(Topic ID: 143414)

Anyone update the speakers on their MMR?

By cleland

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pizzaman13
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1030548b.jpg
009 (resized).JPG
007 (resized).JPG
20171024_202110 (resized).jpg
IMG_0728 (resized).JPG
IMG_0700 (resized).JPG
IMG_0699 (resized).JPG
IMG_0696 (resized).JPG
Drawing1 (resized).png
SpeakerUpgrade02 (resized).JPG
SpeakerUpgrade (resized).JPG
20160830_191006 (resized).jpg
20160830_191851 (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 7 years ago

I know just enough electronics to get myself into trouble and I am currently very confused by the wiring of the speakers in MMr: Wiring speakers in series or in parallel is only a consideration when you have the same audio coming out of both speakers. The audio chip used (if it is in fact a TPA3116) is a 2 channel amp and is designed to power 2 speakers (each 4ohms or greater). So I would have thought you could just pop in lower impedance speakers no problem. But the wiring diagram looks like something very strange is happening as it uses 3 wires to connect to the 2 speakers. Is a stock machine using one channel for a sub and the other channel to drive the 2 backbox speakers?

EDIT: I just looked at the schematic more and that is what's going on. One channel for the sub, the other channel is wired in parallel to the 2 speakers. This makes sense now that if you replace with 4ohm speakers, switch to series wiring. I think someone previously mentioned that doing this mod loses stereo sound, but that's not the case. It's mono already.

1 week later
#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

About replacing the 8 ohms speakers by 4ohms in a series, as is, MMR is not in stereo ?

Correct in that it's the same audio coming from both speakers in the backbox.
There are 2 audio channels, but one of the channels goes to the subwoofer.

EDIT: The sound coming from the two speakers is actually slightly different because one of the speakers has a capacitor connected in series (On the original MM, that speaker was a tweeter and I believe the cap is to filter out the low end).

2 months later
#72 7 years ago
Quoted from Unbten:

Sorry to sound like a complete Noob but i have purchased the Kicker speakers as mentioned above, do i just plug and play? or do i have to change the config?

Come on man, just 8 posts ago, nosro put up great instructions and even labeled it "In case anyone needs a 'for dummies' version, here's a wiring diagram"

4 months later
#80 7 years ago

For anyone interested, it looks like those Kicker speakers are on sale at BestBuy right now for $30 with free shipping:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-5-1-4-coaxial-car-speakers-with-polypropylene-cones-pair-black/7709184.p?skuId=7709184

6 months later
#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

Just curious as to why no one has tried the Flipper Fidelity FF5 speakers like Pinsider Robbo105 mentioned? You don't have to change any wiring. I'm going to give those a try.

I think the biggest reason is cost. I picked up those Kicker speakers for $30 including shipping and the Flipper Fidelity are over $65 ($20.81 is the cheapest shipping option to CA, ouch).

They're probably about comparable in quality

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adams.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-update-the-speakers-on-their-mmr?tu=Adams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.