(Topic ID: 143414)

Anyone update the speakers on their MMR?

By cleland

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pizzaman13
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1030548b.jpg
009 (resized).JPG
007 (resized).JPG
20171024_202110 (resized).jpg
IMG_0728 (resized).JPG
IMG_0700 (resized).JPG
IMG_0699 (resized).JPG
IMG_0696 (resized).JPG
Drawing1 (resized).png
SpeakerUpgrade02 (resized).JPG
SpeakerUpgrade (resized).JPG
20160830_191006 (resized).jpg
20160830_191851 (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisnack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 7 years ago

So I upgraded my MMR tonight. Results were impressive.

I did the Rockford 5.25 speakers and then a Kenwood 8" low profile subwoofer. The speakers in series obviously reduced volume so I had to go higher than normal. Definitely more clear in the highs, never heard the snare in main theme and Merlins Magic is defiantly nicer as well with the twinkling.

To get the sub to fit properly, I had to remove the mount plate and cut a bigger hole (ugh)... cutting a round hole with a scroll saw sucks balls. I'd recommend finding a hole saw if possible. I'll be adding a grill to the bottom of the cabinet to make it nice and tidy.

However upon first fire up and game, holy crap totally worth it. Clears the trolls without issue. My shaker hasn't come yet so that will be installed whenever it actually ships.

I didn't want an external sub and wanted a cleaner more integrated install. I was going to add a plate amp if needed however the stock 50 watts seem to do just fine. The sub is a "wee" but larger than the stock one

IMG_0696 (resized).JPGIMG_0696 (resized).JPG

IMG_0699 (resized).JPGIMG_0699 (resized).JPG

#74 7 years ago

Here was stock vs Kenwood

IMG_0700 (resized).JPGIMG_0700 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#75 7 years ago

So I've taken this to another level now...

I have a monoblock amp powering the sub now so I have more control over it. I wired up a second 12v 30a power supply for the amp and to power some future led lights as well. The amp trigger is fired off the main MMR power supply so it doesn't turn on without the game on.

I also ordered yet another new sub for it and found a sealed enclosure box that should fit under the trolls. This should clean up the sound considerably, be more effecient and direct more sound out instead of shaking things in the cabinet. I should have that early next week and will report back on how it sounds.

Yup external would have been cheaper but this is a much cooler setup

1 week later
#76 7 years ago

Wiring is all cleaned up and the new sub box fit. Just barely clears the trolls, but it works. Does not touch the troll brackets and does not interfere with the playfield in any way. Sound is much improved over free air and with the amp I have nice control over the sound.

IMG_0728 (resized).JPGIMG_0728 (resized).JPG

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I'm interested in how you wired the amplifier to switch on with the pinball machine.

So seperate 30a 12v power supply to power amp and anything else i want to add rather than mess with stock stuff, plus the stock power supply isn't powerful enough to run a amplifier.

I used a 12v trigger from the stock converter to the amplifier (remote trigger input), however in order for that to work you need to tie the grounds together. So there is a ground tie between the stock converter and the additional 30a converter. Once those ground are tied then you can mix the 12v signals.

Hope that makes sense.

4 weeks later
#79 7 years ago

Just wanted to update that this setup has been working really well. The only rattle i have is actually the channel for the glass on the left side. Haven't figured out the best way to resolve that. The overall sound quality is excellent and having the subwoofer in the enclosure helped the performance and rattles.

Probably going to do the same setup on my other pins as well now.

All that being said, an external sub would definitely be easier

7 months later
#110 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

A few months ago I've asked that specific question to Doug S., and he said it is on their to-do list, but at the time they were swamped preparing for the AFMr release. Hopefully an update is coming soon, but another request or two from other Pinsiders may help it move up their priority list......

I submitted it a support ticket on it previously as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisnack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-update-the-speakers-on-their-mmr?tu=chrisnack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.