(Topic ID: 225778)

Anyone try to upgrade spike 2 machines for 5 1/4" speakers?

By RJL

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DugFreez
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201021_224012 (resized).jpg
20201021_205318 (resized).jpg
20201021_223538 (resized).jpg
20201021_223633 (resized).jpg
20200127_215925 (resized).jpg
20191115_200942 (resized).jpg
20191116_144729 (resized).jpg
20191115_195212 (resized).jpg
20191115_192408 (resized).jpg
20191115_150121 (resized).jpg
JP DX 525 yellow (resized).JPG
JP DX 525 yellow off (resized).JPG
20200108_220157 (resized).jpg
20200108_220149 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I just received my deadpool le and iron maiden premium machines. The LE has 5 1/4" JBL stage 502's in the backbox and the premium has some really cheap 4" speakers. Has anyone tried upgrading to 5 1/4" and is it worthwhile vs just upgrading the 4" speakers?

I have some 4" pinball pro back box speakers I never used but the mounting studs stern provided are not long enough because the pinball pro speakers have a spacer for the leds. Any ideas on how to handle this?

I did add an external powered sub to the iron maiden which dramatically improved the sound, but it still pales in comparison to the deadpool le (also with external sub). The LE still sounds much better so I think upgrading the back box on the premium is the way to go.

Either way, 4" or 5 1/4" I have a bit of a project so I was hoping to learn from your collective experience.

Thanks

Rich

#2 5 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. I’d love to throw some 5.25’s in my As and imdn.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from RJL:

I just received my deadpool le and iron maiden premium machines. The LE has 5 1/4" JBL stage 502's in the backbox and the premium has some really cheap 4" speakers. Has anyone tried upgrading to 5 1/4" and is it worthwhile vs just upgrading the 4" speakers?
I have some 4" pinball pro back box speakers I never used but the mounting studs stern provided are not long enough because the pinball pro speakers have a spacer for the leds. Any ideas on how to handle this?
I did add an external powered sub to the iron maiden which dramatically improved the sound, but it still pales in comparison to the deadpool le (also with external sub). The LE still sounds much better so I think upgrading the back box on the premium is the way to go.
Either way, 4" or 5 1/4" I have a bit of a project so I was hoping to learn from your collective experience.
Thanks
Rich

The spacer rings on your Pinball Pro speakers aren't there for the LEDs....they are there so the speaker can be mounted and the spacer ring leaves room for the tweeter that extends out past the speaker's mounting points in the front. The LED lights are just something they threw in there after I gave them the idea to have lights in the pinball speakers.

That being said, those Pinball Pro speakers should mount fine for you in your Iron Maiden Premium. You will just need to get (4) 6-32 male-female hex standoffs that are 5/8" long. Put those hex posts down on the studs that are coming out of the back of the factory speaker plates and then put the speakers with the rings on them with the factory nuts.

As for adding 5 1/4" speakers in a pro or premium game instead of a 4" speaker....that would take a different speaker plate or at the least some heavy duty remodeling (bigger speaker holes and mounting stud's locations changed). You may be able to order the LE Iron Maiden or Deadpool LE speaker plates from a Stern distributor, but I know Stern sometimes limits sales of LE specific parts to confirmed LE owners.

Keep in mind what I have described above is just the mounting aspect of getting the 5 1/4" speakers in there. I have no idea if anything would have to be changed as far as getting the 5 1/4" speakers to work in the games as they should (electronics wise).

Doug (www.SpeakerLightKits.com)

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The spacer rings on your Pinball Pro speakers aren't there for the LEDs....they are there so the speaker can be mounted and the spacer ring leaves room for the tweeter that extends out past the speaker's mounting points in the front. The LED lights are just something they threw in there after I gave them the idea to have lights in the pinball speakers.
That being said, those Pinball Pro speakers should mount fine for you in your Iron Maiden Premium. You will just need to get (4) 6-32 male-female hex standoffs that are 5/8" long. Put those hex posts down on the studs that are coming out of the back of the factory speaker plates and then put the speakers with the rings on them with the factory nuts.
As for adding 5 1/4" speakers in a pro or premium game instead of a 4" speaker....that would take a different speaker plate or at the least some heavy duty remodeling (bigger speaker holes and mounting stud's locations changed). You may be able to order the LE Iron Maiden or Deadpool LE speaker plates from a Stern distributor, but I know Stern sometimes limits sales of LE specific parts to confirmed LE owners.
Keep in mind what I have described above is just the mounting aspect of getting the 5 1/4" speakers in there. I have no idea if anything would have to be changed as far as getting the 5 1/4" speakers to work in the games as they should (electronics wise).
Doug (www.SpeakerLightKits.com)

Doug,

This is very helpful.

Thanks,

Rich

BYW - i have several of your light kits, they're great!

1 year later
#5 4 years ago

It sounds like others out there have put LE speakers, the JBL Sound Stage 502 speakers in their Pro's and Premiums. Can those work with the premium out of the box? I want to ensure theres no different amp or wiring in the premium/pro vs the LE's.

1 week later
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

It sounds like others out there have put LE speakers, the JBL Sound Stage 502 speakers in their Pro's and Premiums. Can those work with the premium out of the box? I want to ensure theres no different amp or wiring in the premium/pro vs the LE's.

I believe that most of the games that have the larger LE speakers:

Batman 66 SLE
Iron Maiden LE
Deadpool LE
The Munsters LE
Black Knight: Sword of Rage LE
Jurassic Park LE
Elvira's House of Horrors SE and LE

...do have a different amp, but the wiring is the same and I have heard of folks putting the larger 5.25" speakers in their Pro and Premium games and enjoying the upgrade. I'm also not sure of which games, but many of the SPIKE 2 games have had their system software updated to add a feature to change the setting in the game from 8ohm to 4 ohm speakers for this type of speaker change.

As for the physical mounting of the speakers, there are speaker plates available to accommodate the 5.25" speakers. I hope to have these available soon myself at a more affordable price than they are available for now. If things work out as expected a person should be able to do this type of 4" to 5.25" speaker upgrade at a lower price than is currently possable for AND it will include one of my SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits (though the speaker will have to be purchased separately, just as they would now with the current upgrade of this type).

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

4 months later
#7 4 years ago

I found the 5.25 plate on PBL and have been looking to see if anyone has used it and what they installed?

Someone has to have upgraded their Premium.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-2-speaker-plate-for-525-drivers.html

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I believe that most of the games that have the larger LE speakers:
Batman 66 SLE
Iron Maiden LE
Deadpool LE
The Munsters LE
Black Knight: Sword of Rage LE
Jurassic Park LE
Elvira's House of Horrors SE and LE
...do have a different amp, but the wiring is the same and I have heard of folks putting the larger 5.25" speakers in their Pro and Premium games and enjoying the upgrade. I'm also not sure of which games, but many of the SPIKE 2 games have had their system software updated to add a feature to change the setting in the game from 8ohm to 4 ohm speakers for this type of speaker change.
As for the physical mounting of the speakers, there are speaker plates available to accommodate the 5.25" speakers. I hope to have these available soon myself at a more affordable price than they are available for now. If things work out as expected a person should be able to do this type of 4" to 5.25" speaker upgrade at a lower price than is currently possable for AND it will include one of my SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kits (though the speaker will have to be purchased separately, just as they would now with the current upgrade of this type).

FYI Elvira LE does not have the larger speakers AFAIK

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I found the 5.25 plate on PBL and have been looking to see if anyone has used it and what they installed?

Anybody know if this is a set of 2, or just 1? seems pricey

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I did on my JP premium.
I got my plates and speakers from flipper fidelity. The plates were probably $10 cheaper than the one from PBL.
I coupled them with an acrylic speaker surround and deluxe spike LE light kit from Doug. (Speakerlightkits.com)

I think it looks awesome but i don't know if the sound is THAT much better than you would get with upgraded 4" speakers.

20200108_220149 (resized).jpg20200108_220149 (resized).jpg20200108_220157 (resized).jpg20200108_220157 (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FYI Elvira LE does not have the larger speakers AFAIK

Yes it does. The same 5.25" Kenwood KFC-1366s speakers that most of the recent LE Stern games have had.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody know if this is a set of 2, or just 1? seems pricey

It is just 1.

