E70F6DB1-157F-4560-AF9A-8A4C3744AA39 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230904_161022372 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230904_161020044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 11.29.46 AM (resized).png
20230720_120453.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3956 Rules shared by Josh Kugler Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #5336 Link to streaming at Ocelot. Posted by flynnibus (12 months ago)

Post #6650 Gameplay explanation video from American Pinball. Posted by Tommy-dog (10 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

hit the ball somewhere and it will go up a ramp somewhere

Yeah man I hate that shit.

#288 1 year ago

I know this is Levi's department but I can't wait to see all these interested parties line up to not buy yet another unlicensed game. We're still at the dreamer phase where every unseen game is amazing.

#676 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

My guess is: it has a purpose for stability and not good to throw away.

Yup. Someone brings a couple games to PATZ every year with homemade angle iron legs, no flare. They're wobbly as heck.

#681 1 year ago
Quoted from Billygrippo:

I thought jjp’s was ridiculous where Eric had the mob hat sitting next to a table of wine and roses…..talk about cheesy shit!

You guys ever seen any of those Williams '90s VHS promos? Cheesy as cheddar. It's an industry tradition, made by nerds, for nerds. They don't need to be broadcast TV caliber informercials (which incidentally are also pure cheese). No outsider is going to stumble onto that Godfather featurette and 1. watch the whole thing, or 2. hand someone $12k for a toy because the video was cool.

#684 1 year ago

That layout could not fall more flat to my eyes, on the heels of some of the most creative designs in recent history. Wall of targets in front of a pop bumper nest with rollovers, necessary design staple of an era when two-inch flippers couldn't get the ball back up to the top of the playfield. Let it go. Open up the middle, be creative.

I won't name other names, but some of these designers are regressing from their '90s creative peak. Thirty years backward instead of forward. Thankfully lots of new blood entering the industry.

#808 1 year ago

TPF shaping up to be a tasty show between the BBQ and the inevitable GTF ice cream stand.

#974 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Pinball companies then jacked their prices up to match, which alienated/lost a lot of collectors and potential buyers.

Stern is in the process of more than doubling their square footage, so it seems to be working out so far.

#1063 1 year ago

Surprised you could figure out how to ride that American contraption.

#1259 1 year ago

Piano hinge will make for a very tough game to transport for many of us. My hatchback just barely has the headroom for a WPC/Stern. If you don't know why the hinge makes a difference, think about which part of the cabinet the head typically rests on.

Not to mention the turret, but I assume that's easily removable.

#1273 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The limited version with the tank stuff is not for people with any kind of space concerns. [...] Smaller vehicle? Don't buy it.

Even the regular version most likely won't fit in my vehicle. I have less than an inch of clearance above a typical modern game. Strange Science (piano hinge) wouldn't fit. This looks like it won't either.

#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sounds like you'll have to borrow a pickup to move this one!

Yeah, I got a guy. Unless this plays radically different from every AP game to date I won't be in the market anyway. Just puttin' it out there for those of us still rocking a Honda Fit in a F-150 world.

#1359 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

The train is going to leave the station on these guys. What are they waiting for?

You're just going through withdrawal since there hasn't been a reveal in like two days. Hype train will be right back on the tracks whenever they announce. At this point they may as well take their time and have their own moment, let the big batch of recent reveals get stale.

If you think this wait is rough, no one's going to announce another game until like, summer.

#1363 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

three consecutive Saturday mornings at 9:00 AM Eastern

Just a godawful time to post if you want maximum hype. Friday night news dump is a time-honored tradition of PR people to avoid attention. Saturday morning just as effective.

#1387 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

why do people think that is a camera?

We're still in the daydreaming phase of the hype cycle.

#1438 1 year ago

No way man it's a wormhole to a desert planet with aliens that look suspiciously like ancient Egyptians... or am I mixing up my pins?

#1529 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

There's a hinge across the entire front of it. I'm guessing they wanted more hinge for more support

Nah, it's just for head placement. Normal hinges swing the head too far forward to look tank-like.

#1958 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

So glad someone brought this up.

Yeah me too I really want to rehash old politics with people who can't even tell the difference between a screw and a camera.

#1995 1 year ago

Holy shit guys, this just in, it has three cameras.
zoomandenhance.pngzoomandenhance.png

#3263 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Attack from Mars is a thinly disguised remix of Mars Attacks!

Common misconception, but the pin was released a full year before the film, and in development a year before that. I mean I'm sure the Williams guys grew up on Mars Attacks trading cards or whatever.

Anyway, your overall point stands, regarding the quality of unlicensed Williams games of that era. They nailed the whole aesthetic package better than nearly every game before or since.

