hitler15 (resized).jpg
westworld (resized).png
william-medium_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U (resized).jpg
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
1445207270295 (resized).jpg
gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg
Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg
tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It was clear that the original Matrix was not their original idea and when they tried to extend it into 2 and 3 without the chick they stole the original script from, it fell apart because it was not their story to tell. They only understood the superficial and couldn't extend it into two more stories. I really wish they had paid the original chick and enlisted her help in extending the world and stories.

Wait, what? What chick?

Nevermind, found it. http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/11/22/inside-the-billion-dollar-matrix-lawsuit-one-of-the-internets-most-pervasive-hoaxes/

looks like it's not really true

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There was precious little detail in that recent story. Around the time the lawsuit was originally a "thing" she was interviewed quite a bit, and it was pretty clear she was CRAZY, but she gave examples of similarities of her original story and The Matrix that were pretty convincing. I think her crazy is getting in the way of getting the resolution she deserves, but it's pretty clear from their body of work that the Wachowskis are pretty terrible writers, and The Matrix was from another universe (or another writer).
I think it's hilarious that some writer claims that 2 and 3 were stolen from him. If that really happened, I'd keep that quiet. Those movies sucked.

I wasn’t able to find any more detail of specifics on the lawsuit and the story similarities - other than that link and the snopes article that says she never actually got a dime or judgment against the wachowskis. Based on how awful 2 and 3 were (well half of 2 isn’t bad), I wouldn’t be surprised if they did actually lift it. Lol she also tried to sue Cameron regarding Terminatoe, when HE actually had to pay Harlan Ellison for similarities with 2 of his stories.

Anyway, sorry, Westworld.. hope season 3 is better

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I don't have links or anything, I read it in real time when it was happening. I had the impression then (and now) that she had terrible representation and was flaky, so she would miss court dates, etc, and the judge(s) just got tired of dealing with her, plus the movie side had massive financial resources. She had a website where she posted some of the stuff and it was WAY out there, but you could see stuff that made it into the Matrix that was pretty revolutionary for a movie like that. Lots of "whoa" stuff that was just absent from 2 and 3 completely (which were more conventional bad storytelling with lots of trope overload missing from The Matrix).

There’s a book on Amazon which is supposed to be the story/screenplay but is mostly court documents (?!). The reviews are pretty funny, but don’t really go into detail on the story

1 year later
#663 4 years ago

Vic, if you're still interested (from a YEAR ago, sorry!) - here's the link to that book I referenced re: the Matrix -

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Eye-Sophia-Stewart/dp/0978539648/ref=sr_1_1

This lady sued the Wachowski's and won her case (although I can not remember the details or if she ever collected anything) for plagiarizing the Matrix. You'd think William Gibson would have wanted to sue them as well, but he totally understands how art is created.

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think she ultimately lost on appeal or something because she just didn't show up in court. She's a strange person with a brilliant imagination. Shame the Wachowskis still insist on taking credit for mostly her work.

It does cross my mind that pretty much everything else they’ve ever done has been pretty crap.

I know people liked Sense8 on Netflix but they only started the original idea, I think others took over afterwards. Matrix 3 (I like 2), The Fountain, Speed Racer, and whatever that other movie was with the guy with the cat ears did not appeal to me AT ALL.

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I liked V for Vendetta. That's about it.
The ones you mentioned plus Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending (the cat ear one) were all shades of terrible. They are not talented anywhere near the level they get credit for, mostly because of the genius of that first Matrix movie they stole.

oh! I forgot about V for Vendetta. That was great. Speed Racer also wasn't really *that* bad, but it wasn't good. The others... yeah.

Read a little bit more about the lady who wrote that "Third Eye" story - starting to look a little bit like she's a huckster. There's a lengthy post about her on Snopes. But there are certainly plenty of other clear influences onthe Matrix - Gibson's Neuromancer, Ghost in the Shell, Grant Morrison's The Invisibles...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-watch-hbos-westworld?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.