hitler15 (resized).jpg
westworld (resized).png
william-medium_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U (resized).jpg
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
1445207270295 (resized).jpg
gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg
Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg
tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg
There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.
#651 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wasn’t able to find any more detail of specifics on the lawsuit and the story similarities - other than that link and the snopes article that says she never actually got a dime or judgment against the wachowskis. Based on how awful 2 and 3 were (well half of 2 isn’t bad), I wouldn’t be surprised if they did actually lift it. Lol she also tried to sue Cameron regarding Terminatoe, when HE actually had to pay Harlan Ellison for similarities with 2 of his stories.
Anyway, sorry, Westworld.. hope season 3 is better

Yeah, I don't have links or anything, I read it in real time when it was happening. I had the impression then (and now) that she had terrible representation and was flaky, so she would miss court dates, etc, and the judge(s) just got tired of dealing with her, plus the movie side had massive financial resources. She had a website where she posted some of the stuff and it was WAY out there, but you could see stuff that made it into the Matrix that was pretty revolutionary for a movie like that. Lots of "whoa" stuff that was just absent from 2 and 3 completely (which were more conventional bad storytelling with lots of trope overload missing from The Matrix).

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I don't have links or anything, I read it in real time when it was happening. I had the impression then (and now) that she had terrible representation and was flaky, so she would miss court dates, etc, and the judge(s) just got tired of dealing with her, plus the movie side had massive financial resources. She had a website where she posted some of the stuff and it was WAY out there, but you could see stuff that made it into the Matrix that was pretty revolutionary for a movie like that. Lots of "whoa" stuff that was just absent from 2 and 3 completely (which were more conventional bad storytelling with lots of trope overload missing from The Matrix).

There’s a book on Amazon which is supposed to be the story/screenplay but is mostly court documents (?!). The reviews are pretty funny, but don’t really go into detail on the story

#653 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There’s a book on Amazon which is supposed to be the story/screenplay but is mostly court documents (?!). The reviews are pretty funny, but don’t really go into detail on the story

What's the link to that? I might be interested!

#654 5 years ago

This show is just not that great. No way is it a GOT replacement, not even close.

I barely care what happens, and have fallen asleep often watching it.

The production value is sky high though, I'll still tune in to season 3.

#655 5 years ago

For me Westworld is a good GOT replacement. Nothing quite measures up to GOT, but when it's not airing, Westworld fits the bill nicely for me. It is hard to follow, though. I've watched the season 3 finale twice now and it's just starting to make sense. I'm glad somebody posted about the ending credits scene is WAY into the future, cause that part really boggled my mind.

#656 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't mind the time jumps, but this season did seem like they added some twists just to keep you confused. My biggest frustration is still Maeve's powers. She can freeze everyone, yet waits to do that until the last minute. She can communicate telepathically with hosts yet needs to run around looking for her daughter. Also the payoff for her story arc seemed pretty weak. I think we were supposed to care about the hosts reaching The Valley Beyond more then we did. Dolores' feelings on it may have had something to do with that, but even without her explanation it was just a weak payoff. Maybe too literal, I'm not sure. Besides here escape from The Mesa, I just didn't enjoy how they wrapped things up with Maeve and her daughter. I'm not ready to jump ship, like some here, I still think it's pretty damn good TV. I actually like western's though, so I hope were not done with Westworld. Seeing Dolores and Bernard in the modern world has much less appeal to me.

This is my big problem too. I hate when they give some character some big power, and then they forget to use it because they need to add drama. Bad writing.

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Nothing quite measures up to GOT

Well, I like Vikings and Black Sails.....

#658 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Well, I like Vikings and Black Sails.....

Vikings is awesome, but not quite GoT awesome.

1 year later
#659 4 years ago

New Season 3 trailer is up. Looks plenty confusing. Can't wait.

2 weeks later
#660 4 years ago

I was hoping to see ski races on March, Roman orgies and medieval tournaments ... still missed for this season

#661 4 years ago

I find it interesting how they are able to switch genres, however I miss to original WESTworld.

4 months later
#662 4 years ago

Season 3 launches March 15, 2020.

