pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4393 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0960.gif
8520588E-4709-4518-B804-9EFF33E42D21 (resized).jpeg
E70F6DB1-157F-4560-AF9A-8A4C3744AA39 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230904_161022372 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230904_161020044 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,299 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 146.
#5351 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

If AP really wanted to be a help, they could release the models on Thingiverse and let people print them themselves

This would be amazing. I don't really see any downside to them releasing the models, either.

#5353 1 year ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Still 26 entries available. Crazy it’s taken this long to sell 200 entries. FF LE sold out in 30 mins. Godfather under an hour. 3 bond 60ths. This really surprises me. https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/galactic-tank-force-signature-edition-pinball-machine-raffle/Campaign/Details?fbclid=IwAR3SLZ12GIAdeWfYyYEeUJTReOG6Di9kHRWt0CsaKP7o2FCU9bQQ51u1KSE&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Not super surprised. Game is somewhat polarizing. If you like it, you've ordered it. If you havent ordered, you probably don't want it. Some exceptions. But 200 people willing to gamble on it. Maybe not.

Conversely, I assume 95% of people would like to have a foo fighters, even if it's not their top choice.

#5354 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Injection molding is the answer here. It's what the other manufacturers do.

Exactly. If you’re gonna price with the big boys, you need to build like the big boys.

#5355 1 year ago

At this stage I’m not a buyer, but if I was a buyer I’d be excited to see what the mod community has in the pipeline. Maybe a game at this level shouldn’t have “rough” 3D prints - but that horse has left the barn.

I’d be willing to bet Lior, Tdiddy, Back alley etc are all brainstorming early ideas. Doubling down that some of those will be insanely good.

#5356 1 year ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Still 26 entries available. Crazy it’s taken this long to sell 200 entries. FF LE sold out in 30 mins. Godfather under an hour. 3 bond 60ths. This really surprises me. https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/galactic-tank-force-signature-edition-pinball-machine-raffle/Campaign/Details?fbclid=IwAR3SLZ12GIAdeWfYyYEeUJTReOG6Di9kHRWt0CsaKP7o2FCU9bQQ51u1KSE&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Just bought a raffle ticket. Games worth $200 entry and it’s for a good cause.

#5357 1 year ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Still 26 entries available. Crazy it’s taken this long to sell 200 entries. FF LE sold out in 30 mins. Godfather under an hour. 3 bond 60ths. This really surprises me.

Quoted from Sorokyl:

Not super surprised. Game is somewhat polarizing. If you like it, you've ordered it.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's the tank body on the LE and Signature LE that make the game a hard sell. Normally the LEs are the most desirable, but in this case the Deluxe is the one to get. There is an old saying that some people have a face that only a mother could love. There may be a handful of people out there that actually like it, but for me I would honestly be embarrassed to have one in my gameroom. On the other hand I would gladly take a Deluxe if I won it in a raffle!!

#5358 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hindsight is 20/20. It's the tank body on the LE and Signature LE that make the game a hard sell. Normally the LEs are the most desirable, but in this case the Deluxe is the one to get. There is an old saying that some people have a face that only a mother could love. There may be a handful of people out there that actually like it, but for me I would honestly be embarrassed to have one in my gameroom. On the other hand I would gladly take a Deluxe if I won it in a raffle!!

Agreed. Franchi art on deluxe is amazing. AND…it doesn’t look like a giant tin toy. Not always a good thing.

#5359 1 year ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

There is a lot of 3D printing on this game. I really hope if they use a 3D printer they could somehow sand down and make a more polished product. The waves in the mold cheapens the look. I want the best for them and applaud them for their efforts. We are paying alot of money for these games so it’s ok for us to ask for a product that looks a bit more refined.

After playing at TPF, I read about the 3D printed parts and I thought "no it doesn't". Then I played it again at my dealers showroom and they were in fact 3D printed. But they look pretty good. You really got to be on the look out to notice. But I would prefer molded at this price point. Definitely not a reason not to buy as modders will come up with options that looks better anyway.

#5360 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Despite not liking the tank body at all, I bought a ticket too. Project Pinball is an amazing charity. They not only place the pinball machines in Children's hospitals around the country, they also maintain them. That second point is critical or the machines would be pushed into a corner and unplugged the second they broke down.

#5361 1 year ago

The Deluxe looks absolutely fantastic to me; WAY better than the LEs.

I don’t know if I’d be embarrassed to have an LE in the gameroom, but it’s certainly plausible.

#5362 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've done TONS of 3D printing and a big part of getting a good final product is the post processing. That would be cleaning up the stringing, smoothing rough areas and possibly even painting. They could make these a lot better with post processing or simply choosing better colors. The tank body is a nice vibrant red that really goes well with the color scheme of the art, but the little probe ships and the Nordman robot are a terribly generic gray that just doesn't work. During the streams that robot has a nice metallic copper/bronze color when they show it on the LCD. WTF? I have to think the original plans were to paint those models in post processing? Otherwise, why not just print them directly in a better color that matches the colors on the display?
So its not the 3D printing that I have a problem with, they just didn't do the greatest job. Strength is not an issue either. Getting 3D prints right takes time. 3D printers are great for prototyping or small carefully made batches, but not mass productions. Using a resin printer would have been another nice solution, but they went with the tooling they have.
In the end, it wouldn't be a lot of work to pull those models, clean up any stringing or rough areas, prime and paint. The models don't even make my list of reasons that I will probably pass on this game. If AP really wanted to be a help, they could release the models on Thingiverse and let people print them themselves or allow the mod makers to produce resin models or even create injection molds to make high end replacement toys for people who want them.

I believe there may be multiple different colored robots as they appear on screen as you go through the game. The actual robot figure has a gauge or something cutout on the chest, among other cutouts, on the model that are then lit different colors to "match" for the specific robot you're fighting, unless I'm mistaken - but that doesn't really come close to the metallic on screen representation. Maybe some of the on screen graphics are placeholders or something...

The robot is the worst looking toy in the game, still hoping that what we're seen may not truly be final finishing for production versions. Again though, I still come back to it being better than a butyrate shrinkydink from a Stern Pro, and easily modified or replaced if it still bothers you. I know this is more money, but it's a boutique game and definitely has more in it than a Pro.

#5363 1 year ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

The Deluxe looks absolutely fantastic to me; WAY better than the LEs.
I don’t know if I’d be embarrassed to have an LE in the gameroom, but it’s certainly plausible.

The Deluxe is a beautiful package on par with some of the best looking pins ever. The speaker panel may be the best ever. BBB, BKSOR LE and the new Fathom Mermaids come to mind for other beautiful games. The cabinet art on the LE is not nearly as cool, the tank thread panels are meh at best and the worst part is the turret. From my perspective, I love a good topper and this game would be one that could have an amazing factory topper. Instead you have a turret that is 95% hidden when the head is up and the tip that you can see above the head while playing the game amounts to the worst topper in recent memory. What would be awesome is if they came out with a really nice Stern or CGC level topper for the Deluxe version. Not sure that would go over big with the LE buyers though.

#5364 1 year ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Fundraiser is now at 100%. Great job!

#5365 1 year ago

Oh, and it used to take weeks or even months for a typical Stern raffle to sell out with those guys. Recent raffles aren't the norm...

This taking a couple days to close out at a full $200 entry price is still pretty crazy.

#5366 1 year ago

Love the LE. Will be a unique pin in my collection. My son built many model tanks years ago so some added nostalgia.

#5367 1 year ago

I placed a deposit for a Deluxe and bought a ticket. First time participating in one of these raffles.

When do they draw ?

#5368 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I placed a deposit for a Deluxe and bought a ticket. First time participating in one of these raffles.
When do they draw ?

It’ll be next Sunday at 8 Eastern if I recall correctly.

#5369 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

But 200 people willing to gamble on it. Maybe not.

Not exactly. Had no idea of a raffle until now (darn) and still considering GTF down the line.
Just not a week one purchase at this time.

