(Topic ID: 161933)

Anyone think parts shipping prices are a joke?

By balboarules

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    0010-micky (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    McD_6_Mile_and_Greenfield_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    carbon-footprint_med_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    peter-noone-and-hermans-hermits-lady-barbara-columbia-3_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    low_(resized).jpeg
    7118856_orig_(resized).jpg
    There are 280 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from Twilight1:

Who does this I need to know?

Free shipping? I know comet does over $100. I think Marco has flat shipping after a certain point too.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Free shipping? I know comet does over $100. I think Marco has flat shipping after a certain point too.

Only if you live in the USA

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Yep. The person that started this thread lives in the US.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

I see. Well when it sounds to good to be true it is.

#105 7 years ago

The package is exactly like what I ship. My products are no more than 2oz, and use the small padded envelope. It's like $2-something to ship, but I only charge $1.99 for shipping. I recoup the cost in the product. I'd rather have the sale, than someone who passes on a $20 order because of $5 shipping, which is what I used to charge. And I'm tempted to just do free shipping. With Amazon pretty much selling and shipping everything for their Prime membership for free, I feel that customers almost now expect free shipping. And to me, I'd rather eat the few extra dollars in costs, than not have any sale.

I've passed on ordering a few things from Marcos, PL, and non-pinball places because of shipping.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Only thing free in Canada is Health Care. Or is it?

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

oh twaffle
    minimum wage here in Australia is about $18 per hour
    civilization has not collapsed

Australia does not have the welfare and illegal immigrant issues we have.

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Australia does not have the welfare and illegal immigrant issues we have.

Luckily neither do we. Now how about we move on from the public policy debate and get back to shipping and fast food sandwich pricing.

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

The package is exactly like what I ship. My products are no more than 2oz, and use the small padded envelope. It's like $2-something to ship, but I only charge $1.99 for shipping. I recoup the cost in the product. I'd rather have the sale, than someone who passes on a $20 order because of $5 shipping, which is what I used to charge. And I'm tempted to just do free shipping. With Amazon pretty much selling and shipping everything for their Prime membership for free, I feel that customers almost now expect free shipping. And to me, I'd rather eat the few extra dollars in costs, than not have any sale.
    I've passed on ordering a few things from Marcos, PL, and non-pinball places because of shipping.

Shipping is never free and is built into the price, right? Every business owner knows what type of profit margin they require to survive and thrive.

Most of the idiots/morons/uneducated we sell to on Amazon read Free Shipping and don't bother to check other vendors who sell the same item for 15-20% less so there is certainly something to be said for your comments.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Anyone Think Parts Shipping Prices Are A Joke?

No

#111 7 years ago

With pinball parts, shipping is a part of life. If you dont like it, go buy your parts at a brick & mortar store!

We keep our shipping simple. Free for orders over $100, $6.00 for orders under $100. For the longest time we kept it at $5.00 and then post office increased it to over $6.00 for our flat rate boxes.

#112 7 years ago

Not a joke. Time to pack and ship $5 worth of parts ≥ $100 worth sometimes.

Be happy you can even get these parts and stop bitching about it.

#113 7 years ago

shipping is ok but i hate that you have to pay $6 to $7 for something that could be mailed in an envelop for 40 cents. i needed a post that cost $2 it is small and way under the total weight for an envelop. i would have happily paid $3 but not 7 for a post.

#114 7 years ago

I misunderstood a vending company recently. I got an unobtanium part to complete a project. I thought it was $150 shipped. It was $150 + 47.90 for shipping. I am happy to have the part, but will ask about shipping in the future. I am now into the machine for full retail.......*rolls eyes*
    At least I don't have a brick and would happily buy from the company again.

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from busa32927:

shipping is ok but i hate that you have to pay $6 to $7 for something that could be mailed in an envelop for 40 cents. i needed a post that cost $2 it is small and way under the total weight for an envelop. i would have happily paid $3 but not 7 for a post.

Your purchase of a $.50 part provides almost no profit for the seller. They have to pay for packaging, and for someone to pick and package the part (the "handling" part of shipping & handling is an actual expense for a business), and then get it in the mail. They're better off setting shipping a bit higher to encourage you to place a bigger order and/or wait until you've got a number of things you need instead of placing individualized orders for small items on an as-needed basis. Also, individually calculating shipping for each little piece would be even more administrative hassle for them.

Of course I'd love it if I could get small orders shipped for peanuts (I currently needs a $.60 spacer and matching $.15 screw from Marco, and will have to wait or eat the $6 shipping charge) but that's not a realistic business model in an obscure hobby like pinball.

#116 7 years ago

you always have the option, don't like the cost---don't buy!

#117 7 years ago

When i sell boards and NVRAMs after more than a few pieces the shipping is "free". Essentially I have already included shipping cost in the item already.

When i sell a single NVRAM adapter or whatever, the shipping is just profit padding for the time I spend packing up small orders.

That bubble envelope marco sent you would have costed my $2.54 to ship, i would have charged $3 in shipping

#118 7 years ago

High shipping costs suck. Free shipping is the best. Somewhere in the middle is what I expect. I spend lots of time waiting on parts. I have thousands of dollars in parts on the shelf and never seem to have the one I need. Yesterday I discovered I had used my last opto transmitter, now I need to find some other parts to pad an order to justify the cost of ordering a dozen opto transmitters. Every vendor out there needs to make money to stick around, so a couple extra dollars in shipping doesn't stir me up.

#119 7 years ago

Most of us here have thousands of dollars in pinball machines, yet there are complaints about $7.00 shipping charges.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from NiftyLED:

Most of us here have thousands of dollars in pinball machines, yet there are complaints about $7.00 shipping charges.

Some of us here have what we have because we are frugal and try to minimize getting ripped off.

#121 7 years ago

Hmm.... Seven bucks.

I can buy a burger at Chili's (not quite), OR have the perfect parts for my odd hobby delivered right to my home from across the country.

Do I have a problem with the latter? No.

#122 7 years ago

As far as this thread and original post is concerned, I would simply say that I'm adding a U to what's on your package.

#123 7 years ago

I like to pay 5x the shipping to get it faster...I need it NOW, NOW, NOW! (Not really).

I have gotten sucked into Amazon Prime though....I order shit from them ALL the time that's like $5 or less and get it in two days shipped free. Sure I pay for that service but I think it's actually in my favor with all the crap I buy.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Some of us here have what we have because we are frugal and try to minimize getting ripped off.

$7.00 isn't getting ripped off.

#126 7 years ago

I just shipped a monitor USPS... The package was pretty big but I wasn't thinking oversized and only about 15.7 lbs... they charged me 80 bucks!

I think big volume shippers have negotiated themselves massive discounts to the point where lower volume shippers like our suppliers and us ourselves are left footing the bill.

#127 7 years ago

I hate it when the shipping cost more than the damn Twinkies.

ebay.com link: Hostess Twinkies Sponge Cakes 13 58 oz 10 BOXES

OOOOOHHH!!! Gostbusters Twinkies with FREE shipping!!! I don't even have to get off the couch till the mailman gets here.

ebay.com link: IN HAND Hostess Ghostbuster Key Lime Slime Twinkies Limited Edition Ecto Cooler

#128 7 years ago

I was staying at a Residence Inn in Ontario, CA two or three trips to SoCal ago and walked over to the In-N-Out a few blocks away. Brought three back to my room and had freezer bags ready and froze two of them overnight along with fries. Packed them in my suitcase for the trip home in the morning. My son who is an In-N-Out nut appreciated it.

Heading there once again and may bring more frozen ones home. Although my last night this time is at the Crowne Plaza by LAX. Probably no freezer there.

Check out post #43 in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/799-storage-drawer-bins-at-aldi-you-want-these

#129 7 years ago

I have never understood. If you don't like the price then don't buy it! You agreed to the price when you paid for it. It is ridiculous to bitch after the fact.

If you bought $9 part and paid $7 shipping it's a $16 part. If you don't want to pay $16 then don't agree to it and don't pay.

Also buy more than 2 ounces of parts at a time if you expect to maximize shipping cost. You could have bought $500 in parts and likely paid $18 in shipping. It was your decision whether to buy or not. But pre plan a little bit and don't order 2 things at a time.

Fact, its not worth running $9 in parts to the post office (even for $7)...there has to be a minimum charge and $7 is fair. An order such as this is strictly customer service, they aren't making anything off of it.

#130 7 years ago

If you have a paypal account, ship through paypal instead of taking it to the post office. It is probably 20% cheaper.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I just shipped a monitor USPS... The package was pretty big but I wasn't thinking oversized and only about 15.7 lbs... they charged me 80 bucks!

Shipping out small and flat rate stuff (with the special paypal link) is usually cheaper at USPS.

For shipping out large and/or heavy stuff, I usually go to FedEx. I avoid UPS--they charge slightly more, and generally seem to be a bit more rough with the packages.