#3267 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

huge staionary microphone

Minor quibble, but it did bother me that captain whatshisname was holding the giant mic stand aloft, base and all. Feels like the direction was "do something with your hands!" We get annoyed by the dumbest crap.

Ideally all these acting concerns will melt away when the footage is treated to look old and integrated into a (hopefully) fun game.

#3303 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

a little alien pops out of the tank sometimes.

I'm guessing they wanted at least a few hundred people at TPF to enjoy that surprise in person, unspoiled by videos. Like in the old days, you'd walk into a bar, play TAF, the hand would come out, and you'd be like "whaaat?!?"

#3327 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

please don’t let my 2nd impression come via cell phone footage

Log off for a few days I guess.

#3496 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

the multi-signed apron and lenticular 3-D translite look pretty nice.

Looks like enough space in the corner for rosh to sign my apron.

#3502 1 year ago
Quoted from Invictus:

Personally, I can't seem to connect with the street art and comic aesthetics, and the FF vibe.

What street do you live on?

#3544 1 year ago
Quoted from reffob:

Why dubstep??

Most complaints in the thread are overblown to me, but this would really bug me if it's very prevalent in the game.

#3549 1 year ago

Mostly I'm disappointed to learn that Vegas is boring these days.

#3560 1 year ago
Quoted from jellikit:

You can let everyone know once you've got it setup at home.

Spicy! Slim chance of course, but at least they got a different playfield designer this time around. Trying to reserve judgement until I play it.

#3986 1 year ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

That’s because they aren’t causing seizures like pinstadiums and also don’t wash out the playfield LEDs

Every clip I've seen of GTF so far the entire playfield and everything on it is overwhelmed by the blacklight glow of those bars.

#4091 1 year ago

Unfortunate that for some folks pinball fandom became like a cult of personality where once you're in on something, every aspect of it is awesome, and anyone who dares criticize is a heretic, or worse... a hater! So tribal.

#4431 1 year ago

Methos is my spirit animal.

#4458 1 year ago

I'm an idiot for just now realizing this, but yeah, "there's a shuttle in it!" was probably a huge reason Space Shuttle was a hit. I'd always heard it saved the industry, never understood why since to me it's an average game at best, but I'm not really charmed by static toys. Now I sorta get it.

#4462 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

constant multiball, cool sound, and return of speech after a few years.

As someone who got into pinball in the '90s, I foolishly took all this stuff for granted. Thanks for everything, Barry and crew!

#4464 1 year ago

Damn, now I want a Space Shuttle all of a sudden.

#4466 1 year ago

I mean, they weren't always yellow.

#4474 1 year ago

Great stump speech but I'll be ripping some FF ramps while you guys mold custom replacement tanks.

#4490 1 year ago

The only time I played FF I couldn't hear it. But I've heard the band, they're alright, don't make wanna put my tender heart in a blender.

#4525 1 year ago

I like cookies.

#4529 1 year ago
Quoted from Metaluna5:

If it's OK for you to chew apart my family, who worked hard to create this game, INCLUDING THE TOYS, I surely have the right to reciprocate.

Dude, no one in this thread had any clue who designed the toys. You chose to take impersonal criticism personally. I don't care if the pope's nephew's girlfriend created something, if people don't like it, they're gonna criticize it.

#4532 1 year ago

"Chew apart my family," lol. The more I read that post the more petulant and ridiculous it sounds.

Well, on the plus side, it sounds like everyone's 3D printed toy complaints are definitely being heard. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

#4561 1 year ago

Nepotism strikes again.

#4661 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Why don't they just go with SLA printed toys?

Probably because they bought a bunch of FDM printers. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

#4688 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I bet most folks bitching about the toys haven't even seen the game in person.

Most people praising it haven't seen it in person. Are their compliments invalid? Most people haven't seen it period. This is how we roll, for better or worse.

#4696 1 year ago

Steaks are high. We had some real beef in here. Bunch of bull if you ask me.

We're back, baby!

#4712 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

whoah this 3D printed thing went on for waaaaaaay too long. Ok, it has 3D printed toys in -

You can't make this shit up.

#4907 12 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I don't know a single FF song.

That is an impressive feat in 2023.

#4913 12 months ago
Quoted from tkur85:

Each game was different as far as air balls go, but i had at least 5 balls fly right over my flippers so no chance to prevent a drain.

This is so egregiously, fundamentally bad that I can't imagine a world in which a game designer or manufacturer could even get past the whitewood stage with it playing like this, much less show it off and take orders.

#4915 12 months ago

Agreed.

#4923 12 months ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Come check out those 3D printed sculpts in person!

