(Topic ID: 78173)

Anywhere to play in the wild in Allentown, PA?

By SilverUnicorn

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JASMINESUSHI.jpg
    59D3444F-12E4-45A8-9ABC-743458B3159A.PNG
    #1 10 years ago

Looking for somewhere I can go on my lunch break to relax and play pinball.

I am in Allentown, PA 18109, near the ABE Airport. Any local places that have working pins that I can get to, play, and get back in under an hour?

Thanks!
    Chris

#2 10 years ago

Yes, do tell. Was already floating the idea of a barcade/pizza pinball place with my buddy here, but likely will never happen so anyone feel free to steal my idea so we can at least go to the place to play

#3 10 years ago

Probably not news to you, but pinside has a map of locations. Add to it if you find a new location.

http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

#4 10 years ago

Bad Bad question.

ALLEGEDLY there is a bowling alley up on MacArthur Road that may have some pins but I have not "investigated" - and you might eat up most of the hour sitting in the stupid traffic. Pinball in the wild is tough in Atown.

My place is probably too far from your office (you don't say which end of Atown you are on)...but I am normally around on Fridays and at least one other day during the week (work from home those days).

As an alternative, why not go to Blondie's in Catasaqua and get A Nice Hot Dog + some cupcakes to take home? <eg>

http://www.blondiesfood.com/

#5 10 years ago

Dont know how up to date this is but:

59D3444F-12E4-45A8-9ABC-743458B3159A.PNG59D3444F-12E4-45A8-9ABC-743458B3159A.PNG

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Prmailers:

Dont know how up to date this is but:

59D3444F-12E4-45A8-9ABC-743458B3... 601 KB

Well their email address on the site bounces hehe

http://www.ringersroost.com/

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from PennSkier:

Bad Bad question.
    ALLEGEDLY there is a bowling alley up on MacArthur Road that may have some pins but I have not "investigated" - and you might eat up most of the hour sitting in the stupid traffic. Pinball in the wild is tough in Atown.
    My place is probably too far from your office (you don't say which end of Atown you are on)...but I am normally around on Fridays and at least one other day during the week (work from home those days).
    As an alternative, why not go to Blondie's in Catasaqua and get A Nice Hot Dog + some cupcakes to take home? <eg>
    http://www.blondiesfood.com/

Hot Dog? Hot Dog? You're nuts The German halupki platter is the way to go!

#8 10 years ago

Or that. I've eaten most of the menu. No bad choices at Blondies.

#9 10 years ago

This may make up for the pinball famine

Too bad they don't have sushi

Chris

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

This may make up for the pinball famine
    Too bad they don't have sushi
    Chris

OT, but a couple of years ago I lived in that area... and there's a place called "Sakura" with good sushi in White Hall IIRC.

#11 10 years ago

http://www.yellowpages.com/telford-pa/mip/pinball-parlour-5102897?sem=tas%3Dgoogle%26headingcode%3D0000000%26utm_type%3Ds%26utm_medium%3Dc%26utm_account%3DBranding%26utm_campaign%3DYP+Brand%26utm_adgroup%3D+dynamicads%26utm_kw%3Ddynamicads%26utm_matchtype%3Dbroad+match%26ad_level%3Dhigh&gclid=CInjrKL8nLwCFY9lOgod0SkAiw

It's called Pinball Parlour in Teford, Pa. I call it the place where pins go to be neglected! They have all the A list games from the early 40-50's til today. 10 bucks for unlimited play for an hour. Well worth the trip. Bring plenty of tissues with you. When you see their condition, you won't stop crying...

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

http://www.yellowpages.com/telford-pa/mip/pinball-parlour-5102897?sem=tas%3Dgoogle%26headingcode%3D0000000%26utm_type%3Ds%26utm_medium%3Dc%26utm_account%3DBranding%26utm_campaign%3DYP+Brand%26utm_adgroup%3D+dynamicads%26utm_kw%3Ddynamicads%26utm_matchtype%3Dbroad+match%26ad_level%3Dhigh&gclid=CInjrKL8nLwCFY9lOgod0SkAiw
    It's called Pinball Parlour in Teford, Pa. I call it the place where pins go to be neglected! They have all the A list games from the early 40-50's til today. 10 bucks for unlimited play for an hour. Well worth the trip. Bring plenty of tissues with you. When you see their condition, you won't stop crying...

Yes,
    And literally across the street is the Earl bowling alley which has about 5 newer Sterns to play. Have not been to either location for awhile so cannot verify what pins they have. Address is actually Earlington not Telford for both locations.

#13 10 years ago

Yes. Both Earl Bowl and Pinball Parlour are about 25 min from home, but much to far for lunch break, LOL

Thank you though!

Chris

#14 10 years ago

The wife is excited about cupcakes not pins. Heading to the farmers market Friday.

#15 10 years ago

LOL - I am very happy to see that my information about Blondie's is enriching the lives of other pinsiders.

#16 10 years ago

Pizza shop on Main Street in Northampton had a Ripleys. Not sure it's still there. I haven't been there in awhile.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

was there once, and the condition of the machines was sad

#18 10 years ago

Yeah, the one that stood out the most was the Bride of Pinbot... that poor playfield.

The MM and AFK were actually in fairly decent shape the last time I was there.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Pizza shop on Main Street in Northampton had a Ripleys. Not sure it's still there. I haven't been there in awhile.

We may need to narrow this down a little to check

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

Yeah, the one that stood out the most was the Bride of Pinbot... that poor playfield.
    The MM and AFK were actually in fairly decent shape the last time I was there.

To be fair, The Bop was hammered when Paul got it there.

I am still trying to get a pin cleaning rotation set up, but I don't know how well that will go.

Chris

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

We may need to narrow this down a little to check

On main at light. Cross street goes over bridge to Copley. Sorry don't know the cross street name.

#22 10 years ago

Based on the replies, it sounds like sadly the answer to the OPs question is not really.

I work in Center Valley so I was hoping for some good spots as well for a fix over lunch. Maybe someone will spot a gem in the rough and can keep us all posted.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

On main at light. Cross street goes over bridge to Copley. Sorry don't know the cross street name.

Ah, Coplay. I went to art school in Coplay

There's a pizza place right across from it... but can't recall if they had pins.

#24 10 years ago

too far to go on his lunch break but in Quakertown right near the Walmart there is a bowling alley that has a few pins there. I played a POTC, Monster Bash and a roller coaster tycoon. All were in pretty good shape.

#25 10 years ago

I've been in ringers roost a couple of times but never noticed a machine there. Volpe's at 19th & Tilghman used to have a Playboy but I'm not sure if its there anymore.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Adydar:

Based on the replies, it sounds like sadly the answer to the OPs question is not really.
    I work in Center Valley so I was hoping for some good spots as well for a fix over lunch. Maybe someone will spot a gem in the rough and can keep us all posted.

If you ever want to stop by and play pinball after work, send me a PM. I live in Quakertown.

In Coopersburg, Mario's pizza used to have pins, but I don't know if they still do. They need a nice arcade in the Promenade

Chris

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

too far to go on his lunch break but in Quakertown right near the Walmart there is a bowling alley that has a few pins there. I played a POTC, Monster Bash and a roller coaster tycoon. All were in pretty good shape.

AH, Earl Bowl. I always forget about that. Maybe I can stop there before work

That is like 2 min from my house!

Chris

#28 10 years ago

The pinside map is showing a BDK at the Pigpen bowling alley. That should be right around where you are looking for. I keep wanting to go in there to ck it out but haven't had the chance.

#29 10 years ago

The PIgpen is no longer open

Chris

#30 10 years ago

Looked it up. It's Mario's pizza shop 610-262-0550
    851 Main St
    Northampton, PA 18067

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Looked it up. It's Mario's pizza shop 610-262-0550
    851 Main St
    Northampton, PA 18067

Cool, will have to check it out.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

OT, but a couple of years ago I lived in that area... and there's a place called "Sakura" with good sushi in White Hall IIRC.

Sakura must be everywhere! There are three down here in the very southern part of PA and I know there's one just over the border in MD and another down toward Baltimore. I thought it was just a local thing in my town but obviously not. REALLY good if you're into sushi, Chinese food, etc.

#33 10 years ago

Sorry. Jasmine in Easton (technically, in Forks Township) has captured My Heart with their amazing sushi. I am loyal.

TO STAY ON TOPIC <eg> - Jasmine, sadly has no pinball machines.

Top: Great Easton Roll ~ Middle: Good 4 U Roll ~ Bottom: Fusion Roll - From Jasmine in Easton.

JASMINESUSHI.jpgJASMINESUSHI.jpg

#34 10 years ago

The Beef House in Westgate mall had a pretty nice LOTR, but is has been a few months since I have been there.

#35 10 years ago

Thanks Buck, I will check that out tomorrow!

Chris

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

Sakura must be everywhere! There are three down here in the very southern part of PA and I know there's one just over the border in MD and another down toward Baltimore. I thought it was just a local thing in my town but obviously not. REALLY good if you're into sushi, Chinese food, etc.

My completely made up stat sheet here informs me that no matter where your at in the US, there is Japanese restaurant named either: Sakura, Ichicban, or Hibachi within 10 miles of you.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Confirmed today that those are all still there, they all appeared in need of some TLC though, weak flippers, weak or non functional pop bumpers, Dracula didn't move across the playfield, etc.

#38 10 years ago

As long as we have a good bunch of "local" Lehigh Valley people on this thread asking about places to play - let me throw this out there....

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about the "proposed arcade museum" for Allentown? After this article ran last June, I have never heard another word...maybe one of you knows this guy (or IS this guy)? The pinball community is not all that huge.

Just thought I'd throw it out there....

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2013/06/bethlehem_man_proposed_arcade.html

#39 10 years ago

Good call Bill......That would be good to follow up on!. I wonder if that would be where the new hockey arena is coming.

Chris

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Good call Bill......That would be good to follow up on!. I wonder if that would be where the new hockey arena is coming.
    Chris

The hockey arena is 7th & Hamilton, that's right at Tilghman st. I tried to google it & nothing but that article comes up. I know a delivery driver for that area & I'll ask him if he knows anything.

#41 10 years ago

I have Googled it from time to time also since the original article. Complete SILENCE on the web aside from that original article.

It's why I threw it out to this group to see if anyone actually knows the guy.

#42 10 years ago

He said the building is still empty. I like the idea of it being near the hockey arena. Beercade would be a great idea with that going in next year. Or even next to/inside the Classic car museum on Front st.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

He said the building is still empty. I like the idea of it being near the hockey arena. Beercade would be a great idea with that going in next year. Or even next to/inside the Classic car museum on Front st.

Front St I could do on my lunch . I pass America On Wheels every morning.

I really hope the re-development happens in that area. America on Wheels is a great place to visit.
    I NY brewery bought the old brewery building on Front Street. It's not a stretch to think a Barcade or similar place could happen there.

Chris

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Adydar:

Confirmed today that those are all still there, they all appeared in need of some TLC though, weak flippers, weak or non functional pop bumpers, Dracula didn't move across the playfield, etc.

Don't forget the enormous hole in the Monster Bash that sucks your ball into it like a black hole. The POTC was pretty good though.

#45 10 years ago

Bar-Don Lanes - bowling alley near me in Easton has a Monster Bash with a crater excavated in it (crappy repair) in that center hole - though the game fully functions and is fun to play (as of my last visit several months back).

#46 10 years ago

That's the first I saw of that arcade museum, it would be great to have something local.

DarkWizard and I kicked around the barcade idea several times, but there are obviously lots of obstacles to overcome, including significant financial ones up front to get going. Anyone floating around with a large bank role looking to fund a couple of pinball/video game clowns to run a bar, let me know

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Adydar:

That's the first I saw of that arcade museum, it would be great to have something local.
    DarkWizard and I kicked around the barcade idea several times, but there are obviously lots of obstacles to overcome, including significant financial ones up front to get going. Anyone floating around with a large bank role looking to fund a couple of pinball/video game clowns to run a bar, let me know

Well, "Barcade" is a trademark, so step 1 would be to get a new name

I think it could work, potentially. A location near the hockey arena could be good. Right now, that area is not the greatest IMHO, but it could be if it becaomes what they would like it to. Back in the day, that was a destination area for shopping, eating, etc.

I know people who could potentially bankroll, and have discussed this with them not too long ago. I have some restaurant experience, but not in running a bar. Also have spoken to some people I knwo who are pretty good chefs, should the need arise

Chris

#48 10 years ago

I bought a 3 year season ticket plan for the Phantoms. It would be great to have a bar with some pins to hit before and after the games.

1 week later
    #49 10 years ago

Bar-Don Lanes in Easton has a MET Pro if anyone is interested.

4 months later
    #50 9 years ago

So apparently there is a Laser Tag place less than a mile from my workplace!

Will check it out, but I am told they have a decent arcade.

Lehigh Valley Laser Tag
    874 Marcon Blvd.
    Allentown, PA 18109

http://www.palasertag.com/

Chris

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anywhere-to-play-in-the-wild-in-allentown-pa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.