(Topic ID: 280928)

Anyone tried a Step Down Voltage and Hz converter? (US machine in AUS)

By Broohaha

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Broohaha
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I'm potentially bringing some machines (2007 and newer) to Australia from the US in a container that I'm already getting (so shipping is pretty much a sunk cost). I have been informed that newer Sterns have a Hz check, and there are boards you can get that shift to 60Hz during boot up. However it sounds like it isn't bullet proof.

Couple questions in case you're familiar with this situation:
    1. Does anyone know when Stern parted putting in the Hz check at bootup?
    2. Has anyone ever tried a step up converter for a long period of time? (The primary goal would be the Hz conversion, as I know Voltage requirements can be satisfied more easily than Hz.) Example product: https://www.powerxchanger.com/store/designer-series/voltage-frequency-converter-x-5-black.html (Not cheap...) -> This solution certainly doesn't bode well for resell in Australia.
    3. Does anyone have more info on solutions/options on the power conversion problem?

Thanks for any info/advice. I'm guessing I'll be told to scrap the idea.

#2 1 year ago

1. Mid-run on Family Guy.

Can't help with the other two - HOWEVER, depending on the game, it may have an in-game way to select line voltage (similar to WPC machines of the 90's, with a different transformer plug.)

#3 1 year ago

You can ask Stern if they will convert.. I have seen where they have..

#4 1 year ago

Yes check with stern, i thought the only reason to lock down voltage was to stop people like me importing machines directly from the states. Dealers in Oz are starting to price gouge. The last $100 stern price increase, somehow equated to $1000aud.
    Stern pro price now $9450, bit over a year ago $8450

#5 1 year ago

Thanks everyone. I didn't even consider contacting stern as an option, but makes complete sense. Will update on what I hear.

#6 1 year ago

Very impressed with the quick response from Stern: I have 2 options.
    1. get new CPU boards (cost prohibitive - $500-800 each)
    2. go through my local distributor to ship the CPUs to stern to have the re-programmed for 50Hz, which apparently is reversible. Price is TBD, but ~$50-100 each.

My local (GEX) is pulling together a complete quote for all items (varister, etc...) A much better solution than spending $600 on a step down voltage/HZ converter.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside