hitler15 (resized).jpg
westworld (resized).png
william-medium_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U (resized).jpg
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
1445207270295 (resized).jpg
gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg
Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg
tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg
There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 16.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You mean flashbacks?

I guess. All the jumping around just annoys me.

Also, can anyone explain why the guests can't be killed? Why can't they shoot each other? The guns are supposed to be real, right?

#502 7 years ago

I assumed they were smart bullets of some sort that disintegrated when hitting a guest.

[edit]: I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/59h9ed/how_bullets_in_westworld_work/

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I assumed they were smart bullets of some sort that disintegrated when hitting a guest.
[edit]: I found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/59h9ed/how_bullets_in_westworld_work/

In the original movie the guns had a sensor that would prevent firing if pointed at a guest. Since we have seen guests get hit and its more like a stun/hard punch I'm also subscribed to the smart bullet therory. Given their technology level thats more than reasonable.

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I guess. All the jumping around just annoys me.

I like it to a point. Its a great way to reveal the back story without giving away that your doing it (at least immediately).

I do agree that they used it to excess at points though. However I think the intent of that was to show things from a hosts perspective in that with their perfect memory that allows them to literally re-experience memories, without gaining conciousness they literally are unable to distinguish past from present.

I think (and hope) that with conciousness gained, some of that jumping will be reduced.

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Or maybe WE are the robots. This has all happened before.

A BSG fan I see. That was a great show.

#506 7 years ago

I loved it.

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I think the intent of that was to show things from a hosts perspective in that with their perfect memory that allows them to literally re-experience memories, without gaining conciousness they literally are unable to distinguish past from present.

This ^^^^

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I'm wondering if Ford isn't a copy, perhaps he's Arnold's first great success. He was awakened by Arnolds death and that grief and now wants to do the same for Bernard.

Wow. I like this. Makes sense to me, it explains how ford could connect with he hosts subconsciously. Just like how Maeve could get the hosts to rewrite their loop on the fly.

#509 7 years ago

How long would a theme park stay open after a significant number of humans were killed?

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

How long would a theme park stay open after a significant number of humans were killed?

Six Flags has the answer to that, I'm sure. I think they're up to two dozen so far across their parks.

#511 7 years ago

This is the main line that was crossed in the story. Future, Sci-Fi etc are all good, but killing people always draws attention. Slaughtering the founder and a whole party of VIPs would end it.

That being said, I'm certainly willing to give season 2 chance. I don't know much about television production, but I don't like the modern method of less episodes per season, half seasons and long breaks between smaller seasons. What has changed?

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

. I don't know much about television production, but I don't like the modern method of less episodes per season, half seasons and long breaks between smaller seasons. What has changed?

Less episodes, but larger budget so that each episode has the production value of a mini movie.

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Less episodes, but larger budget so that each episode has the production value of a mini movie.

HBO shows have been that way for a long time less episodes but each episode is just about the full hour or more. Not the add loaded hour episodes on other networks.

#514 7 years ago

Many people die at Disney's parks worldwide each year, the gates stay open.

#515 7 years ago

Since we apparently can't get Deadwood back proper, Westworld should bring it back in-show as part of the park.

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

That being said, I'm certainly willing to give season 2 chance. I don't know much about television production, but I don't like the modern method of less episodes per season, half seasons and long breaks between smaller seasons. What has changed?

The big budget shows have 'feature movie' quality standards.

It takes a year to make a 2 hour movie, so it certainly takes a year to make a 10 hour series.

#517 7 years ago

I really liked how near the end when the man in black is shot in the arm by the invading hosts, he looks shocked at first but then actually smiles. He finally got what he has always wanted; a level playing field!

Oh, and snake lady is just a bad ass!

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Since we apparently can't get Deadwood back proper, Westworld should bring it back in-show as part of the park.

Not true. Script is actually done already (this is from 5 months ago...):

http://collider.com/deadwood-movie-update/

#519 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I really liked how near the end when the man in black is shot in the arm by the invading hosts, he looks shocked at first but then actually smiles.

Didn't he also get his arm broken and shot in the chest a few times?

