hitler15 (resized).jpg
westworld (resized).png
william-medium_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U (resized).jpg
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
1445207270295 (resized).jpg
gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg
Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg
tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.
#601 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

One point that theory makes is that Ford told Bernard they hadn't figured it out yet, so William being a host would be a surprise to Ford which would be a good twist. Up until now Ford seems to be omniscient, or he knows that William is the first new-gen host and the game is to get him out of the park.

I don't like the theory.. but can see how people have drawn it up.

It also plays into the 'give the host a mission... to teach them things' and his new story is about getting him 'out'

But Ford in this episode confused me...

What's with the 'shutdown' and then the network is back to normal?? Why give up that posture he had prior?
Wth is going on in that control room fight sequence? If the system is back online, why can't they control anything

And I don't like the story progression that Ford is now willing to get in Benard's head all the time through the network... yet he really had no way to guide Benard to go into the computer in the first place.. yet that was his planned moment? That didn't really work for me.

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And why some hosts die with almost nothing... while others take bullet after bullet and keep on ticking.

Not really out of the norm for Westworld. In the first episode they established that glitching hosts seemingly forget how to die.

westworld-trailer-01 (resized).jpgwestworld-trailer-01 (resized).jpg

#603 5 years ago

I'm just having to engage my Suspension of Disbelief more.

I still enjoy the show, but its like analyzing the science of a Zombie Apocalypse. Sometimes you just have to let it go.

#604 5 years ago

I'm just waiting for the fan edit that puts everything in sequential order after the fact

#605 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm just waiting for the fan edit that puts everything in sequential order after the fact

I think part of the fun is trying to piece things together. It's a show you need to digest and even discuss to really get the most out of it.

#606 5 years ago

Well, _that_ hour answered a lot of questions. One of the most riveting shows I've seen in a while.

#607 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Well, that_ hour answered a lot of questions. One of the most riveting shows I've seen in a while.

Watched it at 1.5x speed. That indian narrated SO SLOW.

Seemed kind of irresponsible to air an episode where about the first 2/3 of it was about the journey to realizing suicide was the answer to get to the "other side" to get to the right world with the people you love in light of the recent high-profile suicides this past week.

#608 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Watched it at 1.5x speed. That indian narrated SO SLOW.
Seemed kind of irresponsible to air an episode where about the first 2/3 of it was about the journey to realizing suicide was the answer to get to the "other side" to get to the right world with the people you love in light of the recent high-profile suicides this past week.

diden't some other hosts kill them self in season 1 to get into the control center?

and it's not really suicide in the context of the show unless new are new to the show must views should of picked that up some time ago.

#609 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

One of the most riveting shows I've seen in a while.

Man it put me to sleep. I have to go back and watch the last 1/3rd of the show tonight, I'm guessing I missed alot.

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Man it put me to sleep.

Same here. Dozed right out.

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Well, that_ hour answered a lot of questions. One of the most riveting shows I've seen in a while.

Best one yet. Really drove home the fact that the hosts really are all sentient beings - not just isolated to a few. Ford saw that and is giving them the freedom of choice and leaving is up to their own drive to find a way to live.

As for all you action junkies, wait until next week. The episodes alternate between 'story/character development' and 'action/cliffhanger'.

#612 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And I don't like the story progression that Ford is now willing to get in Benard's head all the time through the network... yet he really had no way to guide Benard to go into the computer in the first place.. yet that was his planned moment? That didn't really work for me.

Ford downloaded himself into Bernard's core before the cradle was destroyed. He's now using a host as a host.

So Bernard's the host with the most.

#613 5 years ago

I also really enjoyed the deep dive into the Ghost Nation. I don't mind a slow burn as long as it's good storytelling, and thus far Westworld has been "good storytelling". I mean this episode had ties way back to the second episode, where the Man In Black scalped the Indian card dealer to reveal The Maze. I read somewhere that they wanted to do more with that storyline, but the actor who played him passed away. It also had more obvious tiebacks, with Maeve and her daughter too, but I thought perhaps it was worth pointing that one out.

#614 5 years ago

Wow, super-dark penultimate episode this season. Almost too dark to enjoy. You could feel the tension with his daughter, and you knew she was a goner.

Teddy? At one time I might have cared, but once Delores made him into Teddynator this season, I was counting the minutes until he was gone.

#615 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Teddy? At one time I might have cared, but once Delores made him into Teddynator this season, I was counting the minutes until he was gone.

