76DCA6A7-000E-49F6-BDA3-7B17311338D7 (resized).jpeg
7F2091BE-4A46-4D06-BE82-A2E6CA97E199 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201021-073619_Facebook (resized).jpg
2BAB20EE-12A7-4908-8880-D236F89F2977 (resized).jpeg
AD4B3286-65E5-4526-9FEC-DFD920CEBD68 (resized).jpeg
2jbcq1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
454E0ABC-99B8-4A00-A176-7EBB398D1D84 (resized).jpeg
There are 412 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 3 years ago

Toy Story is right below WOZ and Data East’s Broadway Tommy on themes that will never sit in my house.

I first played Tommy a few weeks ago at a friend’s house when I realized it was based on a Broadway musical.

I’ll be moderated if I use the word I want to use about those themes. And thumbdowned regardless by anyone who owns WOZ or Tommy.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

One of my favorite drinking games is playing smash bros. So fun.

I like video games too, there are no similarities between toy story and smash bro

#153 3 years ago

I really need that Slash and Duff skeleton to put in my LE. Love the art!

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I do agree that picking themes that resonate better with the demographic (35-55) will lead to more excitement more sales. Toy Story is so strong a theme it will sell regardless

So r u saying Toy Story is a strong theme amongst 35 to 55 yr olds? Might be time for another Dino size asteroid to cleanse this planet. Jesus

I think these kid themes are good for u family guys who can convince the Mrs. to let u buy a 10K toy for the kids, Its all about the kids isn't it.
I believe the children r our future, teach them well and let them the lead way. U bunch of Bullshiters U.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

So r u saying Toy Story is a strong theme amongst 35 to 55 yr olds? Might be time for another Dino size asteroid to cleanse this planet. Jesus
I think these kid themes are good for u family guys who can convince the Mrs. to let u buy a 10K toy for the kids, Its all about the kids isn't it.
I believe the children r our future, teach them well and let them the lead way. U bunch of Bullshiters U.

HA! I always laugh to myself when guys say that the kids enjoy pinball, or they need one that is family friendly. The kids give zero shits about their pinball hobby. They need to just admit they like the, ummmm questionable, themes.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

HA! I always laugh to myself when guys say that the kids enjoy pinball, or they need one that is family friendly. The kids give zero shits about their pinball hobby. They need to just admit they like the, ummmm questionable, themes.

Kids dont know how to plunge the ball on a pin.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Kids dont know how to plunge the ball on a pin.

The little bastards walk away from it with a 4 player game started and the plunger music repeating non-stop.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The little bastards walk away from it with a 4 player game started and the plunger music repeating non-stop.

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I have zero interest but I can admit - Toy story theme is going to absolutely kill in sales. Resonates at all levels.

I just wonder how different some of the really manly men on this site would feel different if Toy Story was being built by Stern

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That’s the lame jackass parents fault for not showing them the ropes because they got no time for their kids.

Maybe. I don't have any little bastards, so just hypothesizing.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I just wonder how different some of the really manly men on this site would feel different if Toy Story was being built by Stern

You racist homophobic bastard

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Based on his comment, I’d say he doesn’t have kids either.

Me on the other hand, do have kids. You care for them 24/7, but you don’t surround them 24/7. Do i play dinosaurs with my son, yes. Do I do tea time with my daughter, hell yes. That doesn’t mean I’m going to supervise their every move and scold them when they leave a 4-player game of pinball running. My first world problems as a parent is my 3 yo daughter yelling ‘order a penis’ while we’re in the In n’ Out drive thru when I tell her I’m ordering our food. Or, my son running around naked in the house saying ‘I have a penis’ which my 3 yo daughter now thinks she has a penis too (which is probably why she’s trying to order a penis in the drive thru). That kind of shit is hilarious to me and those kind of moments you cherish and remember. You laugh with them while teaching them the ways of life. But, it has it’s flip side moments, like waking up aT 2am and staying up with Them for an hour+ because the ‘shadow monsters’ are going to pull her in. You’d be surprised what parents do and go through for their kids even if it doesn’t always show in public.

As for Pinball; the theme needs to resonate with me first and foremost. I’m not going to shelter my kids away from things like GNR or Iron Maiden. My daughter loves music and has her dance music but from time to time she’s like ‘I want to hear daddy’s rock n roll’ lol. I was never into, or even cared for legos as a kid. Both my kids love Legos and because of that, I do now too, big time! I love everything and anything lego now - The lego movies are awesome, all of them. They’re creative, funny as hell, entertaining and fun. I’d love for a JJP lego movie style pin. Toy Story on the other hand, i could care less. But, I have a friend my age who would absolutely love a toy story pin, and his kids are much older. Everybody has different tastes in this hobby and world, go figure.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Based on his comment, I’d say he doesn’t have kids either.
Me on the other hand, do have kids. You care for them 24/7, but you don’t surround them 24/7. Do i play dinosaurs with my son, yes. Do I do tea time with my daughter, hell yes. That doesn’t mean I’m going to supervise their every move and scold them when they leave a 4-player game of pinball running. My first world problems as a parent is my 3 yo daughter yelling ‘order a penis’ while we’re in the In n’ Out drive thru when I tell her I’m ordering our food. Or, my son running around naked in the house saying ‘I have a penis’ which my 3 yo daughter now thinks she has a penis too (which is probably why she’s trying to order a penis in the drive thru). That kind of shit is hilarious to me and those kind of moments you cherish and remember. You laugh with them while teaching them the ways of life. But, it has it’s flip side moments, like waking up aT 2am and staying up with Them for an hour+ because the ‘shadow monsters’ are going to pull her in. You’d be surprised what parents do and go through for their kids even if it doesn’t always show in public.
As for Pinball; the theme needs to resonate with me first and foremost. I’m not going to shelter my kids away from things like GNR or Iron Maiden. My daughter loves music and has her dance music but from time to time she’s like ‘I want to hear daddy’s rock n roll’ lol. I was never into, or even cared for legos as a kid. Both my kids love Legos and because of that, I do now too, big time! I love everything and anything lego now - The lego movies are awesome, all of them. They’re creative, funny as hell, entertaining and fun. I’d love for a JJP lego movie style pin. Toy Story on the other hand, i could care less. But, I have a friend my age who would absolutely love a toy story pin, and his kids are much older. Everybody has different tastes in this hobby and world, go figure.

Let get back to pinball talk.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Based on whose comment? Mine? Your incorrect if you were referring to me.
Let get back to pinball talk.

I was. But I do apologize (I’m tired, it was another night of shadow monsters) Because first rule of parenting is not telling others how to parent. Unless it’s abusive, then you step in. And the point of my post was about pinball, or trying to be. with the point being that pinball themes for me personally, as a parent, is that it’s for me first and foremost. But family themes that do resonate well with me are a big bonus. Toy story does nothing for me, and I don’t think it’ll sell well; but I am wrong a lot and hope I’m wrong with it so it gives me time to save up enough money for JJP’s next hit (for me).

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Toy Story is right below WOZ and Data East’s Broadway Tommy on themes that will never sit in my house.
I first played Tommy a few weeks ago at a friend’s house when I realized it was based on a Broadway musical.
I’ll be moderated if I use the word I want to use about those themes. And thumbdowned regardless by anyone who owns WOZ or Tommy.

You seem very secure in your sexuality.

Your loss, as Tommy is a great game.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

You racist homophobic bastard

You forgot misogynistic genocidal conservative!

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The same, embarrassed and ashamed. Given I'm one of the "Real manly men" Its not a case of who's building it. I feel the same with regards to TMNT. Looks like a good pin but the theme? not for me.

U know if its a case that finding Toy Story a bit of a immature theme that might be geared towards children then I have to ask, do u frequent this particular establishment? Not that there's anything wrong with it.
2jbcq1 (resized).jpg2jbcq1 (resized).jpg

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The same, embarrassed and ashamed. Given I'm one of the "Real manly men" Its not a case of who's building it. I feel the same with regards to TMNT. Looks like a good pin but the theme? not for me.
U know if its a case that finding Toy Story a bit of immature theme that might be geared towards children then I have to ask, do u frequent this particular establishment?[quoted image]

Is this hate speech?Nevermind you don’t have to abide by our American silliness

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Is this hate speech?

No not at all. How do u know I don't go there. Dance a little, maybe play a little Wonka pinball, who know manly stuff. I mean there's a lot of men there.

#171 3 years ago

I always appreciated the strange darkness and existential dread in Toy Story. There is a lot of interesting subtext to the movies that can be taken for granted, but I get why people think the overall theme is lame and juvenile.

This article is a fun read that explores some of those ideas:

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/22/the-beautiful-bleakness-of-the-toy-story-movies/

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

No not at all. How do u know I don't go there. Dance a little, maybe play a little Wonka pinball, who know manly stuff. I mean there's a lot of men there.

Dude you are incorrigible,there’s no helping you I’m going to play some Wonka and I will set my GnR right next to it

#173 3 years ago

Can someone in the thread let me know once someone finds some SE footage and the rest of the bullshit here is over? Thanks!

