hitler15 (resized).jpg
westworld (resized).png
william-medium_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U (resized).jpg
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
1445207270295 (resized).jpg
gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg
Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg
tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg
There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 16.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

without revealing any spoilers, was the boy that anthony hopkin's character taking a stoll with in last night's episode, a host or a real person? initially, I was thinking he was the son of a guest, but at the end I'm thinking just another robot

Host. He responded to commands like the other hosts did. He was also in episode 1 briefly.

#152 7 years ago

yeah, that was my impression at the end of their conversation when hopkin's character told him you won't be coming back here anymore

#153 7 years ago

Very much enjoyed last night's episode. Seemed to me that this episode was a bit more focused on developing some of the story lines versus trying to get a gazillion story lines in the first episode. Glad I watched it instead of the debate!

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

without revealing any spoilers

Too late. Drinks are on you at Expo, Blabbermouth.

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Very much enjoyed last night's episode. Seemed to me that this episode was a bit more focused on developing some of the story lines versus trying to get a gazillion story lines in the first episode.

Yep, I saw it as laying some more ground work down for the plot threads, including some world building, and fleshing out the characters some more. Not as exciting as ep1, but still a good watch.

#156 7 years ago

I think the second episode was very effective as well, showing the potential this show has going forward. Has me hooked now..

#157 7 years ago

Just like Game of Thrones; I'm left with more questions about an intriguing world. I'm looking forward to discovering what's in store. HBO has done well with this one so far. I like that the information isn't spoon fed to the audience, you have to pay attention and figure it out as the story unfolds.

#158 7 years ago

I'm hooked too. Can tell I'm going to need to go back and watch previous episodes to capture as a much as I can.

Here's something that I'm intrigued by: does anyone else think the number of times the word "f*ck" is used is a bit exorbitant? I've got a bad potty mouth, but damn! Not offended in any way whatsoever...

+2 on Delores becoming the Gunslinger!!

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

does anyone else think the number of times the word "f*ck" is used is a bit exorbitant?

F*ck no!

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Just like Game of Thrones; I'm left with more questions about an intriguing world. I'm looking forward to discovering what's in store. HBO has done well with this one so far. I like that the information isn't spoon fed to the audience, you have to pay attention and figure it out as the story unfolds.

Still thinking the Ed Harris character is the gunslinger from the original. The girl host says "the maze is not for you" to him, and when he says he's "never going back" it's meant to imply to OUR reality, but actually talking about his home within the park/storage. Also the employees of the park say he "gets whatever he wants" meaning he may be a disruptor, set loose on the park to add an element of chaos to the pre-baked storylines they make for the guests.

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Does anyone else think the number of times the word "f*ck" is used is a bit exorbitant? I've got a bad potty mouth, but damn!

That's the problem with the debates.

#162 7 years ago

I agree with victor. we haven't seen ed harris' character kill a guest yet, but it's quite possible that he's been [affected] like the others that were upgraded (like delores) and is "aware" of not only what he is but what the park's caretakers [do] with the other hosts

maybe there's more that's happened that we just haven't seen when he was in for his last repair

#163 7 years ago

But clearly the park operators are aware of what Ed Harris's character is doing....not only aware but letting him go about it.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Still thinking the Ed Harris character is the gunslinger from the original

I agree. I also think he's gone rogue and wants to sneak back into the WW facility. Probably to kill his maker or blow the place up. I only watched the first episode but at the end they showed him carrying the scalp of the robot he destroyed in the cliffs. The underside of the scalp showed computer electronics in it. He could use that to trick the security system to get in undetected.

You guys are making it hard for me to stay away and binge watch the season later.

#165 7 years ago

Maybe Ed Harris' character is the opposite of what normally happens in Westworld. Humans pay to live the fantasy of going into Westworld, killing AI bots and living their fantasy out. Maybe Ed Harris is some type of AI Bot that has 'God mode' privileges for the past 30 years, like an Op or Moderator of Westworld, and is aware of 'reality' and wants to get access to it. Maybe this maze is a challenge that the creators are seeing if he can crack and make it to the real world...

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I also think he's gone rogue and wants to sneak back into the WW facility. Probably to kill his maker

That's never happened before.

Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpgBlade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's never happened before.

Yes but Ed Harris's character is doing it without Daryl Hannah.

gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpggallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg

#168 7 years ago

Disagree with Ed being the gunslinger.
Management would be eliminate him of he was and not let him carry on.
I think he's just their biggest customer and not evil at all he's just getting on with it; kind of like Bill Murray in groundhog day.
As far as the maze, that's what Anthony Hopkins character's been working on for a very long time, something original.
It's something he thinks guests would come back for, the subtleties, discovering things no other customers have discovered before.
An end to the game so to speak, and the reward at least for Ed would be to stay there forever.

