hitler15 (resized).jpg
westworld (resized).png
william-medium_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U (resized).jpg
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
1445207270295 (resized).jpg
gallery-blade-runner-30 (resized).jpg
Blade-Runner-Tyrell-e1370506119984 (resized).jpg
tumblr_lwixpy3km61r8q6tio1_500 (resized).jpg
There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 16.
#1 7 years ago

Watched the premier this past Sunday. I'm intrigued and I think it has great potential, but I wasn't floored. Hoping it gets better as time goes on... Definitely has some high-caliber actors!

Going to have to check out the original movie too.

#2 7 years ago

Original film is on my curriculum list, highly recommended, even if a little dated now.

"He shot me. He really shot me!"

"DRAW."

#3 7 years ago

A perfect review, I couldn't agree more. I remember the movie but haven't seen it in ages.

The hype seemed really high with the trailers, and yeah that's quite a cast for a series. This looks like one expensive show too, maybe not as much as GOT, but not far off.

I read before Sundays episode, that it's probably gonna take a little time. GOT was like that for me as well.

#4 7 years ago

I haven't watched the show but I'll probably catch up toward the end of the season. The movie is pretty great. I need to watch the sequel.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Watched the premier this past Sunday. I'm intrigued and I think it has great potential, but I wasn't floored. Hoping it gets better as time goes on... Definitely has some high-caliber actors!
Going to have to check out the original movie too.

The original movie is a classic. Top notch. The sequel Futureworld not so much.

I don't have HBO, too bad this could be cool.

#6 7 years ago

The snipets from upcoming episodes look to promise a lot of "goings on" for sure... I'm happy to continue watching it and give it a chance.

Thought most performances were great, except for the lady who plays the big wig (who smokes) at the corp. Felt her acting was terrible. Hopkins was great, but he always is. Ed Harris was good, but not great - definitely interested in learning his character's story and how he fits in.

#7 7 years ago

I'm hoping to watch it this week, but I have heard elsewhere that it might take a few episodes to get rolling. Looks good though.

#8 7 years ago

Thought it was great. There was a ton of subtle things going on that built an interesting atmosphere of uneasiness without being in-your-face. It has me intrigued but it will have to continue to be up to this standard consistently - one bad episode early on could be a problem with a slower burning show like this.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

There was a ton of subtle things going on that built an interesting atmosphere of uneasiness without being in-your-face.

Totally agree. There certainly was a ton of things going on... Hope it doesn't turn out to be too much to juggle in the long run.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

This looks like one expensive show too, maybe not as much as GOT, but not far off.

$25MM budget for the pilot; $100MM budget for the first season (10 episodes).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbos-westworld-100-million-price-934347

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

GOT was like that for me as well.

I remember it took me about midway through the first season to get invested in GOT and then it was the third season that it ascended into the top show on TV.

#12 7 years ago

My wife and I like it. We watched the original film before the first episode to get an understanding of the original material. Pretty good movie. I wouldn't doubt that Cameron got some of his ideas for how Arnold to act in The Terminator from Yule Brynner's performance.

#13 7 years ago

The original is one of my favorites.

#14 7 years ago

I watched it and thought it has a lot of potential. Looking forward to future episodes.

#15 7 years ago

Yes.
We watched it and loved it.
I watched the original a lot so I am very familiar with the concept.
But the entire time I was watching the premier I kept wondering if newbies would think, (Hey, this is just Groundhog Day in the old West).

#16 7 years ago

"He needs his mamma". Best line ever from the original!

#17 7 years ago

watched the premier last night (I was torn between watching it and continuing luke cage)

as dtowndobe mentioned, most of the actors were really good, but (like luke cage) some of the major roles were a bit lack luster (I'm not sure if it's the actors or simply the role that they were placed in

without providing any spoilers, it will definitely be interesting to see their story arc for this version (and if they plan on running it for more than just one season) given that the original movie kind of wrapped things up with a bow in 2 1-1/2 hr long movies (westworld and futureworld).

both the original movies were favorites in my youth and surprisingly still hold up well given all of the advancements in CGI and practical special effects. yul brynner's "the man in black" character seemed a lot more sinister than the role that they have ed harris playing

#18 7 years ago

Be patient and just imagine the day when the hosts overtake the control center, and activate all of their decommissioned naked friends.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The original movie is a classic. Top notch. The sequel Futureworld not so much.
I don't have HBO, too bad this could be cool.

