Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2666_(resized).JPG
IMG_2662_(resized).JPG
IMG_2664_(resized).JPG
IMG_2661_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Okay, I don't know if this is normal, but it sure as hell doesn't seem right to me. Obviously I bought my GB Pro NIB, so I was a little bummed when my auto-shooter took a dump because of node board 8.

Called my distributor. They require a $200 deposit till the defective board gets returned. Well, I got my replacement direct from Stern and this is it.

IMG_2661_(resized).JPGIMG_2661_(resized).JPG
IMG_2664_(resized).JPGIMG_2664_(resized).JPG
IMG_2662_(resized).JPGIMG_2662_(resized).JPG
IMG_2666_(resized).JPGIMG_2666_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Nobody has gotten a replacement? I know it's only been an hour, but I really don't want to install this if others are getting normal boards. I don't think they are sending games out with this board and the jumper and soldered diode.

Would you or am I being a lil' bitch about this?

#3 7 years ago

Maybe this is the long term fix for a bad design?

#4 7 years ago

I've started some threads about bizarre behavior with my spike games. Spike may still be a work in progress. I'd install that board and see how it works.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Nobody has gotten a replacement? I know it's only been an hour, but I really don't want to install this if others are getting normal boards. I don't think they are sending games out with this board and the jumper and soldered diode.
Would you or am I being a lil' bitch about this?

Others have posted that they got similar "fixes" on returned boards. So yes it is fine.

#6 7 years ago

Actually the original board on my game had the same hacks. I just removed it. No wonder it failed in the first place.

Probably the reason for the delay (revised boards?) on the LEs and Premiums. What BS!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Actually the original board on my game had the same hacks. I just removed it. No wonder it failed in the first place.

Ah misunderstood you.

#8 7 years ago

I think he means he just removed the original board. Not the hacks.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I think he means he just removed the original board. Not the hacks.

Good call. 3 hours of sleep will do that to you.
Anyway the node boards seem to be failing like crazy on the new sterns. They really need to figure it out.

#10 7 years ago

So my autolaucher just bumps the ball lightly still. Thanks Stern!!! Maybe moves it an inch.

Good thing I didn't follow Chas' advice and just swap board 8 with 9. I'm like well then what won't work? Him. Well I guess it's possible drop 1 won't operate. Oh I see, so autolauncher will work, but no Scoleri Bro #1. Thanks for the brilliant recommendation bro!

So, I've paid $210 and now have two hacked, defective node boards and a non working auto launcher. On the heels of 4 hours in fixes on my GOT premium.... I'm pissed. They need to fix that BS node board.

#11 7 years ago

In hopes that someone might be able to diagnose.

I installed new, hacked node board. Game boots up and says its initializing node board or something to that effect. I start a game. Ball kicks into shooter lane, does not give me the option to select skill shot, then does a full strength auto plunge. On my next ball its back to normal. Kicks ball into shooter lane, lets me select skill shot. Now auto plunger is like a limp dick again and will only continue to nudge the ball 1" then back again only to repeat.

A real MF during a multiball.

WTF?

#12 7 years ago

Does the shooter lane switch opening kill the power to the kicker? Like maybe the shooter switch is flakey and thats where the limp action comes from? NO IDEAR.

#13 7 years ago

Soldering components to a board isn't considered a hack. This is a perfectly acceptable method of improving a design before the next set is run. It happens all the time even on things like TV sets. There is nothing wrong with a soldered wire between two points vs a board trace between the same two points. In many cases, the board trace is thinner and more fragile than the wire. Do not focus on the fact that the board has had some rework done to it as an indicator of quality. That's a poor and incorrect metric.

Next, swapping node board 8 and 9 was great advice. Seeing if the problem moved after that would have been great data to help troubleshoot your game. Stern tech support isn't run by psychics so you have do some things go get proper data in order to properly diagnose the issue.

It sounds like you've jumped to the conclusion that node board 8 is defective and the new "hacked" one is also defective. I think you are also assuming something is damaging the boards in position 8. I disagree with all this. In fact, it sounds like node board 8 is working fine and you have two working node board 8's now (the original and the one stern sent). Had you originally swapped node 8 and node 9 and the problem didn't change, then I'd suspect it would have been very enlightening and Chaz would have moved onto someone other than node boards.

I think at this point, I would install one of your extra node boards into node 9 position and see if anything else in the game acts up. If not, you can conclude that the node board is fine. Perhaps one of the cables that connects the node boards is flaky. It's an odd situation if the auto launcher works perfectly the first time of every game then it indicates that the thing can work.

If the ball kicks into the shooter lane and is auto launched, it usually indicates that a game switch somewhere is being triggered. This can be detected by going into the switch test and seeing which switches are active. Perhaps one is machine gunning or stuck closed. I think I'd start with these two steps.

Of course all this assumes the symptoms are as you described. The auto launch works perfectly once the first time of every game. If you meant it worked once and never works again until the node board is swapped again, that may point to some thing entirely different.

It's frustrating getting a game that doesn't work. But working through the troubleshooting and you will learn a lot about how the game works and once it's fixed, it'll be like new and you'll be all the better for it.

#14 7 years ago

Sorry about your problems with the GB. But Mark is right on the money here. Also, if you would have followed Chaz's advice, you wouldn't be out the $200 advance fee or the wasted time. He was offering solid troubleshooting advice and you chose to ignore it. A number of things go into making the kicker kick properly. Node boards, main board, mechanical bits in the mech itself, and of course all the wiring. You need to rule each item out systematically in order to find the problem. If you don't want to have to do the thinking, that is perfectly ok. Just shut up and be the techs eyes and ears. They don't need your input, they just need to hear the results of what they tell you to do after you follow their instructions exactly. Yes, I've been on both ends of this call many times. Best wishes to getting this figured out as quickly as possible. Take care,

-Jeff

#15 7 years ago

I was pissed when the replacement board for my customer Kiss Pro had jumper wires. Thought Stern was sending out reworked boards instead of new ones. Of course the new in box failed instantly for VUK. I switched boards around to get him going, so it then had a sling not work until the board came in. *Remember the dip switch setting which change depending where the board is used*. Customer also has a bad SD card. I'm a dealer & I hate doing free warranty service. Seems like only 1 in 4 or 5 are good out of the box.

#16 7 years ago

Markmon wrote "Soldering components to a board isn't considered a hack. This is a perfectly acceptable method of improving a design before the next set is run. It happens all the time even on things like TV set"

Here here! I think the OP might be surprised at how often this legit situation occurs.

You just don't typically work on boards for other devices.

#17 7 years ago

Yup, just an engineering change. Happens all the time.

And I also agree with Mark 100%. Swapping the boards right away was the correct step towards diagnosing the real issue. It would allow quick diagnosis of it being the board or something else.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 103.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-that-has-a-bad-node-board-spike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.