hitler15 (resized).jpg
westworld (resized).png
william-medium_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U (resized).jpg
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
1445207270295 (resized).jpg
gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg
Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg
tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg
There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.
#101 7 years ago

I saw it in a theatre that had a bar. it was a double feature with ralph bakshi's "wizards"
good times

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nah, I went with a buddy. We won tickets off the radio and the theatre manager didn't seem to mind we were underage and let us in anyway.

My dad liked to take my brother and I to Sci Fi movies. And we still had two drive-in movie theaters in Bridgeport Connecticut back then so that was a real treat. He used it as an excuse to get us to wash and vacuum the car.

How about when the disaster movies were big and the theater got Sensurround speakers for movies like Earthquake and Midway.

(man did this thread go sideways. But it is fun.)

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I saw it in a theatre that had a bar. it was a double feature with ralph bakshi's "wizards"
good times

Wizards was cool. It had the whole Vaughn Bodē - Cheech Wizard and Junkwaffle comic style.

Cheech (resized).jpgCheech (resized).jpg

Junkwaffle (resized).jpgJunkwaffle (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago

A lot of sub plots going on in the pilot episode. I've seen worse Sif Fi original productions. Give it some time to stregthen character developments.Hmmmm...I smell a Pinball machine somewhere from this...

#105 7 years ago

I'd just like to say that Evan Rachel Wood, playing Dolores Abernathy, is REALLY beautiful!

That is all.

#106 7 years ago

Wizards was the perfect stoner movie from the 70s. First time I saw it was the first of a double feature with the Song Remains the Same, so we were already geared up for it when we got there. Must have seen it five times before I could remember any of the plot, but I knew I liked it.

As far as Logans Run, Farrah Fawcett was the sex symbol of the 70s, but after seeing that movie it was Jenny Agutter I thought about.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

How about when the disaster movies were big and the theater got Sensurround speakers for movies like Earthquake and Midway.

Earthquake with Victoria Principal? Heck ya!

#108 7 years ago

The 70s were a great time for movies. When the biggest stars in Hollywood took any roles they could get. And liked it!

the-towering-inferno-movie-poster (resized).jpgthe-towering-inferno-movie-poster (resized).jpg

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

but after seeing that movie it was Jenny Agutter I thought about.

Keep you hands where we can see them.

#110 7 years ago

I always liked that Towering Inferno poster with everyone's description. Robert Vaughn's face is funny.

In the late 90s when I was a still in school, we got satellite which was a big deal in the country where there is no cable. I remember watching many disaster movies on DirecTV PPV. Volcano, Dante's Peak, Independance Day, The Perfect Storm, Armageddon, Twister, Apollo 13. It was a resurgence of the disaster movie from the 70s.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The problem with this kind of rehash is you are replacing legendary characters of yesterday with actors of today.

I get the feeling this is more of a sequel set 30 years from the original Westworld. I watched the pilot and it seems interesting, but agree with you. Noone of the characters could hold Yul Brynner's jock strap. So, I am curious to see who the bad guy turns out to be. Ed Harris seemed like a sociopath, but human.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Noone of the characters could hold Yul Brynner's jock strap.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The 70s were a great time for movies. When the biggest stars in Hollywood took any roles they could get. And liked it!

Holy crap that had everyone except Ernest Borgnine. I thought he was in everything. And don't leave out The Posiden Adventure for a disaster classic.

Posiden (resized).jpgPosiden (resized).jpg

#114 7 years ago

Poseiden Adventure is pretty much the one that started it all.

Oh wasn't it a great time to be growing up!

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Poseiden Adventure is pretty much the one that started it all.
Oh wasn't it a great time to be growing up!

Airport was the one that started the disaster movie run. It was a comparatively small "disaster" movie in scope and budget, but it's the one that started the run of them in the 1970s where each one had to be bigger than the last.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Airport was the one that started the disaster movie run.

Almost forgot about that one. Another great movie with many sequels.

#117 7 years ago

meteor_belgian (resized).jpgmeteor_belgian (resized).jpg

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Almost forgot about that one. Another great movie with many sequels.

So many sequels they spawned the Airplane! parodies.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Airport was the one that started the disaster movie run. It was a comparatively small "disaster" movie in scope and budget, but it's the one that started the run of them in the 1970s where each one had to be bigger than the last.

The other day I caught a movie called Crash Landing on TCM. It's supposed to be an early disaster movie from '58. It was pretty interesting but I had to laugh at the stock footage used for the plane shots. I kept looking at Nancy Davis thinking she looked familiar. It wasn't until the host came on after the movie ended that I realized who she was. The poster even does the descriptions for the characters like The Towering Inferno poster.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The other day I caught a movie called Crash Landing on TCM. It's supposed to be an early disaster movie from '58.

I saw that one. Great movie!

I've been watching a lot of those before my time movies on Turner lately. One that really must have made people think is this cold war nuclear disaster movie starring Henry Fonda.

FAILSAFE1SHHRws (resized).jpgFAILSAFE1SHHRws (resized).jpg

#121 7 years ago

Just watched the episode. I think this show has a ton of potential. Anyone notice the piano played Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden? Also, played Painted Black by the Rolling Stones?

#122 7 years ago

Qinhave not started to but was planning on it, is it worth it? Just starting watching the Quarry show on Cinemax as well.

#123 7 years ago

I like to wait for an entire season of a show to run then watch them all at once, granted I did catch the first episode and while a little slow paced seems like there's great potential there.

