(Topic ID: 294863)

Anyone use Franks' Famous Gottlieb's 80, 80A & 80B Battery Board?

By swampwiz

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201915637_788781011839077_8358226702712219912_n (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Yes, I have installed them on all my Gottlieb System 80 MPU’s that had batteries.

It is a small printed circuit board with coin battery holder, with the blocking diode installed on the board >>> ready to go. Super easy to install, simply remove the solder from all (4) battery pin holes, Frank’s battery pack plugs right in and just apply solder to the new pack pins.

Highly recommend!

#3 2 years ago

I think I'll get one, 5 years of life sounds great. My BH still has the original battery and it has always worked and shows no corrosion but it's time to yank it out. I was thinking of a memory cap but didn't sound like they hold a charge anywhere near this long.

#4 2 years ago

NVRAM and never look back.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

NVRAM and never look back.

I'd do that if I just had to plug the chip in, without unsoldering the old one and soldering in a socket with my blurry eyes. But with the trouble I had just recapping the sound board on my BH with the tight wire thru holes causing me problems I'd rather just slap this thing in since no matter what I'll have to remove the old battery anyway.

#6 2 years ago

NVram is the way to go. Especially if it's cheaper or around the same price. Why deal with batteries at all if you don't have to?

1 week later
    #7 2 years ago

I bought Frank's boards for all of my Gottlieb's - highly recommended.

#8 2 years ago

I install one on every GTB that comes through the shop.

Only do NVRAM if it is socketed, unless you are ready to repair the board if your soldering skills aren't up to par.

#9 2 years ago

Took me about two minutes to yank the old batt and put this board in. Chip soldering isn't a strength of mine. But man, the old battery must have been manufactured on the best day in Singapore ever. The freaking thing still looks brand new, not a speck of corrosion or leakage anywhere nor on the board around it. It's probably the original since '80 but I know for sure it's at least 30 years old as I've had the game that long. Rated 3.6 volts but measures 3.8! I don't even want to throw it away.

201915637_788781011839077_8358226702712219912_n (resized).jpg201915637_788781011839077_8358226702712219912_n (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-franks-famous-gottlieb-s-80-80a-amp-80b-battery-board?hl=mojoatomic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.