(Topic ID: 259188)

Anyone successfully unlock a desktop computer? Tips?

By Guzz4851

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8676B80E-490D-427A-81BF-3AB88B6F5192 (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I bought a used Dell mini desktop computer with a Windows operating system. Going to use it for a project.
    When I turn it on I get the dreaded “control, alt, delete.” Then it shows username as “administrator” and I don’t have a password.

Is there a work around or some way to reset this? I’ve looked online and tried some suggestions but no luck. Maybe a computer savvy person here can give me some things to try. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

Which windows? If it's 7 you can use safe mode to get around the password and let you in.

Alternately, if you get a Dell Windows ISO for the same version on the machine, you can just wipe the machine - the license is encoded on the motherboard rom.

#5 4 years ago

I did some in Xp using a Unix boot disc that allowed the admin password to be reset.

#6 4 years ago

If you don't need to retrieve any data, just reinstall Windows. Search for "Dell restore disk" and the version of the operating system.

If you need to retrieve data, just remove the hard drive, connect it to another computer, and copy what you need. Then reinstall windows.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you don't need to retrieve any data, just reinstall Windows. Search for "Dell restore disk" and the version of the operating system.
    If you need to retrieve data, just remove the hard drive, connect it to another computer, and copy what you need. Then reinstall windows.

If it's Windows 7, just bypassing with safe mode and resetting the password in safe mode is a lot faster and easier.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guzz4851:

I bought a used Dell mini desktop computer

Quoted from PinMonk:

If it's Windows 7, just bypassing with safe mode and resetting the password in safe mode is a lot faster and easier.

Maybe, but I wouldn't trust someone else's computer to be malware-free.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe, but I wouldn't trust someone else's computer to be malware-free.

Well, if you're hooking the hard drive to another computer and copying files off it, you've already made that trust fall. At least doing it the bypass way, it's still self-contained and can be scanned and cleaned in isolation before you pull files.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, if you're hooking the hard drive to another computer and copying files off it, you've already made that trust fall. At least doing it the bypass way, it's still self-contained and can be scanned and cleaned in isolation before you pull files.

To be fair, I didn't catch it was someone else's computer on the first read-through. I just saw reusing an old computer for a new project.

I still think the best approach is just to blow it away and reinstall.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

To be fair, I didn't catch it was someone else's computer on the first read-through. I just saw reusing an old computer for a new project.
    I still think the best approach is just to blow it away and reinstall.

On that point, we are in total agreement.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks guys.
    It was someone else’s I bought it for a project.
    It has windows XP.

How does one go about reinstalling windows?

#13 4 years ago

It has XP? Unfortunately that's not going to run Windows 7, 8, or especially 10 at any usable capacity. Unless you're wanting to run Linux Mint, Linux Lite, or Lubuntu for web browing and some basic office applications, it's pretty useless.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guzz4851:

Thanks guys.
    It was someone else’s I bought it for a project.
    It has windows XP.
    How does one go about reinstalling windows?

You need a Dell Win XP iso (is it Home? Professional? It needs to be the right one) to reinstall UNLESS there is a recovery partition on it. Try tapping F8 at startup and see if you get repair options. If it has a recovery partition, you can reinstall windows from that.

You can get into the machine by booting in safe mode and just changing the admin password, too.

#15 4 years ago

Even if he could re-install XP he still couldn't use it after 30 days. Microsoft shut down the activation servers years ago.

#16 4 years ago

You can look (or ask me...) for an unlocked version of Windows XP, since this computer probably won't support a 7 and XP is not supported anymore, I don't find it entirely wrong to do it.

#17 4 years ago

Press F8 and I get these choices...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #18 4 years ago

And it’s XP professional

#19 4 years ago

If this is a used unkown to you PC I would just reinstall windows and start fresh. there usually is a license key sticker somewhere.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

It has XP? Unfortunately that's not going to run Windows 7, 8, or especially 10 at any usable capacity. Unless you're wanting to run Linux Mint, Linux Lite, or Lubuntu for web browing and some basic office applications, it's pretty useless.

Maybe his project is MAME, then it's fine.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guzz4851:

Press F8 and I get these choices...[quoted image]

It's been a long time for Win XP, but try return to OS choices and see if you get a repair menu.

#24 4 years ago

Download the Ultimate Boot CD, burn it, boot it up.

Under HDD Tools, pick Data Recovery, then pick Offline NT Password Editor.

Ophcrack for XP should work too!

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Download the Ultimate Boot CD, burn it, boot it up.
    Under HDD Tools, pick Data Recovery, then pick Offline NT Password Editor.
    Ophcrack for XP should work too!

Seems like a lot of work when safe mode or a Dell XP disc install will solve the problem.

Also, crack not required since Dells have the Win license encoded in the MB roms. You can reinstall from any Dell OS disk that's the same flavor.

#26 4 years ago

Here you go, just use a password reset key

https://www.amazon.ca/Recovery-Password-Better-Windows-Versions-7/dp/B01BO6604S/ref=sr_1_1
    8676B80E-490D-427A-81BF-3AB88B6F5192 (resized).png8676B80E-490D-427A-81BF-3AB88B6F5192 (resized).png

#27 4 years ago

Ophcrack only resets the password. After running whatever or getting the data off, I agree that reloading Windows from disc is the best choice, and then you have to upgrade to SP3 from disc also, since it won't activate/update with the older IE versions.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-successfully-unlock-a-desktop-computer-tips?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.