New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 131393)

Anyone Try the Color Match App?

By scampcamp

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by eh97ac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I found a color match app for Android phones & wondered if anyone has tried it on a playfield that was missing some paint from ball wear?

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

I found a color match app for Android phones & wondered if anyone has tried it on a playfield that was missing some paint from ball wear?

Due to the variations in cameras, lighting, etc. I don't think you'll get anything close to an accurate reading (at least with any that I've looked at). What they may be good at is giving you relative readings (comparing one color to another). I guess they could also get you in the ballpark, but then you'll still have to match by eye.

In any case, you really need to paint the entire colored area. One, it's almost impossible to get a perfect paint match. Two, the new paint will fade at a different rate than the old paint.

1 month later
    #3 5 years ago

How about an app that will allow you to compare 2 colors and tell you what color to add to make it a closer match? Like "add yellow". Take another pic after mixing and compare again.

Does anyone know of an app or even web browser app that does this?

#4 5 years ago

you would have to do a white balance in the lighting that u plan to take the pic in. also a black and a 50% black. that will help balance your colors. then from there u can get pretty close. u cant color balance in sunlight and then tale a pic indoors. wont work. different colors of light there.

#5 5 years ago

If you were closer I could help. I'm a paint guy. Custom mixing is my speciality. An app won't help. You have to have an eye for color to get a proper mix.

#6 5 years ago

Try testing the app with a sample card. Depending on the light it will give you quite a variety of color "matches". Not effective at all.

#8 5 years ago

Yep, any input or output device needs to be calibrated if used for graphics. And even then it is only accurate within the capabilities of the device itself.

I want one of those Nix scanners eventually. It is helpful sometimes to get a hint as to which color you need to add to refine a color.

3 years later
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 32.00
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 179.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 68.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Protection
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 209.99
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 23.00
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 57.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 24.95
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 85.00
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside