76DCA6A7-000E-49F6-BDA3-7B17311338D7 (resized).jpeg
7F2091BE-4A46-4D06-BE82-A2E6CA97E199 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201021-073619_Facebook (resized).jpg
2BAB20EE-12A7-4908-8880-D236F89F2977 (resized).jpeg
AD4B3286-65E5-4526-9FEC-DFD920CEBD68 (resized).jpeg
2jbcq1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
454E0ABC-99B8-4A00-A176-7EBB398D1D84 (resized).jpeg
There are 412 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
#51 3 years ago

Check out the featurette video, the most impressive light show IMO is when the rails are white. Color will add some more variety across songs but I think the wow factor is gonna be similar.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Check out the featurette video, the most impressive light show IMO is when the rails are white. Color will add some more variety across songs but I think the wow factor is gonna be similar.

You talking about the SDTM video? I don’t remember seeing SE light show. You remember what time it was?

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

You talking about the SDTM video? I don’t remember seeing SE light show. You remember what time it was?

I think they just mean the most impressive moments were when the rgb rails happened to be white.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Curious on this as well. I inquired in chat as to the lighting differences and according to Joe Katz the sole differences are missing mechanical stage lights and rgb vs white on the rails. Playfield lighting identical, so I would think closer than people make it out to be.
In my mind I am probably downplaying the importance of the rails, but only because I ordered the SE, and want to believe its amazing as well.

I’m sure the SE has an awesome light show, but there are some things that the RGB rails do that are really cool like the heartbeat on Coma and the flatline. They are incorporated well into the total light show.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I think they just mean the most impressive moments were when the rgb rails happened to be white.

yea that’s what I mean. When they first introduce the rails in the video and show the game blowing up they are in white. Several key moments even on LE/CE are white- so white is Certainly capable of delivering the wow. I think the benefit of color is more variety.

Although every insert is RGB and there are four hexagonal lights with 6 RGB over the stage so maybe that’s enough to create color ambiances...

#56 3 years ago

Yea for me having them be white all the time just looks like fluorescent bulbs. I’m not a fan of colored GI but these are more like inserts. November Rain really shows them off well!

#57 3 years ago

I'm also super interested in more info on the standard edition. It says there are 200 RGB leds on the standard, and white hotrails, and the LE has 350 RGB leds, and color hotrails.

Are they double counting the hot rails? Where are the extra 150 RGB leds? The map?

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I'm also super interested in more info on the standard edition. It says there are 200 RGB leds on the standard, and white hotrails, and the LE has 350 RGB leds, and color hotrails.
Are they double counting the hot rails? Where are the extra 150 RGB leds? The map?

The extra rgb lights are exclusively in the hotrails, and 2 mechanical spotlights. There are only 2 more physical lights, (the 2 stage lights). I found the wording confusing myself, so I asked the other day during the Buffalo stream.

*edit, also whatever lights are included on the ball lock and upper playfield.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

The rails, two articulating spot lights, I think the guitar lock has 6 RGB inserts, though I think the stage on the SE has some additional lights too

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

and there are four hexagonal lights with 6 RGB over the stage so maybe that’s enough to create color ambiances...

Seeing these in person was very impressive. So happy they are in all models. They are stunning. All I can think about is how awesome this will look in my dark gameroom, considering how bright they were in the broad daylight and well lit arcade I was in.

#61 3 years ago

So dumb question on the Hot Rails. In my eyes these are just improved an improved version of the LED strips people have been adding to other games. These are done really nice and lighting programmed with the game so it’s a big improvement. It says the SE is only white and not RGB but I wonder if they actually have the RGB’s in them and the code is just set to white only. It would not make sense from a manufacturing perspective to have two different parts if you don’t have to. And it’s a CHEAP way to add perceived value to the LE. Take away something that is actually there.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

So dumb question on the Hot Rails. In my eyes these are just improved an improved version of the LED strips people have been adding to other games. These are done really nice and lighting programmed with the game so it’s a big improvement. It says the SE is only white and not RGB but I wonder if they actually have the RGB’s in them and the code is just set to white only. It would not make sense from a manufacturing perspective to have two different parts if you don’t have to. And it’s a CHEAP way to add perceived value to the LE. Take away something that is actually there.

Hard to say, but there certainly is a cost difference in white vs rgb led lights. It may be minimal , but my money is on they are physically a different product. Code is the big question. Ideally SE owners could swap out the leds and be good to go, but I’m not holding my breath.

Thankfully all play field and backboard lighting is identical.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Hard to say, but there certainly is a cost difference in white vs rgb led lights. It may be minimal , but my money is on they are physically a different product. Code is the big question. Ideally SE owners could swap out the leds and be good to go, but I’m not holding my breath.
Thankfully all play field and backboard lighting is identical.

I suspect modders will figure this out providing the code for RGB is already there on the SE. I am sure someone will look into this as a mod.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I suspect modders will figure this out providing the code for RGB is already there on the SE. I am sure someone will look into this as a mod.

Very highly unlikely. Yes one could modify these to be RGB but the would never be controller or have the same effect which would have no value.

#65 3 years ago

Interesting discussion. I have the SE POTC, the white lights down by the flippers are colored RGB’s on the LE/CE. I actually prefer the white only in this case. The colored RGB are too dark for my tastes on the LE POTC.

I am in on the LE, but, starting to wonder if the speedy SE may be more fun. If same play field lights except spots, I am wondering. A speed game, GNR music, and a hi end light show sounds pretty intriguing.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

It says the SE is only white and not RGB but I wonder if they actually have the RGB’s in them and the code is just set to white only.

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Nope, white only bulbs

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Interesting discussion. I have the SE POTC, the white lights down by the flippers are colored RGB’s on the LE/CE. I actually prefer the white only in this case. The colored RGB are too dark for my tastes on the LE POTC.
I am in on the LE, but, starting to wonder if the speedy SE may be more fun. If same play field lights except spots, I am wondering. A speed game, GNR music, and a hi end light show sounds pretty intriguing.

I think it’s a reasonable question. If the core/highlight of the game are the songs... I imagine that the upper playfield and guitar lock get very little action during them...

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

The difference in my opinion is that POTC is not a rock concern so yeah, regular GI might fit better for that theme. As for a more speed game. After playing both last night I did not notice any speed difference from the SE to the LE. Again, I think some are equating the upper playfield to say POTC where you are Playing the upper playfield. Essentially you are simply using that level to lock a ball, quickly divert it back to the left flipper, or let it roll down to the center loop. The ball is only up there a few seconds. Its not a game in a game slow play type thing.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Very highly unlikely. Yes one could modify these to be RGB but the would never be controller or have the same effect which would have no value.

Yelobird,

Do you believe the mod people can replicate the moving spot lights and the sound bar topper concept?

#70 3 years ago

How is the GI quality?

I understand the special effects are bright and dazzling, differing only in color vs. white, but how is the playfield lighting? (Thinking of WOZ here - beautiful lighting effects but playfield too dark for a dark room.)

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Yelobird,
Do you believe the mod people can replicate the moving spot lights and the sound bar topper concept?

I have No doubt you do Not need a modder to replicate the sound bar. I personally see no value in that CE upgrade. The game is Dam loud with the 2.1 surround they have in it and IF anyone adds the sound bar its a simple $60 sound bar available at any store. Not 3k though. As for the spot lights, very highly doubt it. That was some seriously impressive tech. Yes it could be made but the way it was coded and controlled would never happen. A generic spot light to me would look like crap. These things are Very impressive and unique. Best described as Moving RGB lights throughout the air space of the playfield. Almost gave the lighting a 3D effect.

#72 3 years ago

I am torn between the LE and the SE, I am personally low on my feeling for the upper PF which is the main difference.

LE

better lighting
better art
shaker
invisible glass

costs more
not sure about the upper PF (it seems like meh, reading some people say you just hit the ball either lock or to the bass ramp).

SE

costs a lot less
probably faster just the ramp (no upper PF)

worst light
worst art (imo)

Easy to get... shaker plus PDI glass would add ~$400 to the cost so it'll be $2350 cost to get the better art, better light and upper PF.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am torn between the LE and the SE, I am personally low on my feeling for the upper PF which is the main difference.
LE
better lighting
better art
shaker
invisible glass
costs more
not sure about the upper PF (it seems like meh, reading some people say you just hit the ball either lock or to the bass ramp).
SE
costs a lot less
worst light
worst art (imo)
Easy to get... shaker plus PDI glass would add ~$400 to the cost so it'll be $2350 cost to get the better art, better light and upper PF.

7563D78C-DCD9-43F6-AB4B-0B428F42E17E (resized).png7563D78C-DCD9-43F6-AB4B-0B428F42E17E (resized).png
#74 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

LE
better lighting
better art
shaker
invisible glass
costs more
SE
costs a lot less
worst light
worst art (imo)

I feel like I and Many have Tried to answer your multi post personal dilemma lol. Bottom line if Cost is your primary concern just buy on price. The LE adds WAY more then an upper playfield and is WAY worth the cost. Why would you not want to enjoy the experience by design vs by Cost? If you end up selling Either long term your likely to have the same depreciation for either title. Maybe wait and play a game as it appears nobody will be able to assist in your dilemma.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I feel like I and Many have Tried to answer your multi post personal dilemma lol. Bottom line if Cost is your primary concern just buy on price. The LE adds WAY more then an upper playfield and is WAY worth the cost. Why would you not want to enjoy the experience by design vs by Cost? If you end up selling Either long term your likely to have the same depreciation for either title. Maybe wait and play a game as it appears nobody will be able to assist in your dilemma.

Good summary on how to go at this very first world problem question . What is your take on the extra lock in the CE? Does that ad much if anything to the experience?

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The designer designed the SE as well. In fact he pushed for the price point and it’s clear that it is a source of pride for him. 2800 is a huge price difference. 41% of the price of the SE and 50% the price of a stern pro...

The upper PF and ball lock are certainly very cool but they don’t seem to add much to gameplay... The focus of this game is the songs and I can’t imagine paying attention to an upper PF during multi ball. I can certainly see those features becoming annoying once the newness wears off and you want to speed up gameplay.

#77 3 years ago

For me I’m looking at possibly SE would love LE but I’m already committed to AIQ premium and just bought DP premium NIB with that said the money tree in the backyard is getting bare.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

The designer designed the SE as well. In fact he pushed for the price point and it’s clear that it is a source of pride for him. 2800 is a huge price difference. 41% of the price of the SE and 50% the price of a stern pro...
The upper PF and ball lock are certainly very cool but they don’t seem to add much to gameplay... The focus of this game is the songs and I can’t imagine paying attention to an upper PF during multi ball. I can certainly see those features becoming annoying once the newness wears off and you want to speed up gameplay.

Well said , for me I just don’t care about the upper play field. A 6750 dollar JJP is just too tempting to pass up. Seems like a low risk even if I hate it, I’ll recoup almost all my money.

rai - I sincerely understand the struggle , I drive myself nuts every time I buy a machine. Hopefully you’ll see something that helps you pull the trigger , but I just think you’re driving yourself nuts with all of this. It’s YOUR game, and it sounds like you could care less about the upper play field. So you just need to decide if the bells and whistles are worth it. The bells and whistles on LE certainly are amazing. I LOVE the stage lights and cymbals. But I love money more.

Good luck

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Good summary on how to go at this very first world problem question . What is your take on the extra lock in the CE? Does that ad much if anything to the experience?

For me, I Totally do not see the value in the extra lock. In 40 games I think I got the coma mode one time. Locking the ball on the left or in the ball chute to me makes no difference and the game play is Exactly the Same! Why people feel cheated on something so minimal is odd to me. I personally would not add any justification on the CE based on this simple lock.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

For me, I Totally do not see the value in the extra lock. In 40 games I think I got the coma mode one time. Locking the ball on the left or in the ball chute to me makes no difference and the game play is Exactly the Same! Why people feel cheated on something so minimal is odd to me. I personally would not add any justification on the CE based on this simple lock.

Absolutely. Coma ball save isn’t common at all in the current code. Maybe they code it to be easier to qualify but currently it’s not qualified very much for me. I can check the audits I guess. And even if it happens more often, it’s not like you can’t play the mode. You just don’t see your ball in the infirmary waiting to be saved. From what Keith says there may be a light show in there also.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Because it is there and it is human nature to want what we don’t do r can’t have. I sold my FH and amd getting the LE bit I will always wish I could have bought the CE. I like the colors better and the cab art and I want the features the CE has even though they are tiny. But the CEs at gone and 3000 is a big difference. I can afford it but I don’t want to spend the cash. My wife said to just buy the machine but I wouldn’t bite till I sold the FH

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Because it is there and it is human nature to want what we don’t do r can’t have. I sold my FH and amd getting the LE bit I will always wish I could have bought the CE. I like the colors better and the cab art and I want the features the CE has even though they are tiny. But the CEs at gone and 3000 is a big difference. I can afford it but I don’t want to spend the cash. My wife said to just buy the machine but I wouldn’t bite till I sold the FH

Thats a very realistic approach. For me (opinion only!) the up-charge to the LE from the SE is a No Brainer! Going to the CE aside from art I personally do not see the value added must have Other than the rarity of availability. The LE with a low dollar sound bar is the Same game play as the CE. Exactly the same! If the art and braggin right of exclusivity mean 3k for some totally respect that.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

rai - I sincerely understand the struggle , I drive myself nuts every time I buy a machine. Hopefully you’ll see something that helps you pull the trigger , but I just think you’re driving yourself nuts with all of this. It’s YOUR game, and it sounds like you could care less about the upper play field. So you just need to decide if the bells and whistles are worth it. The bells and whistles on LE certainly are amazing. I LOVE the stage lights and cymbals. But I love money more.
Good luck

my point is sometimes I like both trim levels (could be happy with both) but can like the art on one or the features on the other.

I was getting SW comic and I really love the comic pro art a lot more but I loved the hyper loop shot on the premium and ended up getting SW premium.

with GnR it's the opposite that I like the art a lot more on the LE but (think) that I rather have the SE (no upper PF). I watch the streams and the upper PF doesn't seem that vital, like people say the ball is up there a few seconds and most of the streams I see there are so many balls in play or the upper PF shot is ignored.

