IMG_0960.gif
8520588E-4709-4518-B804-9EFF33E42D21 (resized).jpeg
E70F6DB1-157F-4560-AF9A-8A4C3744AA39 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230904_161022372 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230904_161020044 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3956 Rules shared by Josh Kugler Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #5336 Link to streaming at Ocelot. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #6650 Gameplay explanation video from American Pinball. Posted by Tommy-dog (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#192 1 year ago

Can’t they just make an Alice in Wonderland so I can finally buy an AP pin ? I want to support them but the themes are all just meh.

#365 1 year ago

There is novelty.

There is innovation.

I think I know which category we fall into on this one.

1 week later
#3045 1 year ago

Everyone says they want different, they don’t want cookie cutter Stern. But when it doesn’t comport to what they are used to it becomes: “how dare they make this crap”. We want what’s familiar even if we say we want different. How many people complained GF used Wonka-like music.

This is different. I agree it can be different bad or different good. Jury is out on this one. I suspect despite the bad acting it will be different good, precisely because it’s bad acting. Wouldn’t want in my home, too repetitive. But on location I think this game will do well.

#4248 1 year ago

Crappy rollout or not, all ongoing controversy aside, this game interests me the most of all the new releases. I will probably be in on it because it’s the most unique of them all.

While almost certainly not intentional, and while I’m sure they would have loved to sell out on day 1, I’m not sure their terrible marketing will hurt them that much in the long run. Might have even ironically helped. Hey at least they didn’t do a Deeproot “you have 24 hours to put your order in or else”. That would have been the only page they left out of the bad marketing playbook.

#4284 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

The points about the full screen cuts to his mug over and over again are spot on. Who wants to see just his face constantly? And as another Pinsider pointed out to me this morning...
10) Just more shit editing. Anyone notice his "Ball 3" displaying Ball 2 and his score suddenly being half what it just was???
[quoted image]
"Ok that was Ball 2, let's see what we can do on Ball 3..."
[quoted image]
11) Let's get in on that hot pop bumper action for the millionth time... and show a VUK fail at 5:52.
If anyone ever uses this guy for a release again, you're basically asking the public not to buy your game. How they didn't have Bowden or Ryan filming a proper 10min walkthrough and mini-tutorial is a mystery to me. Moral of the story - don't put your release in the hands of a total amateur.

So the best part is where he advertises his other machines for sale at the end of the video. It is all so head scratching. You are a multi-million dollar pinball manufacturer and this was as good as you can do ???? What is more stunning to me is that what I hear again and again is that AP pins have really good build quality. Usually it’s the other way around, ie juiced up marketing and then crap follow thru on product. Go grab obs, some webcams, and get your designer to play. This problem is fixed with a day worth of effort.

#4643 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, but it actually looks like this in the game...
[quoted image]

We do tend to nit pick over the smallest details don’t we ? Doubt pretty much any of the playing public would notice this in real life. However I am just a bit perplexed here. Urethane over molding of 3D printed parts is pretty cheap all things considered, even for low volume production. I’m not sure why they didn’t go there. The BOM is not that much higher. Each mold can get you 25 parts and given the size of those parts he mold should be cost reasonable. Also if you are going to go super cheap ass ABS as it seems the tank is here, why not up the game a little and go with a little bit higher print resolution or some post processing so it’s not so damn obvious.

1 week later
#5863 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

MOST of the licensed games, indeed big licenses, although they sold better, are not as popular today.
And I'd argue that even though TAF, TZ, IJ, (STTNG, you forgot that one)! are very popular/collectable. Id say they are comparable in today popularity/demand among players/collectors with the MM/MB/AFM/popadiuks. And I would say that the IP gives those licensed themes some of their appeal... and the original theme gives some of the unlicensed games their appeal!
But I agree, licensing costs aside (which I doubt many of us have a good handle on), if you're trying to make money selling pinball machines, licensed themes have always sold better.

Go to the route operators thread and see the play count for a lineup. South Park still highest, Circus Voltaire low. There is very little correlation between how much a game is played and how good the rest of us see it as. In fact I would say that to the degree there is any it is an almost inverse correlation. And as to many of those non licensed themes commanding amazing prices it is because production runs were so low. Manufacturers saw zero of Circus Voltaire commanding such high prices these days. TBH I’m looking for a South Park to put in my place given how popular it apparently is.

#5866 1 year ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Let me head this off before it happens...
At this point in the thread, someone will inevitably pop in that's an operator and give an example of an unlicensed theme that did well for them. It's true, it can happen. However, it's way more likely to happen at a location where's there's hardcore players that can see past theme and recognize a good game.
But generally speaking, that's not the case.
I owned a DI. I can see past a license.
But my point, and the point of many in this thread, is that AP is a smaller company that has decided to tie their hands behind their backs by choosing to do original themes. This is simply guaranteed to lead to less sales than if they did an appealing licensed game.
That's fine and well, I guess. But many of us wonder how they can continue like this. Do they have an unlimited bank roll? Why make life harder? Why not do some licensed games so that you can generate more money for the company. You can then bring more talent in-house. You can then upgrade from aggressively mediocre 3D prints to actual molds. You can help ensure your survival to make pins not for a few more years, but maybe decades.
If the company wants to let their "creative side" run wild on a few games here and there, more power to them. But as an insurance policy against such high risk, why not crank out licensed pins that we all know will sell more? Hedge your bets, FFS.

I’m actually a potential buyer for GTF. But like you I’m clear I’m doing it for myself and not for the good of my establishment. For that matter same reason we have 40 pins on the floor rather than add another skee ball and air hockey. You have to admire the chutzpah of AP and it’s part of the reason I have so much interest in this machine. But yeah from a business standpoint what they keep doing makes zero sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 10,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.