Is he really though? Remember Teddy was in the water with the rest of the hosts in episode 1of this season. Unless Dolores brings him to the water.

#616 5 years ago

Westworld is a good show. But one thing I don't like is that there are way to many monologues.

#617 5 years ago

Good so far. For me, a little too much to soon. I would have enjoyed a season or two with some more backstory on the characters. I think I’ll be less interested in the hosts outside the park if they go that way. There’s only so long that can murder every guest, security team and board member before I stop suspending disbelief that the outside world didn’t notice.

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Good so far. For me, a little too much to soon. I would have enjoyed a season or two with some more backstory on the characters. I think I’ll be less interested in the hosts outside the park if they go that way. There’s only so long that can murder every guest, security team and board member before I stop suspending disbelief that the outside world didn’t notice.

well we don't know that much about what the rest of the outside world is like.

#619 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Is he really though? Remember Teddy was in the water with the rest of the hosts in episode 1of this season. Unless Dolores brings him to the water.

Either that is part of the valley that fills up with water or she brings him back to die again. Don't care. I'm over Teddy and Dolores.

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

The plan is supposedly for 5 seasons, so this isn't even the halfway point. Season 1 was "The Maze", Season 2 is "The Door", then three more seasons...

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Westworld is a good show. But one thing I don't like is that there are way to many monologues.

It feels like there's been a LOT more exposition in Season 2, which is a failure of storytelling - a shortcut. SHOW me, don't TELL me. I wonder if they brought on more writers to help or or just being too ambitious with the 5 seasons they have so they're moving faster and using exposition to speed things up to make sure they get where they're going. Whatever the reason, I noticed too, and I don't much like it.

#622 5 years ago

So the finale was a weird mix of satisfying bits and still WAY TOO MUCH exposition.

I do not like the new Delores 2.0 disguise at all, as I don't like the swagger and attitude of the character she took over. They also sacrificed the scenario writer for no reason other than to parody a scenario writer's version of a heroic moment. I dunno. Season 1 ended on a high where I HAD to see more. After Season 2's ending, I'm more ambivalent about Season 3. I'm not at "I could take it or leave it" - yet - but I'm nowhere near as anxious to see Season 3 as I was for Season 2. Bring on Game of Thrones.

#623 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

do not like the new Delores 2.0 disguise at all, as I don't like the swagger and attitude of the character she took over.

Didn't she print a new Dolores shell at the end? Just like she printed a new Bernard shell.

#624 5 years ago

There was a final scene after the credits. (spoilers)

So it seems The Man is Black's quest was ultimately to delete the servers to insure he doesn't come back after death. Looks like he failed.

#625 5 years ago

What a bunch of baloney that was.

This is where I get off the train.

#626 5 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

What a bunch of baloney that was.
This is where I get off the train.

Hey! Wait, you forgot your purse!

#627 5 years ago

I got confused....Ill watch last night again....
Does anyone feel like sharing WTF happened last night?

#629 5 years ago

Thanks....That is a mouthful!

Summed up in one line:

"Because if there's one thing Westworld won't give us, it's a clear answer on what is "real."

#630 5 years ago

Haven't watched Season 2 yet. Will probably catch up next month when I'm not so busy.

But it sounds like this show is just tossing ideas around in an attempt to stretch out the seasons (not the story) as long as possible because Game of Thrones is ending.

As someone who stuck through Lost to the very end, I don't have high hopes for Westworld.

#631 5 years ago

Wow, that is the best write-up I've seen. I do wish the writers would have made the Man In Black's motives more clear in the penultimate episode. I actually liked that episode less after watching the finale. At that point, I thought he felt his true self was in the park and his motive was to relive as a younger version of himself; perhaps to try to write some of the wrongs he had done. We now understand his motive throughout Season 2, was to destroy any backup copies of himself...something he clearly failed in doing. I think perhaps there were two drives for doing this: 1) He doesn't fully accept his own coding, "appeal the verdict". Again, I thought that perhaps that could have been why he wanted to get a redo as a host. 2) He didn't want to suffer immorality. Not only did he not want to suffer the fate of James Delos, but he's always maintained that he wants "real stakes". This applies to himself. The irony is that in his quest to gain something real, he's seemingly driving away everything that was real in his life.

PS: I'm still not convinced he's a host in the post-credit scene. This episode spent quite a bit of time talking about how there was actually very little difference between humans and hosts. I think it will be something like that.