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes but Ed Harris's character is doing it without Daryl Hannah.

Give it time.

#170 7 years ago

Harris also says: "In a sense, I was born here." I wonder what that is about.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Exactly, he's probably an AI bot but with god/boss-like code.. he's the grim reaper of other AI bots. I would compare him to a Lyman coded pin, and the rest of the AI bots are like Dwight code

#172 7 years ago

Chestnut - an old joke or saying; something repeated to the point of staleness.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Disagree with Ed being the gunslinger.
Management would be eliminate him of he was and not let him carry on.

It's already been shown that management defers to Anthony Hopkins, allowing stuff they know is destructive to continue because he wants it. The gunslinger could be his Ars Magna.

#174 7 years ago

Here's my crazy fan theory: I think the Ed Harris character is Peter Martin (the guy who killed the gunslinger) from the movie. As part of the settlement from when things went south 30 years ago, he gets to just stay in Westworld and do as he likes. Gives some meaning to his statement about being born there (30 years ago), explains why he knows so much about every character in the world, and might be the reason security just lets him run rampant. Or we can just watch and see how it all unfolds...

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I think he's just talking about his true self. How in the real world he may be some quiet businessman but in Westworld, that's who he really is.

I'm kind of surprised a lot of you think Ed Harris is a robot. It would be a nice twist but it seems obvious to me he's just a high roller who has kept coming back to Westworld for 30 years. He knows the intricacies of the park and now is testing out this new game from Dr. Ford. The design on the scalp wasn't electronics but a map of the maze. I don't know what this maze is gonna look like but it surely will be more inventive than just a hedge maze from The Shining. I think when he stated that he was never going back he meant he has paid to stay in Westworld indefinitely.

Now he might not be playing Dr. Ford's new game. He might be doing something nefarious for someone else within the company.

I'm kind of curious if they are going to introduce additional worlds like the movie had with Roman World and Medieval World.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

I'm hooked too. Can tell I'm going to need to go back and watch previous episodes to capture as a much as I can.
Here's something that I'm intrigued by: does anyone else think the number of times the word "f*ck" is used is a bit exorbitant? I've got a bad potty mouth, but damn! Not offended in any way whatsoever...
+2 on Delores becoming the Gunslinger!!

Have you watched an HBO show before? Most all of them are this way. I'm not much of a speaker of colorful language but it's never bothered me in movies or shows. I only ever notice it when it's so overused to almost be comical. Deadwood was a good one for that.

#177 7 years ago

Still mixed, find myself looking to find something else to do as it seems too disjointed.

#178 7 years ago

Just watched episode 2.....intriguing. I kept hearing Deckard's voice from Blade Runner..."memories, you're talking about memories"

Im hooked just to figure out who Ed Harris's character is......

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Have you watched an HBO show before?

Nope. To be 100% honest, we added HBO just to be able to watch this particular show! Crazy, but I was very intrigued, and so far, no regrets...

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Host. He responded to commands like the other hosts did. He was also in episode 1 briefly.

I believe the boy is Anthony Hopkins' creation of himself as a child.

#181 7 years ago

Seems like the biggest question is in regards to Ed Harris's character. Is he a host or a guest? Time will tell. The smoking woman mentioned that the corporation has their own agenda; I think this might be where his puzzle piece fits in.

#182 7 years ago

Okay so I am really digging WW and I am also a big fan of Prometheus. I can totally see the Weiland Corporation owning WW. That would be the ultimate of putting all of planet Earth's puzzle pieces together.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from Iaintnobodydork:

Okay so I am really digging WW and I am also a big fan of Prometheus. I can totally see the Weiland Corporation owning WW. That would be the ultimate of putting all of planet Earth's puzzle pieces together.

Seems more like a Yutani Kabushiki-gaisha venture to me.

#184 7 years ago

I've never seen the original Westworld, so the HBO show is my first exposure to the concept. Seems very cool so far.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've never seen the original Westworld

Recommend you watch it for reference and continuity. You'll enjoy it even more.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from pigeonfarmboy:

I believe the boy is Anthony Hopkins' creation of himself as a child.

That was my understanding as well. When they first meet they share a common story about their father or something along those lines, made me think right away that this was modeled after himself.

I don't think Ed Harris is an android, they are throwing some clues to make you perhaps give the impression, but it does not really fit. I think he is a crazy wealthy long time customer who is playing the meta-game. This episode one of the employees even mentions that he is a customer who is going a little overboard and asks if they should slow him down.

By the way; that poor prospector! Anyone who has ever played a MMPOG will probably have a solid reaction to him!

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Seems like the biggest question is in regards to Ed Harris's character. Is he a host or a guest?

So I admit I was really drunk when I watched the 2nd episode, but..... didn't I see him get shot multiple times with no effect? Seems like that points to him being a host.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Seems like that points to him being a host.

