You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c2385dcd049cd284fb6af3f9b012d0de5e1b81ac (resized).jpg
172C1922-643C-42BA-BF3D-68C98AC21CD1 (resized).jpeg
218498521_1198097087336718_6833176145661390007_n (resized).jpg
221168109_1470959519904665_511581139761568913_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Volcano (model 667, system 80) and in the A3-J3 connector on the bottom of the driver board, I originally thought somebody had removed one of the lamp ground wires. I was troubleshooting some lamps that wouldn't light up and the lamp ground that is supposed to be in position C is missing. I can make it work with a simple jumper but I was determined to find if somebody had removed or cut this wire from the harness.

After painstakingly going through the harness and checking continuity one wire at a time from connector to connector, and comparing to schematics, it looks like an existing wire was simply moved from one position to another. Additionally, the harness is in pristine condition with original wire ties, so it does not appear anyone has removed any wires, nor have any been cut off and left inside the harness. Now after moving the one wire to where it belongs as per schematic, it still will not function properly without a jumper wire.

Can somebody with any Gottlieb System 80 game, please post an up close photo of the A3-J3 connector showing all the wires going into the housing positions so I can verify visually?

Thank you!

#4 2 years ago

Thank you frenchmarky and @jethrop!

You confirmed that my wiring is correct. Moving the "missing" wire into the correct location was the right move. From position A in A3-J3 into position C is what I did, just like frenchmarky's here:

frenchmarky's connectorfrenchmarky's connector

It's a Gottlieb so I'm too quick to assume a connection issue. Turns out after I moved the wire, coincidentally, the stupid 74175 driver at Z12 started flaking out. Replaced and working.

#5 2 years ago

frenchmarky & JethroP -

Does your game still contain the original single-pin molex connector A7-J8/P8 ? It's supposed to tie the ground bus bar in the cabinet to someplace in the head of the machine. Since the head of the machine is mostly wood, I'm trying to figure out where exactly it was originally tied to. Clay's guide says something about it originally tying into a lock plate in the upper-left of the head, but I have no "plate" there, and the locking mechanism is completely isolated by wood, so this location makes no sense.

Certain MPU, grounding, etc. electronic modifications aside, I'm trying to "restore" to original as much as practically possible.

Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-with-a-gottlieb-system-80-please-need-photo-of-a3-j3?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.