Anyone tried new rottendog system 9-11 board?

(Topic ID: 233153)

Anyone tried new rottendog system 9-11 board?

By topkat

74 days ago

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by SarverSystems
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A406D0C4-F25D-4790-8097-18CA6EB3DB18 (resized).jpeg
30FCBE37-F5BF-4222-9775-78F45BB83E5F (resized).jpeg
8022F4F5-CF7B-49E3-AD95-911DC820763D (resized).jpeg
43E7AB93-C68B-4F21-A593-E436D7FCE7D4 (resized).jpeg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 days ago

Understatement of the year

#52 8 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Do you think Whirlwind is worth the effort or maybe look to another sys 11? Of course finding another sys 11 is always the challenge.

Most regard Whirlwind as one of the best Sys11s.

Hard to say “is it worth it” without knowing
A/ what it cost
B/ what it needs
C/ what it’s worth when it’s finished

My rule of thumb is never spend more on anything than what you can sell it for.

So do the sums above and make your call.

rd

#53 8 days ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Understatement of the year

Haha!! I’ve had it at a mates since I bought it so yet to really play it. I have however been eyeing off resto parts... playfield/ramps/plastics etc and already looking at $2000+ without looking too deep into it. The cab needs a full resto also which will add up. I like having my machines in absolute A1 condition, so if I keep it, it’ll need a full restoration

I have a restored Funhouse and Taxi, a mint Shadow and a new MBLE coming, so it was probably more a question to me, of whether it’d suit my collection. 2x Lawlors or maybe track down a Steve Ritchie possibly.

#54 8 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Most regard Whirlwind as one of the best Sys11s.
Hard to say “is it worth it” without knowing
A/ what it cost
B/ what it needs
C/ what it’s worth when it’s finished
My rule of thumb is never spend more on anything than what you can sell it for.
So do the sums above and make your call.
rd

Thanks Dave. WW doesn’t come up too often in Oz, so I jumped on one when it came up at a good price. It probably needs a full resto including playfield. I haven’t seen a resto’d one come up so unsure of value, but to the right buyer, $6500 ish for a mint resto... cost of resto including machine will probably be in the same ballpark. The question probably is, is a mint WW worth $6500... and most likely that’s for me to answer :-O

#55 8 days ago

This sucks, lot of good Titles in this grouping and all we can depend on is rebuilt available boards? This would be a deal killer for me, they need to fix this mess.

#56 8 days ago

Got a 2 month old used one for High Speed. No white noise, sounds seem the same. Does High Speed have background sound?

#57 7 days ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Got a 2 month old used one for High Speed. No white noise, sounds seem the same. Does High Speed have background sound?

Yes high speed has a music track that plays in the background.

#58 7 days ago

I got the music back. Someone bent 3 legs on a 6821, & wrecked the ic socket. I tried to remove & still lifted a trace. Worked on a number of boards, new ic, new 6821, & new jumper wire.

#59 7 days ago

Can a few of you post YT vids of the new board in operation? If you post a HS game vid I’ll know right away if the sound is “off” as I’ve played thousands of games of HS.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#60 7 days ago

The game here sounds great with the new board. The pin has seen lots of use! No distortion of background that I hear. Had to resolder the head speaker.

#61 7 days ago

Jim from rottendog called me today to enquire about the issue. Kudos to Rottendog for great customer service!!

I just uploaded 2 videos on YT. One is Space Station running with the MPU9211. The other is the same Space Station running with the original sys 11B MPU. I'm still fixing up the sys 11B board, hence the garbled displays. I think I have a broken trace to the display PIA. I find that the MPU9211 has more distortion than the original. It's more noticeable with the SFX and speech, so I did not bother uploading the soundtrack.

Original sys 11B MPU sound:

MPU9211 sound:

#62 6 days ago

I've noticed Sound/SFX issues on a the few games I've tried them in - especially the speech. More scratchy and less clear. It's a good alternative if nothing else is available, but would stick to the originals if possible until they figure this out.

#63 6 days ago

I have such a board in a space shuttle. SFX sounds are fine. Speech is super loud. On old sys-9 board combo there was a pot to turn down the speech volume that was separate from the main volume pot. This board it is absent and no way to adjust speech volume so I have to turn the whole thing down lower. Other than that it is great to have the game up and working. Seemed like I was working on system 9 boards every few months and it was a super pita.

#64 6 days ago

Listened to it again for a few minutes and it does seem that only the speech sounds worst. The SFX sound OK.

#65 5 days ago
Quoted from red_sox_papi:

Listened to it again for a few minutes and it does seem that only the speech sounds worst. The SFX sound OK.

looks like the Harris speech decoder chip is being emulated some how (neat). Probably why it sounds speech sounds different.

#66 5 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

looks like the Harris speech decoder chip is being emulated some how (neat). Probably why it sounds speech sounds different.

From your experience, Is there a way they can fix it? looks like a pretty good board functionally, aside from the speech issue

#67 5 days ago
Quoted from topkat:

From your experience, Is there a way they can fix it? looks like a pretty good board functionally, aside from the speech issue

Respin the board to use the original CVSD chip instead of emulating it. The original chip is obsolete but Rochester Electronics still has like 7k of them. They are $10ea tho. Probably why R-Dog found a different solution.

https://www.rocelec.com/part/harharhc1-55564-5

#68 5 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Respin the board to use the original CVSD chip instead of emulating it. The original chip is obsolete but Rochester Electronics still has like 7k of them. They are $10ea tho. Probably why R-Dog found a different solution.
https://www.rocelec.com/part/harharhc1-55564-5

Thanks good info . I would think with the cost of the board, even if they passed the 10$ on to us it would have been worth it. I imagine they figured emulating it would work fine though.

#69 5 days ago

I put one in an F14. No issues whatsoever that I noticed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside