(Topic ID: 233153)

Anyone tried new rottendog system 9-11 board?

By topkat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JA031888
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A6AA0E54-C721-4F2C-94B8-039E52C5E212 (resized).jpeg
1B2EBA2F-4501-433B-83B3-D311666C3FF1 (resized).jpeg
CB75BC85-1CDA-4698-986E-12593614BCF7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 2 (resized).jpg
A406D0C4-F25D-4790-8097-18CA6EB3DB18 (resized).jpeg
30FCBE37-F5BF-4222-9775-78F45BB83E5F (resized).jpeg
8022F4F5-CF7B-49E3-AD95-911DC820763D (resized).jpeg
43E7AB93-C68B-4F21-A593-E436D7FCE7D4 (resized).jpeg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

I was ready to order the new Williams 9-11 mpu... but wondered if anyone has used it?
It seems like it’s fairly new.. was Hoping to hear some good reports before spending 400

#2 5 years ago

They are just starting to release the 1st batch of the new model, I heard from a supplier today that he has very limited quantity in stock

#3 5 years ago

Where can get you it?

#4 5 years ago

On Rotten dogs website, they list 6 US distributors, you will have to contact one of them and see if they have extras, the 1 that I am dealing with has a list of people and only 12-15 boards in stock.
http://rottendog.us/distributor.html

#5 5 years ago

Seems like would be a useful board to have..

#6 5 years ago

I have a very limited number of these. I'll update my web site with them soon.

Not sure why I'm not listed as a distributor. I've been one longer than most listed on the site, weird.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#7 5 years ago

Just ordered a couple from Rob. =)

#8 5 years ago

How much are the new ones.

#9 5 years ago

I just ordered one from arcadeshop.com they were the cheapest I could find at 369 each.

#10 5 years ago

I ordered the earlier revision from Borygard today. It's a shame Rottendog doesn't have him on their distributor page, I would have ordered months ago.

#11 5 years ago

What’s the main diff between 6802 and 6808?
The board is nice looking, not like that matters. Sweet game list

43E7AB93-C68B-4F21-A593-E436D7FCE7D4 (resized).jpeg43E7AB93-C68B-4F21-A593-E436D7FCE7D4 (resized).jpeg
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

What’s the main diff between 6802 and 6808?

The 6802 CPU contains 128 bytes of internal memory mapped RAM. The 6808 processor doesn't have this RAM. They are otherwise the same.

#13 5 years ago

I thought these were sold out everywhere...thanks for this thread. I ordered one off Rob today!

#14 5 years ago

So I tried mine yesterday in high speed. I find the sound to be weird compared to the original. Anyone else have this experience?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So I tried mine yesterday in high speed. I find the sound to be weird compared to the original. Anyone else have this experience?

What do you mean “weird”?

I thought I read that there was a new version of the board that permitted adjusting the sound and music mix which may explain why the original version is largely sold out.

#16 5 years ago

when I read the info sheet, it said one of the chips had to reburned.. cant remember which game but I thought it was regarding sound?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What do you mean “weird”?
I thought I read that there was a new version of the board that permitted adjusting the sound and music mix which may explain why the original version is largely sold out.

I'm not sure - it sounds different. It could be the mix I'm not sure.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Yeah, my sound is definitely off, music seems fine, but sound sounds like it's distorted, also can hear a hum/pulse through speakers I didn't have w/Williams board. Contacted retailer, waiting for response. My game was a whirlwind.

#19 5 years ago

I have a working regular board that I removed as I was just using the new board to track down a phantom tilt issue which I've now isolated to the playfield. The sound is definitely different.

#20 5 years ago

I thought that was a complaint with the previous model...Surprised it wasnt something they focused on and fixed

#21 5 years ago

That’s not a good thing. Them boards are selling for big money and still problems. I would be very mad and be asking for a return at that price.

#22 5 years ago

I recently picked up an F-14 with the previous generation Rottendog board newly installed. The audio distortion / background noise is terrible. Also, one of the PIAs was defective which is really not acceptable when you consider how much these things cost. I wouldn't expect this board to be the savior based on the track record from RD.

#23 5 years ago

I wonder if the issue is game specific? there are a long list of games it is meant for..
curious how it works on others

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I wonder if the issue is game specific? there are a long list of games it is meant for..
curious how it works on others

That's a good question. Rdog's 327 board is generally accepted as stable for most System 3-7 games, but there are one or two games (most infamously Black Knight) where it just doesn't ever work right for reasons nobody has ever quite determined. I think Rdog even took Black Knight off the supported list. But folks still use the 327 in other games all day long without issue.

#25 5 years ago

I was able to use the board to isolate my issue. I'm going to keep the board for a backup, but the sound issue is definitely annoying.

#26 5 years ago

Yep, the sound on the original Rdog Sys11 board was average at best.

Surprising nobody has been able to do this board properly.

I have an electronics tech here in NZ who could do it, we have discussed it, but he’s a busy guy ...

Sys11s are reaching the age where a lot of them will need a new board (ala the SS Ballys/Sterns) ... an all in one replacing the interconnect would be an ideal solution.

Paging barakandl

rd

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Paging barakandl
rd

Too complex for me and too much silicon. Hats off to R-Dog for pulling off what they did.

Not sure whats to make of the sound issues. I had some issues where the tracks where not thick / direct enough to the amplifier and it caused humming and distortion. Learned to pay extra for the thicker copper, wide power tracks, do ground fill in, and have as direct as possible tracks for analogue sound.

Also if you end up with a wrong value cap somewhere.... like a 681 cap instead of 680 or something like that you end up filtering the wrong frequencies out... ive had that problem too ... whoops. How you end up with the through the tin can type of sound.

#28 5 years ago

I don't think the sound on this board is any different than on the MPU011A. Basically the same circuit.

Some people hear distortion, some don't. I've installed dozens and dozens of the MPU011A and now the MPU9211 and I don't hear a difference from the originals. I've had clients that I've installed the board for, and they hate the sound so much they want the board removed, and an original installed.

Some parts, such as the Harris CVSD are no longer obtainable. Rottendog uses an available replacement, but it may not perfectly match the original Harris IC.

I've spoken with Jim about this, and he is going to see if he can pinpoint an issue and correct it.

This is a fantastic board, being able to use it in anything from a System 9 game all the way through all System 11 games is incredible.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I don't think the sound on this board is any different than on the MPU011A. Basically the same circuit.
Some people hear distortion, some don't. I've installed dozens and dozens of the MPU011A and now the MPU9211 and I don't hear a difference from the originals. I've had clients that I've installed the board for, and they hate the sound so much they want the board removed, and an original installed.
Some parts, such as the Harris CVSD are no longer obtainable. Rottendog uses an available replacement, but it may not perfectly match the original Harris IC.
I've spoken with Jim about this, and he is going to see if he can pinpoint an issue and correct it.
This is a fantastic board, being able to use it in anything from a System 9 game all the way through all System 11 games is incredible.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Last time I looked Rochester Electronics had like 10K of the harris CVSD. I bought 100 to stash away.. i think they where $10ea tho.

*edit*
down to 7k!
https://www.rocelec.com/part/harharhc1-55564-5

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

I'm not saying I'm not happy the board is here. I'm just warning people if you're looking for perfection, this isn't it. Just something I wasn't expecting. If there was a warning on the website I will would've purchased it. I am less picky than most though.

#31 5 years ago

I guess it’s a good thing I kept my 2 extra boards. I don’t think I will ever use them but I have them. System 11 and system 11A

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Some people hear distortion, some don't.

Distortion is a quantifiable thing.

Inject a sine wave into amp circuit, look at what comes out.

=

F14 is a special case because it is supposed to sound distorted.

That's why I always tell people that replacing the speakers in F14, will probably make it sound even worse....

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Distortion is a quantifiable thing...

Distortion was the wrong word to use. Should have used "weird", "off", or "not right".

The point remains, some people hear an issue, some don't.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Distortion was the wrong word to use. Should have used "weird", "off", or "not right".
The point remains, some people hear an issue, some don't.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

My father in law can't hear the high pitched noise coming from his garage. That doesn't mean the noise doesn't exist. For the "noise" I am referring to, it is in attract mode, not gameplay "distortion" There is a constant white noise, along with exaggerated buzzing when the inserts flash in attract mode. I have owned 7 System 11s so I understand what "normal" hissing or buzzing from these machines should sound like. The RD board I have simply doesn't do a great job with audio. Sounds like the new board has its audio deficiencies as well.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Rdog's 327 board is generally accepted as stable for most System 3-7 games, most infamously Black knight where it just doesn't ever work right for reasons nobody has ever quite determined. I think Rdog even took Black Knight off the supported list.

Yes and what even more strange about Black Knight is I have a 327 in mine and it works fine. Only issue is the laughter is missing in attract mode.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

My father in law can't hear the high pitched noise coming from his garage. That doesn't mean the noise doesn't exist. For the "noise" I am referring to, it is in attract mode, not gameplay "distortion" There is a constant white noise, along with exaggerated buzzing when the inserts flash in attract mode. I have owned 7 System 11s so I understand what "normal" hissing or buzzing from these machines should sound like. The RD board I have simply doesn't do a great job with audio. Sounds like the new board has its audio deficiencies as well.

Yeah, I think it's two different things we're talking about here. The "hum" is mostly "normal" in all System 9-11 games. It may be more pronounced with Rottendog boards. I've mostly been able to eliminate it with proper grounding of the boards though.

The "off" sound that some people here I think relates mostly to the speech in the game.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#37 5 years ago

Prices of replacement MPUs are pretty reasonable I think. It's a volume game for some of these guys and there's more to costs than the materials. Creates an animal of its own with the support end. My hats off as well.

#38 5 years ago

took delivery of the rottendog replacement board on jan 5, 2018 . going to be used in my taxi . game is not near me , and won’t be able to transfer roms until early february..Board looks great . ..just hope it fixes my issues . got mine from big daddy .. put a deposit on it in sept 2018 .... i will report back .

30FCBE37-F5BF-4222-9775-78F45BB83E5F (resized).jpeg30FCBE37-F5BF-4222-9775-78F45BB83E5F (resized).jpeg8022F4F5-CF7B-49E3-AD95-911DC820763D (resized).jpeg8022F4F5-CF7B-49E3-AD95-911DC820763D (resized).jpegA406D0C4-F25D-4790-8097-18CA6EB3DB18 (resized).jpegA406D0C4-F25D-4790-8097-18CA6EB3DB18 (resized).jpeg

#39 5 years ago

Got mine installed... Works well except I randomly get "Bad U10 PIA" on boot, and my speech is gone. I've tried 4 different PIA's from my old board with no change. I may order a new PIA just to be sure. Could a bad U21/I22 cause this?

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Got mine installed... Works well except I randomly get "Bad U10 PIA" on boot, and my speech is gone. I've tried 4 different PIA's from my old board with no change. I may order a new PIA just to be sure. Could a bad U21/I22 cause this?

A U10 PIA error on System 11 games is often caused by a power supply issue.

Check that the 5V getting to the CPU is solid. If you've got another S11 game that doesn't have issues, swap the power supply to see if the issue goes away.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

A U10 PIA error on System 11 games is often caused by a power supply issue.
Check that the 5V getting to the CPU is solid. If you've got another S11 game that doesn't have issues, swap the power supply to see if the issue goes away.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

I did some checking today... Solid 5.0 on the MPU test point with no drop at the test point during boot. Also have half an ohm or less resistance between the MPU test point and the power supply test point. I'll have to track down another system 11 game and see if it still does it.

#42 5 years ago

Just an update... New sound ROMs seem to have fixed the U10 issue along with missing voice call outs. The board has some buzz here and there, but not enough to make me lose sleep. The topper lights activating seem to be the biggest source of feedback.

1 week later
#43 5 years ago

O K ... just installed the New replacement rottendog board today with the roms from my old board .... Game is up and running great !!! this is just a follow up to my post #38... there is a buzz as JodyG spoke about .. but nothing big . At least the game is finally up and running .!!

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from NovaNut66:

O K ... just installed the New replacement rottendog board today with the roms from my old board .... Game is up and running great !!! this is just a follow up to my post #38... there is a buzz as JodyG spoke about .. but nothing big . At least the game is finally up and running .!!

Are there any missing sounds or speech ?
That you can tell

2 weeks later
#45 5 years ago
Quoted from NovaNut66:

I’d be keen to hear any further appraisals on the board. I’ve got a Taxi which needs MPU board repairs or replacement.

1 week later
#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I’d be keen to hear any further appraisals on the board. I’ve got a Taxi which needs MPU board repairs or replacement.

Send it to Ken (Skybeaux) up Newcastle way and he will sort it for you.

rd

1 week later
#47 5 years ago

Installed an MPU9211 in my Space Station today. It works great except the sound quality is terrible. It's more noticeable with the SFX and voice. When SFX and voice are played, there's so much noise that I can barely understand what is said. I swapped the MPU with a good working System11B MPU and the sound is much better. When there is no sound being played, the humming noise is way louder with the MPU9211 than the System 11B MPU.

I haven't put the scope on it so I don't know what's causing this, but there's an issue with my board (if not all of them) when installed in Space Station.

#48 5 years ago

While something is better the nothing certainly, the clear best option is to find an original S11 MPU board for the best experience, particularly with sound quality.

#49 5 years ago

I emailed J ROD at Rottendog explaining my problem. Hopefully someome figures out a fix/mod.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Send it to Ken (Skybeaux) up Newcastle way and he will sort it for you.
rd

Thanks Dave!

Ken was good enough to talk me through my issue, but given it had been repaired in a particular unfavourable manner I’ve decided to take it back to the original repairman. No work back yet on the issue or progress.

While I’ve got you Dave I have a working Whirlwind which really needs a complete resto. I have a minty mint Taxi which really was an effort to complete. Do you think Whirlwind is worth the effort or maybe look to another sys 11? Of course finding another sys 11 is always the challenge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-tried-new-rottendog-system-9-11-board?hl=tonyhoff1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.