(Topic ID: 315954)

Anyone with an Escalara in South Jersey?

By phillyfan64

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

53C11937-7156-4997-9C0D-B106A0C4609F (resized).jpeg
    F82173C3-17EE-4A43-BE32-BF5A338F2C6A (resized).jpeg
    9013D3B4-1199-4CB0-A923-7B536AD86333 (resized).jpeg
    2F784EDB-3AE2-4FB6-B2A7-8090AB7702E2 (resized).jpeg
    61E3A0C0-828B-4EC2-98F1-BA43FABE293F (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Anyone in South Jersey with an Escalara want to make some money this weekend? I need to move my Space Invaders arcade machine to my basement? I just got my gameroom done. We moved all the pinball machines but no go on the Space Invaders. It’s just too heavy. The machine is sitting in my dining room. About 12 newly carpeted steps with a small landing and a turn at the bottom. I’ll rent or buy an appliance dolly but I just have no experience moving something this heavy. I think an Escalara would be a better option. I don’t want to wreck it. Thanks.

#3 1 year ago

Someone should chime in with an Escalera. If I was there I’d help. But I’m too far away.

#4 1 year ago

beelzeboob in your area ?

Last time he loaned one was quite exciting.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago

I don’t know if he is. I’m in Williamstown near Geets Diner.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

beelzeboob in your area ?
    Last time he loaned one was quite exciting.
    LTG : )

I'm not. I'm in North Jersey, and quite frankly after the last experience I had (and getting lectured by Crazy Levi), my new Escalera is under lock and key.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not. I'm in North Jersey, and quite frankly after the last experience I had (and getting lectured by Crazy Levi), my new Escalera is under lock and key.

They don’t call him crazy for nothing

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

They don’t call him crazy for nothing

Well...he inferred that, in fact, I was the one that was crazy for lending it out and what did I expect. So maybe he should be called Selfish Levi.

Anyway, I hope this guy finds someone closer to home.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

my new Escalera is under lock and key.

Your old one is going strong

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...he inferred that, in fact, I was the one that was crazy for lending it out and what did I expect. So maybe he should be called Selfish Levi.
    Anyway, I hope this guy finds someone closer to home.

Well he is (redacted).

#11 1 year ago

How aboot someone with a Lectro-Truck? At 2,550 miles I'm too far away these days....

#12 1 year ago

Call the Gameseum and ask for Steven/otaku. http://thegameseum.com/

Just kidding!
    #paytheboob

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

I don’t know if he is. I’m in Williamstown near Geets Diner.

That’s my neck of the woods! Only 15 mins away. I’m out of town this weekend for a wedding, but I’d be glad to help you out if I can.

#14 1 year ago

If it’s just one game and not gonna be moved anytime soon then no need for an escalara.

Disconnect everything in the head and remove the head. Move the head to the basement…..pull the entire playfield out of the cabinet and set it aside. Then move the empty cabinet and set it up in the basement. Carefully move the playfield to the basement and put it back in the cabinet. Attach the head and connectors. Double check all connections and it’s done.

This is a pain IF you had to move games up/down stairs often but if it’s just every once in a while a good option instead if you don’t have access to an escalara.

I have only had to do this twice..once when I was pretty new in the hobby and my friend didn’t feel like wrestling with a game down some stairs so he showed me how quick and easy it was to do it this way….came in handy because a couple months later I scored a HS2 and had no help with me and the owner would not help. Took no time at all to break it down and load it up.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

If it’s just one game and not gonna be moved anytime soon then no need for an escalara.

Disconnect everything in the head and remove the head. Move the head to the basement…..pull the entire playfield out of the cabinet and set it aside. Then move the empty cabinet and set it up in the basement. Carefully move the playfield to the basement and put it back in the cabinet. Attach the head and connectors. Double check all connections and it’s done.

This is a pain IF you had to move games up/down stairs often but if it’s just every once in a while a good option instead if you don’t have access to an escalara.

I have only had to do this twice..once when I was pretty new in the hobby and my friend didn’t feel like wrestling with a game down some stairs so he showed me how quick and easy it was to do it this way….came in handy because a couple months later I scored a HS2 and had no help with me and the owner would not help. Took no time at all to break it down and load it up.

It's an arcade cabinet

Good tips otherwise, tho!

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

That’s my neck of the woods! Only 15 mins away. I’m out of town this weekend for a wedding, but I’d be glad to help you out if I can.

Thank you for the offer. If I can’t get it moved I’ll let you know.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Thanks. That’s pretty much how we got the 3 pins down there. This arcade machine is a beast.

61E3A0C0-828B-4EC2-98F1-BA43FABE293F (resized).jpeg61E3A0C0-828B-4EC2-98F1-BA43FABE293F (resized).jpeg
    #18 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

Thanks. That’s pretty much how we got the 3 pins down there. This arcade machine is a beast.[quoted image]

Sorry I missed that it was an arcade LOL!
    Remove the monitor….that will get rid of some weight…..pretty easy to do and may make it manageable if you can’t get an escalara soon enough. I have moved a few that way without issue.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Sorry I missed that it was an arcade LOL!
    Remove the monitor….that will get rid of some weight…..pretty easy to do and may make it manageable if you can’t get an escalara soon enough. I have moved a few that way without issue.

