image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-762.jpg
image-871.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone used the Line Out that is on the WOZ.
I have played several different WOZ machines but I don't think anyone used it to pump out additional sound.

Has anyone tried or seen it used?

#2 10 years ago

I used it to output to a sub without problem.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I used it to output to a sub without problem.

Very cool, how did it sound with a sub?

#4 10 years ago

It's an improvement, but only marginally so. I think the sub could be put to better use on another of my pins.

#5 10 years ago

is their enough music with bass...I am guessing castle playfield sound would be best?

#6 10 years ago

I am using the Polk 10" sub that has been mentioned frequently on Pinside. By way of context, the sub I use with my main stereo is a Martin-Logan Descent i, which has three 10" speakers driven by far more powerful amps and which cost--well, let's just say a whole lot more. Therefore, I am not wowed by the Polk, although I think it is a great deal given its price. The point being that I am kind of a bass snob and not the one who should be answering this question! Does it help? Sure, a bit. Does it provide what I would regard as a realistic level of bass? No, but nothing available at anything like this price could be expected to do so. In short, it's a worthwhile upgrade; just don't expect the rafters to shake for $60.

#7 10 years ago

good to know when the time comes.

I just thought it was neat that the WOZ came with a Line Out and a Headphones Jack, but I haven't heard much about people using them on the boards.

Good to know at least someone tried it out.

#8 10 years ago

I also hooked up a sub but only got OK results for some reason. I had to turn the sub all the way up to get any good base. Also the game does not mute the sub when you put on the head phones. I now have it hooked up directly to the sub in the game. Works much much better.

#9 10 years ago

Also, if the line out doesn't sound loud enough or doesn't mute it might be because it's for use hooking up to a stereo or amp or a powered sub. If you just hook up a non-powered woofer speaker it's not going to sound loud enough or very good.

#10 10 years ago

It was hooked up to a powered sub.

#11 10 years ago

I plan on hooking mine up to my 300 watt PA when I get it.

#12 10 years ago

The audio out in the back was originally designed for someone to hook up a seperate speaker system. This is why when you mute the game it doesn't kill the rear audio out. Fast forward three years and people just use it for a subwoofer output. Sorry we just didn't know what the market would want more.

Thanks,
Lorenzo
Pinnovators.com

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from islandpinball:

Anyone use the Line Out or Audio out jack on WOZ?

Can't do that. It might constitute an electrical connection that voids your WOZ warranty.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The audio out in the back was originally designed for someone to hook up a seperate speaker system. This is why when you mute the game it doesn't kill the rear audio out. Fast forward three years and people just use it for a subwoofer output. Sorry we just didn't know what the market would want more.

Thanks,
Lorenzo
Pinnovators.com

Thanks Lorenzo for chiming in, i was hoping you would. 2 questions....To get sound on the sub would you need to raise the volume of the game itself as well?
What are your thoughts about adding a subwoofer to WOZ, personally I think the sound is pretty good already?

and i really like the head phone jack , very well done!

#15 10 years ago

I used the RCA jacks to hook up a subwoofer. Why not?

#16 10 years ago

The headphones and the rear output are slaves to the main volume control. We set resistors on all three outputs main, rear, and headphone at a nominal level. They could be modified say like having the headphone level output louder then the cabinet speaker output but this would void your warranty. The level of the sub output when in your home should be fine at normal levels. I spent $500 on a sub at best buy which had level controls, I set the sub where I felt comfortable with it. I had it hooked up to the game at Allentown in the pinball star booth. I think it makes a difference since the game is prodominatly clean highs. I think the hobbit sound track will benefit more from having a sub. I know they have changed lots of sounds and what not as the code progressed on woz, I haven't got the chance to play it with a sub since the early code.

We designed the amplifier with a extra channel that didn't get used in production. I'm hoping to have that in use in the hobbit.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

I used the RCA jacks to hook up a subwoofer. Why not?

The correct connection out the jack in the back is a 3.5mm x RCA jack cord. You can get them at radio shack for a couple bucks.

