(Topic ID: 90472)

Anyone use Cointaker's "Retro" LEDs in an EM?

By bklossner

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SYS6
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20140512_182353.jpg
    1798636_873201822706624_1745319347685059585_n.jpg
    photo-3.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    IMG_7852.JPG
    IMG_7851.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Howdy,

Soooooo, has anyone installed those "Retro" LEDs, that Cointaker sells, in their EM?

Thoughts?

I'd *never* install LEDs in any of my EMs (only have two of them) but these "Retro" ones kind of sparked some interest. I think I've seen some before somewhere (Pacific Pinball Museum maybe), but can't remember.

#2 5 years ago

I picked up some of the ones that are supposed to be the replacement for GI lights. I got some with the plastic head; he said to use them under the plastics on the playfield, and some without the head for the backglass. I haven't tried them yet. I should pop them into my "Bowling Queen" and report back. I think LEDs when done correctly can definitely enhance an EM game. Using like-colored LEDs under the playfield inserts really make them pop.
    The "College Queens" game at Pinfest is an example of LEDs used incorrectly in an EM game. It looked like an airport approach beacon! Way too bright!

#3 5 years ago

Ah-hah! Found the example I came across. It's on another Pinside forum but I cannot remember which as I had only saved the image:

http://forum-s3.pinside.com/201402/1463904/192765-i.jpg

I really enjoy the yellow lights on the "10 Points" targets on each side.

#4 5 years ago

I like them in the backbox an under the playfield. They still are not right for me on the playfield it self where you can see them

I just use the retro warm ones. they are pretty close

--Jeff

#5 5 years ago

Thanks guys,

Yeah, that's my idea as well -- for use under the playfield, not for the plastics. Maybe I'll just order a couple and see what happens.

#6 5 years ago

I use them under the field as well, but never on the topside. They do help brighten up old muddy inserts.

#7 5 years ago

For recreating a traditional look, I swear by the two-LED, clear-domed incandescent style Coin Taker bulbs for GI. They really look great, especially on games that are normally dark (I believe they are about twice as bright as regular bulbs, but have a near-identical hue). While not an EM, I have them in my Bally Eight Ball and the game looks a lot nicer now than when it had standard incandescents. It's brighter, but in a good way.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

For recreating a traditional look, I swear by the two-LED, clear-domed incandescent style Coin Taker bulbs for GI. They really look great, especially on games that are normally dark (I believe they are about twice as bright as regular bulbs, but have a near-identical hue). While not an EM, I have them in my Bally Eight Ball and the game looks a lot nicer now than when it had standard incandescents. It's brighter, but in a good way.

Agreed. They're the same style as Retro (bulb dome) but more pleasing to the eye if in a visible area...and cheaper! Retros are too bright in "close to the player" areas like slings. The 2-LED ones though, are pretty much perfect. It's what Stern uses for GI now. Occasionally there will still be a "in my eyeline" bulb that's just too piercing & I'll swap it for a frosted dome.

#9 5 years ago

I like them under green and yellow inserts on my North Star. They are too bright under white and slightly yellowed /peach looking inserts. I also hate them under red inserts. Under red inserts it makes them look pink on my North Star.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I like them under green and yellow inserts on my North Star. They are too bright under white and slightly yellowed /peach looking inserts. I also hate them under red inserts. Under red inserts it makes them look pink on my North Star.

Totally agree Dan, they are better under those colors. I use incandescents under the 'white' (yellowed) inserts.

#11 5 years ago

I am using #47 bulbs on everything else. Should I try the red retro LEDs for the red inserts?

#12 5 years ago

On the later red inserts that are not translucent, they may look better. I know in my Sweet Hearts, the inserts had that early more pale color, so would wash out with too much light-LEDs. Your milage may vary......

#13 5 years ago

I put the warm ones behind the BG to help cut heat and under inserts. It seems they fit a little snugger and help with some of those old wiggly sockets. I used the red ones under the special inserts and imo it makes them look better. I still can't put them on the PF though, it takes from the character of the game.

#14 5 years ago

I will have to buy some red bulbs and try it out underneath the several red special inserts on North Star.

#15 5 years ago

i have found that the warm white ones work pretty good under white and yellow inserts... on dark red inserts, they work "ok", on light red, the completely wash out the color...

i have a few various colors on order to try...

#16 5 years ago

I've used LEDs on EMs, but it's truly a game by game basis, and only on the inserts. They make those inserts pop.

However, on EM games, an insert that isn't always lit can be a problem unless you get the non ghosting LEDs.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

I put the warm ones behind the BG to help cut heat and under inserts. It seems they fit a little snugger and help with some of those old wiggly sockets. I used the red ones under the special inserts and imo it makes them look better. I still can't put them on the PF though, it takes from the character of the game.

i did try them under plastics, and swmbo simply said, "no"...

they certainly brighten things up under plastics though... but it's too bright...

#18 5 years ago

Used them on occasional inserts - I put a full set of retros in my Bank Shot but decided they were too much.
    Ended up with just a yellow one in the number 1 insert as it is a key shot.
    This is what it looked like for a few days!

IMG_7851.JPG IMG_7852.JPG
    #19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I will have to buy some red bulbs and try it out underneath the several red special inserts on North Star.

make sure those special lamps are not powered through those ceramic (sand) resistors as they will burn up (24vac).

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

make sure those special lamps are not powered through those ceramic (sand) resistors as they will burn up (24vac).

I think the only special light with the mentioned ceramic resistor is the one between the 5 pop bumpers. I will have to be careful and check before I order.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Used them on occasional inserts - I put a full set of retros in my Bank Shot but decided they were too much.
    Ended up with just a yellow one in the number 1 insert as it is a key shot.
    This is what it looked like for a few days!

IMG_7851.JPG 182 KB

IMG_7852.JPG 191 KB

y'know... i like that... a lot... i would have left it that way...

if the original designer had led's like that available to him, he would have wanted to use them*... it would have made sense from a "look at me! put money in me!" standpoint, they are bright and vivid, and they draw the eye... after all, they didn't make the lighting drab on purpose, they were making do with what they had...

* sadly, the accounting department would have nixed the expense on the bom...

#22 5 years ago

I have done full LED conversions for two different EM's… and I used Coin Taker retro in my first game. I like them, I was amazingly pleased with them when I put them in. Then- fast forward a year, and I decided to try out a comet pinball product, the Optix Maximus-

Hands down- this product kills.

Just IMHO- The coin taker retro frosted still are too bright as point sources and you get a bit of direct bulb glare. They are also a little blue (but in my game that worked well..and I used the bright white so I cannot speak to if they have other colors available).

The Optix Maximus is available in three versions of white. I used the sunlight on a Grand Prix, and now I want to redo the GI in my Super Spin with these. They are amazing. Bright, but not too bright (brighter than the Retro but they spill light to the side more than up).

Here is a photo from my phone. Its NOT blown out… just the camera.

I did these for the back glass in most regions and got fancy color matching other places… but I really really like this product.

I typically play in a dark room, and its not at all to bright, and with the lights in the room on its also fine. Wish the camera did a better job, because NONE of the blown out bright spots appear anything close to blown out in person, just nice islands of light around the bulbs.

PLAY with color matching. Blues and Yellows can POP with bright whites, oranges and reds need sunlight or more yellowish, and some earthy tones require a more yellow light. I played and played and ordered twice to get the white color right. Totally worth it.

photo-2.JPG

#23 5 years ago

Ah… this helps.

Super spin on right uses coin taker Retro frosted for GI

Grand Prix on left has sunlight Optimus

Pix make these look overdone and blown out. NOT the case. Just the camera trying to get enough exposure. PHONE=crap pic.

photo-3.JPG

#24 5 years ago

I just tried some warm retro LEDs on my "Bowling Queen". I put two under each of the metal strip "slingshots". Nah, too bright! Then I tried one under one of the white playfield inserts. It was greenish looking. Not good. Back to the drawing board on GI LEDs for EMs.

#25 5 years ago

you may want to try our 6mm Domed encapsulated LEDs...In Warm, I have been pleased with how close they look to incandescent. They come in 8mm, and frosted. Id be happy to send you the 8 assorted, if you want to pick up the shipping.....just shoot me a PM.
    Brighter then that, and less then what you tried, is also a 2 LED...they will arrive in about a month...

1 week later
    #26 4 years ago

have been experimenting with leds in all of my em's..

like them behind the score reels on 70s games but they don't seem to suit the 60s games..

they look cool under the to arches on the 60s games and certain features that need to be highlighted during game play such this on cover girl

1798636_873201822706624_1745319347685059585_n.jpg
    #27 4 years ago

around the score windows and under the top arches..

20140512_182353.jpg
    9 months later
    #28 4 years ago

Question,,,, I'm new to LED's, but on EM's, can you use regular LED's or do you need "non-ghosting" ones?

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from apc7654:

Question,,,, I'm new to LED's, but on EM's, can you use regular LED's or do you need "non-ghosting" ones?

Non-ghosting are what I use. I have found there is too much voltage leak thru many of the controlled circuits causing brief pulse of the LED that you can see.

#30 4 years ago

I am not an LED person normally but I have been using them a lot in EMs lately mainly to keep them a little cooler. Here is the combo I like best. It keeps the game looking original for the most part, while making the inserts pop and not causing strobing or headaches. I use Comet LEDs by the way, not Cointaker. They are $0.28 each in lots of 100.

- Single warm white LED, frosted, flat top in the backbox, under yellow inserts and in those very few GI location where you can see the bulb directly.

- Single cool white LED, under all other inserts

- Good old #44 bulbs in the GI.

That said, I have seen some EMs that used horrendously bright LEDs and were rendered unplayable. Headache city. EMs if done correctly can please even a purist like me.

#31 4 years ago

I have replaced all backbox and insert lighting to Cointaker retro premium LED's. No ghosting and brings vibrant color and lighting to the inserts and backglasses. It made the Old Chicago backglass artwork stunning. I also like how they brighten up the score reels. I don't like how they look on the playfield. They are still to bright and remind me of runway lights. If someone ever makes one that looks "normal" for an EM, maybe then, I would try them.

#32 4 years ago

I use colour matched under some of the inserts that have faded - typically the red for double bonus. Some of the yellows and green can be brought back to look much nice and unfaded with this approach.

I also use them in areas that remain on for a long time - "game over" and "double bonus"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 21.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 11.95
    $ 43.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside