(Topic ID: 272895)

Anyone use a chainsaw much?

By JohnnyPinball007

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“I use a chainsaw:”

• under 30 days a year 44 votes
      61%
    • over 30 days a year 14 votes
      19%
    • never 12 votes
      17%
    • what is a chainsaw? 2 votes
      3%

(72 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5510C5F1-6A7A-492B-9863-1B05F49532B7 (resized).jpeg
    20200714_124825 (resized).jpg
    0437500B-5EDE-4132-90CD-C385D84222F8 (resized).jpeg
    20131107_205941 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6990 (resized).JPG
    Chainsaw (resized).jpg
    1594651018726147832995 (resized).jpg
    20200427_134013 (resized).jpg
    5J5A2430 (resized).JPG

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

The main reason I am posting this is that I am frugal and trying to find a good deal on bulk rolls of 100ft chain near me, and Google is not turning anything up.

The man cave has a nice fireplace, and I cut tons of wood for it, and I also have customers for work that I saw a lot for.

Saw chains at Lowes and Home Depot have risen a lot lately, and so I have already purchased and set up what I need to make my own loops off 100ft rolls to save money.

Now I am just trying to find those rolls locally to save shipping.

Anyway, this could be entertaining anyway, no pics but a few years ago I did have 11 stitches because of a saw, and I have seen pics where someone tried to saw a tree and it landed on their neighbors house.

#2 3 years ago

I have 4 saws 16" up to 36" and a polesaw. I have my chains made at a local outdoor shop. A 16 inch chain is $16, a 36 inch chain is $36. I use Oregon square ground chisel. On my saws over 20" I use a full skip square ground chisel.
    We have an insert downstairs in our den and a fireplace in the living room. I burn 6 to 7 pickup loads a year.

#3 3 years ago

Wouldn't it be easier getting a proper fire-wood machine?

This is much preferable, to having to sharpen chains all the frekkin time.
    I tried a chain driven fire-wood machine, but it's such a pita, esp since i store my logs in gravel/sandy dirt, wich makes short use of chains.

Regarding normal chainsaw work.....
    How many saws/swords do you have?
    Five?
    If you sharpen them regularly they will last a long time. I usually have five-eight chains for each saw and a couple of ripping chains for milling. That's like 20-30 chains total.
    Why make a fuzz?

#4 3 years ago

Home Depot and Lowes chains suck, plain and simple.
    I get mine from a local mower repair shop I get the professional chain he sells.
    He makes them to fit your saw and the difference is unbelievable.

#5 3 years ago

Having an outdoor wood burner I'd say its fair that we cut a lot of wood.

5J5A2430 (resized).JPG5J5A2430 (resized).JPG

Not cheap, but we've always used Stihl saws and blades with good results. We always keep a sharpener with us as some wood (locust) is more dense than others -- plus some dirt always finds its way to the blade eventually.

Over the last year dad has been using an electric/battery powered Milwaukee saw and he seems to like it. Its good for the smaller stuff but I've not made the transition yet.

#6 3 years ago

Yeah, Stihl saws are the best. Had mine for 20+ years with minimal repairs. 16 in. bar

#7 3 years ago

Use depends how many trees fall on my fence . Had a storm back in late 80s here in Va . Power down full week . Driveway looked like kids game " pick up sticks " took 8 10 hour days to clear access . No wood stove then so buddy from work kept warm couple years .

For me I buy Stiel chains . Watch for fence wire hidden in log ( embedded in bark over time ) . Dull your best chain in blink of a eye .

Stay safe Shane

#8 3 years ago

I have a couple of Stihl saws and I only buy Stihl chain. I have 4 chains on hand and sharpen when needed. Why do you need with rolls of chain? One of my saws has the original chain on it from the 70's. It's been sharpened hundreds of times.

#9 3 years ago

Side note: Stay away from big box store saws!

My first chainsaw was a Husqvarna 440e from Lowe's. The stupid thing never ran right. We had to adjust the idle all the time and it never seemed to help much. Took it to a professional repair shop and he said that the box stores get special models made for them out of cheap parts.

I bought a Husqvarna 450 and never looked back. I had to adjust the idle within the first couple of hours of use and now it starts on the second pull each time. I've cut several dead ash trees ☹️ and tons of small stuff with no issues!

#10 3 years ago

Should mention best to source realfuel.org . The ethanol based fuel really bad on the motor unless run fuel tank and carborator dry . Stabil good idea even with all oil based gas . Saws that dont start when needed much frustration .

Shane

#11 3 years ago

I have two Dewalt electrics (12 and 16 in) and an electric Ego pole saw with an extension that gets up to about 20 feet. Sure, you don't want to fall big timber with these but as a homeowner with a few acres and a lot of trees these work just fine. The Dewalt flexvolt 16 inch is actually a helluva saw.

#12 3 years ago

I used to use a gas powered saw.

Then i bought a Harbor Freight electrical. Way easy to use. Pretty powerful too. For the price, it was a no brainer for me.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I used to use a gas powered saw.
    Then i bought a Harbor Freight electrical. Way easy to use. Pretty powerful too. For the price, it was a no brainer for me.