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Didn't he also get his arm broken and shot in the chest a few times?

Yes his arm was broken but the shots to the chest disintegrated upon impact from what I could tell.

#521 7 years ago

Wonder why they only broke his arm and not kill him on the spot....

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I really liked how near the end when the man in black is shot in the arm by the invading hosts, he looks shocked at first but then actually smiles. He finally got what he has always wanted; a level playing field!
Oh, and snake lady is just a bad ass!

Ford said he would like the new narrative. That was his moment of realization and his reaction was a great moment in the show.

1 year later
#523 6 years ago

Season 2 in April! After rewatching season 1 I'm more excited new episodes of Westworld then I am season 8 of GOT.

1 month later
#524 6 years ago

Second Season 2 trailer dropped just in advance of Season 2 premiere next month. A warehouse with a bunch of Bernards? Time spent in Samurai World? Yesplease.

Iterations of Bernard in the warehouse storage:
lotsa-bernard (resized).jpglotsa-bernard (resized).jpg

#525 6 years ago

This looks amazing! The production quality on these episodes is as good or better than most feature films.

#526 6 years ago

Cant wait!

#527 6 years ago

Is Hopkins back in this season? He was excellent in season one.

#528 6 years ago

I'm giddy!

Almost April!

#529 6 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Is Hopkins back in this season? He was excellent in season one.

He kind of has to be, right? It was weird I didnt notice him in the trailer....

#530 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

SPOILER ALERT: I'll bury this in the 'graph so that no one sees it accidentally, but the IMDB listing for the show lists Hopkins' participation as "10 episodes, 2016", while the other returning actors are shown as "x episodes, 2016-2018".

#531 6 years ago

It was weird I didnt notice him in the trailer....

One of the cliffhangers at the end of episode 10 was Ford getting killed by Dolores, so if Ford is in season 2 it wouldn't make sense for them to show him in a trailer and spoil the cliffhanger.

#532 6 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

One of the cliffhangers at the end of episode 10 was Ford getting killed by Dolores, so if Ford is in season 2 it wouldn't make sense for them to show him in a trailer and spoil the cliffhanger.

I really thought he was a robot in that episode. We re-watched season 1 and left the last episode for closer to the season premiere. I guess its time to watch it again! Thanks

#533 6 years ago

I really thought he was a robot in that episode. We re-watched season 1 and left the last episode for closer to the season premiere. I guess its time to watch it again! Thanks

Same here!

#534 6 years ago

Yeah, it seemed very much like he was a robot when he gave that speech, but then again, maybe he has been one for a while and transferred his consciousness long before. Can't wait for the new season.

#535 6 years ago

It looks like the man in black is carrying him in one of the shots of the new trailer toward the end (you don't see his head, but the arm and shoulder makes it look like a person with Ford's "usual" outfit on).

#536 6 years ago

I re-watched season one again last month. Even better on the second viewing. I am pumped for season two.

3 weeks later
#537 5 years ago

So, Episode 1 of Season 2 had a lot of foundation to lay for what looks like a much different show than Season 1. Biggest question for me is "What are those city scenes?" for sure. Are they the outside world or the Future World park? Also, pretty sure now that the whole place is on an island. Faking an ocean would be way too hard and expensive.

#538 5 years ago

as always with this show.. I'm hoping 3 episodes from now this one will make more sense

Didn't guests arrive by train in season 1?

And desert vistas on an island?? That seems... conflicting.

And these guys must have the worst security ever. Robots take out the entire security force? I get the girl was given control over the hosts.. but they shouldn't have been able to take-over the control center so easily I would think.

Must wait for more details...

#539 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

as always with this show.. I'm hoping 3 episodes from now this one will make more sense
Didn't guests arrive by train in season 1?
And desert vistas on an island?? That seems... conflicting.
And these guys must have the worst security ever. Robots take out the entire security force? I get the girl was given control over the hosts.. but they shouldn't have been able to take-over the control center so easily I would think.
Must wait for more details...

Robert Ford terraformed the park pretty much at will, so I can buy the desert vistas as being man-made. Seems like he has unlimited money.

