(Topic ID: 127415)

Anyone use pinsound board with Date East Games ?

By docquest

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MJW
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Photo_Aug_10_10_33_17_AM.jpg
image.jpg
DSC_1398.JPG

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

When i had the pinsound board in my DE Trek I was using the stock power supply and it worked fine. Right now, I have the pinsound board in my Diner. When I get home tonight I'll put the pinsound back in Trek and see what the 12v line is running at. I'll also measure the 12v with the stock supply.

With my stock DE power supply and stock DE sound board I measuring in the range of about 10.3v - 10.7v on the 12v line. When I put the pinsound board in it measured slightly higher, more in the range of 10.5v to 10.9v. In both cases, I played the game during measurements to see how much it would move around.

As a point of comparison the same pinsound board in my Diner with an xpin power supply measures a very steady 10.6 - 10.65 volts. With the stock power supply in my Diner the 12v line measures 10.0 to 10.5 volts and the pinsound board doesn't seem to initialize and stays quiet. Even though the stock DE power supply ran low for 12v, the stock sound board worked fine. I had to upgrade to the xpin power supply when the pinsound board was added.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I'm not sure if there are any negative consequences to the board having 12V power before the machine is fully on, or if it's worse to have 5V but not 12V... I'll need to wire this thing into the switched side of the power switch. That or rebuild the power supply when Great Plains Electronics is back from vacation. I'm on the fence about that last part. Leaving this thing in there is pretty damn appealing. It was quick and free.

You can use this:

http://www.powerswitchtail.com/Pages/default.aspx

to provide 12v via the service outlet plug only when the game is in.

Tie the 12v line from the pinball machine to the input on the power switch tail and plug the AC input of the power switch to the service outlet. Then when the game is turned it the power switch tail senses the 12v and allows the 120 AC to flow through the power switch. You plug you 12v wall wart into output side of the power switch. I use this on my CFTBL LCD mod to power the TV. It only comes on when the game is powered on.

#53 5 years ago

Hi all

Just wanted to share my experience :
I've got many DATA games, and i also bought many pinsound boards.
I had a low 12V on 2 games.

I succeeded to have all the games working now.

The sound was cutting when holding flippers, or when the shaker was activated, or both.

First i tried to swap power board, to see which boards are very good, and others with low 12v (nearly 10.5V - 11V).

i don't know exactly what was the problem on the boards, but i changed fuses (also on 1 board C1 and C4), changed the fuse holders
and reflow everything to take care of Bad Solder Joint.
I also took great care with CN2 and CN1- pins 10 11 12

Result : i don't need any new board (or new xpin), repair was a success on 2 different boards. I also added a shaker in the GNR.
Everything working perfectly now.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

I also added a shaker in the GNR.

Whats the deal with adding the shaker?
easy to program?

#55 5 years ago

Having the same problem of music cutting out during gameplay on GNR. Running a rottendog power supply that Markmon modified for me to fix the 12 volt loss issue. Have to check voltages again. Problem happens when volume turned up. Sound is not much better than stock so something is wrong for sure. Running an old pinball pro speaker kit. I had to modify backbox speaker when installing speaker light kit. Maybe a speaker cone got torn. This sucks.

1 week later
#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

My solution was a 12V @ 6A power supply I found in my basement apparently made for indoor use of automotive accessories via a cigarette lighter adapter. I cut that garbage off, extended the wires, and wired it to the Pinsound board. I did so by replacing the 12V gray/white on the IDC with the new 12V line, and adding the ground to the board through a ground pin on an otherwise unused header on the pinsound board.

I was hoping to just plug the thing into my service outlet, but being a re-import, of course it was missing (anyone have a source for a replacement?)

Does your cab wiring have a power run for a dollar bill acceptor? (In my GNR, it's a black and white wire pair that runs to the coin door, with a 2-pin AMP connector conveniently in line just before the coin door. But as yours is a re-import, I don't know if you'll have that.) If so, you can power the 12V DC power brick from that, which is what I did. That way it's switched with the rest of the machine.

#57 5 years ago

I'm pretty doubtful. GnR is at least two years newer than Hook and I certainly can't recall ever seeing a bill acceptor in a machine as early as 1991; I'll poke around there though with my DMM and see what's up. Thanks!

Quoted from Blackjacker:

Does your cab wiring have a power run for a dollar bill acceptor? (In my GNR, it's a black and white wire pair that runs to the coin door, with a 2-pin AMP connector conveniently in line just before the coin door. But as yours is a re-import, I don't know if you'll have that.) If so, you can power the 12V DC power brick from that, which is what I did. That way it's switched with the rest of the machine.

1 month later
#58 5 years ago

My Tommy will have sound one day then the next no sound. I'll have to check the power supply tomorrow. I also updated the firmware but should I delete the file off the usb stick after it is done?

1 week later
#59 5 years ago

Finally got my long delayed PinSound board for my Tommy, rev 1.4, loaded up newest firmware...
... and nothing.

Well, not ENTIRELY true: there are BRIEF flashes of sound, but basically quiet. When I do get the brief sound, it is lost I THINK when a solenoid fires, suggesting it is a voltage drop issue. My Data East power supply board looks like it has seen better days. So I guess I'm going to go with the X-Pin 5047 replacement. I read some had to have the RottenDog version of the DE 5047 power supply board tweaked to accommodate the PinSound, but not the X-Pin. Right?

I also read that some people were using the service outlet to provide the 12v to the pinsound (not as a long term solution but to confirm). I simply don't trust my skills to do this properly: is there a plug and play way of just providing an external 12v temporary supply to the PinSound (hint hint PinSound engineers)?

#60 5 years ago

I had the drops issue on my GnR. Put the xpin power board in and it plays flawless now. Good luck....

#61 5 years ago

Thanks for the response. I'm ordering an XPi soon...

#62 5 years ago

I got my board this weekend but instructions on building my own sound track are very poor. Can anyone help me?

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I simply don't trust my skills to do this properly: is there a plug and play way of just providing an external 12v temporary supply to the PinSound (hint hint PinSound engineers)?

I used a wall wart 12v power supply to confirm 12v power issue. It worked, not really plug and play.. But not very hard to do.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I got my board this weekend but instructions on building my own sound track are very poor. Can anyone help me?

Yeah I would like some advice on this, too.
What pinsound software, if any, does one require?

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I used a wall wart 12v power supply to confirm 12v power issue. It worked, not really plug and play.. But not very hard to do.

Yeah, I read how you did that. Unless I can actually SEE how you did it, I really don't trust myself to guess, even if its an educated guess. Just out of my comfort zone (unless you can give me a couple of pics showing how you hooked it up).

Thanks for the idea!

#66 5 years ago

Does anyone have video with Tommy using the Who music? Would be very interested to see that in action...

#67 5 years ago

Here's one with the OST in it.

Love my pinsounds in IJ and TZ. Not satisfied with the mixes out there for SWDE, so I'm going to make my own.

#68 5 years ago

Thinking about getting a Tommy. Looks like an expensive upgrade awaits me! Lol

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Does anyone have video with Tommy using the Who music? Would be very interested to see that in action...

Here's my side by side comparison video of original vs pinsound with The Who.

5 months later
#70 4 years ago

Finally recieved the new xpin power supply for my GNR. This fixed my 12v cut out issues that I had . Sound was cutting out in multiball. I am running pinsound board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 229.00
$ 17.95
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside