(Topic ID: 264468)

Anyone try Sparkfun boards for custom sounds?

By Dantesmark

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

I had the same thought at one point and went so far as to order this board and an arduino. If custom sounds is really what your after, look into raspberryPI. There's a thread around here about custom sounds for a gottlieb goldwings using RaspberryPi. Easier than wavTrigger + Arduino

I have sketched it out in my mind, but haven't done it yet. Its a project I've been thinking about revisiting and actually trying.

I was thinking of a cheaper route, with one of these:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15165

This would give you 4 sounds that could be triggered by momentary switch closures. No Arduino or Pi is needed, everything is on the board. You put your sound files on an sd card and name them one through 4 and that's it. The only other things needed are the power and a speaker.

I think 4 different sounds would be enough to add to an EM, that as my plan.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

How do u connect the switch hit to the board?

I’m not sure about this. I guess you would run a pair of wires to a switch of your choice. What I am not sure of is how the voltage affects that sound board. If your switch is energizing a relay that means 50 V is across it momentarily. So that might not work and might even fry the sound board. Possibly the right way to do it would be to add a new switch in there somewhere that is only connected to the sound board. Either at the switch or at the relay. This switch would only be connected to the sound board and isolated from the pinball circuitry. As to exactly how to do that physically I don’t know.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

You need two switches per switch, so to speak. Watch the vid Grizlyrig posted; guy there did the same with adding a secondary switch at each switch location. Can't use the existing switch because it always has voltage running across it.
    IIRC

Ok, got it. This is shown starting at 10 minutes, good explanation. Now I see what needs to be done, and it makes sense.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I used the existing target switches and added relays with the same coil voltage as the target switches.
    The pulse used to drop a target also pulsed the sound relay. That relay closed the Sparkfun contacts momentarily playing the wav file for that target.
    I used the coin switch to call The cowboy theme song and the file was about a minute long , the length of a game

Cool, I had thought about that as a possibility as well. What relays did you use for that?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-try-sparkfun-boards-for-custom-sounds?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.