(Topic ID: 108484)

Anything special about Gottlieb's Big Shot?

By Tanner

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've wondered this for a while (and hopefully haven't asked yet, I didn't see anything when I searched). Why is Big Shot the only EM on Pinball Arcade Season 1? Is there anything particularly valuable or noteworthy about it? It seems that it's not any more valuable than any other EM for it's age and I don't see any more parts for it than any other machine.
I only ask because I have one and thought it was a strange coincidence that it appears in quite a few video pinball collections.

#2 9 years ago

It was in the Farsight Gottlieb collection so there was less work required bringing it over to The Pinball Arcade. Check a look at the games in the Gottlieb collection, most of them came to TPA because a lot of the work was already done. If we got another EM, it would probably be Ace High or Jive Time since Farsight already recreated them.

I also wish TPA had way more EMs (and that they played a bit more realistically).

#3 9 years ago

I follow the pinballarcadefans forum and FarSight has said it plans on doing an EM this season. One of the most likely candidates is Fireball. With releasing just one table a month FarSight can't afford to release a table that won't sell very well.

As far as Big Shot goes, it's a good Gottlieb from the 70's.

#4 9 years ago

I realize it's not your concern, but this game does carry another reason for its popularity.

In the business at the time, Hot Shot and Big Shot were the first games available, (1/74), since 5/73, (Jumping Jack, Jack in the Box), as America suffered new gas prices and the '73 trucker's strike. Sources have the game produced anywhere between 8/73 and 12/73, but it didn't get to most distributorships until 1/74. The game was average at best, but starving for new product, most operators probably had at least a few of them ordered.

Personally, I thought the game was pretty bad. Very little action with 14 drop targets, 1 partially concealed pop bumper, and not much else. The only meaningful scoring is the bonus collection available only at the end of each ball, and if 4th and 5th balls didn't go well, (2X, 3X Bonus), forget about high-score replay land. Non-the-less, it was the first new Gtb. game in a while, so the cashbox did pretty well.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

I realize it's not your concern, but this game does carry another reason for its popularity.
In the business at the time, Hot Shot and Big Shot were the first games available, (1/74), since 5/73, (Jumping Jack, Jack in the Box), as America suffered new gas prices and the '73 trucker's strike. Sources have the game produced anywhere between 8/73 and 12/73, but it didn't get to most distributorships until 1/74. The game was average at best, but starving for new product, most operators probably had at least a few of them ordered.
Personally, I thought the game was pretty bad. Very little action with 14 drop targets, 1 partially concealed pop bumper, and not much else. The only meaningful scoring is the bonus collection available only at the end of each ball, and if 4th and 5th balls didn't go well, (2X, 3X Bonus), forget about high-score replay land. Non-the-less, it was the first new Gtb. game in a while, so the cashbox did pretty well.

Great write up, thanks for that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anything-special-about-gottliebs-big-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.