#663 4 years ago

Vic, if you're still interested (from a YEAR ago, sorry!) - here's the link to that book I referenced re: the Matrix -

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Eye-Sophia-Stewart/dp/0978539648/ref=sr_1_1

This lady sued the Wachowski's and won her case (although I can not remember the details or if she ever collected anything) for plagiarizing the Matrix. You'd think William Gibson would have wanted to sue them as well, but he totally understands how art is created.

#664 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Vic, if you're still interested (from a YEAR ago, sorry!) - here's the link to that book I referenced re: the Matrix -
amazon.com link »
This lady sued the Wachowski's and won her case (although I can not remember the details or if she ever collected anything) for plagiarizing the Matrix. You'd think William Gibson would have wanted to sue them as well, but he totally understands how art is created.

I think she ultimately lost on appeal or something because she just didn't show up in court. She's a strange person with a brilliant imagination. Shame the Wachowskis still insist on taking credit for mostly her work.

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think she ultimately lost on appeal or something because she just didn't show up in court. She's a strange person with a brilliant imagination. Shame the Wachowskis still insist on taking credit for mostly her work.

It does cross my mind that pretty much everything else they’ve ever done has been pretty crap.

I know people liked Sense8 on Netflix but they only started the original idea, I think others took over afterwards. Matrix 3 (I like 2), The Fountain, Speed Racer, and whatever that other movie was with the guy with the cat ears did not appeal to me AT ALL.

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It does cross my mind that pretty much everything else they’ve ever done has been pretty crap.
I know people liked Sense8 on Netflix but they only started the original idea, I think others took over afterwards. Matrix 3 (I like 2), The Fountain, Speed Racer, and whatever that other movie was with the guy with the cat ears did not appeal to me AT ALL.

I liked V for Vendetta. That's about it.

The ones you mentioned plus Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending (the cat ear one) were all shades of terrible. They are not talented anywhere near the level they get credit for, mostly because of the genius of that first Matrix movie they stole.

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I liked V for Vendetta. That's about it.
The ones you mentioned plus Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending (the cat ear one) were all shades of terrible. They are not talented anywhere near the level they get credit for, mostly because of the genius of that first Matrix movie they stole.

oh! I forgot about V for Vendetta. That was great. Speed Racer also wasn't really *that* bad, but it wasn't good. The others... yeah.

Read a little bit more about the lady who wrote that "Third Eye" story - starting to look a little bit like she's a huckster. There's a lengthy post about her on Snopes. But there are certainly plenty of other clear influences onthe Matrix - Gibson's Neuromancer, Ghost in the Shell, Grant Morrison's The Invisibles...

1 month later
#668 4 years ago

Season 3 Full trailer just dropped:

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Season 3 Full trailer just dropped

Looks good! I thought things were starting to drag on a bit towards the end of season 2 - looks like season 3 will pick up the pace.

#670 4 years ago

Beastmode!!! Marshawn Lynch in Westworld!

#671 4 years ago

..and Aaron Paul~!

3 weeks later
#672 4 years ago

I'm ready for Westworld. Bought $100 in HBO NOW credit, so I can watch it and all the other shows I missed out on.

#673 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I'm ready for Westworld. Bought $100 in HBO NOW credit, so I can watch it and all the other shows I missed out on.

Totally ready. I'm just hoping it isn't ultimately disappointing like Season 2.

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy preview Season 3:

Evan Rachel Wood / Aaron Paul fluffy Season 3 interview:

Season 3 Episode 1 spoiler-free review is up (it gets an 8/10):

#674 4 years ago

Season 2 was an utter mess. Hope this is better. I loved Season 1 but if this starts off bad, I am jumping ship. Too many other options out...

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

Season 2 was an utter mess. Hope this is better. I loved Season 1 but if this starts off bad, I am jumping ship. Too many other options out...

Agree. Season 2 was a disorganized mess, too many twists. Stopped caring.

#676 4 years ago

Well - anyone watch last night? I thought it was good - set up the characters in the 'new world' with each having a somewhat different objective. The cinematography and CGI work was impressive. I think I'll be a better season than season 2.

#677 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

The cinematography and CGI work was impressive.

yeah some big money. Some of those buildings were crazy impressive. That whole world that they built.

What's Aaron Paul's name in this show? I keep wanting to call him Jesse Pinkman.

