Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230824_185105 (resized).jpg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 months ago

I know most everyone here has their own machine but do you still go to the arcade and play pinball?

#2 11 months ago

I do. There’s a few pinball arcades / bars near me, it’s fun to go out once in a while and play some of the games usually I just started going to play in “spot tournaments” that are just basically once a week just for that day. Fun to play against others especially the old games (70s and early 80s) that are otherwise not as interesting ad the modern games but fun when there’s competition Also interesting to see that the average pinball player is why younger than I expected. I figured only 50+ year old would be into pinball.. that was an incorrect assumption as in my late 40s I’m one of the older people there.

#3 11 months ago

Anytime I travel away from home I look up pinball arcades to go play at. Even around here I go to the arcade probably once per month.

#4 11 months ago

Absolutely. Not often, but yes.
    My town has two excellent pinball-forward arcades. Both feature over 60 pins on the floor.
    One of them is all-free-play AND rentable for private parties.
    I'm glad they exist, and so I go as often as I can manage.

#5 11 months ago

A lot of my customers own machines, so I would say yes.

LTG : )

#6 11 months ago

Yep. I cant own all the games so gotta go play them somewhere. Its nice to be a little bit of a kid for a couple hours still.

#7 11 months ago

Of course. There are many games on location I don't want to own, but am happy to go out to play.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

I know most everyone here has their own machine but do you still go to the arcade and play pinball?

I add and rotate new games every couple months, and only 20 minutes from you! Hopefully some day you’ll visit!
    We run tournaments from the fall to the spring and have a pretty decent turnout. A lot of guys come out to play the weird and unusual games I put on location that you can’t play anywhere else!

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

I visit general arcades on occasion, and have visited a few dedicated pinball locations in my travels.

I don't visit a general arcade to specifically play pinball--the state of upkeep is sometimes hit or miss. But if it looks reasonably clean, I'll drop in some quarters.

#10 11 months ago

Yes. Finally hit Logan arcade in Chicago last week for the first time. If you get deep in the hobby like a lot of us fools are - some arcades (and shows) become special bucket list destinations.
    Awesome!

#11 11 months ago

Yes we have great locations here and brewpubs are blowing up with new games showing up everywhere. Its really fun to play in competitions because lots of people are playing for fun. What about everyone else?

#12 11 months ago

Whenever I travel or sometimes go out with friends we'll hit some barcades. Always hoping they have something I've never played.

#13 11 months ago

I was just at Game Galaxy during my vacation in TN. I go to them when I travel.

#14 11 months ago

Me and the girlfriend just left past times in girard ohio a couple hours ago ,20 dollars all you can play as long as you want.

20230824_185105 (resized).jpg20230824_185105 (resized).jpg
    #15 11 months ago

Hell yes. The arcade has been my church/synagogue/etc. since the late '70s, favorite places on earth (especially if they have booze). My wife and I even moved in the early 2010s primarily to be close to the excellent and sadly defunct Pinball Wizard Arcade.

#16 11 months ago

The ones in my area just don't keep their games up well enough. When you spend more time in line for refunds than playing it is annoying. I do like places like Pinstack or Andretti that have hoops, Skee-Ball, modern video games, carnival type games, air hockey, etc. Pinstack has a few Stern pins but they are beat to hell as well. I will take my four grandkids and throw a Benjamin on the scan card and watch them have the time of their lives.

#17 11 months ago

Yes, I do! There are a couple of arcades about an hour away from where I live. I usually visit them once every few months.

#18 11 months ago

Not really. Only one arcade locally but mostly redemption machines. This is
    my excuse (like I need one) to have my own personal arcade at home.

#19 11 months ago

Arcade is my preferred place to play always.

#20 11 months ago

No. Never. Not once. UNFATHOMABLE.

No way would someone who is into this hobby so much that they would start their own collection AND join a hobbiest forum would even consider walking by an arcade and drop a few quarters. I mean spend thousands in the hobby, and then consider spending $10 more because it supports those working in the hobby??? Never. Get so deep into the hobby, and then visit the public location for said hobby??? I mean that just doesn't add up at all.