Am I the only one that liked Futureworld? While not as good as Westworld; it was a worthy sequel.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I haven't watched the show but I'll probably catch up toward the end of the season. The movie is pretty great. I need to watch the sequel.

I didnt know they made a sequel to the original.....gonna have to check that out

#21 7 years ago

I too remember seeing the original back when it came out. I was about 14 and it freaked me out. I watched the first HBO episode last night - thought it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

EDIT: '73! ...I thought this came out in '79. OK, I was about eight years old. No wonder I was so freaked out!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Am I the only one that liked Futureworld? While not as good as Westworld; it was a worthy sequel.

It is kind of like the Ghostbusters II argument. Better than a lot of stuff but just not the original. There were just too many top notch movies back then. The 70's was a great time to be young and into Science Fiction. Sure, everyone knows Star Wars, Alien and Mad-Max. But just like the original Westworld here are another 10 must see movies from that decade (there are many more).

Collosus: The Forbin Project
Planet of the Apes
Andromeda Strain
Rollerball
Logan's Run
Clockwork Orange
Omega Man
THX-1138
Silent Running
Soylent Green

I don't mean to take the topic off track. But these days there is so much remake of original stuff from movies to music it is aggravating. I think the industry waits for time to go by and rehash the old with special effects and today's viewers never go and appreciate the originals. Little special effects, lots of writing and acting. I think the entire decade didn't have $100M budget never mind one show.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Be patient and just imagine the day when the hosts overtake the control center, and activate all of their decommissioned naked friends.

God I hope not. There's a 500 lb naked woman in there.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Yes. I thought Future World was horrible. Peter Fonda is just as bad an actor as his sister.

I thought the pilot episode was very good. It helps if you saw the movie but not essential. I wonder if they will have a Yul Brynner character.

#25 7 years ago

I just watched it last night and thought the same, it has potential and I hope it picks up in the next few episodes. I'll stick with it no matter what. Loved the film.

have any of you seen this? I'd love to have one in a game room

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

have any of you seen this? I'd love to have one in a game room

For my money, the MIB Arkillian face prop is my pick, however can't argue that this sculptor's rendition is spot on from the film.

Looking forward to Westworld on HBO but likley not to watch until post season via VUDU.

#27 7 years ago

hqdefault (1) (resized).jpghqdefault (1) (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

I'm a big fan of the original movies and was very impressed with the first episode of the show.

It's a different angle on the same concept and I feel like it has serious legs. I haven't seen science fiction that's gotten in my head like this one has in a long time. Super intriguing stuff.

A lot of people have mentioned the "smoking lady" isn't the best actress...but what if she's a robot?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

I wonder if they will have a Yul Brynner character.

ahem.... that's kind of the role that ed harris is playing as I noted above

Quoted from j_m_:

yul brynner's "the man in black" character seemed a lot more sinister than the role that they have ed harris playing

#31 7 years ago

I watched it...the story is obviously being drawn out to make it a series so granted it will be slow. I do however think if it's going to be a straight up uprising by the bots then it would be basically a westernized Tron or I robot. I hope there are some interesting plot twists at least, or perhaps something that turns out to be a completely different story from the original movie.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I'm a big fan of the original movies and was very impressed with the first episode of the show.
It's a different angle on the same concept and I feel like it has serious legs. I haven't seen science fiction that's gotten in my head like this one has in a long time. Super intriguing stuff.
A lot of people have mentioned the "smoking lady" isn't the best actress...but what if she's a robot?

I pegged the smoking lady as a robot as soon as I saw her.
Time will tell.

#33 7 years ago

I loved it. I thought it was great. Nice slow start, but you can tell there is a ton of stuff boiling just below the surface.

#34 7 years ago

A slow start? That's what you guys call a slow start? To me, a slow start would be a few episodes of visitor experiences to the park, showing how things work differently based on human interaction and what not. More background on the park itself and the company and it's key employees.