#13 4 years ago

I have my 5.25" SPIKE 2 speaker plates ready. They are $50 a pair OR $25 a pair if you are also buying a SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit from me.

I do not have them added to my website yet, but I hope to have them and the different color acrylic speaker surrounds listed by 3/16/20.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have my 5.25" SPIKE 2 speaker plates ready. They are $50 a pair OR $25 a pair if you are also buying a SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit from me.
I do not have them added to my website yet, but I hope to have them and the different color acrylic speaker surrounds listed by 3/16/20.

This is a great deal! The light kit is a must do anyways.
Glad to see you are able to offer these now.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yes it does. The same 5.25" Kenwood KFC-1366s speakers that most of the recent LE Stern games have had.

My mistake - I just eyeballed them. They just look so much smaller than WPC speakers haha

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

This is a great deal! The light kit is a must do anyways.
Glad to see you are able to offer these now.

Thanks.

Yeah, these 5.25" SPIKE 2 speaker plates took way longer than they should have to get completed. I got the first of them in last week and had a good opportunity to put them in my new Jurassic Park at the Louisville Arcade Expo this past weekend. I put the Kenwood KFC-1366s speakers in it, but with it being at the show, I didn't have much opportunity to really test or dial in the sound to any degree.

The yellow surrounds match the premium really well and the yellow acrylic is a very "accepting" color and really allows the Speaker Light Kit to dictate what color the surround shows up as with most colors.

JP DX 525 yellow off (resized).JPGJP DX 525 yellow off (resized).JPGJP DX 525 yellow (resized).JPGJP DX 525 yellow (resized).JPG
#17 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

This is a great deal. I will order some later this week for Elvira, and Munsters.

#18 4 years ago

I did it on my SW LE with JBL Stage 502 and subwoofer JBL Stage 810.

20191115_150121 (resized).jpg20191115_150121 (resized).jpg20191115_192408 (resized).jpg20191115_192408 (resized).jpg20191115_195212 (resized).jpg20191115_195212 (resized).jpg20191115_200942 (resized).jpg20191115_200942 (resized).jpg20191116_144729 (resized).jpg20191116_144729 (resized).jpg

20200127_215925 (resized).jpg20200127_215925 (resized).jpg
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I can get white speaker surrounds. I think they would match with your backbox trim quite well and white is the best when it comes to the surrounds being able to change to any color with my Deluxe 5.25" Speaker Light Kits.

I really like the white speaker surrounds, but couldn't think of what game they would be suitable for, but your game looks like the perfect example. My closest pick was possibly The Munster black and white premium. I don't think that would even match as good as on your game as it has chrome / silver backbox trim and not white.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Can you tell me more about that Stern pinball playfield glass cover you’ve got there? I like the look of it.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I can get white speaker surrounds. I think they would match with your backbox trim quite well and white is the best when it comes to the surrounds being able to change to any color with my Deluxe 5.25" Speaker Light Kits.
I really like the white speaker surrounds, but couldn't think of what game they would be suitable for, but your game looks like the perfect example. My closest pick was possibly The Munster black and white premium. I don't think that would even match as good as on your game as it has chrome / silver backbox trim and not white.

I agree with you. White speaker surrounds fit better. I'll check that.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Can you tell me more about that Stern pinball playfield glass cover you’ve got there? I like the look of it.

A friend did it for me. It's look like XXL mousepad

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

A friend did it for me. It's look like XXL mousepad

It does well it’s really cool looking, l like how it keeps the dust off the playfield glass but you still get to enjoy the cabinet artwork.

3 months later
#24 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Hey Doug! I am gonna order the speaker light kit from you with the speaker plates. I got Stranger things Premium and I think the purple matches perfect. Do you have the speaker surround set in purple?

I got the same Kenwood KFC 1366s coming this week.

Thanks in advance.

#25 3 years ago

Those upgrade speaker 5.25 mounts are so expensive....

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Speaker lights $75
Speaker plate is $50
If you buy both $100. I think is a great deal.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Hey Doug! I am gonna order the speaker light kit from you with the speaker plates. I got Stranger things Premium and I think the purple matches perfect. Do you have the speaker surround set in purple?
I got the same Kenwood KFC 1366s coming this week.
Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I now have 11 different colors of the 5.25" speaker surround sets listed on my website:

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Surrounds.html

Quoted from Gorgar666:

I gotta believe you are talking about the speaker mounts from some other place. Mine are $50 a pair or only $25 a pair if purchased with a SPIKE 2 Speaker Light Kit.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Plates.html

#28 3 years ago

Yeah, I now have 11 different colors of the 5.25" speaker surround sets listed on my website:
http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Surrounds.html

Just placed my order! thank you!

2 months later
#29 3 years ago

I know this is an older post but trying to get to the bottom of upgraded all 3 speakers in an Elvira Premium. I already have the upgraded plates from Speakerlightkits.com and the recommended Kenwood backbox 5.25 inch 1366 speakers. The Kenwood 5.25 inch speakers are 4 ohm and the Pyle PLPW8D 4/8ohm dual voice coil speaker has been recommended for the cabinet. It can be wired as either 4 or 8 ohms. Since all the speakers could be 4 ohms and I assume connected to individual channels, haven't checked wiring on Spike 2 to see if it is series, parallel, or direct, I know there is a setting in Spike 2 games that allows you to change to 4 ohm speakers versus 8 ohm speakers. I was curious what others have done and if anyone knows the wiring on Spike 2? Just don't want to overload the board.

2 weeks later
#30 3 years ago
Quoted from drbrain:

I know this is an older post but trying to get to the bottom of upgraded all 3 speakers in an Elvira Premium. I already have the upgraded plates from Speakerlightkits.com and the recommended Kenwood backbox 5.25 inch 1366 speakers. The Kenwood 5.25 inch speakers are 4 ohm and the Pyle PLPW8D 4/8ohm dual voice coil speaker has been recommended for the cabinet. It can be wired as either 4 or 8 ohms. Since all the speakers could be 4 ohms and I assume connected to individual channels, haven't checked wiring on Spike 2 to see if it is series, parallel, or direct, I know there is a setting in Spike 2 games that allows you to change to 4 ohm speakers versus 8 ohm speakers. I was curious what others have done and if anyone knows the wiring on Spike 2? Just don't want to overload the board.

Any update on this? I'd like to swap out my Iron Maiden Pro speakers for the Kenwood 1366 speakers also.

Thanks!

1 month later
#31 3 years ago

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to update my Munsters B&W Premium Edition to Kenwoods 5.25" KFS-1366S speakers. This post has been very useful.

I have hit a big snag though! It seems Kenwood has changed the design of the Kenwood logo as seen on the tweeter... And is using the "SAME BOX" for both versions.

The 1st version is the one found in alot of the newer Sterns Limited Edition models. It has the the Kenwood tweeter logo on the "bottom side" of the tweeter and is perfectly round.

The 2nd design now has the Kenwood tweeter logo on the "topside" of th tweeter and is not perfectly round. It looks exactly like a car speaker.

I attatched photos for more clarity on what i am talking about.. If any vendor has the correct KFC-1366S please contact me.

Thank you.

20201021_205318 (resized).jpg20201021_205318 (resized).jpg20201021_223538 (resized).jpg20201021_223538 (resized).jpg20201021_223633 (resized).jpg20201021_223633 (resized).jpg20201021_224012 (resized).jpg20201021_224012 (resized).jpg
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Jnyvio:

Hey guys,
I'm currently trying to update my Munsters B&W Premium Edition to Kenwoods 5.25" KFS-1366S speakers. This post has been very useful.
I have hit a big snag though! It seems Kenwood has changed the design of the Kenwood logo as seen on the tweeter... And is using the "SAME BOX" for both versions.
The 1st version is the one found in alot of the newer Sterns Limited Edition models. It has the the Kenwood tweeter logo on the "bottom side" of the tweeter and is perfectly round.
The 2nd design now has the Kenwood tweeter logo on the "topside" of th tweeter and is not perfectly round. It looks exactly like a car speaker.
I attatched photos for more clarity on what i am talking about.. If any vendor has the correct KFC-1366S please contact me.
Thank you.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

As I mentioned on another thread....those look like KFC-1365S speakers. What does the label on the back of the speakers say?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-try-to-upgrade-spike-2-machines-for-5-1-4-speakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.