1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bigehrl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“AP flipper coil settings”

• Flipper coil settings are fine out of the box 1 vote
      20%
    • Flipper coil settings need to be raised at the factory. 4 votes
      80%

(5 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I think AP games flipper coil settings are way too low from factory and possibly hurt sales from bad first impressions. Poll added to get an idea if I'm in the minority or not.

#2 1 year ago

the issue is that while turning them up increases strength short term, it also lowers duration, as they will heat up and fade faster. especially after long stretches of play. So it's not a problem to do that in a home environment, but in a location where the game is on for sometimes 12+ hours, and getting hammered game after game, the shots will become almost un-makeable after a few games. if not complete burn out the coils. Since AP can't predict where the game will be used, they likely have to err on the side of the worst possible case.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

the issue is that while turning them up increases strength short term, it also lowers duration, as they will heat up and fade faster. especially after long stretches of play. So it's not a problem to do that in a home environment, but in a location where the game is on for sometimes 12+ hours, and getting hammered game after game, the shots will become almost un-makeable after a few games. if not complete burn out the coils. Since AP can't predict where the game will be used, they likely have to err on the side of the worst possible case.

I understand your concern as an op. How does Stern get away with having snappier flippers from the factory then, do you turn your factory coil settings down on a Stern before putting it on location?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

I understand your concern as an op. How does Stern get away with having snappier flippers from the factory then, do you turn your factory coil settings down on a Stern before putting it on location?

Stern seems to have their flipper engineering on lock. I don't know if it's software, PCB components, or what. But they just have the snappiest, longest duration flipper mechs in the biz. They're arguably the best flippers ever produces in the history of the game. Whereas every other manufacturer seems to suffer from either lack of strength, feel, or duration. Sometimes all three.

and i actually do turn Stern down, straight outta the box. i make 'em strong enough to make the farthest ramp shots after 50-100+ games. but not default strength, where they can potentially destroy targets, posts, and other up-close objects.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-flipper-coil-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.