Honestly, I don't think the cost of shipping is too ridiculous for the most part. I usually buy a whole bunch of stuff at once to help make the shipping cost worthwhile, rather than one or two items at a time.

#132 7 years ago

If it makes anybody feel better I just ordered $200 (8 lbs) worth of small parts from Marco and the shipping cost was $9.00 for Fedex.

I don't feel "ripped off".

I do realize this was a domestic, not international order. I know the difference because I lived overseas many times, and USPS was not always an option.

#133 7 years ago

I should have gone FedEx now that you mention it. I had tried a couple UPS drop off locations but they all refused to cover any shipping damages unless they unpacked it, sold me their packing materials and charged to pack it, even though it was in its original from the factory shipping box/packing, thus negating any savings over usps.

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I should have gone FedEx now that you mention it. I had tried a couple UPS drop off locations but they all refused to cover any shipping damages unless they unpacked it, sold me their packing materials and charged to pack it, even though it was in its original from the factory shipping box/packing, thus negating any savings over usps.

That's very strange re: UPS. Generally there's minimum insurance included ($200? $400? can't remember). And if you print your own label online and then hand to a driver or arrange a pickup, they're certainly not opening the box to inspect your packing job. Sounds like you're being shaken down by the local UPS stores, might be worth a call to corporate to complain.

#135 7 years ago

I've gotta admit i'm not familiar with the in's and out's of the US postal service BUT from an Aussie perspective it's extremely annoying to be paying extra postage for unused space To expand on that, i've had parts shipped in boxes that have been up to 3 times the size necessary. Is this for a reason i'm not aware of? or are the US posties so bloody rough with packages they need an extra amount of box space to cater for the crush/bang/splat factor?

#136 7 years ago

in my business we are shipping stuff all the time. I have noticed ups rates skyrocketing over the last 3 years. if you order one coil sleeve at a time you are gonna eat lots of shipping. I usually dont order less than 100 bucks worth of parts. You do that with Steve Young and generally with pinball life you will get a discount on the products. 10% from Steve and qty breaks from Terry. Terry even credits you back for shipping charges that turned out to be unnecessary. I only order from marco here and there based on their higher prices and higher shipping.

#137 7 years ago

UPS insurance is a joke. No matter what happens, they will claim "inadequate packing". There is even 1 instance where there was a forklift tire print across the box and they claimed "inadequate packing".

#138 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

I've gotta admit i'm not familiar with the in's and out's of the US postal service BUT from an Aussie perspective it's extremely annoying to be paying extra postage for unused space To expand on that, i've had parts shipped in boxes that have been up to 3 times the size necessary. Is this for a reason i'm not aware of? or are the US posties so bloody rough with packages they need an extra amount of box space to cater for the crush/bang/splat factor?

Don't blame the Post Office for the packing, blame the Vendor packing the stuff. The Post Office doesn't pack the package, and not all shippers pack that way. I will say that Amazon as of late has been good about using containers that are close to the size of what's ordered, and using sufficient, but not excessive packing.

#139 7 years ago

I just paid 25$ in shipping. I am not complaining.

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lysurgeon:

I just paid 25$ in shipping. I am not complaining.

What was your order total? That'd make a big difference.

#141 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Don't blame the Post Office for the packing, blame the Vendor packing the stuff. The Post Office doesn't pack the package, and not all shippers pack that way. I will say that Amazon as of late has been good about using containers that are close to the size of what's ordered, and using sufficient, but not excessive packing.

some of this has to do with the pricing of of shipping the standard size usps boxes vs odd sizes.

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

#143 7 years ago
    Quoted from PunkPin:

some of this has to do with the pricing of of shipping the standard size usps boxes vs odd sizes.

But the Post Office didn't pack the package.

#144 7 years ago

That's reasonable then.

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Size and weight are kind of important also.

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Suppose so. But I'm guessing it wasn't a $130 teddy bear.

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

right. order 130 dollars worth of leg bolts and see what happens.

#148 7 years ago

You cheapos that won't buy a part you need on that's broken on your game because you refuse to pay $7 in shipping must have some really *nice* games.

#149 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

But the Post Office didn't pack the package.

correct but if they charge you less to put it in a standard sized box so they can pack their trucks more efficiently then with your odd sized box most people will put it in a box a little bigger then needed

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Quoted from rcbrown316:

right. order 130 dollars worth of leg bolts and see what happens.

You could probably ship $130.00 worth of leg bolts in the next-to-smallest size of USPS flat rate box for about $12.00 since the USPS flat rate boxes are sold by size and not by weight.

There are 280 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-think-parts-shipping-prices-are-a-joke/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.