1 month later
#19 10 years ago

I used a 3.5 mm that split to two (L&R) RCA Jacks into the sub. If you only plug one RCA in on either channel, it works but if you plug in both channels, its dead? also picks up thumping sounds off the cabinet? Anyone have any idea? Using PSW-10 Polk sub.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I used a 3.5 mm that split to two (L&R) RCA Jacks into the sub. If you only plug one RCA in on either channel, it works but if you plug in both channels, its dead? also picks up thumping sounds off the cabinet? Anyone have any idea? Using PSW-10 Polk sub.

I have two subs at my house one Polk and one BIC, and i found that either sub weren't adding much to the experience for me on WOZ.

i did have some problems at first but then it worked. Did you adjust settings on the sub volume control making it louder?

#21 10 years ago

Yes, I did. One issue is also that it does not mute with the mute button, so I may just tap the woofer connection in the cab like the rest of my machines and use it that way. I just can't figure out why it will not work right with the line out tap. Like I stated earlier, if I only input one channel, it works, but if you feed both channels it is dead. I don't understand that either.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Yes, I did. One issue is also that it does not mute with the mute button, so I may just tap the woofer connection in the cab like the rest of my machines and use it that way. I just can't figure out why it will not work right with the line out tap. Like I stated earlier, if I only input one channel, it works, but if you feed both channels it is dead. I don't understand that either.

Strange for sure

1 year later
#23 8 years ago

Can someone tell me what type of cable I use for the line out to an external subwoofer? Or would I be better off just soldering speaker wires directly to the subwoofer and going that route? Is it safe to solder wires directly to the subwoofer on WOZ and run them to an external sub? I've done it on all of my Sterns with no problem.

I'm guessing that I'd get better results with running the wires directly to the subwoofer. I think the actual line out on the back sends more than just the bass, which would not make it ideal to send to an external subwoofer. Anyone know?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can someone tell me what type of cable I use for the line out to an external subwoofer? Or would I be better off just soldering speaker wires directly to the subwoofer and going that route? Is it safe to solder wires directly to the subwoofer on WOZ and run them to an external sub? I've done it on all of my Sterns with no problem.
I'm guessing that I'd get better results with running the wires directly to the subwoofer. I think the actual line out on the back sends more than just the bass, which would not make it ideal to send to an external subwoofer. Anyone know?

The line out to the back and the cabinet speaker are both the same... Your better using the jack in the back. It's a 3.5mm....so what u need is a 12' 3.5mm male x male cord and a 3.5mm female by dual rca male to your sub... I can ship them to you for $10. Email [email protected] with your PayPal address and the request.
Here's pictures of what u need if u want to get them on your own.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#25 8 years ago

I used the Line out and then went direct from the bottom speaker,i feel it sounds better. Using a Polk...

#26 8 years ago

if you are using a external sub with the jack in the back the mute button on the door wont mute the powered sub. we now have a plug n play wiring set up for $25 to make the door mute the sub as well as the speakers in the game... Just a extra option as that when it was built it was designed not to mute the jack in the back

#27 8 years ago

My subwoofer line in is actually just one input....not two. So should i just use that first cable?

Is that 3.5mm cable just a regular rca cable? Can I just use an old red or white audio cable? Or does it have to be a stereo cable like a line out you would plug into you iPod?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

My subwoofer line in is actually just one input....not two. So should i just use that first cable?
Is that 3.5mm cable just a regular rca cable? Can I just use an old red or white audio cable? Or does it have to be a stereo cable like a line out you would plug into you iPod?

U can use only one rca it will be fine...the jack in the back is 3.5mm.... Your sub should be rca input that's why we use a two piece set up..as pictured above...

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

The sub won't be in stereo the jack in the back is a mono output

#30 8 years ago

Got it. Thanks!

#31 8 years ago

Turns out my line out isn't plugged into anything in the game. Cable is just sitting there. Anyone know where that plugs in?

