Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Richthofen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Late Summer 2012 089.JPG
    two pin livingroom.jpg
    photo4.JPG
    image.jpg
    2014-07-23 20.42.29.jpg
    image-468.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Anyone else own any pins and live in an apt? I purchased TSPP and i have a feeling everyone in the building must hate me lol. This building has 50 apts in it and i'm on the top floor. I have the audio turned down a bit, but holy shit, i reached alien invasion today and i guess there's a separate audio level for that since it was very loud. There was no way i was letting the balls drop to adjust the sound levels, i just had to continue, had a smile from ear to ear It was a pretty long game, my best game yet "70 million". I'm loving this so much. 5 ball multiball is intense and so loud lol

Anyone else in the same situation?

#2 10 years ago

http://www.pinnovators.com/. Play with headphones on , you can play as loud as you want.

#3 10 years ago

Funny you say that ! I just picked up a TSPP - the neighbor knocked on the door and said to turn it down. I have 4-other pins in the same room and no complaints in 4 years . Must be the 5 flippers I just rebuilt .

#4 10 years ago

Just the mechanical sounds of pinball machines I find very, very loud. The older they are, the louder they are, too...

#5 10 years ago

I have 5 in my apartment. Haven't had any grizzles so far ... But they aren't too loud and I definitely don't play them after midnight.

image-468.jpgimage-468.jpg

rd

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I have 5 in my apartment. Haven't had any grizzles so far ... But they aren't too loud and I definitely don't play them after midnight.

rd

image-468.jpg 202 KB

Where are the 89 others ? In the parking lot ?

#7 10 years ago

Nice setup rotordave. I'm already thinking of maybe converting my spare room into a games room, i'll be able to fit about three or four more

I won't be using headphones, i like it the way it is. It's more or less the sound of the mechanics that would most likely bother my neighbors. I haven't heard any complaints yet and probably won't, since I don't play it very early in the morning or late at night. Just wondering what they think sometimes lol

#8 10 years ago

There are ways you can dampen the mechanical sounds. Putting blankets, pillows, or insulation in the cab. Just be very careful not to cover heat producing elements. I've seen ppl cut insulation to fit nicely around components like the transformer.

#9 10 years ago

stern pinballs are too loud mechanical coils than bally/wms
    it is the reality..

best pinballs in appartment are not stern, i have a ST le and this is too loud noise than any other pinball
    i'm disapointed also and i don't know how to do

#10 10 years ago

We bought a pair of flip flops, cut them in half, put a piece under each leg... Helped the thumps.

#11 10 years ago

i don't understand why bally /wms is better with the mechanical noise?

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

Where are the 89 others ? In the parking lot ?

Haha no, in my house which is 40 minutes away from the apartment.

rd.

#13 10 years ago

I'm not worried. As long as i don't play too early or too late, there's not much they can do. It's kinda like people with loud music and bass that rumbles everything.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

There are ways you can dampen the mechanical sounds. Putting blankets, pillows, or insulation in the cab. Just be very careful not to cover heat producing elements. I've seen ppl cut insulation to fit nicely around components like the transformer.

I've thought about this as well.

Maybe you could pack the bottom of the cabinet with insulation .. We have "batts" which are 4" thick and go in your walls. This would work. Would it make a big difference? I don't know ...

rd

#15 10 years ago

I had one in my hotel room for 2 weeks.

No one complained.

Housekeeping was amused.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from domijr:

Nice setup rotordave. I'm already thinking of maybe converting my spare room into a games room, i'll be able to fit about three or four more
    I won't be using headphones, i like it the way it is. It's more or less the sound of the mechanics that would most likely bother my neighbors. I haven't heard any complaints yet and probably won't, since I don't play it very early in the morning or late at night. Just wondering what they think sometimes lol

A lot of it would come down to the age and construction of the apartment building.

Old apartments have thinner walls between apartments. New apartments have double drywall and noise insulation between apartments (in NZ anyway....)

