(Topic ID: 251778)

Anywhere Cool to Eat and/or Play Pinball in Madison, WI?

By Cheeks

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

The wife and I are going to Madison this weekend for a concert. Only there for 24 hours. Probably get to town around lunch. Looking for somewhere cool to eat and we'll probably also look for somewhere to pre-game before the concert (at the Alliant Energy Center). We'll have a few hours to kill in-between, so if there's a must stop place to play some location pinball, we could go there separate from whatever food establishment.

Any recommendations?

#3 4 years ago

Blue moon bar and grill has good machines, and the food smelled awesome last time I was there.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Blue moon bar and grill has good machines, and the food smelled awesome last time I was there.

I'll second that Blue Moon Bar and Grill has fantastic food IMHO!! Games are in very nice shape. Centrally located to campus (possibly the closest to Alliant, but not positive on that one). PM kettchxxii (op) and if he's anywhere nearby, there's a better than zero chance he'll meet up with you. I/O Arcade bar is another favorite of mine which has an awesome selection of pins (and arcades), great beer, but really no food worth going for.

#5 4 years ago

I’ll 3rd blue moon. Best burger I’ve ever had I think.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

The wife and I are going to Madison this weekend for a concert. Only there for 24 hours. Probably get to town around lunch. Looking for somewhere cool to eat and we'll probably also look for somewhere to pre-game before the concert (at the Alliant Energy Center). We'll have a few hours to kill in-between, so if there's a must stop place to play some location pinball, we could go there separate from whatever food establishment.
    Any recommendations?

If you are going to be at alliant then IO (720 williamson) will be the largest best maintained and diverse collection in easy reach.

Outside of that. Www.madisonpinball.com for full game list and locations where myself and two other passionate pinheads have the largest route in the state. We have all the newest stuff, lots of oddballs, and the classics.

#7 4 years ago

Worth mention that some of the best food in Madison is in short walking distance of IO.

Great pad thai, pizza, texmex, etc.... take your choice

#8 4 years ago

Whysnow is right there are some good places near I/O, including the Weary Traveler, which is probably a mile down the road, but worth it. Great beer and amazing food. It’s somewhat eclectic and the best of Madison in several categories. I like the carne asada there.
    If you want quick, but really good then burrito drive will deliver to I/O...
    Blue Moon has killer burgers no doubt and great games just like I/O.
    Heck, hit both, but I/O will be on your way and closer to the Alliant as they are both off of Lake Monona.
    Remember, Wisconsin hosts Michigan in Football Saurday so it will be insane and a lot of traffic downtown...have a great time and enjoy Madison!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Remember, Wisconsin hosts Michigan in Football Saurday so it will be insane and a lot of traffic downtown...have a great time and enjoy Madison!

Lots of great suggestions, but this might be the winner. Didn't know this, but going to a good college football bar could be really fun. Are any of these places a good place to soak up the WI v MI vibe?

#10 4 years ago

For sure, Regent Street is where you want to go and wear red or at least NOT blue or yellow.
    You want to hit Regent Street mainly because you are right by Camp Randall Stadium. It was a Civil War Military fort for the North and has tons of history. It is one of the four oldest stadiums in college football, but has been largely updated.
    I would say Big Ten Pub’s outside garden, Lucky’s 1313, Regent Street Retreat’s outside garden, or really any bar on Regent you can get in...they all will be packed and roaring for this game.
    State Street is always fun for shopping(your wife will like it) and has tons of bars and places to eat. It’s off the Capital.
    Good luck, have a great time, and again wear red(or white)...unless you really want to get some attention. Lol

#11 4 years ago

Oh, and Godsmack is awesome! I have seen them a few times. Once unplugged at a small venue in Madison and once with Metallica, amazing show and band.
    Keep in mind the game is at 11am...it will be really rocking before 11am and especially after when Wisconsin hopefully pulls out a win!(I am an alumnus)
    I am sure you will have a great time and weekend!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

Lots of great suggestions, but this might be the winner. Didn't know this, but going to a good college football bar could be really fun. Are any of these places a good place to soak up the WI v MI vibe?

You're in for quite a treat... a Saturday Badger football gameday tailgate/bar experience is not to be missed if you have the opportunity. Get there early (leave early and arrive by 9am or so)... plan to park blocks away and wear comfortable shoes to walk quite a distance up and down Regent. It's a party of epic proportions, including usually a small section of the UW marching band going up and down Regent stirring up the crowd. Heck, if you want to go all out, find a couple of scalped tickets... you might just become a badger fan!

Alumnus here as well.... ON WISCONSIN!!!

#13 4 years ago

have fun tailgating! There is not much else like the experience of a UW game (esp for a big game).

Sunday morning when you are a bit hung over, stop on by I/O. They allow all ages from 11a-1p and it is quieter so you you can hear the pins and have more opportunity to session out stuff.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Good luck, have a great time, and again wear red(or white)...unless you really want to get some attention. Lol

On occasion, when I don't have a dog in the fight, I've been known to be "that guy" and go contrarian just for the playful banter with the home fans. BUT, I don't really like Michigan, and in this instance I'd rather be partying with the home fans than jeering against them.

Quoted from Pinzap:

Get there early (leave early and arrive by 9am or so)...plan to park blocks away and wear comfortable shoes to walk quite a distance up and down Regent. It's a party of epic proportions

Thanks for the time advice, I wouldn't have thought to get there that early. Looks like an early departure from suburban Chicago tomorrow. I think I'm officially more excited about the "what should we do before the concert" portion of the day than the concert we're actually there for in the first place.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

...I don't really like Michigan, and in this instance I'd rather be partying with the home fans than jeering against them.

Fo sho. Taylor 3tds, 38ish to 23ish

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

On occasion, when I don't have a dog in the fight, I've been known to be "that guy" and go contrarian just for the playful banter with the home fans. BUT, I don't really like Michigan, and in this instance I'd rather be partying with the home fans than jeering against them.

Thanks for the time advice, I wouldn't have thought to get there that early. Looks like an early departure from suburban Chicago tomorrow. I think I'm officially more excited about the "what should we do before the concert" portion of the day than the concert we're actually there for in the first place.

WI starts drinking at 6am for this game.

Just a FYI. Drink water and pace.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just FYI all schools start drinking at 6am...it's kind of what tailgating is.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just a FYI. Drink water and pace.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Just FYI all schools start drinking at 6am...it's kind of what tailgating is.

This!! I only recommended 9am since I knew you were coming from Chicago. Things will be in full swing by the time you get there. Hope you have a blast. So jealous. Take pics and document your weekend getaway for us if you can...

#19 4 years ago

Ok... how was the weekend? Trip report?

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Ok... how was the weekend? Trip report?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It was a fun weekend. I was originally trying to post pictures as we went, but man...what's up with the cell signal around the stadium? 75% of the people in the area couldn't get a signal. I think someone said T-Mobile is the only service that works right around there?

ANYWAY

We started at Jordan's about 9am-ish. I'm a cheap ass and don't mind walking, so I hate paying for parking. I dropped off my wife and went on the hunt for a free spot. Got one just off Regent, in the residential area west of the stadium. I think it was near a school or something? The walk down Regent and through the stadium area was trippy. SO MUCH RED! I was diggin the red/white overalls, not gonna lie. Even in the sparser areas of the campus (when I was looking for parking) seeing small marching band contingents was interesting. Marching and playing to nobody. Added to the vibe though.

I got to Jordan's and the line to get in was insane. Add to that the fact I could barely get off a text to my wife (we're not T-Mobile) and finding her was an adventure. Once I found her inside, it actually wasn't too crowded in there. We started wondering if we should have gone to Lucky's 1313 instead. Their place looked cooler and crowded, so we bailed and went over there. Bad idea. We stood in line outside for 40+ minutes before the line completely stopped (place was full). We actually missed the first WI touchdown waiting in line. So, we went back to Jordan's and got back in pretty easily.

It had filled up at that point, and was a nice middle-ground of being packed but not TOO TOO packed, like Lucky's apparently would have been. Game was fun, and there was no shortage of things to cheer about. There was a bachelorette party at Jordan's, which added a lot more penis paraphernalia than I typically see at a football game.

We hadn't realized there was no way to get food, so by halftime we were starving. Given the udder lack of suspense in the game at that point, we decided to leave and go to Schwoegler's for the second half and to get some grub. It was right near our hotel, so that was convenient. It was really crowded with fans as well, but we got seats at the bar. Food was decent and we were treated to a trumpeter every time WI did anything good. Was still a fun atmosphere.

After the game we played a few pins, then went to the room for a bit before the concert. Overall a fun weekend. Thanks again for the suggestions, it totally helped us craft out the day!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It was a fun weekend. I was originally trying to post pictures as we went, but man...what's up with the cell signal around the stadium? 75% of the people in the area couldn't get a signal. I think someone said T-Mobile is the only service that works right around there?
    ANYWAY
    We started at Jordan's about 9am-ish. I'm a cheap ass and don't mind walking, so I hate paying for parking. I dropped off my wife and went on the hunt for a free spot. Got one just off Regent, in the residential area west of the stadium. I think it was near a school or something? The walk down Regent and through the stadium area was trippy. SO MUCH RED! I was diggin the red/white overalls, not gonna lie. Even in the sparser areas of the campus (when I was looking for parking) seeing small marching band contingents was interesting. Marching and playing to nobody. Added to the vibe though.
    I got to Jordan's and the line to get in was insane. Add to that the fact I could barely get off a text to my wife (we're not T-Mobile) and finding her was an adventure. Once I found her inside, it actually wasn't too crowded in there. We started wondering if we should have gone to Lucky's 1313 instead. Their place looked cooler and crowded, so we bailed and went over there. Bad idea. We stood in line outside for 40+ minutes before the line completely stopped (place was full). We actually missed the first WI touchdown waiting in line. So, we went back to Jordan's and got back in pretty easily.
    It had filled up at that point, and was a nice middle-ground of being packed but not TOO TOO packed, like Lucky's apparently would have been. Game was fun, and there was no shortage of things to cheer about. There was a bachelorette party at Jordan's, which added a lot more penis paraphernalia than I typically see at a football game.
    We hadn't realized there was no way to get food, so by halftime we were starving. Given the udder lack of suspense in the game at that point, we decided to leave and go to Schwoegler's for the second half and to get some grub. It was right near our hotel, so that was convenient. It was really crowded with fans as well, but we got seats at the bar. Food was decent and we were treated to a trumpeter every time WI did anything good. Was still a fun atmosphere.
    After the game we played a few pins, then went to the room for a bit before the concert. Overall a fun weekend. Thanks again for the suggestions, it totally helped us craft out the day!

sounds like a fun time! Glad you had fun in Madison!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anywhere-cool-to-eat-and-or-play-pinball-in-madison-wi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.