(Topic ID: 233153)

Anyone tried new rottendog system 9-11 board?

By topkat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JA031888
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A6AA0E54-C721-4F2C-94B8-039E52C5E212 (resized).jpeg
1B2EBA2F-4501-433B-83B3-D311666C3FF1 (resized).jpeg
CB75BC85-1CDA-4698-986E-12593614BCF7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 2 (resized).jpg
A406D0C4-F25D-4790-8097-18CA6EB3DB18 (resized).jpeg
30FCBE37-F5BF-4222-9775-78F45BB83E5F (resized).jpeg
8022F4F5-CF7B-49E3-AD95-911DC820763D (resized).jpeg
43E7AB93-C68B-4F21-A593-E436D7FCE7D4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Paging barakandl
rd

Too complex for me and too much silicon. Hats off to R-Dog for pulling off what they did.

Not sure whats to make of the sound issues. I had some issues where the tracks where not thick / direct enough to the amplifier and it caused humming and distortion. Learned to pay extra for the thicker copper, wide power tracks, do ground fill in, and have as direct as possible tracks for analogue sound.

Also if you end up with a wrong value cap somewhere.... like a 681 cap instead of 680 or something like that you end up filtering the wrong frequencies out... ive had that problem too ... whoops. How you end up with the through the tin can type of sound.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I don't think the sound on this board is any different than on the MPU011A. Basically the same circuit.
Some people hear distortion, some don't. I've installed dozens and dozens of the MPU011A and now the MPU9211 and I don't hear a difference from the originals. I've had clients that I've installed the board for, and they hate the sound so much they want the board removed, and an original installed.
Some parts, such as the Harris CVSD are no longer obtainable. Rottendog uses an available replacement, but it may not perfectly match the original Harris IC.
I've spoken with Jim about this, and he is going to see if he can pinpoint an issue and correct it.
This is a fantastic board, being able to use it in anything from a System 9 game all the way through all System 11 games is incredible.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Last time I looked Rochester Electronics had like 10K of the harris CVSD. I bought 100 to stash away.. i think they where $10ea tho.

*edit*
down to 7k!
https://www.rocelec.com/part/harharhc1-55564-5

1 month later
#65 5 years ago
Quoted from red_sox_papi:

Listened to it again for a few minutes and it does seem that only the speech sounds worst. The SFX sound OK.

looks like the Harris speech decoder chip is being emulated some how (neat). Probably why it sounds speech sounds different.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

From your experience, Is there a way they can fix it? looks like a pretty good board functionally, aside from the speech issue

Respin the board to use the original CVSD chip instead of emulating it. The original chip is obsolete but Rochester Electronics still has like 7k of them. They are $10ea tho. Probably why R-Dog found a different solution.

https://www.rocelec.com/part/harharhc1-55564-5

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-tried-new-rottendog-system-9-11-board?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.