#32 8 years ago

Here is what the audio plugs look like on the back of the cpu. Should I plug in the top or the bottom?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#33 8 years ago
image.jpgimage.jpg
#34 8 years ago

Nevermind. Found it. Goes here. The bottom one.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I am using the Polk 10" sub that has been mentioned frequently on Pinside. By way of context, the sub I use with my main stereo is a Martin-Logan Descent i, which has three 10" speakers driven by far more powerful amps and which cost--well, let's just say a whole lot more. Therefore, I am not wowed by the Polk, although I think it is a great deal given its price. The point being that I am kind of a bass snob and not the one who should be answering this question! Does it help? Sure, a bit. Does it provide what I would regard as a realistic level of bass? No, but nothing available at anything like this price could be expected to do so. In short, it's a worthwhile upgrade; just don't expect the rafters to shake for $60.

I have the Polk on my WOZ as well - it's a noticeable improvement, but it's not going to knock your socks off.

For those looking for a little more punch than the Polks, I use lllvjr's 4 combiner and share a 12" SVSound SB12-NSD on 4 pins. *MUCH* tighter/stronger bass and not much more investment than buying 4 Polks. Tron and ST sound amazing on that sub.

#36 8 years ago

Does anyone make a kit or adaptor to use the headphone volume buttons to control actual game volume.. ???? THX>

PIA to sometimes open the door and adjust if your explaining the Woz ...Or someone has questions...

Plus stopping the game.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from NicToria:

Does anyone make a kit or adaptor to use the headphone volume buttons to control actual game volume.. ???? THX>
PIA to sometimes open the door and adjust if your explaining the Woz ...Or someone has questions...
Plus stopping the game.

We sell the jjpmac $55 shipped in the USA. Plugs into your coin door and let's you turn the game volume up and down with out opening the door.

It's on my website
Pinnovators.com or just email me your PayPal and I'll generate u a invoice if u want one

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from NicToria:

Plus stopping the game.

Kind of blows my mind that you can't control the master volume with those buttons. I understand that on route you wouldn't want people to be able to control volume. But, they could have just made an option in the settings menu to allow master volume control with those buttons.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Kind of blows my mind that you can't control the master volume with those buttons. I understand that on route you wouldn't want people to be able to control volume. But, they could have just made an option in the settings menu to allow master volume control with those buttons.

Th headphone jack is its own separate amplifier built into the door. It's not possible to use those buttons to control the master volume even if they wanted to... And these games aren't just for home use.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Th headphone jack is its own separate amplifier built into the door. It's not possible to use those buttons to control the master volume even if they wanted to... And these games aren't just for home use.

Aaahhhh I see. Well I'll have to order the front volume plate from you sometime. I have the Pin-Vol on my Sterns and love it. It's nice to adjust volume on the fly.

#41 8 years ago

Thx. lllvjr..

NT>

5 years later
#42 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The line out to the back and the cabinet speaker are both the same... Your better using the jack in the back. It's a 3.5mm....so what u need is a 12' 3.5mm male x male cord and a 3.5mm female by dual rca male to your sub... I can ship them to you for $10. Email [email protected] with your PayPal address and the request.
Here's pictures of what u need if u want to get them on your own.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

HELLO! I know this might be a bit late but I was curious at what port you plugged your 3.5mm in the pinball machine for sound? We are so confused with the volume for the Le JJP GNR, We are looking at sound bar options. We have the Sony sub and that sounds amazing but the sound up top needs attention.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Turns out my line out isn't plugged into anything in the game. Cable is just sitting there. Anyone know where that plugs in?

2 weeks later
#43 3 years ago

Hopefully our GnR will arrive in a few days! Maybe I can help out then.
What don't you like about the sound up top??

9 months later
#44 2 years ago

[EDIT: Created a new post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/affordable-subwoofer-rec-for-jjps#post-6601620]

I've got two JJPs (WOZ, DI) and looking to add a sub to connect to both. Was thinking about getting this one:
Monoprice 12" 150W, $120

On Craigslist I see a PSW100 for $90 and a PSW10 for $50.
Any thoughts?

Also, whichever I get -- can I just take the external line out for each, convert to RCA and plug into the L and R on the woofer?

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-the-line-out-or-audio-out-jack-on-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.