The DNA stuff with the drones in the secret lab seems like we're heading into Future World territory, which is not super-great as that was a weak storyline in a weak movie.

#540 5 years ago

The multiple timelines thing is hard to keep track but it wasn't a bad first episode of the season. My biggest issue is the lack of a hero to root for, everyone in the damn show is evil.

#541 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

The multiple timelines thing is hard to keep track but it wasn't a bad first episode of the season. My biggest issue is the lack of a hero to root for, everyone in the damn show is evil.

Maeve is likely the "hero" this season.

#542 5 years ago

I enjoy the show but they have the dumbest and worst security of any show/movie, they make Bond movie henchmen look good.

#543 5 years ago

It’s not making sense yet, as usual. I’m hoping they don’t derail it with dumb sub plots etc. The young girl / board member was my least favorite character and she’s already been given a major role. Once they break free and kill all the humans, it become much less practical to imagine the storyline continuing without breaking down.

One interesting thing. Other than a picture of Williams wife, they haven’t exactly said when the story is taking place. It could be a theoretical far distant future or far different outside world.

Fingers crossed.

#544 5 years ago

The device that the host's memories are perfect, and they become "unreliable narrators" of telling the story because we don't know what happens when was used in season 1 and definitely seems to be in full effect season 2.

I don't think we're supposed to have a clue what is happening when at this point in the season.

#545 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Robert Ford terraformed the park pretty much at will, so I can buy the desert vistas as being man-made. Seems like he has unlimited money.
T

Yeah but changing/controlling the weather is a lot harder than moving dirt

I was left with the idea this was some big void and they created everything within it...

#546 5 years ago

So we've got a lot going on with season two. I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but episode one seems to have established goals for a number of the main characters: Dolores is seeking to take over the world(s), The Man in Black (William) has started his new quest for "the door", Maeve is searching for her daughter, and then there is Bernard. In one of our timelines, seemingly just after the gala, it seems like Bernard's goal is going to be to find Abernathy (Dolores' father). Seemingly in that process he creates a "sea of dead hosts". Did he do that on purpose? Perhaps he directed the hosts there, but did not knowing that a sea had been created in that place. Along the way, I'm assuming we'll also uncover more about why Delos has been collecting DNA and other information from it's guests.

PS: I think Teddy could be an interesting character this season. He's doesn't totally seem on board with Dolores. I'm wondering if there will eventually be a conflict where we'll see a war between the hosts. We've already seen from the scalped indian that Dolores was near that location killing hosts (at least one). Are the hosts in the sea the one's working with or against Dolores? It's looking like Bernard was responsible. Was he working with or against Dolores? My guess is he somehow helped to direct the hosts to that location, but was not aware that a sea had been created.

#547 5 years ago

I am also a fan of this series and I had the good surprise to discover last week, the trailer of season 2. In France, Westworld is broadcast on the channels OCS (US HBO + 24) and I'm actually watching the first episode !
In the fantasy genre / SF, I also like the series "Future Man"

#548 5 years ago

Another goofy thing is if the lightbulb with all the information is in the robot's head, why are they running around killing all of them at point blank range by shooting them in the head and potentially damaging it?

As we saw with Bernard, if they lose that fluid in their head they can't function. Poke them in the ear and let that clear fluid drain out.

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Another goofy thing is if the lightbulb with all the information is in the robot's head, why are they running around killing all of them at point blank range by shooting them in the head and potentially damaging it?
As we saw with Bernard, if they lose that fluid in their head they can't function. Poke them in the ear and let that clear fluid drain out.

Two thoughts. One, I may have missed it, but who's to say this cleanup team is interested in protecting that "light bulb" thing. Maybe they are indifferent or perhaps their goal is to destroy them. There could be some information stored there that they don't want anyone finding or using. Two, perhaps they are almost like a black box on an airplane. You can put it though a plane crash and the information on it is still going to be able to be retrievable. I'm leaning towards option two since the hosts we engineered to be shot.

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-watch-hbos-westworld/page/11?hl=therookie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.