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

You seem very secure in your sexuality.
Your loss, as Tommy is a great game.

I hate musicals. Sue me.

Tommy is ok, ain't "Great" in my opinion. Theme sucks.

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You forgot misogynistic genocidal conservative!

Yea yea, that too.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I hate musicals. Sue me.
Tommy is ok, ain't "Great" in my opinion. Theme sucks.

It's a theme about a guy playing pinball. Might be the best pinball theme ever lol

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Dude you are incorrigible,there’s no helping you

Thank you very much.

Wonka

I don't think its me who can't be helped. Actually I can't but then again I don't want to be.

U really love that Wonka pinball don't ya? Good for u.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a theme about a guy playing pinball. Might be the best pinball theme ever lol

Not without The Who’s music it isn’t. I hate Broadway musicals and that is the theme. It’s not the movie musical.

And just because I enjoy playing pinball doesn’t mean I enjoy every bit of content that has anything related to pinball.

#179 3 years ago

I agree.. hot wheels, TMNT, now Toy Story, and nothing against Lego guy, but none if those themes resonate with me or my teenage son. We will still play them and probably enjoy them, but lining them up in a room. Umm no. And my boys grew up loving them. I feel like more adult themes are the future, or the themes that can bridge the gap of adult and family friendly. I dont confess to being a "cool" kid, but really.. whats next Power Rangers, the Wiggles, or My Lil Pony?

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

I dont confess to being a "cool" kid,

Around here u need to wear 1sies, use a sippy cup and love My little Pony otherwise ur a tough guy, cool kid who's not combfortable with his sexuality. Funny how certain folks love to point that out, a little too often.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Thank you very much.
Wonka
I don't think its me who can't be helped. Actually I can't but then again I don't want to be.
U really love that Wonka pinball don't ya? Good for u.

Wonka is better then Maiden any day and twice on Sunday!!!!Maiden is too easy!

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Too easy? You’re not playing the right maiden.

AD4B3286-65E5-4526-9FEC-DFD920CEBD68 (resized).jpegAD4B3286-65E5-4526-9FEC-DFD920CEBD68 (resized).jpeg
#183 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

As Archie Bunker would say. "Crappola"
Now who's being incorrigible. If I only knew what that meant it might really mean something here.
Maiden kicks the shit out of Wonka.

#184 3 years ago

Juuuuuust walked into this thread.

So, I'm guessing still no SE gameplay?

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

My grandson did that went in the game room had all 4 games going on 4 players ughhh

#187 3 years ago

I think toy story would be a step back. Looks to me that toy story happened a little while ago, so not hot as it once was.

JJP since Woz always seamed to have themes that never attracted me in any way.

Guns is the first theme that I might consider buying. I love the SE option too. I hope they keep that in the next releases. Like a Stern Pro option.

I hope JJP starts competing with Stern for hot cool licenses. James Bond war between stern and JJP would be epic.

Anyway, just my opinion

#188 3 years ago

By the way....Maiden is AWESOME

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

By the way....Maiden is AWESOME

So is GNR.

#190 3 years ago

GNR might be awesome. But like they said I know Maiden is Awesome. You should tell keith Maiden is too easy...

#191 3 years ago

Really funny hating on toy story, claiming it's not manly enough, then going right over to another thread praising a toy with motives and theme from a cartoon about a League of superheroes.
You cant make this shit up.
Thanks for todays first good laughter.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Really funny hating on toy story, claiming it's not manly enough

U see this is the problem. Its those of u that apparently have no problem with Toy Story bringing up the manly thing, and that's because ur questioning it urselves and then making excuses, I guess. I don't know. I do know its not a case of hating Toy Story but with all the great themes that would appeal to a much wider pinball buyer demographic why go with something geared towards children? As for Avengers, I agree 100% another great layout wasted on a Superhero theme. At least ur getting something u want, I'm fucked. Then when they finally make something i could really cherish the company dies. Alien and Predator was a major disappointment. I also sometimes forget who I'm dealing with in the pinball hobby. Comics and Toys and Fantasy movies about Hobbits and rings.