By the end of the first episode a robot has already [REDACTED OMG SPOILERS] and things are rolling right along. Didn't seem slow to me at all.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

It is kind of like the Ghostbusters II argument. Better than a lot of stuff but just not the original. There were just too many top notch movies back then. The 70's was a great time to be young and into Science Fiction. Sure, everyone knows Star Wars, Alien and Mad-Max. But just like the original Westworld here are another 10 must see movies from that decade (there are many more).
Collosus: The Forbin Project
Planet of the Apes
Andromeda Strain
Rollerball
Logan's Run
Clockwork Orange
Omega Man
THX-1138
Silent Running
Soylent Green
I don't mean to take the topic off track. But these days there is so much remake of original stuff from movies to music it is aggravating. I think the industry waits for time to go by and rehash the old with special effects and today's viewers never go and appreciate the originals. Little special effects, lots of writing and acting. I think the entire decade didn't have $100M budget never mind one show.

All great movies. Rarely see Silent Running on anyone's list. One of my all time favorites.

#36 7 years ago

Slightly off topic but the biggest scifi surprise for me has been The Expanse, now that show being as good as it is on the Syfy channel's shoestring budget is a minor miracle.

#37 7 years ago

This first episode laid down some good groundwork for fleshing out various plot lines. I'd give it a thumbs up and can't wait to see the next episode.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Slightly off topic but the biggest scifi surprise for me has been The Expanse, now that show being as good as it is on the Syfy channel's shoestring budget is a minor miracle.

I thought it was good too. I almost thought it was cancelled for some reason until I just looked it up again and saw new episodes should be coming January 2017.

If you liked that, there was an independent precursor to this (and probably "Ascension") called L5. I was hoping to see a continuation for it, but it seems unlikely at this point since I haven't heard any news about it in several years. Note--the acting is a little stiff, and special effects aren't big-budget, but the general story is interesting, especially during the dry spell when the scifi channel was just showing wrestling.

http://vodo.net/hemogoblin/l5/

#39 7 years ago

I don't see the point in watching another wannabe rehash of one of the best movies ever.

They are supposed to take themes that bombed, and people forgot about and try to get it right the second time.

No matter what they do with this show, it will not be as good as the original. Yul Brynner' s dead. RIP.

That, and I don't get HBO.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't see the point in watching another wannabe rehash of one of the best movies ever.
They are supposed to take themes that bombed, and people forgot about and try to get it right the second time.
No matter what they do with this show, it will not be as good as the original. Yul Brynner' s dead. RIP.
» YouTube video

Instead of just making a knee-jerk reaction, why don't you watch an episode and then make an informed decision?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Instead of just making a knee-jerk reaction, why don't you watch an episode and then make an informed decision?

Quoted from o-din:

I don't get HBO.

I have seen the new MacGuyver and that really blows.

The problem with this kind of rehash is you are replacing legendary characters of yesterday with actors of today.

If you aren't too familiar with the originals then it shouldn't bother you much.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That, and I don't get HBO.

So, Aesop was right? Gotcha, you sly fox!

#43 7 years ago

The original movie is running this weekend on cable. I just recently saw it for the first time and really enjoyed it. Josh Brolin is the spitting image of his father James.

IMG_0985 (resized).JPGIMG_0985 (resized).JPG

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Josh Brolin is the spitting image of his father James.

?? Christian Bale does kind of look like him though.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

So, Aesop was right? Gotcha, you sly fox!

Yep. I might have watched it if I got it. I just can't see how they are going to draw this out in a series now.

I'll admit I did enjoy the remakes of The Mechanic with Jason Statham, and 3:10 to Yuma with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale is one of my all time favorites. But they left them as motion pictures and didn't try to drag them out in a never ending series.

#46 7 years ago

Josh Brolin

MTE5NDg0MDU0ODMwMjIwODE1 (resized).jpgMTE5NDg0MDU0ODMwMjIwODE1 (resized).jpg

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Thats Christian Bale on the left.

Indeed.

Christian-Bale-Russell-Crowe-as-Dan-Evans-Ben-Wade-3-10-to-yuma-18071948-1800-1918 (resized).jpgChristian-Bale-Russell-Crowe-as-Dan-Evans-Ben-Wade-3-10-to-yuma-18071948-1800-1918 (resized).jpg

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

3:10 to Yuma with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale is one of my all time favorites

Agreed!

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

?? Christian Bale does kind of look like him though.

Oops! I googled to quick. I'll leave it un edited for a good laugh. Now I find all the google hits on how Christian Bale looks like him.

IMG_0984 (resized).JPGIMG_0984 (resized).JPG

IMG_0986 (resized).JPGIMG_0986 (resized).JPG

#50 7 years ago

Glad they didn't try to make a series out of that!

There are 768 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-watch-hbos-westworld and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.