You know in fairness, with those light bars the sculpt quality doesn't matter much.

#4983 12 months ago
Quoted from Scoot:

This speculation thread is at a point where it should be shut down.

We're getting perilously close to invoking Godwin's law.

#5052 12 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I came to the conclusion that Nick was a condescending, patronizing, self-important asshole who I would not want to watch talk pinball again.

That's funny, because based on Nick's comments in this thread I was like, "finally, a podcaster/streamer who doesn't pretend to love every game." I'm more motivated to tune in now. Nothing against Kevin, who is a great guy, good on camera, and always positive (from what I've seen). Kevin was perfect in the Jack Danger type role for the Final Resistance launch video. But I like a little piss & vinegar to balance the sugar & spice.

#5392 12 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Being happy all the time is the worst.

Sorry man, gen-x born & bred. Everything sucks until proven otherwise. I don't make the rules, I just live 'em.

If nothing is bad, how do you know if anything's good?

#5394 12 months ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Again though, I still come back to it being better than a butyrate shrinkydink from a Stern Pro,

I'll take a vibrant two-dimensional image drawn by arguably the best artist in pinball over a dull, jagged, monochromatic robot in a stiff pose.

Traditional plastics just "look like pinball" to me. Sure, I'll take the premium mechagodzilla over a flat plastic, but this robot ain't that.

#5395 12 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

I love a good topper and this game would be one that could have an amazing factory topper. Instead you have a turret that is 95% hidden when the head is up

Judging from how crazy people are going over PF's barbie dolls on a lazy susan, yeah, there was some low-hanging fruit to be found with a GTF topper. Rotating light-up tank turret like a Dalek, ice cream boob with a cherry nipple on each side of it, count the money.

#5567 11 months ago

Catching up on the Dead Flip stream, I'm up to the second glass-off moment. They somehow managed to make this feel rushed despite doing it weeks after people expected it.

The dubstep-lite is more grating the longer I hear it. It's all squiggle and no melody. Where's the theremin? They put so much work into those trailers making it seem like a love letter to Ed Wood and tin toys, when it's actually an indiscriminate mishmash of several different flavors of sci-fi. Not enough to turn me off the game, but I wasn't wowed by the trailers to begin with, just not my vibe.

Seems like a whooole lotta left orbit if you wanna play with any semblance of safety. Get used to hearing that spinner sound. I just can't get on board with a modern game where the center is that closed off. It's like if Iron Monger was up 100% of the time.

Yo dawg I heard you like fonts. Sooo many fonts, 5-6 different ones onscreen together quite often. Several different clashing art/animation styles, plus live video. Display is just an absolute mess, aesthetically. Thankfully I almost never look up there while playing, so it's really only an issue on stream.

All that said, I still wanna knock the ball around on it, play some dollar games.

#5614 11 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

If your idea of a good time in pinball is every shot returning for a clean feed and clean trap on a flipper, GTF is probably not the game for you.

Don't tell me, tell the designers and high-level player(s) on stream last night who shot the left orbit more than every other shot in the game combined. It's their nature to play well, i.e. safe, and that's the path they chose. Just reporting what I see.

#5637 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Put this one in your rear view mirror.

You mean like AeroFooSmithFighters?

#5737 11 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Is this the worst main toy in pinball history?

I dunno, Demogorgon is hard to beat.

#5750 11 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

007 Bird One rocket is pretty awful and just gets in the way.

Oh yeah, how could I forget?

#5793 11 months ago

Center target banks in front of pops are having a bit a moment. GTF, Bond 60th, PF, even Spinal Tap. I want to see someone go full Jacks Open apeshit.

Volley still did it best though.

#6010 11 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

American Pinball is not Stern so higher quality games take longer to build.

Interesting. I mistakenly thought Stern was faster due to 35+ years of manufacturing experience and hundreds of employees.

#6081 11 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Actually I like that the tank moves,

Did I miss something?

#6086 11 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

The Tank moves back and forth when you hit the targets.

Somehow I read this entire thread and missed that. Tank you.

#6173 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If it makes you feel better to crap on another game to justify what you bought then go for it.

Seems like only you think like this. When I criticize a game, it has nothing to do with anything else I may or may not buy. Games live or die on their own merits. I don't have to justify anything to anyone. You'll say you don't either, but there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. It's like, are you trying to convince us, or yourself?

You've chosen a team, embroidered it on a hat, and stapled the hat to your head. There's no turning back, no doubts allowed. Your thing is great and anyone who doesn't agree has an ulterior motive.

I bought a Bond 60th, but I'm also the biggest complainer in the owners thread. It had tons of build issues out of the box. It still has software issues. I love playing it, but my purchase is not part of my identity. I can buy it, criticize it, and still sleep at night.

#6180 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You’ve been around here for a long time like me.

Like you? Nah. I've been around so long that all pinsiders are noobs to me. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t care what you or anybody else thinks about any game.

Yeah sure man.

Quoted from iceman44:

Now, the hypocrite owners, that you are a part of, that crybaby and whine non stop about people criticizing Bond 60th is F ing rich coming from you!

Again with the tribal shit. Just because I own the same toy as a bunch other guys does not make me part of some clique. I agree that people defending their purchase is dumb. Look no further than the mirror.

Quoted from iceman44:

You telling me all those people are genuine in their comments. What a joke. Looks like a fun game to me

Believe it or not, people can genuinely disagree. Looks fun to you. Some have played it and found it not so fun. Do you actually think people concoct elaborate stories about how games have tons of imaginary flaws, for... reasons? Take off the tinfoil.

There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks and banging the ball around to a pretty light show and dad jokes. I look forward to trying this game with my friends.

#6185 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You can look at all the games I have.

Nah I'm good. I've never clicked on your or any others pinsider's collection that I can recall. Just not interested.

Quoted from iceman44:

There is no more tribal BS than your Bond 60th group you are a part of.

Yeah, they can be a bit much. They probably don't like for me endlessly bitching about the game's issues.

Quoted from iceman44:

You should get back to fixing/playing that game

All fixed now! I'm "working" all day & evening today, but I'm sure I'll play it tomorrow.

Quoted from iceman44:

A big one comes to mind in your boy Kaneda

From how people describe his podcast I'm pretty sure I'd hate it, so I've never listened to a minute of it. Got too much music to catch up on.

Someone moderate me for "take it to PM" already.

#6189 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Better than most radio morning shows.

Very, very low bar. I despise morning radio like the plague. Maybe his show is actually decent, I'll never know. Don't even have time to listen to the couple of pinball podcasts I enjoy.

1 month later
#6673 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

This is bad math. 10x 20 GTF = 2000 Scooby Doo

Indeed it is.

1 week later
#6801 9 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Haiku preferred, but definitely under 20 words please.

ice cream tanks beat foo fighters
but the Fix is in
operators know the score

#6853 9 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The LE tank side tracks are not integrated into the game. They actually use a wall power brink for power so your game has 2 power cords now.

Bush league.

2 weeks later
#6944 9 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Saucer wear on location.

Color bombed GI masks playfield wear, pretty brilliant actually.

1 month later
#6994 7 months ago

I know someone who had to send back two defective GTFs, and the third still had issues. Personally I would not consider buying anything coming out of that factory. YMMV.

#7009 7 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

My GTF has been rock solid and the build quality matches the other AP games that I have.

3 weeks later
#7085 7 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Judging by company size, it is surprising that CGC hasn’t shifted to a lcd.

Animation teams ain't cheap. Since they're selling games faster than they can build them with upcycled dots and alphanumeric dancing digits, I don't see why they'd change.

#7090 7 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AP decided cosplayers and video game veterans would fit the bill with grim results.

Least of that game's problems. I had some more time on it over the weekend. Didn't mind the actors or the weird vibe at all. I actually enjoyed that it has a "soul," for lack of a better word, which is more than I can say for some recent generic-feeling Stern pins.

There's a core of a fun game there, but the layout & mechanics? Hoo boy. So many questionable choices I don't even know where to start. Seven rolldown lanes across the top? Eight standup targets in the pop bumpers? Those weird drain lanes under the flippers? So much BOM for zero added fun.

I did enjoy bashing the crap out of the tank though.

3 weeks later
#7115 6 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

What code issue questions have we dodged?

These?

Quoted from Ferret:

Unfortunately, questions like "what percent complete is the code?" or "when will the code be completed?" really aren't very useful.

(j/k, don't sweat it, I don't care how complete the code is)

#7154 6 months ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

If you are not an owner, why do you care to take your time criticizing the game?

I wholeheartedly reject the notion that only people who own something can share an opinion about it.

#7156 6 months ago

What's the point of sharing an opinion if you DO own it? What's the point of even having opinions?

If this thread is pointless, why are you here? Why does it bother you so much?

#7158 6 months ago

I've played multiple GTFs, so not only do I have a "reasonable foundation" for my opinions, I don't have owner's bias clouding my judgement. I let my friends suffer through unboxing these and discovering all the issues.

Also since when do you need to have played a pin to speak up in a hype thread, which is created as soon as the game is announced? There's plenty to like or dislike just from what you can see or hear.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread?tu=yancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.