#193 3 years ago

Not trying to dump on this game or the SE owners, but after playing the LE quite a bit tonight, the SE missing left upper playfield and flipper and the non RGB hot rail lighting is gonna hurt the overall experience. The LE/CE left ramp has a diverter that allows shots to the upper left playfield in which the 4th flipper allows for the cool Gibson guitar lock or the cool left Fender bass string ramp. Looks like in the SE, a left ramp shot will either divert to a quick left flipper ramp delivery or divert to a top lanes or right loop exit and probably a virtual lock or something. Not nearly as satisfying of a shot/s. Hope I’m wrong but it looks like they give you more cosmetic bling and not enough gameplay as it was meant to be. I guess we shall see.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

U see this is the problem. Its those of u that apparently have no problem with Toy Story bringing up the manly thing, and that's because ur questioning it urselves and then making excuses, I guess. I don't know. I do know its not a case of hating Toy Story but with all the great themes that would appeal to a much wider pinball buyer demographic why go with something geared towards children? As for Avengers, I agree 100% another great layout wasted on a Superhero theme. At least ur getting something u want, I'm fucked. Then when they finally make something i could really cherish the company dies. Alien and Predator was a major disappointment. I also sometimes forget who I'm dealing with in the pinball hobby. Comics and Toys and Fantasy movies about Hobbits and rings.

I reacted at the first part, but as a whole,
I clearly see your view. Alien is one of my dream-themes and if there was a better worked thru and functioning remake i'd be onboard. Predator is a great movie, but i cant see it as a pin.

On the child part. I think themes as wonka, toy story and such is perfectly fine and if it can draw youngsters toward pinball, thats a great bonus.

Also there are so many great themes that would suit everybody. Of oldies bttf and goonies are easily mentioned.
I can understand toy story, not beeing fancied by older guys, me myself is not to fond of it, even though realising it has potential as a pin-theme.

Going thru animated stuff, i have a hard time thinking anybody, at any age, who doesn't like themes as finding nemo and coco for example.

#195 3 years ago

This argument about manly themes would make sense if we were debating the newest Harley or a tattoo you plan to get on your face.

Instead we’re talking about a mechanical toy with flashing lights in your man cave. Let’s not pretend that it screams chest hair and machismo. Clearly there’s room for both ninja turtles and GNR in this hobby. Toy Story will sell just fine. Even if it’s not what you think of when I tell you it comes with a 5 inch woody.

They should probably just find out what jammies kids wore and lunchboxes kids had in the 80s to figure out the next hot theme...

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

GNR might be awesome. But like they said I know Maiden is Awesome. You should tell keith Maiden is too easy...

He said himself it’s too easy.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Yes. That’s why he made JP harder. A bit of an over rotation if you ask me because JP can be frustrating. AIQ is a good balance.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

On the child part. I think themes as wonka, toy story and such is perfectly fine and if it can draw youngsters toward pinball

What’s the deal with the “if it brings kids into pinball” argument I see bandied about so often?

The hell with kids. They cannot buy these games. They cannot be patrons of establishments that have pins without an adult bringing them there. Maybe in some cases, like a bar, they couldn’t enter even with an adult.

This is my hobby. This is your hobby. This isn’t a child’s hobby. The kids enjoy their Tik Tok phone apps. Pinball is boring to them. Unless they’re autistic or on the spectrum and can get lost batting a pinball around (like me, I suspect), they will walk away from a pin after setting a 4 player game.

Bring on a John Wick pin
Matrix 4 is coming soon, how about finally a Matrix pin?
Kingsman Secret Service
Wanna go back in time for a theme? Pulp Fiction.
Mad Max had a recent movie

Fucking Toy Story? Weak.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Keith said it was too easy?All I know is the couple times I played Maiden I wore that bitch out.I guess starting pinball with Whirlwind made me an expert at upper ramp shots.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Looks like in the SE, a left ramp shot will either divert to a quick left flipper ramp delivery or divert to a top lanes or right loop exit and probably a virtual lock or something.

This has been known literally since day one. The left ramp on the SE doesn't divert to the top lanes or right loop, it is just a ramp. Guess what that mean? the ball is always in play, maybe 1-2 seconds on the ramp and it's back at your flippers. No ball lock shot and shooting another ball from the shooter lane, just keep on playing. The ball is virtually locked like on Metallica pro.

I won't miss the upper PF (I don't think) but will miss the color changing hot rails (as you mentioned).

the SE will play faster (it literally can not play slower than the LE because there is no interruption from the main PF).

there has been endless arguments between people who own Met and TWD premium/ LE that their game is better than Met/TWD pro but there are plenty of people who love Met/TWD/GOT/SW/BKSOR/Maiden/JP/DP/GotG/etc.. pro and don't mind paying 30% less money for a very similar pinball machine that is just missing a few extra features

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Not nearly as satisfying of a shot/s.

this is your opinion, but some might prefer the left ramp shot may be more satisfying because it brings the ball right back into play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11,000.00
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 210.00
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 412 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-seen-gnr-se-being-played/page/4?hl=rivv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.