#678 4 years ago

Visually stunning but overall I was not impressed...
I have a feeling it's another messed up story. Too bad but Westworld is about the west. The first season was so amazing down to the cool piano tunes. So far this has no sign of Westworld. Kind of reminds me of LOST. Maybe I just watch the first season again and pass on this.

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Well - anyone watch last night? I thought it was good - set up the characters in the 'new world' with each having a somewhat different objective. The cinematography and CGI work was impressive. I think I'll be a better season than season 2.

It was *okay*. At least the arc of the season seems to be clearly stated at the start. Hopefully that leads to a more simplified and satisfying season, but the after credits "War World" bit is like "WTH? I thought the parks were all shut down..." and makes me think Season 3 will be another muddled mess.

Quoted from frolic:

What's Aaron Paul's name in this show? I keep wanting to call him Jesse Pinkman.

Captain Cook.

2 weeks later
#680 4 years ago

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose interest in the show. Loved the first season, tolerated the second, and so far I'm just not all that interested in the third season. Machine versus machine, what's a simulation, etc.

#681 4 years ago

Yeah, I really liked the first season, but I struggled to get through season 2 and have zero interest in suffering through season 3. Too bad, as it started pretty good.

#682 4 years ago

Not loving this third season. The future settings are pretty spectacular but I'm feeling empty.

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Not loving this third season. The future settings are pretty spectacular but I'm feeling empty.

That's our feeling here, yes.

#684 4 years ago

It's a case where I think they would have been better off dropping the source material.

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose interest in the show. Loved the first season, tolerated the second, and so far I'm just not all that interested in the third season. Machine versus machine, what's a simulation, etc.

Yeah, last night's episode, especially, was a real tough slog. Don't care. It's like they took the Architect scene from the end of Matrix III and stretched it out. I don't want to hear talking and philosophical musings. I want action and cool man vs machine stuff. Less talking, more showing.

But I don't think we're gonna get that. L&J are smelling each other's farts and nodding agreeably at this point.

#686 4 years ago

My reaction as we go deeper and deeper into this season:

I’m not angry. I’m enraged.

#687 4 years ago

I miss most of the show being actually IN the park. The scenes so far, in season 3, are stretched out, and the "real world" seems really boring. I hope things pick up.

That big mech was cool though.

#688 4 years ago

Season 3.... Epic Fail.

I'm getting very close to dropping out. It's not the first time I show I really enjoyed went off the rails. Eventually instead of looking forward to the next episode, it becomes a chore to watch. But I wanted to give the season a few episodes before writing it off. But this Sunday it either .... Nope, literally I just decided while typing this. There isn't enough to keep me watching. Send this show to cold storage.

#689 4 years ago

I really enjoyed Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad. He is the most interesting person in season 3 for me.

#690 4 years ago

I gave this season a couple episodes and just removed it from dvr schedule. Too much thinking required on my part to even try and keep up. I like season 1.

#691 4 years ago

Still watching, still liking.

#692 4 years ago

I guess I am not expecting too much, but so far it’s been enjoyable. Not as good as season one, which is hard to replicate, but the action and visuals have kept me entertained. Maybe with the lockdown I am just more forgiving than most..

#693 4 years ago

Episode 4 makes it clear that they're totally doing Futureworld - the crappy sequel to the original Westworld where the plan was to replace key leaders with robots and take over the world. Except in the HBO version, the real world takes the place of the "Future" theme park.

1 week later
#694 4 years ago

Looks like this season is another loss. Episode 5 with the "themed" music trip was just dumb.

#695 4 years ago

Easily worst episode of the series.

#696 4 years ago

This show is going down fast. Season one was so cool and had the neat twist of running parallel time lines.

This one is lame.

#697 4 years ago

Even the execution of that "genre" drug was lame. At first it was cool to see Jesse's (I'm going to call him that) POV in noir, and the music kept cutting, and the b&w imagery, but then the music for the other genres kept playing, no matter if it was his pov or not.

I was hoping the drug was going to pay off in some really cool way, but it went... nowhere. It did nothing.

#698 4 years ago

I am going to agree with others. This season has been a let down.

#699 4 years ago

Yeah, the wife and I are about done. With Westworld, that is.

#700 4 years ago

I'm not disliking it enough to stop watching, but I miss the western/sci-fi mashup, non-linear timelines, and large cast.
Westworld>>Futureworld.

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-watch-hbos-westworld/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.