Also thickness of concrete floor plates will make a difference to upstairs and downstairs tenants.

And positioning of the pin ... If you put it hard up against a tenancy dividing wall, the Neighbour will probably hear it. If you put it against a centre wall, it's less likely to be heard.

rd

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No one complained.
    Housekeeping was amused.

Are you Rick Majerus?

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

As one does ....

Living in sin at the Holiday Inn!

rd.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Are you Rick Majerus?

???

#20 10 years ago

I don't know TSPP, but my LOTR has a setting for volume effects. When the game gets exciting, like movie modes, or destroy the ring, the volume gets louder. It's really cool when noise isn't an issue, but when I play at night, and my kids are asleep, I turn the setting off, and the volume remains constant. TSPP may have a similar setting. I think everybody is right though, the speakers are the least of your concerns. I'd turn off, or turn down the knocker too if you're worried.

Another thought might be to simply knock on your neighbours doors, and say, "Hey, I'm a big fan of pinball. I own one, and I play a lot, but never want the noise to be a problem for you. I'll try to be respectful of the clock. Knock on my door if you ever want to play!"

I for one, would be thrilled to have somebody knock on my door, and say, "Hey, I have a loud hobby (carpentry, music, etc etc), but I don't want to be a PITA. Please let me know if it becomes a nuisance"

A little neighbourly communication goes a long way. My kids play guitar and drums, so I let the neighbours know there may be a lot of noise coming out of basement from time to time. I've had no issues.

I bet a foam pad under the machine would do wonders towards dampening what goes down through the floor.

Unfortunately, I find I play the MOST after 10 pm once my household has settled down, and my kids are in bed. Luckily they sleep on the 2nd floor, and my pins are in the basement.

#21 10 years ago

Basketball coach who lived in a hotel - I probably shouldn't assume pinheads know or care about college basketball.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

image-468.jpg 202 KB

Nice line up !

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Basketball coach who lived in a hotel - I probably shouldn't assume pinheads know or care about college basketball.

I Googled the name, but it still did not make sense.

Basketball references are over my head, lol.

But yes, I do live in a hotel lately....

#24 10 years ago

Back when I was in an apartment, we were ont he 2nd floor and had 4 pins. When we moved in, I went to the downstaris neighbor, and asked that if we were too loud with the games or music, to just let us know.

His response: "if you're too loud, I will wonder why I was not invited!" He was the best neighbor ever.

Chris

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I don't know TSPP, but my LOTR has a setting for volume effects. When the game gets exciting, like movie modes, or destroy the ring, the volume gets louder. It's really cool when noise isn't an issue, but when I play at night, and my kids are asleep, I turn the setting off, and the volume remains constant. TSPP may have a similar setting. I think everybody is right though, the speakers are the least of your concerns. I'd turn off, or turn down the knocker too if you're worried.
    Another thought might be to simply knock on your neighbours doors, and say, "Hey, I'm a big fan of pinball. I own one, and I play a lot, but never want the noise to be a problem for you. I'll try to be respectful of the clock. Knock on my door if you ever want to play!"
    I for one, would be thrilled to have somebody knock on my door, and say, "Hey, I have a loud hobby (carpentry, music, etc etc), but I don't want to be a PITA. Please let me know if it becomes a nuisance"
    A little neighbourly communication goes a long way. My kids play guitar and drums, so I let the neighbours know there may be a lot of noise coming out of basement from time to time. I've had no issues.
    I bet a foam pad under the machine would do wonders towards dampening what goes down through the floor.
    Unfortunately, I find I play the MOST after 10 pm once my household has settled down, and my kids are in bed. Luckily they sleep on the 2nd floor, and my pins are in the basement.

I see background music, but that isn't it. I have that setting on the factory setting which is 1, the loudest i believe, if i change it to let's say 5, i can't hear much of the background music, but everything else is still at the volume setting that i selected from the coin door volume. But when i'm in multiball, it seems to get much louder. There must be another setting somewhere. Either way, it get's my heart pumping

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from domijr:

I see background music, but that isn't it. I have that setting on the factory setting which is 1, the loudest i believe, if i change it to let's say 5, i can't hear much of the background music, but everything else is still at the volume setting that i selected from the coin door volume. But when i'm in multiball, it seems to get much louder. There must be another setting somewhere. Either way, it get's my heart pumping

I think in LOTR it's called "Allow Volume Effects". I'm away from my machine right now.

#27 10 years ago

Of course you could pull one wire off of the downward firing speaker and kill 60% of the noise to your lower neighbors.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I think in LOTR it's called "Allow Volume Effects". I'm away from my machine right now.

I see that now, just turned it off, thanks

#29 10 years ago

Had a Gulfstream EM in the apartment in college. It was loud. You can't really adjust chimes. Good thing the whole building was students and no one cared (as far as I know).

#30 10 years ago

I lived in a ground level apt for several years and my pins stayed in the garage so it was a seasonal thing. My videos mostly were in my kitchen and living room that is until the GF (now EX) moved in then they went to the garage to make room for furniture... My neighbor from up stairs would come out and drink beer and play terminator 2 or test out new acquisitions.

6 months later
    #31 9 years ago

Ground floor, have three. One grumpy neighbor upstairs but she's like that regardless if anything goes on. Neighbors next to me never complain. Sound does travel up.

2014-07-23 20.42.29.jpg2014-07-23 20.42.29.jpg

#32 9 years ago

Yup, but it's a small building. Upstairs neighbors love it and come to play occasionally. No one downstairs to complain. And the next door neighbor...well, they get to complain when their 3 pound dog shuts up. (read: never)

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Had a Gulfstream EM in the apartment in college. It was loud. You can't really adjust chimes. Good thing the whole building was students and no one cared (as far as I know).

You can adjust chimes with tape and a bit of foam. Just add it to one end and you will hear a volume drop. More will get quieter. If you go between chimes you'll really bring the volume down.

#34 9 years ago

We stock buckwerx pinball audio adapters, great for quiet game play!

http://pinballpro.net/?s=Buckwerx&post_type=product
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Yup, but it's a small building. Upstairs neighbors love it and come to play occasionally. No one downstairs to complain. And the next door neighbor...well, they get to complain when their 3 pound dog shuts up. (read: never)

Yeah I have a yappy dog next door too. I just turn the games up to 28.

#36 9 years ago

We always lived in a small house and managed to cramp pinballs in. Out with the dining table, no other stuff we don't need, all available space used to the max. Last house fitted 9, this one can fit 12 easily, if we need to put in more, the bed will go and a sofabed will be installed, looool. Not sure hub shares my vision yet

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You can adjust chimes with tape and a bit of foam.

I'm sure you are right, but it was more fun to let the neighbors know that it was pinball and beer time.
    Besides, we were ignorant college kids.

#38 9 years ago

I live in an apartment. I have about 14 games in my apartment at the moment. Heres one room.

photo4.JPGphoto4.JPG
    #39 9 years ago

I have 8 in a 3rd floor apartment, nobody has ever complained and I often play randomly at all hours of the night

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I live in an apartment. I have about 14 games in my apartment at the moment. Heres one room.

photo4.JPG 259 KB

I don't feel so guilty having three in an apartment now. People give me weird looks when I tell them I have three pins. Then again, don't really care what they think.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

I have 8 in a 3rd floor apartment, nobody has ever complained and I often play randomly at all hours of the night

Did you get a hernia? Oof, that's a lot. Glad I live on ground floor.

#42 9 years ago

I had games in my last apartment in Boston's historic South End. 2nd floor of an old brownstone with no elevator. NOT FUN to move.

Neighbors never complained, but the building was old and brick and probably insulated well.

two pin livingroom.jpgtwo pin livingroom.jpg Late Summer 2012 089.JPGLate Summer 2012 089.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apartment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.