#84 3 years ago

I think the SE is missing the Power chord rule which seems like a fun part of the ruleset. I'm still interested in the SE because it is such a good value but definitely need to see gameplay and see what else is missing in terms of rules.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think the SE is missing the Power chord rule which seems like a fun part of the ruleset. I'm still interested in the SE because it is such a good value but definitely need to see gameplay and see what else is missing in terms of rules.

what is the power chord rule?

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It’s a jackpot you can get for locking all balls in the guitar neck during songs. The SE doesn’t have that.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Locking balls during multiball. Then, when you’re down to one ball, you have a hurry up to place the last ball in the lock to collect a power chord jackpot. It’s very difficult but rewarding, My best is 3 balls - but this is only based on 7 games where I really only went for the power chord in the last few games.

That said, I was concerned on the mini pf gameplay and actually surprised i liked it. But, i liked it in other ways that some may not like. For instance, some left ramp shots go directly into the lock without any mini pf play, i like that a lot! Also, it’s quick and simple, no continuous play up there or bashing, it’s quick to make either of the two shots or drain. So it doesn’t slow down the game, and make it more inviting to me personally, as it increases the intensity to get a ball locked for multiball, or to lock balls for the power chord. The SE is just hit the left ramp for a virtual lock and no power chord rule.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

It’s a jackpot you can get for locking all balls in the guitar neck during songs. The SE doesn’t have that.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Locking balls during multiball. Then, when you’re down to one ball, you have a hurry up to place the last ball in the lock to collect a power chord jackpot. It’s very difficult but rewarding, My best is 3 balls - but this is only based on 7 games where I really only went for the power chord in the last few games.
That said, I was concerned on the mini pf gameplay and actually surprised i liked it. But, i liked it in other ways that some may not like. For instance, some left ramp shots go directly into the lock without any mini pf play, i like that a lot! Also, it’s quick and simple, no continuous play up there or bashing, it’s quick to make either of the two shots or drain. So it doesn’t slow down the game, and make it more inviting to me personally, as it increases the intensity to get a ball locked for multiball, or to lock balls for the power chord. The SE is just hit the left ramp for a virtual lock and no power chord rule.

thanks

#89 3 years ago

Let’s see some scores! My best so far:

Also my best song jackpot was 8M on Patience today. Such a rush.

3B1E5384-2BA5-435A-A1F7-DF8E83238378 (resized).jpeg3B1E5384-2BA5-435A-A1F7-DF8E83238378 (resized).jpeg
#90 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image]

Edit: whoops thought I was in the owners thread.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image]

Nice score.

Since folks mentioned SE and Le lighting, While I was playing at your house yesterday the lighting on the Le is great, but dang I had trouble seeing the ball at some points while playing with the lighting being too much. Just one of the couple minor minor complaints of the game I had along with any DI or Wonka single keyboard sound notes need to be removed. But overall GnR is a winner at many levels. Good work JJP!

#92 3 years ago

has anyone seen any video of the SE posted?

#93 3 years ago

For those buying the SE, GET A SHAKER! probably the best shaker integration I have seen.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

For those buying the SE, GET A SHAKER! probably the best shaker integration I have seen.

The subtle shaker action when hitting those crispy orbits sold me on a shaker for my SE.

#95 3 years ago

Definitely more excited about the SE now. The stage in the back looks much better with this view versus the top down. Still not crazy about the side art work but once it’s in a lineup of pins usually don’t see much of it anyway. Would love a LE but near $10k shipped is a lot.

D34F1F31-3327-461B-AFF9-A41BE467D83D (resized).jpegD34F1F31-3327-461B-AFF9-A41BE467D83D (resized).jpeg

#96 3 years ago

Damn, I like that.

#97 3 years ago

se looks great. win win win on all 3 models.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Definitely more excited about the SE now. The stage in the back looks much better with this view versus the top down. Still not crazy about the side art work but once it’s in a lineup of pins usually don’t see much of it anyway. Would love a LE but near $10k shipped is a lot.
[quoted image]

That really does look nice with the stage up there! I really hope someone gets one of these soon for pics or a stream!

#99 3 years ago

I'd really like to play the SE, but the locations here got LE's and everyone I know that is buying one is getting a CE or LE. Talk about 1st world problems! Regardless, this is an absolute slam dunk for JJP. I've been itching for a Dialed In for a while now, but GNR will probably be the first JJP I get for home.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

That really does look nice with the stage up there! I really hope someone gets one of these soon for pics or a stream!

Yeah the (poor) topdown view doesn't do it justice at all.

But then again, maybe it's supposed to start like this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

6,790 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

7,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11,000.00
$ 210.00
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 412 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-seen-gnr-se-being-played/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.