Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I'm trying to flash an updated ROM for a Dracula (no ghost rom created using a rom patcher).

I can read the content of the flash, but whenever I try to erase or program, I get an error (which is not very verbose... : Programming Error, and that's it)

Oddly enough
- if I read the content of the flash, and program it back, it does go through the programming procedure just fine (flash and verify)
- If I read the content of the flash, modify just ONE byte and attempt to flash, I get an error programming
- and of course, if I use a completely different binary, I get an error programming

Unfortunately, I don't have an alternate 27C040 EEPROM available, so can't figure out if it's a SW issue or a HW issue.

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

If that's the part # you're using, it's a one time programmable one. So no changing. It's not electrically erasable, nor via UV lamp.

Get a blank one.

EDIT: You might need to just erase it with the UV lamp depending on what variant it is. Ones with the window are UV erasable.

The reason is you can reprogram it with the exact same code is that you're not changing anything. You would run into an issue with anything that would remove more bits though, when the eprom is blanked, all the bytes are $FF, and you remove bits via the burning process to get for instance $8F. If the game needs $8F there and you subsequently burn say $80, it should do it.

Back in the day (70s-early 80s) there were people that would progressively burn code onto eproms and have a vector table at the end that grew with each burn to point the code to the "correct" newest block. Eproms that held 2k were $70 each then. Ouch.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

If that's the part # you're using, it's a one time programmable one. So no changing. It's not electrically erasable, nor via UV lamp.
Get a blank one.
EDIT: You might need to just erase it with the UV lamp depending on what variant it is. Ones with the window are UV erasable.
The reason is you can reprogram it with the exact same code is that you're not changing anything. You would run into an issue with anything that would remove more bits though, when the eprom is blanked, all the bytes are $FF, and you remove bits via the burning process to get for instance $8F. If the game needs $8F there and you subsequently burn say $80, it should do it.
Back in the day (70s-early 80s) there were people that would progressively burn code onto eproms and have a vector table at the end that grew with each burn to point the code to the "correct" newest block. Eproms that held 2k were $70 each then. Ouch.

Thanks foe the clarification, reached the same conclusion.

Is there any erasable compatible eeprom I could use on wpc machines?

#4 1 year ago

ST M27C4001 and TI TMS27C040 are common EPROMs used in WPC games.

#5 1 year ago

I don't deal with WPC games but Winbonds W27E040 is the only electrically erasable ROM of that size/pinout.

The datasheet doesn't state what happens in a read operation if pin 1 (Vpp) is low. Some EPROMs treat a low on Vpp as disabling the device, others simply ignore it during read operations which is what the ST M27C4001 and TI TMS27C040 chips do.
The WPC schematic says EPROM pin 1 is tied to the ASIC as another ROM page pin to allow it to support 27C080 EPROMs. Was it ever done?

#6 1 year ago

Yes, some of the newer WPC games or new ROM versions use a 27C080.

I recommend using the 27C040 or 27C4001 for 4M games. Either buy new empty EPROMs or get a UV eraser for your used chips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-using-a-tl866ii-plus-programmer-to-flash-at27c040 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.