(Edit: Will add the sarcasm emoji for @flynnibus)

#21 11 months ago

Absolutely, every chance I get. They're just few and far between around here.

#22 11 months ago

Support your local ops….

#23 11 months ago

What arcades ? Don't see anything...

#24 11 months ago

Yes. Have 4 great locations within 30 mins and usually go to at least one a week for a beer and a few games with my wife. What’s great is they are all unique; a brewery, a bowling alley, a pinball only (fixed fee free play), and an adult arcade. All with a great variety of line ups.

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball1987:

Was there last night and I’m good for a trip a week usually if not more. I’m gonna be 39 in a month and have 17 games at home.

#26 11 months ago

Yes I do cause I can't afford NIB prices! Also good to support the local places.

#27 11 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

No. Never. Not once.
    No way would someone who is into this hobby so much that they would start their own collection AND join a hobbiest forum would even consider walking by an arcade and drop a few quarters. Get so deep into the hobby, and then visit the public location for said hobby??? I mean that just doesn't add up at all.

Wow… so tell us how you feel about those in this hobby that not only do that… but setup arcades so others in the hobby can experience things? For their other hobbyists?

#28 11 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Wow… so tell us how you feel about those in this hobby that not only do that… but setup arcades so others in the hobby can experience things? For their other hobbyists?

So you didn't detect ONE ounce of sarcasm in my post? I go to arcades weekly dude. It's just another moronic newb thread from the OP who has to ask every general question under the sun.

#29 11 months ago

I play at Rock Fantasy in Middletown, New York. Take my four kids with me. He's got a great setup and 20+ games. Great guy.

#30 11 months ago

There’s a bar 5 min from me that has STh, Gz, and ToM. Very convenient! Western Mass Pinball Club is 30 mins away and a wonderful place. I get out when I can, many times a year.

#31 11 months ago

I also go to Rock Fantasy. Great Place!!!

#32 11 months ago

Not really an arcade per se, but a local pool hall & bar with 80 games on location. All the JJP's, usually the latest Stern release - pro first then prem, as well as some other rarities (cgc, AP) sprinkled in. Fairly well maintained, good owners. We have a league every other thursday as well.

#33 11 months ago

Though there are some decent places to play all over SE Michigan, I don't go to any of them.

I go to Expo/Chicago in the fall, Milwaukee Gaming Classic in the spring, and play in the Detroit Pinball League from Oct - May. That's enough for me.

When my friends want to play they come to my house.

#34 11 months ago

I do.
    New England has lots of great arcades. A new one in NH will have lots of modern pinball games! Find out more at the Pintastic New England show!
    .................David Marston

#35 11 months ago
    Quoted from KJL:

Yes we have great locations here and brewpubs are blowing up with new games showing up everywhere. Its really fun to play in competitions because lots of people are playing for fun. What about everyone else?

Same here. Over the last few years a bunch of brewpubs have opened up in the L.A. area with clean, very well maintained games. The old arcades are gone and didn’t maintain the pins anyway. Lot of barcades here too. The redemption amusement centers don’t bother with pinball. Even though I have 4 pins at home, I play the majority on location.

#36 11 months ago

Yes to play in leagues. You should join a league to play games outside of your collection, support location play and meet other people.

#37 11 months ago
    Quoted from king_pin:

Anytime I travel away from home I look up pinball arcades to go play at. Even around here I go to the arcade probably once per month.

One of my favorite parts about traveling. Just this past summer, I ‘discovered’ Pinball Palace in Brunswick, GA. Left after 5-hours (my family was very understanding) and had played less than 20% of what they had available.

#38 11 months ago

Well, yes. At least a few times a month. But then I live in Seattle, where it seems hard to find a pub or bar, etc, that doesn't have at least a few pins. A buddy and I hit up 4Bs (https://www.facebook.com/TheBBBB/) and The Ice Box (https://www.iceboxarcade.com/) on Wednesday for some pinball variety.

#39 11 months ago

M-f seven sagas a week

#40 11 months ago

Dear Pinside —

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say no one plays pinball in arcades anymore. Papa says, “If you see it
    in Pinside, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, do people still play pinball in arcades ?
    Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical
    age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not
    comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s,
    are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared
    with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the
    whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there are players of pinball machines in arcades. They exist as certainly as love and generosity and devotion
    exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how
    dreary would be the world if there were no players of pinball machines in arcades! It would be as dreary as if there were no
    Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this
    existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which
    childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in players of pinball machines in arcades! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to
    hire men to watch in all the arcades on any day, but even if you did
    not see players on pinball machines, what would that prove? Nobody sees most players, but that is
    no sign that there are no players. The most real things in the world are those that neither
    children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s
    no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are
    unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering
    the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest
    men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that
    curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in
    all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No players of pinball machines in arcades! Thank God! they live and live forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia,
    nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, players will continue to make glad the heart of operators and arcades.

#41 11 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Dear Pinside —
    I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends no one plays pinball in arcades anymore. Papa says, “If you see it
    in Pinside, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, do people still play pinball in arcades ?
    Virginia O’Hanlon
    Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical
    age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not
    comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s,
    are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared
    with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the
    whole of truth and knowledge.
    Yes, Virginia, there are players of pinball machines in arcades. They exist as certainly as love and generosity and devotion
    exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how
    dreary would be the world if there were no players of pinball machines in arcades! It would be as dreary as if there were no
    Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this
    existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which
    childhood fills the world would be extinguished.
    Not believe in players of pinball machines in arcades! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to
    hire men to watch in all the arcades on any day, but even if you did
    not see players on pinball machines, what would that prove? Nobody sees most players, but that is
    no sign that there are no players. The most real things in the world are those that neither
    children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s
    no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are
    unseen and unseeable in the world.
    You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering
    the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest
    men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that
    curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in
    all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.
    No players of pinball machines in arcades! Thank God! they live and live forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia,
    nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, players will continue to make glad the heart of operators and arcades.

I don't remember the details, but many years ago my grandfather told me we were related to the person who wrote that story/book.

#42 11 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I don't remember the details, but many years ago my grandfather told me we were related to the person who wrote that story/book.

Francis Pharcellus Church wrote the editorial for the New York newspaper, The Sun.

#43 10 months ago

#44 10 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Wow. That’s an amazing claim to fame dude. I bet that gets you into NOBU on a Saturday night.

#45 10 months ago

Most "arcades" around me have only ticket redemption games and those stupid dancing games. If by chance they do have a pinball machine or two it's a crap shoot if they are playable. Recently I have been going to a bowling alley that has 30+ games. Plenty of new Stern games and a bunch of a WMS/Ballys from the 80s and a couple EMs. They even have the Cactus Canyon. Monster Bash AND Attack From Mars remakes. They also have a JJP Toy Story 4. They used to have a JJP Pirates but got rid of it. Too bad as I really like that game. About half of the Sterns are Insider Connected. When I get an achievement it is marked as verified, not just complete.

#46 10 months ago
    Quoted from Dan_Fielding:

Recently I have been going to a bowling alley that has 30+ games.

Do them a favor by telling us all the name and address, please.
    .................David Marston

#47 10 months ago

I need to get up to the westside soon and finally check this place out. It's Southland Lanes in northeast OH area.

#48 10 months ago

I only got into the workforce a year ago broke as shit, hell I can ONLY play on location.
    Every fri/sat.

#49 10 months ago
    Quoted from Pinhead_:

I only got into the workforce a year ago broke as shit, hell I can ONLY play on location.
    Every fri/sat.

Thank you for supporting a location or op !

#50 10 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thank you for supporting a location or op !

Absolutely, they host the DC league at mine, I came in late but figure I'll go for the winter season.
    Seems most of the time outside of league hours it's pretty quiet, which is always nice. Cheap beer, no wait for machines.

If I ever came into a substantial amount of money, I'd open my own pinbar.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.