Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FlashGordonTopSide (resized).jpg
IMG_20180210_162243315 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wamonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have posted this in the Flash Gordon group and the VID's guide to upgrading flippers but no answer. I have a lot of comments to not do and just rebuild the flippers but I want to still see if anyone upgraded their flippers and what they bought to make it work.

Any help out there on what I need to buy to upgrade the flippers, my mechs are gone this was a project machine so I am trying to fix it all up and I thought this may be a fun addition to the whole restore / rebuild.

I appreciate the purists who say don't do it....but I am looking for the one who did it not the comments not to do it.

Hope someone can comment and help me out, not saying I will upgrade it but I would like to know what exactly to buy including coils stops etc.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

I should also mention that the mechs fit as-is on the lower PF without any modifications. However on the upper PF you have to move and re-wire several light sockets to make room for the mechanism. I think I also had to grind away a small section of the mech for clearance but this was long enough ago I don't recall the details. Just letting you know the upper flipper will be more involved than just centering the mech and bolting it in.
Also to center the mech, I took a clear plastic sandwich bag and cut a ~1.5" strip of plastic and wrapped that around the flipper bushing and then inserted the mechanism into the PF using the thickness of multiple wraps of the plastic bag as a spacer to center the mech. Then I bolted the mech into the PF. Very important to have these perfectly centered or the geometry or flipper distance will change.
I also used the WPC unmarked flippers from Pinball Life in Yellow. Don't like the looks of the fat tipped Ballys - just an opinion, YMMV. The before (original Bally linear) and after (WPC conversion) flipper tip to tip was within 0.03" from my recollection, within a margin of measuring error.

Thanks so much for posting ... man so many people said I was crazy and I know FG is a tough pin and I thought a WPC flipper mech could help.

Can you take a pic of the Playfield with Williams bats on it?

I am curious what that is like.

If it’s OK I may have some questions for ya and I may PM you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wamonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-upgrade-their-flash-gordon-flippers-to-modern-wpc?tu=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.