I’m afraid to mess with it.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Call the Gameseum and ask for Steven/otaku. http://thegameseum.com/
    Just kidding!
    #paytheboob

Otaku holds the speed record for getting a machine down a flight of stairs. Escalara and all!

#paytheboob

#21 1 year ago

Well I bought an appliance dolly from Lowes. Mixed reviews. Only has 1 strap. Around $200. I know I can rent them but I wanted to have one for future use. I’m going to do as Pickle suggests and take the monitor out of it. I’m going to see if I can also get the mirror out.

#22 1 year ago

It’s not going to fit. The landing isn’t deep enough to accommodate the game and the dolly wheels. Oh boy.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

Well I bought an appliance dolly from Lowes. Mixed reviews. Only has 1 strap. Around $200. I know I can rent them but I wanted to have one for future use. I’m going to do as Pickle suggests and take the monitor out of it. I’m going to see if I can also get the mirror out.

Take pictures of the connectors on the monitor so you know exactly how to hook it up. You should only have to disconnect the power to the monitor and the video sync connector. And maybe a ground connector if it’s hooked up. Just be careful of the neck board and you should be just fine. There should be nothing on the neck to mess with but the are EASY to hit and crack if not careful. If it’s just a standard 19” monitor it weighs like 30-40lbs but because they sit so high in the cabinet it affects the center of gravity making them so awkward. It will still be a little heavy but much easier to manage.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Take pictures of the connectors on the monitor so you know exactly how to hook it up. You should only have to disconnect the power to the monitor and the video sync connector. And maybe a ground connector if it’s hooked up. Just be careful of the neck board and you should be just fine. There should be nothing on the neck to mess with but the are EASY to hit and crack if not careful. If it’s just a standard 19” monitor it weighs like 30-40lbs but because they sit so high in the cabinet it affects the center of gravity making them so awkward. It will still be a little heavy but much easier to manage.

Thanks for the info. I have had the chassis out before but never the monitor. I just looked it over. I think I can get everything out of the cabinet. Now I’m worried about how I will get it off the landing. The game and the dolly wheels aren’t going to fit. I guess now I’m looking at those mover straps.

#25 1 year ago

When I get the monitor out, can I put it face down on a blanket or pillow? I don’t want to rest it on the side where the neck might get damaged.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Cute. Or, you could call me "Not the kind of moron who lends a brand new $2500 machine to a complete stranger to use completely unsupervised and then whines about it for three years after he breaks it Levi"

Whichever you think is more accurate.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

When I get the monitor out, can I put it face down on a blanket or pillow? I don’t want to rest it on the side where the neck might get damaged.

Yes you can, a folded blanket would probably be more stable vs a pillow. As long as it’s for a short period of time, wouldn’t store it like that long term.

Talking about your landing, is there even enough room to turn or tilt the cabinet when you get to that point? Double check your path before moving it, sucks to discover things mid carry on stairs, lol.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Cute. Or, you could call me "Not the kind of moron who lends a brand new $2500 machine to a complete stranger to use completely unsupervised and then whines about it for three years after he breaks it Levi"
    Whichever you think is more accurate.

Not quite how it happened but since you're the Pinside Resident Genius, I defer to your expertise on the matter.

#29 1 year ago

You can see the difference between New York and New Jersey in this thread.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

You can see the difference between New York and New Jersey in this thread.

Yep. And there's a little thing called karma, so I'm fine with everything I did...and awesome Pinsiders proved I'm right by returning the good karma to me, so it all worked out.

While we're at it, I actually would help the OP with his problem, but I'm really too far away.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from SterlingRush:

Yes you can, a folded blanket would probably be more stable vs a pillow. As long as it’s for a short period of time, wouldn’t store it like that long term.
    Talking about your landing, is there even enough room to turn or tilt the cabinet when you get to that point? Double check your path before moving it, sucks to discover things mid carry on stairs, lol.

Thanks. I will use a blanket. There isn’t enough room to turn or to even set the cabinet upright on the landing with a dolly attached. The dolly wheels will get in the way. But it can be lifted over a low wall if straps are used. We have not yet installed the railings so we can get all the games and furniture down there. I’ve hired a professional mover that moves special items like pianos and safes. They will be here next week. I will take the tube, mirror and circuit boards out of the cabinet.

2F784EDB-3AE2-4FB6-B2A7-8090AB7702E2 (resized).jpeg2F784EDB-3AE2-4FB6-B2A7-8090AB7702E2 (resized).jpeg9013D3B4-1199-4CB0-A923-7B536AD86333 (resized).jpeg9013D3B4-1199-4CB0-A923-7B536AD86333 (resized).jpeg
    #32 1 year ago

Landings are ALWAYS a problem! The best way to do it is to sell the house and buy one with an outside basement entrance, or failing that, a straight staircase without a landing.

Failing that, the second best way, and it will require 2-3 STRONG guys, is to move the game on the dolly to the last step above the landing, stop, unstrap it, and manually lower the game to the landing, leaving the dolly on the stair above. Yes, you are correct. This is NOT as easy as it sounds!

