(Topic ID: 233153)

Anyone tried new rottendog system 9-11 board?

By topkat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JA031888
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A6AA0E54-C721-4F2C-94B8-039E52C5E212 (resized).jpeg
1B2EBA2F-4501-433B-83B3-D311666C3FF1 (resized).jpeg
CB75BC85-1CDA-4698-986E-12593614BCF7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 2 (resized).jpg
A406D0C4-F25D-4790-8097-18CA6EB3DB18 (resized).jpeg
30FCBE37-F5BF-4222-9775-78F45BB83E5F (resized).jpeg
8022F4F5-CF7B-49E3-AD95-911DC820763D (resized).jpeg
43E7AB93-C68B-4F21-A593-E436D7FCE7D4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider red_sox_papi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 5 years ago

Installed an MPU9211 in my Space Station today. It works great except the sound quality is terrible. It's more noticeable with the SFX and voice. When SFX and voice are played, there's so much noise that I can barely understand what is said. I swapped the MPU with a good working System11B MPU and the sound is much better. When there is no sound being played, the humming noise is way louder with the MPU9211 than the System 11B MPU.

I haven't put the scope on it so I don't know what's causing this, but there's an issue with my board (if not all of them) when installed in Space Station.

#49 5 years ago

I emailed J ROD at Rottendog explaining my problem. Hopefully someome figures out a fix/mod.

#61 5 years ago

Jim from rottendog called me today to enquire about the issue. Kudos to Rottendog for great customer service!!

I just uploaded 2 videos on YT. One is Space Station running with the MPU9211. The other is the same Space Station running with the original sys 11B MPU. I'm still fixing up the sys 11B board, hence the garbled displays. I think I have a broken trace to the display PIA. I find that the MPU9211 has more distortion than the original. It's more noticeable with the SFX and speech, so I did not bother uploading the soundtrack.

Original sys 11B MPU sound:

MPU9211 sound:

#64 5 years ago

Listened to it again for a few minutes and it does seem that only the speech sounds worst. The SFX sound OK.

1 week later
#70 5 years ago

Has anyone listened to the two YT videos I posted? Can anyone else hear thw noise/distortion?

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from slapnuts77:

I can absolutely hear the distortion in the voices. I have the previous version of the Rottendog and it's unfortunate they didn't address this issue, as this is a very common complaint from these replacement boards.
I had mine in my F-14 and if you had the volume very low, it sounded ok. As soon as you turn it up, the voices and sound effects are much, much louder than the music and sound super distorted in comparison. It's like a radio station over processing it's music, it sounds louder but there's no real difference in highs or lows and just sounds flat. Not that system 11's have a big dynamic range or clarity by any stretch, but at least you get a bit of it and can feel some bass with the original board, which is completely lost on the replacement.
My original board was thankfully fixed and the sound mixing is much better in the original board so I use that instead, so I have an expensive replacement board which thankfully works should something else occurs, but sounds like crap.

Once I'm done fixing the original board I plan to install it and keep the rottendog one as a spare just because of the distorted speech.

On a side note, I noticed you live in Moncton. I live about 40 mins from there.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Did anyone hear back from rd?
I thought a few people had mentioned they were contacting. I would think they would want it working properly as well

They had got back to me requesting some audio clips to compare both boards. I emailed them the audio clips of both boards and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider red_sox_papi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-tried-new-rottendog-system-9-11-board?tu=red_sox_papi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.