#632 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Haven't watched Season 2 yet. Will probably catch up next month when I'm not so busy.
But it sounds like this show is just tossing ideas around in an attempt to stretch out the seasons (not the story) as long as possible because Game of Thrones is ending.
As someone who stuck through Lost to the very end, I don't have high hopes for Westworld.

I think there is some good inspiration for Westworld from today's issues:

-"You" are the product, even if you don't understand that and it seems they made it for you (ie: Facebook)
-Privacy Policy (or lack of) to the nth degree
-Fear of AI killing its master

So, no I don't see it as them throwing stuff at the wall. It has to be constructed with a sense of mystery for the viewer, so everything is not clear, but I think there are clear themes and story telling happening.

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think there is some good inspiration for Westworld from today's issues:
-"You" are the product, even if you don't understand that and it seems they made it for you (ie: Facebook)
-Privacy Policy (or lack of) to the nth degree
-Fear of AI killing its master
So, no I don't see it as them throwing stuff at the wall. It has to be constructed with a sense of mystery for the viewer, so everything is not clear, but I think there are clear themes and story telling happening.

Agree...Lots of Moral and Matrix type issues, relative to today, and the future.....
Ive always wanted to believe in Cryo-refrigeration, but than another part says do I want to Live forever?
So Im stuck somewhere around Reincarnation......

#634 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Nah it's not stretching out to fill... It's just the gimmick of multiple timelines was taken too far (IMO). It's like the suprise being revealed.. and then they just keep rehashing it. Plus, its gotten too complicated with twists where everything is up in the air... then you add in the collapse of belivability as they have completely incompetent army forces act like the 3 stooges in multiple timelines... and the 'tech' in the last 3rd of the season doesn't get sci-fi... it just gets 'anything goes'

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Didn't she print a new Dolores shell at the end? Just like she printed a new Bernard shell.

I'm not convinced that didn't happen in another time jump, which is the problem with massively over-using the device in Season 2.

#636 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not convinced that didn't happen in another time jump, which is the problem with massively over-using the device in Season 2.

I couldn't agree more with that, it was used so much I'm just straight up confused at this point.

#637 5 years ago

I don't mind the time jumps, but this season did seem like they added some twists just to keep you confused. My biggest frustration is still Maeve's powers. She can freeze everyone, yet waits to do that until the last minute. She can communicate telepathically with hosts yet needs to run around looking for her daughter. Also the payoff for her story arc seemed pretty weak. I think we were supposed to care about the hosts reaching The Valley Beyond more then we did. Dolores' feelings on it may have had something to do with that, but even without her explanation it was just a weak payoff. Maybe too literal, I'm not sure. Besides here escape from The Mesa, I just didn't enjoy how they wrapped things up with Maeve and her daughter. I'm not ready to jump ship, like some here, I still think it's pretty damn good TV. I actually like western's though, so I hope were not done with Westworld. Seeing Dolores and Bernard in the modern world has much less appeal to me.

#638 5 years ago

Maive isn't done. The 2 techs will salvage her.

I love the show, but so often I feel like I need to get to the end to understand what I've been watching. This time I'm still not sure. I love Nolan movies, they work really well at piecing things together in the end, but I'm not convinced it works so well in an episodic series.

#639 5 years ago

Yeah I agree that Maeve isn't done, but I think the storyline with her daughter may be. That was the arc I was disapointed in the resolution. I mean, I felt more for the other Maeve and her story was told in a single episode. Anyway, now Westworld Maeve will need a new driving motivation.

#640 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Agree...Lots of Moral and Matrix type issues, relative to today, and the future.....
Ive always wanted to believe in Cryo-refrigeration, but than another part says do I want to Live forever?
So Im stuck somewhere around Reincarnation......

Just passengers my friend...

#641 5 years ago

I don’t want to watch the Matrix again. It got bad really fast after the first movie.

I don’t like the direction this is heading and reading the creators interview recently didn’t improve my hopes.

It’s sad to see it go bad so early. It could be great.