#5370 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

The Deluxe is a beautiful package on par with some of the best looking pins ever. The speaker panel may be the best ever. BBB, BKSOR LE and the new Fathom Mermaids come to mind for other beautiful games. The cabinet art on the LE is not nearly as cool, the tank thread panels are meh at best and the worst part is the turret. From my perspective, I love a good topper and this game would be one that could have an amazing factory topper. Instead you have a turret that is 95% hidden when the head is up and the tip that you can see above the head while playing the game amounts to the worst topper in recent memory. What would be awesome is if they came out with a really nice Stern or CGC level topper for the Deluxe version. Not sure that would go over big with the LE buyers though.

Maybe the guys that did the Twilight Zone topper can give this one a go (assuming AP is not gonna do a topper for it, it's a good candidate

I don't think I'm a topper guy, don't really need a giant name or logo that's already on the backglass.. but it seems like we are in the golden age of toppers. MMR, Mando, Rush, PF, twilight zone.. hopefully Godzilla will be good.

#5371 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

It’ll be next Sunday at 8 Eastern if I recall correctly.

Well, site says Sunday May 7th at 8 EDT based on the end date of May 5th. Since it already sold out, do they move the drawing date up?

#5372 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Fundraiser is now at 100%. Great job!

I do what I can. Not really interested in GTF for myself, but I did go ahead and buy a ticket. Glad to see it wrapped up finally. To me it does show the lack of interest in GTF compared to other current releases.

#5373 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Sold out I just tried. Great cause!!

#5374 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Well, site says Sunday May 7th at 8 EDT based on the end date of May 5th. Since it already sold out, do they move the drawing date up?

They did. It’s next Sunday at 8.

#5375 1 year ago

Got to play it a bunch at MGC. The charm really works in person.

#5376 1 year ago

I enjoyed the game at TPF and would love to get some more time on one. Deluxe cabinet looks great but I'm a fan of the Tank. Had to try my luck at the raffle, hoping to be able to park a tank in the kitchen

#5377 1 year ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

I enjoyed the game at TPF and would love to get some more time on one. Deluxe cabinet looks great but I'm a fan of the Tank. Had to try my luck at the raffle, hoping to be able to park a tank in the kitchen

Well doy. Where else would one park it?

#5378 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:The Deluxe is a beautiful package on par with some of the best looking pins ever. The speaker panel may be the best ever.

Amen to that, 11 days ago:

Quoted from SteelTigers:

The tank cab is their Signature and Limited Edition models. The Deluxe and Classic cabs are a completely different beast. Wait until you see the Deluxe and Classic Editions. They look amazing and the artwork is fantastic...

#5379 1 year ago

Ok, the cheap and dirty way to clean up 3D printed parts... buy a jug of uv curable resin... pour it in container in a darkened room (close the drapes and blinds) then dip your PLA+ parts in resin, take outside, let harden in the sun. Ok, that got rid of some of that layer line look. Now paint it if you want, but if you used clear resin, you can kinda quit right here. You can use your wife's UV nail hardener light and UV clear nail polish too. Either way you get a more smooth finish on the PLA+ printed parts. Pretty sure pinballs hitting it will eventually chip it off, however, in HUO who knows? Sanding it first gets it smoother but results depend on resin's ability to fill the gaps due to a bigger final filet radius between layers. I remember a day when guys started printing gee gaws and mods using FDM and the initial response from the community was totally negative, layer lines being the big give-away. I thought a well printed and post processed mod was better than all the "found art" junk that guys were shoveling into their Twilight Zones... (rockets and robots and pyramids, oh my!) and Circus Voltaires and Theater of Magics and Adams Familys (Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh, my!) but it took a long time for people to accept custom printed mods, and now, well they think we can live with OEM's using the same technology.

#5380 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, the cheap and dirty way to clean up 3D printed parts... buy a jug of uv curable resin... pour it in container in a darkened room (close the drapes and blinds) then dip your PLA+ parts in resin, take outside, let harden in the sun. Ok, that got rid of some of that layer line look. Now paint it if you want, but if you used clear resin, you can kinda quit right here. You can use your wife's UV nail hardener light and UV clear nail polish too. Either way you get a more smooth finish on the PLA+ printed parts. Pretty sure pinballs hitting it will eventually chip it off, however, in HUO who knows? Sanding it first gets it smoother but results depend on resin's ability to fill the gaps due to a bigger final filet radius between layers. I remember a day when guys started printing gee gaws and mods using FDM and the initial response from the community was totally negative, layer lines being the big give-away. I thought a well printed and post processed mod was better than all the "found art" junk that guys were shoveling into their Twilight Zones... (rockets and robots and pyramids, oh my!) and Circus Voltaires and Theater of Magics and Adams Familys (Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh, my!) but it took a long time for people to accept custom printed mods, and now, well they think we can live with OEM's using the same technology.

Ive used the spray on automotive clear before on the 3dp b66 batcave mod and that helped alot. Doesent completely eliminate the ridges, but certainly makes it smoother and glossier.

#5381 1 year ago

3F1AA105-6BCB-47E1-8D3F-1AA6795E1320 (resized).jpeg3F1AA105-6BCB-47E1-8D3F-1AA6795E1320 (resized).jpeg

#5382 1 year ago

Guess the judges weren't put off by 3d printed toys...

#5383 1 year ago

Just take 320x240 images and nobody will know it's 3D printed:
https://www.american-pinball.com/games/galactic-tank-force/#images-9

Hopefully they come back to Orlando this year with GTF.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5384 1 year ago

Played a bunch of this at MGC. Really liked it. There weren't too many airballs when I played, and no balls off ramps. The 3D backglass was really cool. I did feel that the back corner magnet catch goes on for way too long. I played at the very beginning of the event and the very end, and they seem to have held up well. I could see some flipper fade and upkicker fade toward the end though.

I will most likely be picking up a deluxe later on down the road. I probably would have ordered one, but in an unexpected turn of events I ended up coming home with a GZ Premium.

#5385 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

[quoted image]

We do like the drinky winky around these parts!

#5386 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

[quoted image]

Exactly how big is that trophy?

#5387 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I probably would have ordered one, but in an unexpected turn of events I ended up coming home with a GZ Premium.

Sweet! I like it when unexpected things are fun congrats

#5388 1 year ago

My post MGC comments about GTF now that I've played it. I only got a handful of games on it and most were on the motorized tank version which I think was not sitting at the proper pitch (just a hunch I have). Game played well. Lots to shoot for. Cow target was cool. I didn't have too many airballs and I didn't notice a lot of dimpling on the playfield either. 3d printed toys didn't look horrible but its still a very high eyebrow raiser for me given the price of the game. Lots of live action clips played on the screen. Probably the least flowy game out of all the new releases. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but worth noting. Obviously a show environment is not the best place to get a good idea of how a game is. I would say its EASILY the best AP to date and probably the only one I would ever consider owning.

The 3d translite looked really cool. Great 3d effect with lots of layers. Certainly you get a little of the fuzziness as you'd expect with a lenticular but it was very very cool. Tank cabinet and treads...yeah thats an easy pass. Deluxe is 100% the way to go if you are interested in this game.

The good news is all the new games are pretty darn good, including bond 60th. I think for me, with what little time I was able to get on everything, GTF was probably my least or 2nd to least favorite. I can see people really enjoying it, but if you are like me and you have to be choosy about what games you buy, it is officially off my radar. Not a bad game by any stretch, I think all the owners will enjoy it greatly.

#5389 1 year ago

Wow GTF! officially launched, released and is in production now. It is real and is already playing at the big pinball shows. Maybe AP can bring 10 or so games to each show in future to keep lines short. Hopefully we will soon see this pin in the 20 largest pinbars. In the meantime, AP is making hardware and software improvements daily.

#5390 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Wow GTF! officially launched, released and is in production now. It is real and is already playing at the big pinball shows. Maybe AP can bring 10 or so games to each show in future to keep lines short. Hopefully we will soon see this pin in the 20 largest pinbars. In the meantime, AP is making hardware and software improvements daily.

Most of the lines at MGC were pretty short. The only issues we had were some people with no etiquette hitting the start button over and over. For the most part it didn't take long to get on games. I don't know how many people were there but since the event was spread out over 3 floors and nearly every room it wasn't majorly congested which was great tbh.

#5391 1 year ago

Saw Franchi's internet wife yesterday. Wife says "Isn't that the lady that pinball guy was talking about." ha

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5392 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Being happy all the time is the worst.

Sorry man, gen-x born & bred. Everything sucks until proven otherwise. I don't make the rules, I just live 'em.

If nothing is bad, how do you know if anything's good?

#5393 1 year ago

oK, i've finally got to play the crap out of this at MGC.

I have to say, I liked it more than I thought I would. It had very early code (there was 6 code updates since the code they brought to the show) so it was more primitive than it should have been, but still fairly well rounded. Depending on what game you played at the show, had totally different experience. If you played the one on the right, then you probably had a bad experience. Right flipper was weak, game wasn't level, so the orbits were clunky. If you played the games on the left. Shots were smooth, flippers were strong, and all around smooth experience. I enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing the polished version of the machine, but I like where it's heading.

P.S. I still wish it was Fallout 4.

#5394 1 year ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Again though, I still come back to it being better than a butyrate shrinkydink from a Stern Pro,

I'll take a vibrant two-dimensional image drawn by arguably the best artist in pinball over a dull, jagged, monochromatic robot in a stiff pose.

Traditional plastics just "look like pinball" to me. Sure, I'll take the premium mechagodzilla over a flat plastic, but this robot ain't that.

#5395 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I love a good topper and this game would be one that could have an amazing factory topper. Instead you have a turret that is 95% hidden when the head is up

Judging from how crazy people are going over PF's barbie dolls on a lazy susan, yeah, there was some low-hanging fruit to be found with a GTF topper. Rotating light-up tank turret like a Dalek, ice cream boob with a cherry nipple on each side of it, count the money.

#5396 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

oK, i've finally got to play the crap out of this at MGC.
I have to say, I liked it more than I thought I would. It had very early code (there was 6 code updates since the code they brought to the show) so it was more primitive than it should have been, but still fairly well rounded. Depending on what game you played at the show, had totally different experience. If you played the one on the right, then you probably had a bad experience. Right flipper was weak, game wasn't level, so the orbits were clunky. If you played the games on the left. Shots were smooth, flippers were strong, and all around smooth experience. I enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing the polished version of the machine, but I like where it's heading.
P.S. I still wish it was Fallout 4.

Is there ANY reason why you bring a machine that has old code to a show, where the point is to showcase it so that you can generate sales?`
Isn't a code update done relatively quickly? Am I just out of touch if I cannot understand this at all?

Anyway

Im very excited for the proper gameplay reveal tomorrow.

#5397 1 year ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Is there ANY reason why you bring a machine that has old code to a show, where the point is to showcase it so that you can generate sales?`
Isn't a code update done relatively quickly? Am I just out of touch if I cannot understand this at all?
Anyway
Im very excited for the proper gameplay reveal tomorrow.

There is no reason it should have old code. Except the show people didn't bring the new code with them. Huge misstep on their part. Just like setting up the machine. No machine should be off level at a show. NONE. This is the time people will base an opinion about your game. You want it playing as best as you can the entire show. A bad impression will be hard to change down the road. marketing 101.

#5398 1 year ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

No idea what he's talking about with old code... that's not what we understand and the programmer would have told us to update our game from the week prior when he was standing over it or talking to us every day since

#5399 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No idea what he's talking about with old code... that's not what we understand and the programmer would have told us to update our game from the week prior when he was standing over it or talking to us every day since

maybe only some had old code then? because I was told what things should be lit and what animations should be happening with the newest code, that was NOT in the games I was playing.

#5400 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

maybe only some had old code then? because I was told what things should be lit and what animations should be happening with the newest code, that was NOT in the games I was playing.

Maybe they were talking about things yet to come...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 10,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
There are 7,299 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 146.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread/page/108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.