IMG_0960.gif
8520588E-4709-4518-B804-9EFF33E42D21 (resized).jpeg
E70F6DB1-157F-4560-AF9A-8A4C3744AA39 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230904_161022372 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230904_161020044 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3956 Rules shared by Josh Kugler Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #5336 Link to streaming at Ocelot. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #6650 Gameplay explanation video from American Pinball. Posted by Tommy-dog (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EaglePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Sorry I am thinking of Hayfarmer-got confused
Hayfarmer-Haymaker- Both like Hay I guess

Hey Hay Hay!!! (lol couldn't resist)

#142 1 year ago

Seems like just at least showing a picture of a playfield would be a no-brainer at this point. And if it's an unlicensed theme then it seems like there shouldn't be any roadblocks to doing that.

1 week later
#423 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

I'm old enough to remember this "Thing" lol[quoted image]

We had one of those when I was growing up. Brings back memories every time I see one

#429 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some fears I have:
Will this become sentient and destroy the rest of my collection?
Will it be kidnapped by a group of Shriners for use in their fleet?
If my floor is not level, will it roll into the kitchen?
If I attempt a death save, will it fire back?
It’s all very unsettling.

Cue TreyBo69 with an AI story about a pinball machine shaped like a tank that takes over the world

#457 1 year ago

Just dawned on me that in the video when he lifts the front part of the cover you can see a light bar inside the cabinet. Maybe AP is adding a Pinstadium/Expression Lights style of lighting to this game?

#640 1 year ago

Looks interesting, but I really thought pinball companies had learned by now that they need to make the best first impression possible by having a good reveal themselves instead of spy style photos coming out.

I'm looking forward to seeing the game and how it will play, and these pics maybe don't do it justice, but seems like a pretty standard layout with top inlanes, a center bash toy, and a three pops behind it. Crossing returns maybe/hopefully with a diverter.

But would be so much better to have an AP reveal as a first impression instead of spy shots to try to analyze.

#697 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

That layout could not fall more flat to my eyes, on the heels of some of the most creative designs in recent history. Wall of targets in front of a pop bumper nest with rollovers, necessary design staple of an era when two-inch flippers couldn't get the ball back up to the top of the playfield. Let it go. Open up the middle, be creative.
I won't name other names, but some of these designers are regressing from their '90s creative peak. Thirty years backward instead of forward. Thankfully lots of new blood entering the industry.

This is why I don't understand why AP hasn't been doing a good rollout of this game to present it they way they want customers to see it instead of doing 3 teaser trailers followed by spy style pictures.

These pics are now the first impression for everyone and can be interpreted a ton of different ways, but AP could have cleared it all up by being the first to show it with good pics and providing some info about gameplay to go with it.

#858 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So that lock is fed by the upper left vuk. How do we get balls in there? Either the target bank lowers or open a shot up there, hopeful but doesn’t look too likely given the targets don’t look like they’d lower, or there’s a diverter/up post up there to drop the ball into the vuk. Or the left ramp lifts which also doesn’t look too likely. But there looks to be some green arrows under the ramp? Or are they just on the ramp decal?
[quoted image]

Looks like A-I-R targets to light Air Strike lock. On the playfield picture the left orbit insert lit green is labeled "Air Strike". I'd guess you shoot the left orbit to go into the saucer at the left of the top lanes, and that kicks up to the lock wire. If you look in the backboard mirror you can see a saucer to the left of the lanes.

#1166 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I wrote my dessert-ation on ice cream and can say for certain we’re through the displays case.
We will help the princess Ice Cream become a Dairy Queen!
Some people might be insecure showing off an ice cream theme full of rainbow sprinkles and light shows. It’s a Neapolitan complex. No one will feel Breyers remorse.
Theyre going to get so many orders, I hope American Pinball works on Sundaes!
Am I right or am I meringue?

I thought this was supposed to be a vanilla thread about pinball

#1700 1 year ago

lol can someone change the title of this forum to "AP's Galactic Tank Force (GTF!) - Speculation/Hype Thread And No the Backbox Isn't Motorized"

#1773 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Speculate on things That are based in reality. This thread has turned into a wishlist sadly. One of worst reveals at this point outside of Bond in recent times. People are overthinking things that might be in the game.

