(Topic ID: 161142)

Anyone use a vinyl cutter to make frisket masks to paint playfields/backglasses?

By ForceFlow

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've had this idea kicking around in the back of my mind for a while now, so I figured I would finally ask since I could probably make use of it sometime soon. Has anyone used a vinyl cutter to make frisket masks for painting playfields?

The idea would be to have a 1 scan of the playfield, then draw the masked areas in photoshop/illustrator, send that to the vinyl cutter to get an exact mask (rather than cutting by hand and either messing up the mask or cutting into the playfield), position the mask on the playfield, then use an airbrush on the masked area.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what cutter and masking material did you use?

#2 7 years ago

Excellent! I've thought about this same approach for spot repairs on backglasses.

Would love to hear about anyone's experiences in this arena.

#3 7 years ago

I print and cut vinyl and there is stencil material that I've used that can be cut with a plotter versus using removable vinyl. That may be safer on a playfield for touch ups. If you want to give it a whirl send me your files and I'll cut them on stencil material for you and you can see how it goes. I have a Roland VS-300i printer/Cutter. I'd be happy to help if it benefits the community.

#4 7 years ago

Would any of the cheapo consumer-grade vinyl cutters do the trick, like a Cricut? Will they cut frisket?

#5 7 years ago

Yes! Please check out the Silhouette Cameo club on Pinside.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club

There you will find discussions on masking material, cutter settings, software etc.

I use a Doxie scanner. There are a few HP ScanJet 4670 on eBay right now. The less stitching the better. For software I use Inkscape (free).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-a-vinyl-cutter-to-make-frisket-masks-to-paint-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.