Tools from harbor freight with moving parts scare me. Especially if those parts are sharp.

But then again, i usually push tools to their limits, so it's more of my own fault.

#14 3 years ago

I buy Stihl full chisel chains. If you cut clean hard wood it is amazing how long they last. You just do a little filing to keep them sharp. Dirt, bark with dirt, hitting the ground, or rotted wood is what dulls them. I would not buy a roll unless you are cutting a lot of wood. Like 30 cords at a time.

#15 3 years ago

Not sure why you would need so much chain. I cut about 10 cords a year and I replace the chain every 2 years. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

We get about 90% of our heat from wood. Unfortunately the town shut down the wood pile after somebody hurt themselves. Now I just get stuff dumped on the front lawn. Trees guys are always happy dump it for free around here. Only bad part is you can't be as selective and you're stuck with a load of wood on the lawn for a week or 2.

20200427_134013 (resized).jpg20200427_134013 (resized).jpg

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

Dirt, bark with dirt, hitting the ground, or rotted wood is what dulls them.

We get a lot of hidden metal here in the burbs. Some not so hidden too. Might try to carve this guy into a bug...

1594651018726147832995 (resized).jpg1594651018726147832995 (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

Still use a John Deer 55V I bought in 1981 (these were made by Echo). Went through several bars/clutches, never let me down. Run over it with a truck and had to replace several parts with the orange Echo Brand. There is an Art to properly sharpening a chain, the key is keeping enough oil going to the bar.

#18 3 years ago

Have two 16" saws, one is a 90's Eager Beaver the other a Poulan from 2012. I despise the Poulan as it is the most finicky chainsaw on the planet and I'm constantly tweaking the fuel mixture depending on the outside temp and humidity. The Eager Beaver? Pump it three times and pull the handle and its ready to work.

I sharpen my own chains and pretty deft with a file, only had to replace the chain 2 or 3 times in the long time I have owned the Eager Beaver. I don't cut wood often but when I do things get crazy. Dropped 9 large Ash trees this spring an cut them up for splitting. The two largest topped 100 feet, killed by ash beetles.

#19 3 years ago

Go Stihl or go home...

#20 3 years ago

"I'm a lumberjack baby...
    I'm gonna cut you down to size"

-Jackyl

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

[quoted image]
    Not cheap, but we've always used Stihl saws and blades with good results. We always keep a sharpener with us as some wood (locust) is more dense than others -- plus some dirt always finds its way to the blade eventually.

Your wood pile picture gives me PTSD.
    When I was in high school my dad would get full logs delivered by a semi truck with a crane on it and I had to cut and split it all by hand. Using nothing but a Farm Boss and a Monster Maul, maybe some gloves. Thankfully I did not have to stack it

#22 3 years ago

I use all Stihl equipment other than my chainsaws.

Best saw I ever owned was a Husky 455 I think it is! I have run it for years without a problem and cuts awesome!!! In 15 years all I ever did was clean it, oil it and keep the chains sharp.

I think maybe one or two bars. But I am also not easy on my equipment either. I take care of it, but it gets used when needed.

#23 3 years ago

Here is the desert I use a chain saw maybe twice a year.
    We really only have two kinds of trees on the property. Both are pretty hard wood and slow growing. The Palo Verdi trees are very pretty green shade trees that are native and you basically just trim them up to make them look nice.
    The other is native mesquite.
    The mesquite we will actually use the for grilling or even chip it for the smoker.

#24 3 years ago

I bought a Ryobi Rechargeable 10 inch. I have had all kinds of chain saws when I built my log home in 2000. Stihl, Husquvarna, Poulan,Homelite you name it. This little saw, with a full chisel chain, is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Extremely light, strong (especially with the big battery) No fricken gasloine or oil mix mess. I wanted something I could throw in the car and go up the mountain and not have to die of fumes on the way. (really bad with change in altitude) Very impressed with it.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Your wood pile picture gives me PTSD.

Gives me a "woody"

#26 3 years ago

I have a Husqvarna Rancher with an eighteen inch bar, that is it. Just use it to keep the small woods on the property clean mostly from fallen trees, and to cut up some firewood. Get the chains wholesale for about $5 a piece. I sharpen them, but sometimes I just throw them out and put a fresh one on since they are so cheap

#27 3 years ago

I did treework for years. Husqvarna 372 XP was my favorite. .058" chain with a 20"bar. 71cc Comfortable to swing around all day and fast chain speed. I believe that it was replaced with a new model recently though. It is $900 saw new but if you are mechanical and could find one on craigs list or something you would be happy with it. I also own a Stihl MS 362 which is great too and has a 59cc engine.

If you don't hit the ground much and are mainly cutting log wood a chain will last you quite some time. Go to a power equipment store to buy. If you find a store with both Stihl and Husqvarna they won't be bias and they could probably help you get what you need.

#28 3 years ago

After spending more time trying to get my little gas powered Stihl running than the jobs often took, I bought a 40v B&D 12" chainsaw abut 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. It is so convenient to do little trimming and surprising adequate for fair size tree cutting. Far exceeded my expectations when I bought it. I purchased an Oregon spare chain, but haven't needed it yet after 3 years. A bulk roll of 100ft chain would last me a few hundred years at this rate.