If you don't like what people are writing here then maybe find something else to read or somewhere else to post where you'll get more enjoyment out of it. Why hang around somewhere that you aren't happy?

You're not going to change people's thoughts and they have the right to post their thoughts the same as anyone else.

Do you really not see the hypocrisy in wanting to be able to post whatever you want in a forum but then posting to criticize what other people write?

#1775 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Because miserable people like making everyone else feel miserable too. If they're not happy why should you be?

Lol, my error. I forgot the number of people in the world who will only tolerate things being exactly the way they want things to be.

I'm looking forward to seeing more about this game!!!

#1780 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

So a call to reason doesn't exist as a valid option in your world?
Either enjoy anything i feel like typing or fuck off is then only two options?

No, the better option is to be okay with the idea of someone posting thoughts or ideas that you don't agree with and not criticizing them for having their thoughts/ideas.

There's a difference between saying "I don't agree with this, I think this instead" and saying "You shouldn't think this" or "You shouldn't post this"

#2361 1 year ago

Clips and acting are pretty much the campy/fun it seemed like this game has been going for. Most any game's video clips taken in isolation they way they presented it in this trailer aren't going to be super exciting or interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together for game play though.

#2441 1 year ago

Biggest miss in the trailer was not showing even one clean view of the ball going from the flipper and traveling through any part of the playfield

There was a quick cut of an overhead view of game action but it was multiball with balls just flailing around and colliding with each other. Not a single clean shot from the flipper was shown even in that quick cut.

I get that they wanted to present the vibe of the game, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how the game plays and shoots.

#2459 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

The them is really fun but the video assets are just terribly done. I know it’s trying to be funny, but doesn’t land.

Yep just showing just the clips in isolation doesn't land well.

This is why they really needed to show these clips in actual game play to put it into context for us.

The big question is will it come together better when it's integrated with gameplay. That's what we really need to see and I'm surprised they didn't put that together for this reveal video.

#2504 1 year ago

There's a reason other companies have video of someone standing at the machine playing it in their reveal trailers. The shots and the game are what most people are interested in.

The story of the game should come along with that game play footage, not be out in front if it.

#2569 1 year ago

This trailer was 2:28 long. Total amount of that time actually showing a pinball in the video was about 20 seconds. Not a great ratio.

#2806 1 year ago
Quoted from RickyBobby1:

Didn't see anyone posting about the ball shooting out of the center drain during the multi-ball in the trailer, at about the 1:53 time. What the heck is up with that??
[quoted image]

It's the ball on the right flipper getting flipped and coming screaming back SDTM. Likely bounced off the center targets. Probably not the best clip for them to include in the video.

#3137 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I like how everyone is crapping on the trailer. We do not know if that is actually in the game or its just people having fun. Wait till TPF or a stream and we can see. I hope this game does very well. Good competition is good for everyone. I just hope the prices of NIB games come down but I know that wont happen.

If you view each clip in the trailer in isolation I don't think there's any doubt that they are clips designed to be used in the game:
- "Enemy saucer incoming at the research farm. Shoot it down."
- "Head to the lab"
- Cougar, Houdini, and Panther clips for when balls are locked
- "Aw you lost your ball loser"

Do we know for sure until we see gameplay? No. But there's a 99.9% common sense certainty that these are clips from game play that they just edited together into a trailer.

#3147 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

I'm of mixed feelings about the trailer, but what I really want is a real gameplay video - hoping that will come soon. However, it's going to have to be really impressive for me to buy this game. Most likely I'll be skipping the entire spring crop of games and either pick up a nice HUO or wait until fall and see what else Stern has coming out.

This to me is the biggest thing about yesterday's trailer. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Now for them to overcome any "less than favorable" impressions about the video package from that trailer the game play is going to have to be REALLY great.

Whereas if they'd focused more on game play in the first impression then the other stuff might be overlooked or given a pass a bit easier if game play looks fun.

#3270 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Again another video showing hardly any gameplay. Amateur hour. Or perhaps they waiting to release until their TFP seminar tomorrow?
I guess the mystery of the tank is revealed though. Said a robot (Nord-Man 3000?) pops out the top hatch to taunt you. That's a bit underwhelming.

This is making me wonder if American got a deal where they get their TPF booth for free if they don't reveal gameplay before their seminar Friday. (sarcasm)

#3276 1 year ago
Quoted from lamihh:

This is a reveal for a multi-million dollar production. Do you really think they will endanger/tank it to save a few thousand bucks? I doubt that.

It was a joke

#3304 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

Bummer that other video was taken down. I had just started watching in when I got a call, paused it, and when I came back to finish it was gone
Anyone able to comment on what it showed?

Not much to it. Non-pinball intro clips. Then another 20 seconds of quick pinball clips very similar to the clips sprinkled (pun intended) into the trailer yesterday except these were just all one after the other. Then camera showing playfield starting from the top and gradually moving down toward the bottom.

Narrator said he’s editing gameplay video that he hopes to have up today or tomorrow.

#3707 1 year ago

Live stream game: take a shot every time they say "Ryan"

#3932 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Sure, happy to help: yes, you like this game so far.
Seriously, I'm glad to answer any questions about the game itself, but I have no idea where/when HD gameplay videos will be available.

Is there a rules sheet or diagram available to see for the game? Pulp Fiction, Foo Fighters, and Godfather have released rules sheets and it's nice to get that information to help get a better feel for the game. Hoping to get a chance to play this game to try it out soon.

#3941 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Dennis said during the seminar that one of his goals was to bring back more randomness to a game so that normal schmos have a chance against really great players like Bowden. For his part Bowden was specifically asked about rules and said he'd prefer people just play it rather than him explaining it. rosh and @Ferrret have provided some general insight into the game and some tricks on how to maximize some scores, etc. but it seems like they don't want this to be a game that requires a JJP-like rules diagram.

Lol, I'm not expecting and definitely not hoping for a JJP-like rules diagram. But Pulp Fiction has a nice straightforward & relatively simple set of rules, and the rules sheet they put out with the game was nice to see. I get what Steven was saying, but I have no idea if/when/where I'll be able to play this game soon since I'm not going to MGC or any other show, and a rules sheet for me does give a bit of insight into the game.

#3959 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Since Ferret is on vacation, although I did see he popped in last night, I'll give you guys a bit more about the rules.
Let's start with the rule summary . . .
Rule Summary
? TANK BATTLES: Shoot CENTER TARGETS to attack enemy TANKS and protect the Moon of Lumina! Charge your METHANE to METHANE BLAST the tank!
? UFO ATTACKS: Watch out for UFOs trying to abduct your COWS! When the UFO attacks, shoot it repeatedly to destroy it and save your cow! Save several cows for COW-A-BONGO MULTIBALL!
? ICE CREAM MISSIONS: INLANES light MISSIONS on RIGHT SAUCER. During missions, lit shots collect ice cream ingredients.
? ADVANCE RANK: Complete top right LANES to advance RANK and increase MISSION scoring.
? AIR STRIKE MULTIBALL: Shoot A-i-R TARGETS, then LEFT SAUCER to scramble air fighters. Shoot major shots, then UFO, then ramp to destroy enemy attackers!
? MELTDOWN: Hit enough POP BUMPERS to start MELTDOWN MULTIBALL. During Meltdown, quickly shoot lit shots, pop bumpers, and left saucer.
? QUANTUM ACCELERATOR: Complete POP BUMPER TARGET BANKS to temporarily INCREASE ALL SCORING.
? FLANK FORMATIONS: Complete STAND-UP TARGETS for awards and scoring boosts.
? PLOTNICK’S LAB: Complete L-A-B and LEFT SAUCER to collect helpful items.
a few bits of more info . . .
Tank Battles -- pretty much always actiive, each one gets more difficult as later tanks have shields and robots that also need to be killed. The 'weak' spot in the tank also moves and unless something has changed, when you have enough methane (collected via the four main shots, you need more to charge it over time, first time it is just one shot needed), once you have sufficient methane, one target will be flashing red as the kill shot (the works a bit different if the shield is up). Get through five tank battles and you get to the mini-wizard mode.
No surprise, UFOs get harder to kill each time (shots, movement). Quicker you destroy it the better.
Ice Cream Missions, collect ingredients for Plotniks Ice Cream research. Inlanes light the saucer/VUK on the right side. The right spinner (near the planet) changes which mission will be given. The spinner also adds time to a mission, once the planets ring turn yellow. Five missions, each about collecting ingredients, which lead to a mini-wizard mode. Each mission focuses on a different part of the playfield. While we filmed Kyan, Duke and Plotnik for the missions, Plotnik stuff was the best. Not sure all will be used or just him. This is part of why Fix is saying the game has a ton of assets, during filming I made each actor do a lot of the game lines, even if we did not see them being the ones saying them, so we would have options and could see which work best. Since they are talking about how many assets are in there, sounds like maybe they are using a majority of them. There were over 2500 lines filmed across the four main actors and the pilots. And since every line is recorded many times . . .
Hitting the pops builds towards Meltdown, which is a two ball multiball. the pops have a ring of individually controlled direct wired RGB LEDs, that will show things building up and then are used during the Mutiball as you build a jackpot, collected at the upper VUK (left orbit, magnet grab). This will also award one of the center inserts towards the final wizard mode.
Flank Formations -- the award locks in when the first target is hit, so there is some strategy/skill around this for more skilled players. Award typically increase pops, spinners, cow values as well as shot multipliers for individual shots, that can be increased and there is an insert in front of the major shots, that shows the current multiplier level via a VIBGYOR color scheme to indicate how high the multiplier is for the various shots. Multipliers reset at end of ball, unless you have been visiting plotnik and he gave you something to hold multipliers.
I do not know what the switches below the lanes do. We had held off on those until we could see how they 'shot'.

Great info. Tank you!

#4097 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Completely obvious in the video who it is. Straight up calls him a d*ck.

Wow. Just wow. Catching up on the thread and went to check the video on Twitch after reading this post. I can't believe what I saw there. Having been around Ryan at pinball events in the area I can only describe him as a friendly guy with good energy who's really positive about pinball. And when a machine isn't working right he's all over it trying to make it right because he clearly cares a lot about things being good.

For someone to say that about a guy like Ryan who had only just gone up to give Dennis a quick fist bump before the panel begins... well I think it likely reflects more about the person who was saying it. Really bad that someone from American Pinball would do that ever, let alone while in public representing the company.

5 months later
#7120 7 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I was in the room. Something along the lines of he wouldn’t be foolish enough to put a number on it. I was more put off when someone asked for an overview of the game rules. His comment was basically go play and figure it out for yourself. I wouldn’t have expected a deep dive but a high level outline would have been nice. At a minimum tell me how to start a mode so when I play for the first time at the show I have some basic direction.

^^^ This for sure. I saw that answer also on the stream and couldn't believe it. Why wouldn't you give a high level overview of rules of the game and what types of modes are expected to be put into it? Definitely was one thing (among several) about that presentation that turned me from potential buyer to "nope".

#7136 7 months ago

Since it arrived at the location in the Chicago area a few months ago I've seen it down far more times than I've seen it up. And there have been several times it was working when I first got there and then was shut off a couple hours later.

#7160 7 months ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

What's the point? If you don't own it and never intend to own it? Will you feel validated if others, who also don't own it and never intend to own it, agree with your view?

It's a hype thread. It's created by design for people to offer their take on a game or to comment on things going on around the game.

In general, the point in offering a thought or opinion on a game is to provide information people can take into consideration for the game. Some people have very different thoughts about a machine based on personal preferences and their own experiences with it.

I think it's good to get a wide range of those thoughts and ideas about features or aspects of a machine in order to maybe pick up on some things to consider that I might have otherwise missed.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with all or even most of them. I can use the info I read however I want and just ignore & not dwell on stuff I personally don't find useful or relevant.

6 months later
#7275 20 days ago
Quoted from Method_Own:

I asked in chat several times for an explanation of the changes in the new code. Several other people also asked about the details and neither Steve or David would discuss specifics. They said the new code would be available ‘extremely quickly’. The guy doing the bird puppet asked Steve about the code and when Steve started to give the beginning of a generic answer he cut him off and talked over him. The whole stream was frustrating to watch.

I didn’t see the stream but this seems in line with their general unwillingness to discuss what the rules of a game are or code. At the release panel discussion for GTF at TPF they refused to answer a question about game rules.

Somehow they don’t seem to understand that when most people play a game they like to know the rules of the game they’re playing.

Imagine opening up a board game you’ve never played before and it having no rules description. Playing it wouldn’t be a fun process of discovering the game. It would just feel like frustration and randomness.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 10,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EaglePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread?tu=EaglePin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.