Hosts get shot and die all the time.
Guests do not.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

So I admit I was really drunk when I watched the 2nd episode, but..... didn't I see him get shot multiple times with no effect? Seems like that points to him being a host.

If you watch the movie they tell you that androids cannot harm living people. So Ed Harris got shot but the bullets turned to dust. This is a deviation from the movie but I'm sure they'll explain later on that the bullets fall apart as a safety measure. In the first episode you see Teddy shoot Ed Harris and the bullets turn to dust but when Ed Harris puts Teddy's gun to his forehead and tells him to pull the trigger, he can't. Pulling the trigger in that instance probably would have caused harm to Ed Harris and so Teddy was unable. That's why it was a big deal at the end of the first episode to see Delores kill that fly because she is not supposed to be able to harm a living thing.

#190 7 years ago

One way or the other...we're giving them plenty cool ideas!

#191 7 years ago

a

Quoted from schwarz:

Hosts get shot and die all the time.
Guests do not.

In the original movie some guests are killed. Also, as a rouge android he could have found a way to defeat the West World mechanisms.

I love shows that keep us all guessing.

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In the original movie some guests are killed.

Guests only got killed when something went wrong and the robots started killing. So far no guests have been killed yet in the show.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In the original movie some guests are killed. Also, as a rouge android he could have found a way to defeat the West World mechanisms.

Somebody better tell this guy, quick!
Damn those rouge androids.

1445207270295 (resized).jpg1445207270295 (resized).jpg

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Guests only got killed when something went wrong and the robots started killing. So far no guests have been killed yet in the show.

So you and I are in agreement. Yes? The show is based from the original movie.

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

So you and I are in agreement. Yes?

Not sure if I agree with this yet.
Management seems to have more of a handle on the situation than they did in the movie.
But it is early...

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

So you and I are in agreement. Yes? The show is based from the original movie.

I do think it would be awesome and hope they do it. It would be cool if we eventually see The Gunslinger/Yul Brynner character. But I also know how execs and filmmakers want to make something their own without giving any credit to previous incarnations. We'll see. This show is in a genre I didn't know was one of my favorites, the western sci-fi.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

But I also know how execs and filmmakers want to make something their own without giving any credit to previous incarnations.

I agree with your general comment but will differ in a friendly way with what I have quoted.

One of my pet Hollywood peeves is the constant rehash of product. Different curtains but same window.
Example: The Omega Man v I Am Legend

Another example, the movie Avatar which I hated because it was so predictable. Bad guy turns good guy, gets the girl in the end. How many times have we seen that story line.

Gerrrr... I like to be surprised.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I agree with your general comment but will differ in a friendly way with what I have quoted.
One of my pet Hollywood peeves is the constant rehash of product. Different curtains but same window.
Example: The Omega Man v I Am Legend
Another example, the movie Avatar which I hated because it was so predictable. Bad guy turns good guy, gets the girl in the end. How many times have we seen that story line.
Gerrrr... I like to be surprised.

I don't think we differed at all. You listed movies that were similar and therefore predictable but had different names. That's something that bothers me as well. More examples are Jurassic World and Force Awakens. Similar to previous movies but tried to act like they were different.

That's a little different than what I was thinking with my statement. Ghostbusters 2016 was what crept into my mind. They had the opportunity to tie it into the previous movies but because of ego or whatever they wanted to make their own thing separate from the previous movies.

I'm hoping Westworld the show is an expansion and continuation of Westworld the movie rather than a remake and erasure of what came before. An example is Mad Max Fury Road which doesn't state if it's a remake or continuation but provides new locales not seen before and new characters to make it feel like a continuation of the world previously seen.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Ghostbusters 2016 was what crept into my mind. They had the opportunity to tie it into the previous movies but because of ego or whatever they wanted to make their own thing separate from the previous movies.

They tried to make a part 3 for years but Bill Murray wanted nothing to do with it. After Landis died all hope was gone of the original cast coming back but Murray was willing to do a cameo as a different character. I thought it all worked out, that was the problem with Part 2, the fun was the Ghostbusters learning the ropes and the public slowly coming to believe them. Where do you go when you have saved the world? According to part two it is working children's birthday parties.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm hoping Westworld the show is an expansion and continuation of Westworld the movie rather than a remake and erasure of what came before. An example is Mad Max Fury Road which doesn't state if it's a remake or continuation but provides new locales not seen before and new characters to make it feel like a continuation of the world previously seen.

The producers have said that it is not a continuation of the movies but they have thrown some Easter eggs into the show for fans that are being taken as hints. Then again, who knows, maybe they are saying one thing to surprise us with the obvious. Remember Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness? Could be that all over again.

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-watch-hbos-westworld/page/4?hl=pigeonfarmboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.