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't mind the time jumps, but this season did seem like they added some twists just to keep you confused. My biggest frustration is still Maeve's powers. She can freeze everyone, yet waits to do that until the last minute. She can communicate telepathically with hosts yet needs to run around looking for her daughter. Also the payoff for her story arc seemed pretty weak. I think we were supposed to care about the hosts reaching The Valley Beyond more then we did. Dolores' feelings on it may have had something to do with that, but even without her explanation it was just a weak payoff. Maybe too literal, I'm not sure. Besides here escape from The Mesa, I just didn't enjoy how they wrapped things up with Maeve and her daughter. I'm not ready to jump ship, like some here, I still think it's pretty damn good TV. I actually like western's though, so I hope were not done with Westworld. Seeing Dolores and Bernard in the modern world has much less appeal to me.

She had to be close to use those skills or rather bugs on other hosts. Same as the hacked Clementine had to be close to infect them.

Remember Delores had 5? cores in her purse at the end. One was Bernard and one was whoever was in the Charlotte host in that scene. I'm guessing Maeve, Teddy, and Hector might be the others.

#643 5 years ago

This is a QA from the creator on the explanation of the finale and talk of season 3.

She says the Man in Black credits scene is in the "far far future"....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/westworld-season-2-finale-explained-lisa-joy-season-3-1122744

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I don’t want to watch the Matrix again. It got bad really fast after the first movie.
I don’t like the direction this is heading and reading the creators interview recently didn’t improve my hopes.
It’s sad to see it go bad so early. It could be great.

It was clear that the original Matrix was not their original idea and when they tried to extend it into 2 and 3 without the chick they stole the original script from, it fell apart because it was not their story to tell. They only understood the superficial and couldn't extend it into two more stories. I really wish they had paid the original chick and enlisted her help in extending the world and stories.

#645 5 years ago

So who’s memory balls/brains or what ever they were was Dolores in Charlotte Hale costume carrying in her handbag and in the end when Bernard was brought back by Dolores Who’s brain was in Charlotte. It’s going to be interesting to see which hosts made it, and what will Bernard choose to be in the real world (finally free and conscious to choose his own hat)

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

So who’s memory balls/brains or what ever they were was Dolores in Charlotte Hale costume carrying in her handbag and in the end when Bernard was brought back by Dolores Who’s brain was in Charlotte. It’s going to be interesting to see which hosts made it, and what will Bernard choose to be in the real world (finally free and conscious to choose his own hat)

Dolores, Bernard...Ford? The other two? No idea.

#647 5 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Bernard, Maeve, Teddy, Hector, and ?

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It was clear that the original Matrix was not their original idea and when they tried to extend it into 2 and 3 without the chick they stole the original script from, it fell apart because it was not their story to tell. They only understood the superficial and couldn't extend it into two more stories. I really wish they had paid the original chick and enlisted her help in extending the world and stories.

Wait, what? What chick?

Nevermind, found it. http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/11/22/inside-the-billion-dollar-matrix-lawsuit-one-of-the-internets-most-pervasive-hoaxes/

looks like it's not really true

#649 5 years ago

There was precious little detail in that recent story. Around the time the lawsuit was originally a "thing" she was interviewed quite a bit, and it was pretty clear she was CRAZY, but she gave examples of similarities of her original story and The Matrix that were pretty convincing. I think her crazy is getting in the way of getting the resolution she deserves, but it's pretty clear from their body of work that the Wachowskis are pretty terrible writers, and The Matrix was from another universe (or another writer).

I think it's hilarious that some writer claims that 2 and 3 were stolen from him. If that really happened, I'd keep that quiet. Those movies sucked.

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There was precious little detail in that recent story. Around the time the lawsuit was originally a "thing" she was interviewed quite a bit, and it was pretty clear she was CRAZY, but she gave examples of similarities of her original story and The Matrix that were pretty convincing. I think her crazy is getting in the way of getting the resolution she deserves, but it's pretty clear from their body of work that the Wachowskis are pretty terrible writers, and The Matrix was from another universe (or another writer).
I think it's hilarious that some writer claims that 2 and 3 were stolen from him. If that really happened, I'd keep that quiet. Those movies sucked.

I wasn’t able to find any more detail of specifics on the lawsuit and the story similarities - other than that link and the snopes article that says she never actually got a dime or judgment against the wachowskis. Based on how awful 2 and 3 were (well half of 2 isn’t bad), I wouldn’t be surprised if they did actually lift it. Lol she also tried to sue Cameron regarding Terminatoe, when HE actually had to pay Harlan Ellison for similarities with 2 of his stories.

Anyway, sorry, Westworld.. hope season 3 is better

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-watch-hbos-westworld/page/13?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.