Do you use 400 wet or go finer or use something else. ?

#15 7 years ago

The pics in the game gallery are mine.

#18 7 years ago

Got the lower cab stenciled. Next week I will lay down a clearcoat. I hope I can do it well enough to not streak. Then I can reassemble and start work on the backbox.

Stenciled_(resized).JPGStenciled_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#19 7 years ago

Got my playfield protectors from Laseriffic. They fit perfectly the first time. Thanks Joe. So if you are one of the handful of people in the world who own this game, you can now rest in peace your plastics will be protected.

I put on two coats of clear sanding with 400 wet between coats. There is some streaking. I hope it evens out after 1000 grit sanding and polishing. Otherwise I will have to lay another coat.

Cleaned my lower cab harness and soldered in new flipper switches and the on/off switch which was missing.

Also installed my Rottendog power board to the transformer. I am not impressed with the fuse clips. They are physically weak and showing some tarnish. One bent when I pulled out the fuses to check them. I am glad I did as it also came with one incorrect fuse (too high).

#20 7 years ago

Question, can I use Treasure Cove's polishing kit on the cab clearcoat?

1 year later
#21 6 years ago

OK, started working on this project again. Made a new backbox using a circular saw, plunge router, orbital sander and narrow crown staple gun. I was able to reuse the front trim pieces and some of the gussets. If I were to do this again (I hope not) I will buy a table saw and table for my router. Now to start painting.

New backbox (resized).JPGNew backbox (resized).JPG

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

Backbox is basically done. Need to clearcoat and buff it. I won’t do this for my next pin I do but I cleared the lower cab and it would look weird if I don’t. Pinball pimp did a great job on these stencils.

6E8433B8-DFF3-4CD2-8083-B8A1E99BEE12 (resized).jpeg6E8433B8-DFF3-4CD2-8083-B8A1E99BEE12 (resized).jpeg
FA37BC5A-6624-4297-BB7F-9A1CAE65EF86 (resized).jpegFA37BC5A-6624-4297-BB7F-9A1CAE65EF86 (resized).jpeg

#23 6 years ago

Now to finish the lamp / display board.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SealClubber.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apocalypse-now-redux?tu=SealClubber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.