#124 7 years ago

Apparently, the second episode "Chestnut" is now available for early viewing on demand.

#125 7 years ago

I enjoyed the first episode but was not blown away but reading the discussion boards has given me a better understanding of the episode and a lot of the clues and easter eggs with in it and now I am more excited about the series. I am SO thankful that HBO does not do the Netflix model of dumping all the episodes at once, it is great to read the speculation posts with everyone on the same episode and no spoilers.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I am SO thankful that HBO does not do the Netflix model of dumping all the episodes at once, it is great to read the speculation posts with everyone on the same episode and no spoilers.

I actually like having all the episodes released at once, so I can watch when it fits my schedule and not have to wait around for a full week to get to the next episode, especially if there is a cliffhanger.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I actually like having all the episodes released at once, so I can watch when it fits my schedule and not have to wait around for a full week to get to the next episode, especially if there is a cliffhanger.

I agree in some cases regarding cliffhangers. I feel there are varying degrees to that, but I feel that most of the HBO content I watch doesn't "cliffhang the shit outta" me. Where as the network shows like Walking Dead do.

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

But aren't cliffhangers the best? To anticipate and think about the different possible outcomes for a few days? To speculate with friends about what could happen? To discuss it the following day?

Or maybe I am just too old school, lol. Also I hate the people who have time to binge watch a show and then talk about it and have them go out of their way trying not to spoil it. "What episode are you on? Oh, that is the one where she comes back to life right? Oh, she's still dead? Forget I said anything!" or the ever popular "I don't want to spoil anything but wait until episode 7 when the shit really hits the fan! WOW!"

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

and not have to wait around for a full week to get to the next episode, especially if there is a cliffhanger.

I've begun many mornings with sleep deprivation.

#130 7 years ago

Try Skyjacked and Colossus: The Forbin Project
oh and Coma!

#131 7 years ago

Looking forward to Ep2 this weekend...!

To further help derail the thread - Yul Brynner in The King and I! Awesome!

#132 7 years ago

Did anyone else notice that the horse that was in for repairs in the original, is being rode on the main street of the HBO?

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Looking forward to Ep2 this weekend...!
To further help derail the thread - Yul Brynner in The King and I! Awesome!

Episode 2 is already out on HBO Go and HBO Now. Just released today.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did anyone else notice that the horse that was in for repairs in the original, is being rode on the main street of the HBO?

If they link the show to the original movie I will be impressed. Even though the movie is very good it doesn't get the love it deserves and I could see some show runner not wanting to connect to some "old and outdated" movie.

I think I might go back and watch the original now.

#135 7 years ago

Watched episode one last night. I liked it. Love the actors and the way the hosts evolve and change. Didn't floor me, but I think it's gonna be good. When I first saw the trailer a while back I thought it looked like it would be picking up on a lot of what the newer Battlestar Galactica was dealing with.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

If they link the show to the original movie I will be impressed.

The "Gunslinger" from the movie is referenced in the HBO series as "The Man in Black "; and one of the characters says something about nothing going wrong, at least since he got there, so it could be that the HBO is set 40 years into the future from the original Delos theme park.

#137 7 years ago

Wow great first episode. Music was pretty good. I like the cover of the Rolling Stones song and it's always great to hear American Recordings Johnny Cash.

I love movies/shows that reference their history before we got to watch. One of the most intriguing things for me is when they reference the many roles the androids got to play. So fun

Theories I have:
Ed Harris is not an android. I don't think he's playing Yul Brunner's character because he's not an android. The androids can't kill him and he says he's been coming there for 30 years.

Dolores is sentient. She's playing along with the staff so they won't decommission her but I think she's knowledgeable of what her world is and her role in it. I wonder if she will play the Yul Brunner role later on. What I mean is she will be the android that goes rogue.

There are androids working among the staff. The show is giving me Blade Runner vibes where I'm questioning if anyone is a real person.

#138 7 years ago

The original is still such a great movie, but we need to be honest and realize it's because of Yul's performance. He barely has any lines, but makes such an impact.

The first episode of the new series was interesting, but I don't see how this story can improve with longer air time. Time will tell.

#139 7 years ago

After watching the second episode, I'm getting the feeling Anthony Hopkins is gonna have the same fate as Sean Bean from GOT.

#140 7 years ago

I just found out Vinyl got cancelled because they did not know where elese to take the show, go figure.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

set 40 years into the future from the original Delos theme park.

Vid, wasn't it already in the future?

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Vid, wasn't it already in the future?

I know Futureworld was in the future.

tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpgtumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I just found out Vinyl got cancelled because they did not know where elese to take the show, go figure.

I think it was cancelled primarily because it was hugely expensive and no one was watching it.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think it was cancelled primarily because it was hugely expensive and no one was watching it.

Olivia Wilde gets nekkid and I still couldn't bother to watch.

#146 7 years ago

I watched that one.

#147 7 years ago

I'll probably catch it eventually, but I can't keep up with all the quality TV out there.

#148 7 years ago

Westworld original movie is on Sci-Fi 10pm CST tonight (10/816).

#149 7 years ago

Just a bump in case anyone wants to catch (or DVR) the original movie. Starts in five on SciFi!

#150 7 years ago

without revealing any spoilers, was the boy that anthony hopkin's character taking a stoll with in last night's episode, a host or a real person? initially, I was thinking he was the son of a guest, but at the end I'm thinking just another robot

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-watch-hbos-westworld/page/3?hl=dookski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.