(Topic ID: 258332)

Anyone track pins as physical assets in Quicken (like a car or house)?

By Fezmid

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you track your pinball assets?”

• Yes, I track everything very closely! 9 votes
      43%
    • No, but I do track my finances and other assets closely 2 votes
      10%
    • No, I don't track anything very closely 10 votes
      48%

(21 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Had a long drive to and from the in-laws for the Christmas break (4+ hours each way), so had some time to think about this. I use Quicken to track all of my finances, and up until now, I had just put pinball purchases into a Hobby category (Hobby:Pinball, specifically). But the more I thought about it, the more I felt it should go into a physical asset like a car or house, rather than just a "it's spent" category. Every year on New Year's Eve, I go to KBB and Zillow to see roughly how much my vehicles and house are worth to adjust the values in Quicken, and pins feel similar from a value perspective.

So today I made a "Pinball Machines" asset class and when I buy a pin, I transfer the money into that asset (since that's roughly what the pin is worth). When I sell, I pull the money out of the asset class and into my bank account. It's a little more work, but feels more realistic since a pin doesn't lose value as soon as I buy it (NIB being the main exception - but it still has value and should be tracked. That, and I've never bought NIB). I went back through all of my purchases and made the changes for this as well - I've only bought five and sold one, so it was manageable to do.

I figure I'm the only one this obsessed with financial tracking, but on the off chance someone else is, I'm curious to hear how you manage it! And I put in an obligatory poll, because, well, why not?

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

You’re not obsessed, just accurately running a household . Me too.

The vote is closer than I expected - good to know I'm not the only one!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-track-pins-as-physical-assets-in-quicken-like-a-car-or-house?tu=Fezmid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.