Then, if you slide the game away from the wall, you can rotate and squeeze the dolly back under the game, restrap, and continue down the remaining 2 or 3 steps. You will almost certainly ding the newly painted walls and will have to repaint. It is what it is. Many guys who might normally offer to help with the move will avoid a situation like this due to potential damage to the walls and resultant hard feelings. You can be as careful as you want but the turning, leaning, and twisting of the game will cause at least a small amount of damage to the surrounding walls. I know!

And ps, when you sell the house, sell it WITH the Space Invaders. Going back up the stairs is even harder than going down! It's a one-time thing. Also, as a note, you might be better off with a standard appliance dolly instead of the Escalera since the Escalera is a bit deeper than many non-motorized dollys, making the overall repositioning at the landing somewhat more difficult.

Also pps, measure your cabinet and the landing. It might be close!

#33 1 year ago

If the game doesn’t fit down there it’s staying in the dining room. Unless I decide to sell it but I don’t want to do that. I like your idea but I don’t know how they would lift it off the step. No leverage. Landing about 36” deep. Space Invaders 34” deep. Space Invaders + appliance dolly that I just bought about 43” deep.

#34 1 year ago

Generally going down the steps with an applicants dolly is pretty easy… one step at time. Let the dolly keep weight…..

Now landings are awful. I had one that turned with dpstepsmthat turned for corner….. what I did wad build a platform. With some ply wood and 2x 6s …. Gave me a nice flat surface to land and rotate on…

You could do that here as well….. would give you bigger space to operate on the elevated landing….. the only bummer with this is you have to deal with a two step drop……

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

If the game doesn’t fit down there it’s staying in the dining room. Unless I decide to sell it but I don’t want to do that. I like your idea but I don’t know how they would lift it off the step. No leverage. Landing about 36” deep. Space Invaders 34” deep. Space Invaders + appliance dolly that I just bought about 43” deep.

Just build up the landing a step or two. Then a simple ramp down after you turn. Would that work?

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Generally going down the steps with an applicants dolly is pretty easy… one step at time. Let the dolly keep weight…..
    Now landings are awful. I had one that turned with dpstepsmthat turned for corner….. what I did wad build a platform. With some ply wood and 2x 6s …. Gave me a nice flat surface to land and rotate on…
    You could do that here as well….. would give you bigger space to operate on the elevated landing….. the only bummer with this is you have to deal with a two step drop……

Quoted from mbwalker:

Just build up the landing a step or two. Then a simple ramp down after you turn. Would that work?

The platform idea might work.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

The platform idea might work.

Nothing fancy...just some 2x4's (or 2x6) to extend a step, then covered w/some plywood (I'd definitely have some support under the plywood area that the dolly wheels are at), then build up a ramp w/some more 2x4's.

#38 1 year ago

Landings are a pain. Actually had to do this with a friends Space Invaders. We slid it down to the landing on a large piece of cardboard. 3 guys. There was no room on the landing to turn and his wife did NOT want any paint damage. On the lower stairs we built a platform with wood and plywood at the same heigh5 as the landing so we could slide the game across. We also used a flat 4 wheel furniture dolly on the landing to lodge the game on and then it easily slid over onto the platform. Then we just had to lift it off the platform. Took a while but turned out not to be as difficult as we had thought.

Good Luck. Those old arcade cabs are tough to move.

#39 1 year ago

Good luck with this, I’ve been collecting arcade cabinets for 12 years. I’ve pulled from garages, sheds, barns and closed bars. The absolute worse to get then from was someone basement with a landing lol. Before the hobby became super popular, I had at least one maybe two that looked and great and worked, sold for under a $100 to me. I just had to get it out of their basement that looked a lot like yours. PITA but worth it.

#40 1 year ago

Well it’s done. Sometimes it’s just better to leave it to the pros. That’s what I did. It took the movers 10 minutes.

53C11937-7156-4997-9C0D-B106A0C4609F (resized).jpeg53C11937-7156-4997-9C0D-B106A0C4609F (resized).jpegF82173C3-17EE-4A43-BE32-BF5A338F2C6A (resized).jpegF82173C3-17EE-4A43-BE32-BF5A338F2C6A (resized).jpeg
    #41 1 year ago

So please tell us how they moved it.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

So please tell us how they moved it.

I took everything fragile out of the cabinet. Picture tube, mirror, circuit boards, etc. I also left off the 2 back pieces to give them something to grab onto. All this did make it a little lighter. These guys were really strong. They just carried it down the steps. One guy at the top end, one at the bottom. No dolly, no straps, nothing. When they got to the landing they just set it down and spun it and lifted it off. They knew exactly what they were doing. Not a scratch.

#43 1 year ago

That Space Invaders looks really nice! Any interest in selling it? You would need to get it to the driveway though....LOL!

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

That Space Invaders looks really nice! Any interest in selling it? You would need to get it to the driveway though....LOL!

Haha. Not for sale. Sorry.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-with-a-escalara-in-south-jersey?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.