866C6A0F-A58F-4207-ADF6-5945789F68C0 (resized).jpeg
5097896aae2ca.jpeg (resized).jpg
720-1165190_1f.jpg
ranger-boss2-empty.jpg
PD_6500i_grey_88bad81bda9902f712e249a8448d7a59.jpg
ingot 2 (resized).jpg
62040138_10210722315372254_2723624107412291584_o[1] (resized).jpg
Gold Bug 2 (resized).jpg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Each element has a freqency range that is best suited to allow the detector to find it, so that info is turned into something on the display. I think I read somewhere that gold was best found with a freqency somewhere around 40kHz. So if your detector is searching with 3 frequencies and one of them is going nuts on the display with your highest frequency, then there's a good chance that it's gold you're hitting. I guess that's the best way that I can explain it.

Ah, okay! Understandable, thanks!

1 week later
#52 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

So as per my previous comment, I'm a newb, and my current detector is a cheap, off-the-shelf thing from Harbor Freight.
Can ya'll enlighten me - what do these more advanced (Whites, for example) detectors give? Yes - treat me like an idiot. (Because I am, in this context. Heh!)

I can't help you out with your question. But I have some good advice for you. Don't take your younger brother with you when you go detecting. Many years ago I want with my older brother to the Jersey shore.
He just got his first machine and was giving it his first try
Little did he know I had a pocket of pennies,and I was behind him tossing them in his sweep path . He was going nuts,and had visions of gold necklaces just waiting for the pickings.
He didn't think it was so funny when he found out,but I had a blast that day.
PS
Go ahead and down vote me , I deserve it.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I can't help you out with your question. But I have some good advice for you. Don't take your younger brother with you when you go detecting. Many years ago I want with my older brother to the Jersey shore.
He just got his first machine and was giving it his first try
Little did he know I had a pocket of pennies,and I was behind him tossing them in his sweep path . He was going nuts,and had visions of gold necklaces just waiting for the pickings.
He didn't think it was so funny when he found out,but I had a blast that day.
PS
Go ahead and down vote me , I deserve it.

I laughed.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Sawmills keep a detector around for this very purpose, those blades are expensive!
The Tracker 4 came in a few minutes ago and its raining. Included a cheap pointer.
Like it, can't wait to get out and dig junk!

My local sawmill uses them but still require a substantial deposit just in case they miss something and damage a blade.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Thanks!
Okay, this caught my attention. How do the different frequencies help identify items?
I'm putting this into perspective with the work I do -.

Through practice, the sound that you hear can help to determine how solid and large that the target is.
This doesn't always work, but it will help in many cases.
For instance:
A coke can makes a loud warbling sound over several inches most times, because the signal is deflected in many directions.
A pipe will make a distinct boop type sound, if you go over it perpendicular.
A coin is like a pop.
A metal surveying stake should have a distinctly loud signal over a relatively small area.
Unfortunately, trash of many kinds will have similar sounds to these.

#56 3 years ago

Those of you who detect for civil war relics, how do you get permission? I live in a good area for it, but have no connections to actually hunt for anything. I have a cheapo detector, but it’s good enough to find some bullets. I have no visions of finding buckles or buttons...I’d just like to pull some bullets here and there.
If anyone in the are wants so my robe to tag along with them, let me know!

#57 3 years ago

I've been out of hunting for years but if I was digging percussion caps I knew I was hunting well. If you are serious buy the best machine you can. Always try to get permission but sometimes I would find railroad tracks that intersect a roadway, hop out, go a ways down the tracks, enter the woods. Always cover your dug holes.

#58 3 years ago

Another good idea is to carry a bag on your belt that you can put trash that you dig up in.
It also allows you to rescan areas that you dug up trash from to make sure you don't miss anything.
And there will be lots of trash in almost all cases.
A long line of holes and trash everywhere that you dug up is a sure way to get in trouble.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I've been out of hunting for years

Being in Corolla sure you know about the Spanish gold found further South by a vacationing family. I started years ago on the Outer Banks before they discouraged it. Unless you are in Federal Park territory I think its still legal to hunt. With all of those shipwrecks out there bound to be some good finds roll in with the tide.

#60 3 years ago

I have a Whites M6 with a sunray probe, the probe was an essential investment. I had a cheap handheld probe at one point but lost it along the way when it fell out of my pocket somewhere thats when I bought the sunray since it mounts inline and clips to the detector.
I haven't gone out in a few years now but from just detecting local parks and a few old home sites I managed to find a couple hundred in clad coins, junk silver jewelry, a handful of silver coins lots of junk etc. My best find was a 10K gold ring found along the fence of a tennis court I think I dug 3 or 4 pull tabs out of the same hole then the gold ring popped up.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Being in Corolla sure you know about the Spanish gold found further South by a vacationing family. I started years ago on the Outer Banks before they discouraged it. Unless you are in Federal Park territory I think its still legal to hunt. With all of those shipwrecks out there bound to be some good finds roll in with the tide.

My Nautilus doesn't seem to care for salt water but might try again this spring. There's a lot of crap on the beach, fishing weights etc. I much preferred the Virginia woods.

11 months later
#62 2 years ago

I always say I should hit the beach after a big storm.

#63 2 years ago

THANKS for that video! Exactly what I wanted to see. Dadblasted that guy hit the mother lode.
You can see the edges carved off for Barter long ago.
You know if these folks found 10 gold coins in the surf theres a Galleon out aways that had 2000 plus onboard.
Any idea where this was?

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

THANKS for that video! Exactly what I wanted to see. Dadblasted that guy hit the mother lode.
You can see the edges carved off for Barter long ago.
You know if these folks found 10 gold coins in the surf theres a Galleon out aways that had 2000 plus onboard.
Any idea where this was?

I think it was just south of Canaveral, but he isn’t saying….

#65 2 years ago

That would make sense. Again Man, I appreciate it. Hearing that Guys excitement is inspiring.
Now I want some Spanish gold, even if I have to buy it.

#66 2 years ago

If I had to buy a detector today for <$500 what would you guys recommend? I don’t mean to hijack the thread or anything.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

That would make sense. Again Man, I appreciate it. Hearing that Guys excitement is inspiring.

In the video there is a bit of land sticking out from the shore with some sort of structure showing. It is grainy as hell, but looks like Canaveral to me. Not too many other options for something like that on Florida’s east coast.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

In the video there is a bit of land sticking out from the shore with some sort of structure showing. It is grainy as hell, but looks like Canaveral to me. Not too many other options for something like that on Florida’s east coast.

Only someone with Local knowledge would be able to access that beachfront. Further South, it quickly turns into many Private waterfront Estates.
If it was Canaveral, not many people have been working it.
Makes sense.
You could approach it from boat though...

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

If I had to buy a detector today for <$500 what would you guys recommend? I don’t mean to hijack the thread or anything.

I ordered a Bounty Hunter from Wal Mart for 120 bucks just to get back in to the sport.
It works good, very unsophisticated but located a pipe wrench in my front yard a foot down.
As you approach the 500 mark I am sure there are better options.
But the Bounty Hunter is light, balanced and easy to understand.

#70 2 years ago

Check out the Nokta Macro Symplex.

Very good detector & not super expensive.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Only someone with Local knowledge would be able to access that beachfront. Further South, it quickly turns into many Private waterfront Estates.
If it was Canaveral, not many people have been working it.
Makes sense.
You could approach it from boat though...

I get the impression it is public accessible beach. His partner tells him to hurry with the vid before people near them see what it is.

#73 2 years ago

I found these at a garage sale 10+ years ago for $5 each.

The spectrum had a dead battery pack, and the coinmaster no battery. No chargers either, but I couldn’t pass on them for the price.

28A94CDE-5A88-4AE3-A5C3-A346D42233DA (resized).jpeg28A94CDE-5A88-4AE3-A5C3-A346D42233DA (resized).jpegEBB0E5AC-F06A-458E-A812-9A6914F59CB3 (resized).jpegEBB0E5AC-F06A-458E-A812-9A6914F59CB3 (resized).jpeg

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I get the impression it is public accessible beach. His partner tells him to hurry with the vid before people near them see what it is.

There is a National Law protecting the Publics access to water front including rivers and Beaches.
Rich people in Florida have fought this law like crazy, including illegal fences extending down into the surf.
Hard to remember but its something like 6 foot from the high water mark down to the water.
So the property owners have nearly killed it by destroying parking and pathways to the water.
You have a right to be on any beach near the water, but may have to walk miles to get there.
That is why sometimes its easier to take a Skiff to where you want to step out and detect.
I have been cussed out and threatened several times for using this right to access, most recently Emerald Isle NC.'The "No access" Crowd have moved from Florida into NC but have been shut down several times with parking and trails being forced upon the Owners, most recently in Corolla and Duck NC, as well as Wrightsville Beach.
Support your right to access the water.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I found these at a garage sale 10+ years ago for $5 each.
The spectrum had a dead battery pack, and the coinmaster no battery. No chargers either, but I couldn’t pass on them for the price.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Killer deal! That old Coinmaster looks close to my first detector, but mine had a white rather than red meter.
The battery problem would be easy to fix, the original Owners Manual would show what voltage is necessary.

#76 2 years ago

Shame this is no longer available on Netflix, was ready to watch it tonight. I have an alert set if it comes back, thanks!

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Cursory Research indicates those "8" coins he was finding were North of 5000 dollars a piece. BOOM!
If ya'll know what they were really worth let me know, APMEX doesn't sell them.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

There is a National Law protecting the Publics access to water front including rivers and Beaches.
Rich people in Florida have fought this law like crazy, including illegal fences extending down into the surf.
Hard to remember but its something like 6 foot from the high water mark down to the water.
So the property owners have nearly killed it by destroying parking and pathways to the water.
You have a right to be on any beach near the water, but may have to walk miles to get there.
That is why sometimes its easier to take a Skiff to where you want to step out and detect.
I have been cussed out and threatened several times for using this right to access, most recently Emerald Isle NC.'The "No access" Crowd have moved from Florida into NC but have been shut down several times with parking and trails being forced upon the Owners, most recently in Corolla and Duck NC, as well as Wrightsville Beach.
Support your right to access the water.

It depends on where you live. Here in Maryland, you would not be able to metal detect on my property here on the Chesapeake Bay, even if you came by skiff. I have a natural beach, and even though it is below the high water mark, I have exclusive riparian rights to it. Could be different in other states.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Killer deal! That old Coinmaster looks close to my first detector, but mine had a white rather than red meter.
The battery problem would be easy to fix, the original Owners Manual would show what voltage is necessary.

That XLT was a steal for sure. That’s the best under $500 detector. The one somebody else bought new, then quickly grew disillusioned with the hobby.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It depends on where you live. Here in Maryland, you would not be able to metal detect on my property here on the Chesapeake Bay, even if you came by skiff. I have a natural beach, and even though it is below the high water mark, I have exclusive riparian rights to it. Could be different in other states.

I will check out the current laws, I have a feeling you are wrong. Have been all up around those parts and even if people don't like it the ones threatening to have us arrested were never successful.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Shame this is no longer available on Netflix, was ready to watch it tonight. I have an alert set if it comes back, thanks!

A great series. You'll have to watch for sure.

#82 2 years ago

This is wanting me to break out my old Minelab and go detectoring around @DBLM's back yard!

IMG_2651 (resized).jpegIMG_2651 (resized).jpeg

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I will check out the current laws, I have a feeling you are wrong. Have been all up around those parts and even if people don't like it the ones threatening to have us arrested were never successful.

Florida beaches are public land. When we were in the Boston area I was surprised to see public parks on the coast that were only for the locals (parking anyway).

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

A Developer purchased a Point outside Wrightsville Beach and built a apartment tower. This cut off a Traditional flounder fishing spot for the locals.
Built a fence and a gate to where people couldn't access a place they had been going to for a hundred years or more.
So besides fighting it in Court, we took skiffs down there and threw out surf rods in the surf right in front of the eyesore.
They hated it and tried every way they knew to limit access.
When the Court case was won the folks went in and tore down the stupid access gate.
15 minutes later they were driving in with rods, nets and coolers just like the old days.
A lot of people want exclusive waterfront property, I get it.
Unfortunately, the Law doesn't work that way.
The last thing you want is this group of motivated individuals in the surf in front of your house challenging the Law, because they will win.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Florida beaches are public land. When we were in the Boston area I was surprised to see public parks on the coast that were only for the locals (parking anyway).

Thats just because it hasn't been challenged..YET.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Here are the Maryland Laws:
1. The State owns the land under the water, and the United States has an overriding interest in preserving public navigation.
2. The waterfront property owner has the right to accretion (such as a beach deposited by currents) and access, but a government may regulate access such as piers and wharves to assure that public rights are protected.
3. The right to extend and improve, where granted, transfers with the property.
4. The right to extend and improve does not allow a landowner to intrude on his neighbor’s rights.
5. The riparian owner has the “right of access” to and from the waters.

This even applies to folks building duck blinds in front of your property. It is a convoluted process involving how much waterfront you own or get permission to, but you can prevent people building duck blinds in front of your property. All dependent upon size of the navigable water, distance from property lines, etc. Took me two years to get my dock permit to go through. https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/Licenses/riparian.aspx

Edit: here is Maryland’s metal detecting laws for state lands. Seems restrictive, but I get it. https://dnr.maryland.gov/Publiclands/Pages/MetalDetecting.aspx

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

This is wanting me to break out my old Minelab and go detectoring around DBLM's back yard!
[quoted image]

Shit @fulltilt, you know you are permanently barred from up here . Scared you will talk all my Boss Hog and Old Carter back to TN.

Got to go rent a detector or buy a cheap one. With the new fencing going in, I have two pegs I need to go find here in the next few weeks. The wooden stakes from the survey decomposed in 2 years time. Salt water is hard on things.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-metal-detectors-/page/2?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.