(Topic ID: 115460)

Anyone upgrade the processor on Wizard of Oz?

By nosro

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinchroma
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

64f844_1606972.jpg
cool_computer_setup_5.jpg
atari800.jpg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

But the fact that he made extremely incorrect statements trying to purposefully negate what I said is actually boastful.

That "extremely incorrect statement" of a modified bios? Your defense was that you added a JJP logo lol.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

This is the only thing I wanted to do
» YouTube video

That is one of the cooler custom videos included in the game.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That is one of the cooler custom videos included in the game.

Too bad it doesn't play by default on an ECWOZLE

#54 9 years ago

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

That "extremely incorrect statement" of a modified bios? Your defense was that you added a JJP logo lol.

Go back and re-read the thread. Way more done to it than just a logo. But again nothing debilitating or proprietary. Just not default or standard + heavy use of uefi which is by definition custom

#56 9 years ago

I for one totally enjoy the super fast boot speed

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I for one totally enjoy the super fast boot speed

Took a ton of tinkering to get it that low especially with not a lot of horsepower.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I did it before having the game

Me too. Cracked it open like a walnut way before mine was built. The thing that baffles me is how I've owned the game for well over a year, yet I've been too lazy to drag an ESX server over to the game and run the software in a VM attached to the game. Pure laziness.

#59 9 years ago

Vsphere and esxi server traditionally didn't have usb support like their desktop counterparts. That may have changed as I haven't looked recently so if you wanted to run the game in a vm you would need to make sure you have that.

I can't attest to video performance in a vm though. Doubt it would be great.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I worked directly with msi to create a custom image for their bios as they dont allow it normally. Other manu's may but I don't think gigabyte, asus, azrock or Intel allow that either.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

The bios on WoZ is absolutely custom as I stated above. Do you think that JJP logo just happen to come from an off the shelf motherboard we bought at staples?

The ASUS MyLogo2™ utility lets you customize the boot logo image that appears on screen during the Power‑On Self-Tests (POST).

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1003347/

ASUS mobos have had this capability for years.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I've been too lazy to drag an ESX server over to the game and run the software in a VM attached to the game. Pure laziness.

This sounds like alot of work. I didn't do anything like this

#62 9 years ago

I'd love to see that actually!

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

The ASUS MyLogo2™ utility lets you customize the boot logo image that appears on screen during the Power‑On Self-Tests (POST).
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1003347/
ASUS mobos have had this capability for years.

Windows app performed manually. Ours is a complete bios flash single step. We don't go into each motherboard and hand configure the bios. We have a custom bios file with a bootable flash tool. It would be entirely too time consuming to go that route just to change the logo

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nah by default on 75th only. But quickly changed if you know how

Wait there is a way I can make the 75th logo play on my WOZ? Please share PM is just fine

#65 9 years ago

B9 replaced the video file for attract.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Took a ton of tinkering to get it that low especially with not a lot of horsepower.

My $180 Ecs Liva 2gb ram powers on and has my plex home theater loaded in windows 8.1 in under 10 seconds. 5 of that is running plex after windows has booted. See, your mistake is not using windows

On a serious note, have you guys looked at using something like the bay trail stuff for the platform? I bet it would do fine and reduce costs significantly.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

My $180 Ecs Liva 2gb ram powers on and has my plex home theater loaded in windows 8.1 in under 10 seconds. 5 of that is running plex after windows has booted. See, your mistake is not using windows
On a serious note, have you guys looked at using something like the bay trail stuff for the platform? I bet it would do fine and reduce costs significantly.

Original dev machines were BT (atom) and the performance was horrible. Couldn't keep up with what we were asking it to do and the video performance was like 3fps. Had to switch away but honestly cost on the PC platform is not large at all (sans the monitor of course).

*edit* playing with Haswell and ivybridge based procs now. Not a significant improvement given how little we are taxing the system as it is.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I doubt it took 18 months. Just instead that no one cares to bother with it. Huge waste of time.

No kidding! WHO cares? It's not a ATM.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

No kidding! WHO cares? It's not a ATM.

First thing we agree on. It's hardly a crowning achievement. Why even bother posting it?

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

B9 replaced the video file for attract.

And where would I get that file?

#71 9 years ago

It's on every game, only actually plays on 75th editions. Included in an update.

#72 9 years ago

This may be an ignorant question, but what happens down the road if the HASP dongle has a problem and doesn't work and JJP isn't around to sell a replacement (hopefully that doesn't happen, but it's not out of the realm of possibility), then what? Do these dongles have an expected lifespan?

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from danisme:

This may be an ignorant question, but what happens down the road if the HASP dongle has a problem and doesn't work and JJP isn't around to sell a replacement (hopefully that doesn't happen, but it's not out of the realm of possibility), then what? Do these dongles have an expected lifespan?

If there is sufficient demand and need, someone will crack it, just like nucore (which also used a dongle).

#74 9 years ago

Pinchroma - I appreciate you coming here to demystify this. It's nice to hear how JJP is thinking long term and also not attempting to re-invent anything unnecessarily!

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Pinchroma - I appreciate you coming here to demystify this. It's nice to hear how JJP is thinking long term and also not re-invent anything unnecessarily!

You're welcome. I'm not a proponent of reinventing the wheel for no other reason but "we can". I'd rather use publicly available tools that are tried true and tested by thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people. If at some point we are unable to find or use something readily available to suit our needs we will create that tool as such but to recreate what's right in front of us is a horrible waste of resources both time and money. Both of which are better spent on the playable pieces.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I'm not a proponent of reinventing the wheel for no other reason but "we can".

You need to take a certain Mr. Popadiuk out to lunch sometime and have a nice talk....

#77 9 years ago

Have you guys seen the WOZ that plays the Beatles instead of the WOZ sound track?? I guess the brick claim isn't valid. It's been HACKED!

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I guess the brick claim isn't valid.

What brick claim ?

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Have you guys seen the WOZ that plays the Beatles instead of the WOZ sound track?? I guess the brick claim isn't valid. It's been HACKED!

If you're referring to Lorenzo's game he designed the sound system and is piping audio into that system via his interface. LOL. Btw the brick comment was around flashing bios. I think you just unilaterally proved you're not that tech savvy

#80 9 years ago

Pinball Browser: The Next Generation...

I'd been told the assets were encrypted... never bothered to go look since I wanted to see them in-game first anyway, but I'd be surprised if they weren't. Who has the hacked machine?

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You need to take a certain Mr. Popadiuk out to lunch sometime and have a nice talk....

It's funny because I actually did speak to him like 2 years ago for like 3 hrs on the phone. He had questions about linux and the use of a raspberry pi. He then started saying that I needed to sign an NDA before we spoke specifics and I was like NOPE, not interested any longer .

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Pinball Browser: The Next Generation...
I'd been told the assets were encrypted... never bothered to go look since I wanted to see them in-game first anyway, but I'd be surprised if they weren't. Who has the hacked machine?

Nah that's lorenzo's game. He is constantly piping music through his woz. Which anyone can do if you purchase his awesome addons.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nah that's lorenzo's game. He is constantly piping music through his woz. Which anyone can do if you purchase his awesome addons.

Yeah I'll be picking one up if I stay in on the hobbit.

#84 9 years ago

I don't understand any of this- I going downstairs and play WOZ

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'd been told the assets were encrypted

just look at the delta updates, not encrypted.

#86 9 years ago

I mean the original Clonezilla image from the initial download may possibly be encrypted, but updates and the filesystem are definitely not.

#87 9 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 16.95
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-upgrade-the-processor-on-wizard-of-oz/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.