(Topic ID: 322307)

Anyone suffering from Pinball Burnout?

By TechnicalSteam

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you burned out of Pinball in general?”

• The cigarette burns on my 80s pins reflect my current attitude toward Pinball. 19 votes
      12%
    • No way 57 votes
      36%
    • Report.. Pinball has jumped the shark. 36 votes
      23%
    • No I'm excited about new games and continue to buy, buy, buy. 36 votes
      23%
    • Still playing tournaments but don't really care about new games 11 votes
      7%

(159 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_564789922109399 (resized).jpeg
    received_564789922109399 (resized).jpeg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

Not burnt out, leveled off. New car smell is gone. Passion is present, but can see the reality of situations now.

Love to flip and chat pin. But as said above moderation is key to life. Too much of anything can cause burn out

#52 1 year ago

No burnout on pinball yet. Get a little burnt out on pinside (and the internet in general) sometimes, but I’ll just take a few days break and all is good. Moderation is important. Putting the phone away for a while is always good for the soul.

#53 1 year ago

I just took about a 6 or 7 year break from the hobby, but got a couple nephews who have started showing interest in the machines so I’m getting back into it a little.

Playing with friends and family is awesome, but I’ll say returning to Pinside was a bit of a buzzkill. It’s an amazing site filled with awesome people and useful knowledge, but I stumbled right away into some of the Bond threads and was immediately reminded of what I didn’t miss about the site. A few middle aged men fighting over pictures as if they’re the resident expert and any dissenting opinion is a personal insult. One mob saying it’s the worst machine ever and another proclaiming it’s the second coming all based off of some security guards Nokia phone picture. Also all the random threads with horny old men posting cheesecake pictures of women while simultaneously and oddly straying into politics is just kind of….sad. Posting something deliberately inappropriate on a pinball forum and then complaining about having a moderator address it is just too much internet edge lord badassery for me to handle. I think I’ll be here for the technical help, but leave the rest just for mental health.

#54 1 year ago

I think I've hit that phase that might be called contentment? I still enjoy the hobby a great deal, but I'm not eating and breathing it like I once did. Now I have space for other things.

Pinball is sort of the ultimate hobby in that you can do so much with it, when you burn out of one thing you can switch gears and do something similar. A few years ago I got burnt out on restoring them, so I sold off most of my projects and bought a few nicer games just to play (and maintain of course). I kept a couple of projects that I can pull out and noodle around on if I decide it's more fun to fix stuff again.

I still have a huge want list, but I've stopped going crazy over chasing new games. My collection is pretty excellent and I've figured out that now I have to decide what to cut loose before I start shopping for the next game.

Also just got introduced to ranked pinball play. I was surprised and pleased at how much time I just got to lean against a bar and talk pinball with other enthusiasts. Burnt out on gaming competitively years ago. Now I have more fun playing pinball with people and celebrating when they blow up the game, even when it means I'm losing.

#55 1 year ago

Lots of fun aspects of pinball that I enjoy.
    -Searching for a good deal.
    -Reading Pinside and helping others repair their pins.
    -Watching and chatting with players on Twitch.
    -Fixing up a project. My first 3 pins were projects and good experience, but recently I stick to buying HUO.
    -Playing, maintaining, and modding my home collection.
    -Having friends over to play on the occasional get together.
    -Listen to the myriad of podcasts when driving or doing chores.

My favorite aspect is competing in tournaments in the nearby states. Like mentioned above, I play against some great players, and some are 'out of my league' but it is too much fun to get discouraged. It's still a rush to compete and try to improve my ranking, and perhaps qualify for the state championships. I can't imagine burning out anytime soon.

#56 1 year ago

For anyone suffering burnout.

Think about what in pinball you enjoy. And concentrate on that.

If you get to doing too many pinball things, you will burn out.

I've seen it many times through the years on various forums. A guy gets a pin. Enjoys it. Pretty soon has has more. Then he's going to shows. Hanging out on forums. Doing pod casts. Just keeps adding to what he once thought was fun. And then dumps it all and disappears.

Have fun. That is what got you into pinball.

LTG : )

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I've seen it many times through the years on various forums. A guy gets a pin. Enjoys it. Pretty soon has has more. Then he's going to shows. Hanging out on forums. Doing pod casts. Just keeps adding to what he once thought was fun. And then dumps it all and disappears.

waspinat0r comes to mind.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Yeah and that was like in 6 weeks!!

He came in hard - went out FAST!

rd

#59 1 year ago

No, once I learned that that NIB feeling dissipates in 3 months when the NBT (next big thing) releases, I just stick to game I enjoy

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Watching people here spend $15K for a machine when the absolute tip top was $8K a mere 10 years ago blows my fucking mind.

But that machine was less than $5k prior to that.
    Some times even free.

Remember how operators just threw old machines away? Broken down Medieval Madness, TZ that never ever worked for a full week etc.

Market is a response to peoples actions.

#61 1 year ago

Here is my main problem

I get bored of games somewhat quickly, the fun for me is trying and learning a new game

I also like modern games better

There just aren’t enough pinball companies making games to keep things fresh and interesting to me. The pinball industry is sort of asleep.

Add to that insane prices and everything being a buy before you see fomo hype rush and it’s just stressful

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

And sidekick Wifeinat0r

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This is good advice. I've dove head first into a ton of hobbies and have burned out in about 3 years in each one.

#64 1 year ago

Just built back to 5 in collection. 4 used, 1 nib. I don't stress over having to play my Halloween ce, even though I spent a small fortune on it. When in the mood, I fire them up. 5 is my sweet spot.

I think of it as a bank account that pays dividends in fun.

#65 1 year ago

Like others, my interest comes and goes. May not even turn my games on for a while and then get the itch to play. I think the high prices took a lot of fun out of hobby. I also thought more other people would enjoy them but no. If any interest, it's over in a few minutes. My teenage boys may play a few games on a new game but that's it. Still like having my games but can see selling them off someday.

#66 1 year ago

I got burned out a couple of years ago. I had 8 machines, I got tired of fixing stuff and cleaning. I ended up selling all of them when I moved out of state. Huge mistake! 2 and a half years later and I found myself really missing walking down to the basement to play, or having visitors play on poker nights. But man it’s gotten so expensive in 2 years, I’ll need like $80k+ to get the same machines I had. I’m worried the cost is so high that I’ll stop collecting.

1 week later
    #67 1 year ago

These recent price hikes have cooled my interest considerably.

#68 1 year ago

I doubt I'll ever get tired of slamming my laptop shut at the end of a work day and playing a game or two to blow off steam.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-suffering-from-pinball-burnout/page/2?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.