#29 3 years ago

I have 2 Husky 365's with 20 inch bars.

Between work and personal I average cutting around 90 cords a year.

(me and some friends run about 30 cords a year through the splitter).

I suck at sharpening chains. I can never keep them sawing straight, and that is a problem when cutting wood up to 48 inch in diameter.

Unless I hit metal a new chain is awesome for around 8 cords.

Years ago I purchased a Oregon electric chain sharpener, and that is hit or miss. Sometimes works great, sometimes will not cut crap. I do know how to take it easy and not burn up a chain.

Because of hidden nails and other hidden metal I go through about 10 chains a year.

I already have everything to make chain loops off a 100 foot roll, and just trying to find a good deal on rolls locally.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I average cutting around 90 cords a year

Holy crap. That explains everything.

#31 3 years ago

It's official: JohnnyPinball007 has big wood!

#32 3 years ago

Occasionally...

Chainsaw (resized).jpgChainsaw (resized).jpg
    #33 3 years ago

(me and some friends run about 30 cords a year through the splitter).

You sell the firewood? Could make some good pinball money selling firewood. I should be more ambitious, it's amazing what people will pay for a small bundle of logs at the supermarket.

#34 3 years ago

Stihl is a great brand. Won’t own anything else. Chainsaws, blowers, weed eaters etc. Big plus is dealers usually have the parts and can work on them. Find what ruins the chain is when you cut into dirt. Happens sometimes.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

You sell the firewood?

I did when I was a teen.

Now I just like it for exercise and almost free heat. (costs mainly are chains and gas).

#36 3 years ago

Now I just like it for exercise and almost free heat. (costs mainly are chains and gas).

Yeah, I also enjoy the exercise. This year is kinda weird. With the wood pile closed I got all my exercise in 2 week long spurts. At least I won't run out of the dry stuff this year.

#37 3 years ago

I do. Tip, never hit the dirt.

#38 3 years ago

Stihl for me. Even get their custom chainsaw hat every year.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

[quoted image]
    Over the last year dad has been using an electric/battery powered Milwaukee saw and he seems to like it. Its good for the smaller stuff but I've not made the transition yet.

The woodshed is in excellent condition. Whats growing in that greenhouse?

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

Side note: Stay away from big box store saws!
    My first chainsaw was a Husqvarna 440e from Lowe's. The stupid thing never ran right. We had to adjust the idle all the time and it never seemed to help much. Took it to a professional repair shop and he said that the box stores get special models made for them out of cheap parts.
    I bought a Husqvarna 450 and never looked back. I had to adjust the idle within the first couple of hours of use and now it starts on the second pull each time. I've cut several dead ash trees ☹️ and tons of small stuff with no issues!

When a company also makes a dirt Bike beware!

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Whats growing in that greenhouse?

Right now nothing, but in the spring it is full of flowers. They usually sell out by Mother's Day.

IMG_6990 (resized).JPGIMG_6990 (resized).JPG

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Lol. Is that really true? I'll run just about anything Honda. They make killer engines. We have multiple Honda quads, a dirt bike, a pressure washer, a tiller, and a couple of their vehicles. Should I be worried?

#43 3 years ago

Waiting for someone to post pics of some bad ass chain saw sculptures they did.

#44 3 years ago

The main reason I am posting this is that I am frugal and trying to find a good deal on bulk rolls of 100ft chain near me, and Google is not turning anything up.
    The man cave has a nice fireplace, and I cut tons of wood for it, and I also have customers for work that I saw a lot for.
    Saw chains at Lowes and Home Depot have risen a lot lately, and so I have already purchased and set up what I need to make my own loops off 100ft rolls to save money.
    Now I am just trying to find those rolls locally to save shipping.
    Anyway, this could be entertaining anyway, no pics but a few years ago I did have 11 stitches because of a saw, and I have seen pics where someone tried to saw a tree and it landed on their neighbors house.

Johnny, your randomness never ceases to amaze me.

We gotta go get a drink sometime.

#45 3 years ago

Check out baileys online. They sell loops so cheap that messing with rolls is not worth it. Picked up Lgx 72 link 50 kerf 3/8 pitch for 8.99/loop not long ago.

#46 3 years ago

I run a stihl ms 362 and I cut quite a bit we burn about 6 cords a year. I installed this wood stove downstairs 7yrs ago and it will hold my whole house at about 68 so the furnace only has to supplement it.

20131107_205941 (resized).jpg20131107_205941 (resized).jpg
    #47 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

They also make sewing machines.

#48 3 years ago

Did you ever wonder...……….

Frightened girl runs to car, turns key, it doesn't start.

Homicidal maniac chasing her. one pull and the chainsaw roars to life.

We all know it's the other way around.

ah yes.....movies.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

Lol. Is that really true? I'll run just about anything Honda. They make killer engines. We have multiple Honda quads, a dirt bike, a pressure washer, a tiller, and a couple of their vehicles. Should I be worried?

Point taken Hougie

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

In fairness high quality bikes and sewing machines

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-a-chainsaw-much?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.