(Topic ID: 233153)

Anyone tried new rottendog system 9-11 board?

By topkat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JA031888
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A6AA0E54-C721-4F2C-94B8-039E52C5E212 (resized).jpeg
1B2EBA2F-4501-433B-83B3-D311666C3FF1 (resized).jpeg
CB75BC85-1CDA-4698-986E-12593614BCF7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4661 2 (resized).jpg
A406D0C4-F25D-4790-8097-18CA6EB3DB18 (resized).jpeg
30FCBE37-F5BF-4222-9775-78F45BB83E5F (resized).jpeg
8022F4F5-CF7B-49E3-AD95-911DC820763D (resized).jpeg
43E7AB93-C68B-4F21-A593-E436D7FCE7D4 (resized).jpeg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. I emailed them at one point asking a couple questions before I bought one of their boards. Never heard back at all, so they lost me as a customer before they even had me.

#102 4 years ago

Guys, RD sucks. Plain and simple. I wish we had a better alternative. Weebly is making a lot of boards now. Wonder if he would consider a System 11 board?

#104 4 years ago

I also run his boards in my BOP and my TAF. Never had an issue so far

#105 4 years ago

I’m running several of the older RD boards in my FP and Flash without issue. And I received good support when I did have an issue with an original 937 board in the past. I’ll email him again next week.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I wish we had a better alternative. Weebly is making a lot of boards now. Wonder if he would consider a System 11 board?

You could ask Weebly to make one. I'm sure he would entertain it.

<shameless plug>

This is not my thread and my stuff is not the subject of this thread. My apologies.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs#post-5053973

</shameless plug>

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I also run his boards in my BOP and my TAF. Never had an issue so far

This isn't really about the WPC boards. This specific issue is around how they choose to implement the sounds on the System 11 board.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This isn't really about the WPC boards. This specific issue is around how they choose to implement the sounds on the System 11 board.

Mine are in high speed and transporter the rescue, good to go

#109 4 years ago

Guys, I have a quick question on this board... I bought 2 processors to install in it for a customer (Space Shuttle/Sys 9) and was sent a 6802 and a 6808. The documentation doesn't specify which goes where, and of course the seller said 'its on the board'. Well, the board is screened 6802/6808 for each socket, and the original I'm replacing has Hitachi chips that don't match either.

Does it matter which socket (sound/MPU) gets which chip?

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Mine are in high speed and transporter the rescue, good to go

I am glad you are good to go. Lots have had other experiences with these boards.

1 month later
#111 4 years ago

Thought I should throw in my experience as well if it helps anyone. I recently bought the most current edition of the rotten dog board that has the two blue adjustable pots for the sound built in. I also had purchased the new game and sound roms along with it from arcade shop. Without any adjustments it works absolutely great in my Williams Comet with both sounds balanced how they should be. The best part is the varying hum that was always present from the switched lights in the amplifier is non existent now. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase.

#112 4 years ago

Awesome news, anyone try the lastest board and roms in F14 yet

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Alocatelli:

Thought I should throw in my experience as well if it helps anyone. I recently bought the most current edition of the rotten dog board that has the two blue adjustable pots for the sound built in. I also had purchased the new game and sound roms along with it from arcade shop. Without any adjustments it works absolutely great in my Williams Comet with both sounds balanced how they should be. The best part is the varying hum that was always present from the switched lights in the amplifier is non existent now. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase.

Great news. What is the current revision number, so we know which one to ask for from their distributors?

1 week later
#114 4 years ago

I am having the same sound issues in a WWind that has an RD board
Fingers crossed for a solution!

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Alocatelli:

Glad you are happy. Comet has never been reported as a game with issues. System 11 games are the issue.

Quoted from nightsearcher:

Awesome news, anyone try the lastest board and roms in F14 yet

F-14 is a great test for this. Lots of issues with this one on the RD board. Please report back if you try the new one on F-14.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Comet has never been reported as a game with issues. System 11 games are the issue.

I'm fairly sure this is because System 9 does not use the Harris CVSD which I believe is the IC that the Rottendog board has a substitute for.

I don't have a Rottendog 9211 board so I haven't actually experienced the issue but different System 11 generations (-/A/B/C) generate sound differently - the audio originates from different circuits. Some originate from the main board. Some originate from the sound board.

3 weeks later
#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Alocatelli:

Perhaps you can tell us how is mounted the second blue pot ?
I am pretty sure the mod is easy to make, but Rottendog support don't give me an answer.
Thank's

1 month later
#118 4 years ago

I just purchased a Rottendog MPU9211 for my Bad Cats. When I turn on the machine the display says "Factory Settings" . So I go in to the settings, update them and save it. I play a few games and power it off then back on. Again I the display says "Factory Settings". Is there something I need to do to get it to save the settings or is there an issue with the NVRAM on it or the board.

Thanks

1 week later
#119 4 years ago

Just recently installed one on my Space Station.. All good..the voice volume a little high compared to the background music..but have not tried adjusting it. No distortion at all.

I am very pleased..repairing the old one for a spare..

3 months later
#120 3 years ago

I installed one on a Police Force.

The voice emulation is quite bad. Almost like it's coming through an old walkie talkie. Which is fine for the police chatter, but pretty awful for when the criminals talk.

The music and sound effects sound fairly normal though.

7 months later
#121 3 years ago

Purchased 2 Rottendog MPU9211 boards a year ago. Just installed into high speed. Both boards are super loud at the lowest setting. Is there a possible fix for this? It has the one trimmer pot. Would a second one adjust the volume?

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

Purchased 2 Rottendog MPU9211 boards a year ago. Just installed into high speed. Both boards are super loud at the lowest setting. Is there a possible fix for this? It has the one trimmer pot. Would a second one adjust the volume?

I had this problem as well on my High Speed with the RottenDog replacement board. I also had the really poor vocal quality that others reported too. I worked with him on it for a little, then he exchanged the board for me. The new board I got has 2 pots instead of just one. Honestly, I haven't tried the replacement board, but I have it in storage as a spare. I was just so disheartened the board put out such poor quality sound my desire to swap everything out to try the new one was really low.

11 months later
#123 2 years ago

After some research I finally have most of my first gen mpu9211 boards fixed. Various post pointed to adding a 10k resister to the aux sound board for reducing unbearable sound volume. The board was basically unusable new out of the box. The newer gen boards have a 2nd sound pot added below c112 on the mpu. I tried adding 10k to c112 and it works great. I also tried lower values but this was the winner. As others have stated, the single sound pot seems irrelevant since no difference in adjustment. However some said it needs to be turned bunches. I hooked a small flathead bit in my drill and went to town. I finally made a difference. This allowed me to balance out the sound. You may be missing half of your sounds like me because of one volume way to loud and the other way low. After 2 Years I’m ready to put this baby to good use. Now on to finding out the display is out on another nib 9211.

CB75BC85-1CDA-4698-986E-12593614BCF7 (resized).jpegCB75BC85-1CDA-4698-986E-12593614BCF7 (resized).jpeg
#124 2 years ago

I also just purchased the new rottendog with two pots for my Pinbot. The speech is distorted. Which pot controls the speech? I tried to turn both pots to see if it affected the volume but no luck. Do the pots need to be turned ten, twenty or hundreds of times to affect the volume?

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from Fmf1952:

I also just purchased the new rottendog with two pots for my Pinbot. The speech is distorted. Which pot controls the speech? I tried to turn both pots to see if it affected the volume but no luck. Do the pots need to be turned ten, twenty or hundreds of times to affect the volume?

In my case it probably needed to be turned 100’s. I used a drill while sounds played. It seemed to click at some point then it was a turn by hand. Who knows the trick? Since my board only has the upper one, that’s what I used

#126 2 years ago

I have never seen a PC mount trimmer of this type beyond 25 turns.
Those appear to be Bourns 3299 type trimmers which are 25 tuns.
The 'click' you heard was when you hit and went through the mechanical stop.

Using a drill or electrically operated screwdriver is dangerous as it can take you beyond the stops.
When you go beyond the stops - you risk either breaking the stop off which allows you to turn it infinitely. You can also break the gear on these multiturn trimmers which will destroy the adjustability.
If you go beyond the stops and turn it hundreds of turns, you are burnishing the film off the internal element.

2 months later
#127 1 year ago
Quoted from Fmf1952:

Working on it with my Pin-Bot right now. The bottom pot, turned clockwise about 10-20 times seems to make a difference in the speech. The balance of the entire thing is really what I'm shooting for now.

6 months later
#128 1 year ago

Finally fixed 3 9211 boards. Turns out to be bad pia chips for two boards. When you swap 9 pia chips from bad old board to new 9211 it’s hard to know if any are bad. The key is to first test 9211 boards in a newer sys 11 games like diner or space station that identifies bad chips. In sys 9 games it doesn’t tell you exactly which chip is bad. Another interesting thing is sound was mute in the sys 9 game but fully worked in the sys 11. Sys11 games have a sound board that must not need the audio amp. It was the audio amp(tda2002) inside the big heat sink. Apparently it is not used in some sys11 games like dinar and space station. Being a sys9 I thought it was the custom 21,22 roms which nobody seems to deal with. I was able to burn the roms and verify them which eliminates them from the equation. Also good to know there is no need to change jumpers from 9 to 11. So 3 more mysterious 9211 boards are fully working.

1B2EBA2F-4501-433B-83B3-D311666C3FF1 (resized).jpeg1B2EBA2F-4501-433B-83B3-D311666C3FF1 (resized).jpegA6AA0E54-C721-4F2C-94B8-039E52C5E212 (resized).jpegA6AA0E54-C721-4F2C-94B8-039E52C5E212 (resized).jpeg
#129 1 year ago

Important to know how to test your 13n10L

3 months later
#130 1 year ago

Does anyone know what what the two POTS control? Some of my High Speed sounds are fine but others are very low. From other posts it seems like POT2 is the one to adjust, but do I turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?TIA

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-tried-new-rottendog-system-9-11-board/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.